Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Mascherano or lucas...

Mascherano
77%
Lucas
23%

Total votes : 43

Postby Fo Dne » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:26 am

You're drawing at home to an average side. You've got these two in midfield. Mascherano playing at 80% of what he's capable of and looking like he could step it up, Lucas playing at 100% of what he's capable of.

You need a winner and you have to take one of them off, who do you change? And why? (Which player do you bring off?)

I can't surely be the only one who thinks its complete stupidity to take of Mascherano ahead of Lucas. I'd be interested to here what everyone thinks and why.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:35 am

Well I was one of the people who quite liked Lucas when he first came (Stu was initially unsure of him too as I recall). He still just occasionally pings one of first time, or kills it dead on the run and just gets me thinking that he might one day make a footballer. His problem it seems to me though is that he is obsessed with ball retention above all else, and because of this plays a succession of nothing balls in the direction he is facing.

He sort of gets his foot in, is quite good in the air for a small guy, but never ever looks like he's about to make a contribution to a game other than simply moving the ball onto the next player in line. There's no perception in his passing, no edge, no crispness. He doesn't attack it in the box, he kind of drifts into spaces where the ball has already been. He doesn't drive forward, he kind of allows the flow of the game to take him there.

Ultimately I think he'll probably go on to become a nice tidy player in a nice tidy team. That team probably won't be in England I shouldn't think, and in horseracing parlance despite having ability, he hasn't trained on.

In the game in question, it was ridiculous IMHO to rest Alonso and play Lucas, and even worse to bring the Argentinian off when Alonso came on.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:51 am

I still think Masch played ahead of Alonso and Lucas was in for the injured SG.
Alonso and Masch play off each others toes so the only option was to bring of Masch.
I posted wrong because I didnt bother to read the open post I though it was a straight question and of course there would be only one winner.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:19 am

Masch has still not got back to the form of last season, but neither has Lucas. Presumably the Olympics have played their part? I would pick Masch on crutches ahead of Lucas though.
account deleted by request

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:30 am

Fo Dne wrote:You're drawing at home to an average side. You've got these two in midfield. Mascherano playing at 80% of what he's capable of and looking like he could step it up, Lucas playing at 100% of what he's capable of.

You need a winner and you have to take one of them off, who do you change? And why? (Which player do you bring off?)

I can't surely be the only one who thinks its complete stupidity to take of Mascherano ahead of Lucas. I'd be interested to here what everyone thinks and why.

Five to one for bringing Masch off? ???

Either you completely misunderstand people's love for Lucas, Stu, or you've devised your poll poorly.  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:33 am

I thought the choice was simply Masch or Lucas, not which one do you bring off. :D
account deleted by request

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:29 am

i voted to bring Mash off. simply cause he offers less of an attacking threat then Lucas who plays farther upfield and would offer more support in attacks. but Mash is the better player for sure. actually a better scenario would be taking OFF Mash for Lucas.

*Badbob i thought the poll was cunningly done :D *
maypaxvobiscum

Postby metalhead » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:24 am

s@int wrote:I thought the choice was simply Masch or Lucas, not which one do you bring off. :D

Agreed  :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Dotty » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:33 am

it of a closed comment, but this seems pointless to me.

Mascharano is quality end of
image001.gif
Red Dotty

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 pm

I am surprised that "the all seeing heavenly eye of football player catogorisation and rating" does not know that these are two completely different types of midfielders.

For the hard of thinking:

Mascherano is adefensive midfielder.

Lucas is an attacking midfielder.

Disclaimer(s)

- I know which one is the better player, but when you are looking to win a game, for me you take off a defensive player over an attack minded one ALL DAY EVERY DAY.

- I do not love Lucas
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:44 pm

There are so many disclaimers being made these days. :D

Disclaimer, I dont think people making disclaimers are numpties or anything like that, infact it is rightly justified given the amount of numpties responding to those without disclaimers and jumping to conclusions.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:48 pm

Bam wrote:There are so many disclaimers being made these days. :D

Disclaimer, I dont think people making disclaimers are numpties or anything like that, infact it is rightly justified given the amount of numpties responding to those without disclaimers and jumping to conclusions.

Thanks for that.

Disclaimer - thanks for the above post, but this does not necessarily extend to any previous posts that you have made.
This thanks post in not transfareable.
For full terms and conditions please visit the website www.assholesonforumswreckmyhead.co.uk/whatthefcuk
Your statuatory rights are not afected.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:58 pm

You take Lucas off and ask Xabi to play further up the pitch.

Simple really.

Lucas may be an attacking midfielder in some peoples descriptions, but i am yet to see any attacking threat this season from him.
With Alonso further forward you at least have the hope that he will spot a clever pass in a position that is more likely to hurt the opposition.
Lucas was offering nothing at all, i genuinely believe that rafa was being stubborn with that decision.
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:01 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
Bam wrote:There are so many disclaimers being made these days. :D

Thanks for that.

Disclaimer - thanks for the above post, but this does not necessarily extend to any previous posts that you have made.
This thanks post in not transfareable.
For full terms and conditions please visit the website www.assholesonforumswreckmyhead.co.uk/whatthefcuk
Your statuatory rights are not afected.

This should of been extended to previous posts made by me. I will be taking this up with the powers that be online at www.assholesonforumswreckmyhead.co.uk/whatthefcuk. If not, I want my fiver back.

Disclaimer-There is no Disclaimer !

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:08 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:You take Lucas off and ask Xabi to play further up the pitch.

Simple really.

Lucas may be an attacking midfielder in some peoples descriptions, but i am yet to see any attacking threat this season from him.
With Alonso further forward you at least have the hope that he will spot a clever pass in a position that is more likely to hurt the opposition.
Lucas was offering nothing at all, i genuinely believe that rafa was being stubborn with that decision.

Quote of the century.

Disclaimer, Its not personal mate, just love the way you have adamantly decleared the way to win premier league as though its like splitting peas.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion