Mascherano - Class

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Thu May 24, 2007 5:21 pm

Agre with all said, a superb disciplined, measured and professional performance. Didnt stand out from any spcific angle until you realise that Kaka's contribution was zero. Wonderful.

I wonder how it would work out with him and Tevez in the same lineup? (and we're not talking about what happened at West 'ammmm ?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chrissy » Thu May 24, 2007 5:22 pm

From Wikipedia:

On February 10 Liverpool added Mascherano to their Champions League squad and gave him the number 20 shirt. Eventually, on February 20, 2007, Mascherano's move to Liverpool became official after the Premier League accepted Liverpool's request to register the player at Anfield.[22]

After he signed for Liverpool, he made a notable gaffe when he stated "I can consider myself a Red Devil"[23]. However, the Red Devils is the nickname of Liverpool's arch-rivals Manchester United, whereas Liverpool's nickname is "The Reds".

It is widely reported to be an 18 month permanent deal, though a fee and/or other arrangements are as yet unclear. The fee has been rumoured to be £1.5 million, but the Daily Mail have reported that Liverpool bought the player outright from MSI for £10 million.[24]

Mascherano made his debut for Liverpool against Sheffield United on 24th February 2007[25] and was praised by the Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez and team captain Steven Gerrard after Liverpool's 4 - 0 victory. After playing in a match against Arsenal on 31 March, Benitez called Mascherano a "monster of a player."[26] His first Champions League appearance came in the quarter-final first leg against PSV in Eindhoven on 3 April. Hastily establishing himself as a starter at the club, Mascherano played in the Champions League Final that year against AC Milan, which Liverpool lost 2-1.
Chrissy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu May 24, 2007 5:22 pm

Chrissy wrote:I thought Javier was on a permanent deal?

No he was only here on an 18monther
Last edited by tubby on Thu May 24, 2007 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gato_busta » Thu May 24, 2007 5:57 pm

Mascherano and Xabi are the only holding midfielders we have at the moment. Our midfield as it is right now consists of Kewell or Riise on the left, Xabi and Mascherano as holding midfielders, Pennant on the right and Gerrard and Sissoko on Central midfield. Now, in Brazil Leiva is being called the brazilian Gerrard since he agreed the deal with Liverpool, that's because they are very simmilar players. Leiva is not as big as Gerrard (in build and height) but he is simmilar to Gerrard as he can play in various positions across midfield, although is best used as a central mid that can go up to the box to atack and down to defend just as well. He has been used as holding midfield but so has Gerrard and it is not his natural position (don't always trust what you read in wikipedia :D ).

In this case we have a midfield that would consist of

Kewell/Riise       Gerrard/Leiva/Sissoko       Pennant
                         Mascherano/Xabi

Luis Garcia is able to fill in the right, left, attacking midfield or as a secondary striker. Of this midfield, I think that Sissoko is the one that might have the least games, as I dont see him fitting much into the team now with Mascherano who does a simmilar yet more effective job. Sissoko breaks play yet from a higher up position on the field as Mascherano can do the same but deeper into our own field, which is better at the time we have to counter attack. I think we whould still keep him for another year, but dont see Sissoko staying for the long run.

We need another player on the right, as Pennant alone is not enough. Another player on the left, as Kewell and Aurelio are injury prone and Riise might still be playing as left back. Were all set on holding and central mid so once we get the left and right sorted, as well as another striker (poacher) we will be all set. Well, maybe also a goal keeper as Carson apparently doesn't want to be a sub. Maybe another central defender if Sami leaves... and another left back if aurleio stays injured...
"Jugadores hay muchos, ídolos muy pocos"

Descansa en paz Claudia (9/10/1984 - 11/25/2007)
gato_busta

Postby LFC2007 » Thu May 24, 2007 6:23 pm

Seeing as Joorabchian owns the rights to the player, he is NOT a permanent signing. His release clause, if it's anything like Tevez's is ridiculous.
LFC2007

Postby Sabre » Thu May 24, 2007 6:23 pm

GAto_busta: Very well put  :)

And thanks for the insight on Leiva, mate.

I agree on the signing for the right. I just wondered whether the new Brazilian guy could do the job. If any, I'd bring somebody for the right midfielder role, as the right winger role is decently covered by Pennant, IMHO.

(I'd also expect some quality more in the left, once Gonzo is gone)
Last edited by Sabre on Thu May 24, 2007 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Thu May 24, 2007 6:32 pm

Yes I agree, very good post mate.

I agree with all of it. Apart from the Lucas thing, but I didn't know that :laugh:
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Soul » Thu May 24, 2007 7:24 pm

Mascherano ’The Monster’. Boy, I like that nickname!

Yesterday he took Kaka and the other dangerous Milan players out almost singlehandedly.

However I think he already proved his worth already when he was playing back in Argentina. West Ham didn’t use him, so I was afraid it would take a bit of time before he returned to his normal level. It’s pure class and character the way he played his way into the biggest club in the world like that, impressing Rafa in the making.

In my view Mascherano is already better than Cambiasso were in his best days. I don’t think Argentina has had a defensive midfielder this good since Redondo.

Marvellous skills that is a manifestation of physical skill, good positioning and sheer intelligence on a football pitch.

I believe if Lucas Leiva arrives we can field either 4 or 5 midfielders depending on the opponent and whether we buy good striker(s) this summer. Gerrard is untouchable, Mascherano is a keeper, Xavi is a good man to have on the bench and Sissoko should leave if we get Grevio.

Surely Kuyt, Crouch and Bellamy all need more creativity from the midfield to score the amount of goals we need to win the Premiership. Grevio in time could become the man who delivers that.

And yes, with the money we have we should be thinking of signing players, not selling them (with a few exceptions like Garcia, Gonzalez and if we get Leiva - Sissoko). In should come IMO one big goalscorer who can produce 15-20+ goals in 38 Premiership games, a left winger, a right winger and a defender who can fill both fullback and central defence to cover.

We need to buy Mascherano outright and offer him a 5 year contract, if you ask me. I’m certainly looking forward for this summer to see who we brings in and whether we sign Mascherano on a permanent deal.
Last edited by Soul on Mon May 28, 2007 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan Mølby: 'Liverpool have a soul'
Soul

Postby gato_busta » Fri May 25, 2007 5:58 am

Uhmmm... who's Grevio? ???
"Jugadores hay muchos, ídolos muy pocos"

Descansa en paz Claudia (9/10/1984 - 11/25/2007)
gato_busta

Postby Soul » Sat May 26, 2007 12:48 pm

I meant Lucas Leiva who is coming to Liverpool this season. Sorry about the mixup.
Soul

Postby jedwards » Sat May 26, 2007 1:30 pm

:D :D
Mascherano  is a top class player, and I hope LFC could have another two or three more players like him, who is totally committed to the team, and has the fighting spirit for the team, he does honour the LFC's shirt he wears, and winner, he is in the same mould of Liverpool's great midfield players the likes of Souness, McMmanon, etc. he has been an excellent buy, and I hope R. Benitez can buy more players likes him, rather than bulk purchase of very average players for the past two previous season!
jedwards

Postby redtrader74 » Sat May 26, 2007 1:35 pm

Does anyone know what Joorabchian paid for Mascherano, Fucking hell sounds like the slave trade, this would indicate what, plus profit, we need to pay for him?
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby Javier Mascherano_20 » Sat May 26, 2007 2:23 pm

Was pleased with Mascherano on Wednesday night i thought he was the best player on our team but i thought he was very sloppy. Mascherano was winning balls all over the field but it was the pass after that, that let him down.

A man for the future, i don't see how he could ever leave us now we rescued him for the Hammer's horror when no one else would and now he has been rescued he will again be one of the most wanted midfielders in the world.
Javier Mascherano_20

Postby LFC2007 » Sat May 26, 2007 2:40 pm

redtrader74 wrote:Does anyone know what Joorabchian paid for Mascherano, Fucking hell sounds like the slave trade, this would indicate what, plus profit, we need to pay for him?

I'm not sure about Mascherano but Tevez cost Joorabchian £14m. Joorabchian only owns half of Mascherano though with Brazilian TV company globo owning the other 50%
LFC2007

Postby Soul » Sat May 26, 2007 2:49 pm

It's true Mazza needs to improve his passing though. I thought his passes in the final was better though than usual.

Hopefully an improvement we will see more of starting next August.
Soul

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion