On mascherano

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:04 pm

We're already in December and no tribute threads not nor Mascherano talk praising his game?

It's unbelievable I say this but too much praises for Alonso these days, it's time to have a bit of Mascherano talk. He deserves a lot of praise.

It's difficult to be focused in games like yesterday. You're top of the table, you're qualified, you don't play your strongest eleven, you play the second keeper. But it makes no difference for Mascherano, his attitude in his game was superb.

He's an expensive player, but he's worth the last penny Liverpool paid for him.

He's that good at what he does, that some even thought Alonso is a poor holding midfielder in comparison, and Alonso is not a poor holding midfielder he sat down Hamman and he has played the position for Spain (which is not Chile or Norway, with all due respect).

His dirty (aka unseen) work has made possible that Alonso this year goes upper, and while the basque gets the credit, Mascherano hasn't seen that much praise. That's unfair.

So as a conclussion, I don't think Mascherano is doing an average season but a good one, and his work is very sacrificed and ungrateful.

What do you think about his season? Opinions about him?

P.S. Mods, as soon as I posted, I realised the Mascherano is out thread has been recovered, please do the merging if you wish. Do it without fear, if it hapens an accident with my thread nobody dies!
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:10 pm

Has some bad and good games this season, for example, the good games would be Manchester United and Chelsea. Though he is a really excellent player, who can do a job when asked.

Oh, I still can't believe Sabre started this thread :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Koptite » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:13 pm

i think he is the best by far in his position and i agree with you sabre he dose'nt get half the credit he should get at times.
Koptite

Postby Petar » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:15 pm

metalhead wrote:Has some bad and good games this season, for example, the good games would be Manchester United and Chelsea. Though he is a really excellent player, who can do a job when asked.

I don`t rate him only because of running,tackling. He is good attacking player for me,not the best,though. He has big heart and every team in the world would use him
Petar

Postby Sabre » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:18 pm

Petar wrote:
metalhead wrote:Has some bad and good games this season, for example, the good games would be Manchester United and Chelsea. Though he is a really excellent player, who can do a job when asked.

I don`t rate him only because of running,tackling. He is good attacking player for me,not the best,though. He has big heart and every team in the world would use him

See?

This is the kind of post that triggers the typical Sabre over-defence post.

But my intention with the thread was reading others' opinions, so I won't comment much in this thread.

I'll leave it at saying I disagree  :)

P.S. See? I read I don't rate him instead of I rate him  :laugh: (I missed the only) sorry Petar. Thank you for your opinion . Now I'll Image and read.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:19 pm

Hes a :censored: soldier . Hed be the first one i picked to go into battle. Love him.

Hes our Tommy Masherano
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:19 pm

He isn't an attacking player, he never is and he never will be.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Petar » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:23 pm

metalhead wrote:He isn't an attacking player, he never is and he never will be.

he is not Riquelme obviously... But he is quick with the ball in feet... he knows football at the end.
Petar

Postby metalhead » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:25 pm

He knows football, but Alonso and Gerrard are better footballers than him.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Koptite » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:30 pm

i dont see him as a attacking player at all. He has a good burst of speed but i think he is at his best when other teams have got the ball, when he can break down play and he shields the back four so well.

I knw he would be one of the first players to go on my team sheet
Koptite

Postby Petar » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:32 pm

metalhead wrote:He knows football, but Alonso and Gerrard are better footballers than him.

yes they are. Though I don`t think that Xabi is Kaka for Masch
Petar

Postby Sabre » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:33 pm

metalhead wrote:He knows football, but Alonso and Gerrard are better footballers than him.

???

Ok, sorry, I can't help commenting :D

Petar has a point. Sure, Mascherano is a world class holding midfielder. But when Liverpool has the ball, he has his role, so he takes part in our attacking game, so he's an attacking player in a way aswell.

What does he do well when we have the ball? Maybe we don't appreciate enough because we have ALonso in the side, but he's pretty good sending 30 m ball and making orientation changes eh?

And he gives oxygen to Alonso, sometimes you don't need a long pass or even a pass in some situations, sometimes you have to run with the ball, and Mascherano does this better than Alonso, I think that ALonso always needs a player that knows running with the ball. Both Mascherano and Gerrard, who's very good at that, have that feature.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:48 pm

:D

Sabre, I don't think he is a better footballer than Alonso and Gerrard, I really don't. He usually lose a bit more possession than Alonso and Gerrard does, his passing isn't the same or better than both of them.

Sure, sometimes Mascherano runs with the ball, but he ends up losing it, like against Inter last season, there is a point he just took the ball and ran all the way, but lost it!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:54 pm

My  ??? was because I didn't want to turn this in a "is better than" thread.

Comparing Gerrard and Mascherano's roles is like comparing tomatoes and potatoes. Different attributes, so no worthy discussions about comparing. If you press me, I'll say again that both Mascherano and ALonso are in the same league as players, each of which with his attributes (often mentioned when the players were compared)

I preffer to talk about Mascherano's game only, not comparisons

Sure, sometimes Mascherano runs with the ball, but he ends up losing it, like against Inter last season, there is a point he just took the ball and ran all the way, but lost it!

He sure did!, and others have been caught in posession and lost balls too! But do you think he loses balls often really? I don't think he makes much mistakes that creates counter attacks or real danger at all.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:57 pm

My, my :D

Sabre, Im not comparing their roles, Im just saying that Gerrard is a better footballer! not in other terms. :D

Yeh, I do think he loses the ball too much sometimes when he runs with the ball alot, happened against Chelsea at stamford bridge too.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion