Mascherano - Class

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby shades » Thu May 24, 2007 5:31 am

He was great!
shades

Postby mascherano20 » Thu May 24, 2007 5:44 am

Nuff said.... Rafa has to make this deal permanent.  Since we signed him you can see just how much Rafa rates him by the amount of important games he's been involved in.  Credit to Rafa for giving him a chance, and its nice to see that masch also thanks his boss.  He is fast becoming one of my favourites at our club.
mascherano20

Postby egyptian liverpoolian » Thu May 24, 2007 6:20 am

good player for future
my real name is mostafa
i am muslim, arab , egyptian
and i adore liverpool
egyptian liverpoolian

Postby Sabre » Thu May 24, 2007 6:22 am

I agree many of the points here. To be honest I was far too nervous to make a decent analysis of the game, but I could see his quality in the previous matches. Rafa now will have that strong midfield he had in Valencia, with Mascherano, Alonso and Gerrard. If the 4-4-2 is used, then he'll have quality rotations.

As much as I hate it to say it, Mascherano is a couple of steps beyond sissoko in quality.

I won't say Mascherano is world class as in the best of the best, because he has to learn many things, as others. But I'll say he's very good and good enough for LFC, which is saying a lot.

Great to have him.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mungi » Thu May 24, 2007 6:24 am

as the guy said above, rafa has to make this signing permanent
mungi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MASTER » Thu May 24, 2007 10:27 am

Sabre, who do you think now should be LFC midfielders still here for next season, because you may disagree, but since Juventus in 2004/2005 season in Turin without Gerrard when Alonso was the best player on the pitch (and why he gets this hype) he has not turned a game with his skills, there were many times last season when I thought if Didi was 3 years younger that alonso would not have played because he was not that good in 05/06 or this season.

Anyway I think Rafa's decision has been made by Masherano's contributon since his protracted arrival and that Liverpool could sell both him AND Sissoko as Juventus, Real, Valencia and Barcelona are alll interested in them.(Sissoko has been linked with Juventus in the English Press)
MASTER

Postby puroresu » Thu May 24, 2007 10:37 am

I dont think Alonso and Sissoko will both go unless both ask to leave. Juve seem real keen on Momo and if they can agree a fee I thinkhe would go.  I dont think Rafa would want to sell Alonso as well but if Alonso feels he needs to move then it could happen. I like Alonso, when on form his passing is amazing.  Remember in Turin he didnt play one misplaced pass.  His form has dipped slightly but his still very young and has so much to offer.
puroresu

Postby Sabre » Thu May 24, 2007 10:48 am

MASTER wrote:Sabre, who do you think now should be LFC midfielders still here for next season, because you may disagree, but since Juventus in 2004/2005 season in Turin without Gerrard when Alonso was the best player on the pitch (and why he gets this hype) he has not turned a game with his skills, there were many times last season when I thought if Didi was 3 years younger that alonso would not have played because he was not that good in 05/06 or this season.

Anyway I think Rafa's decision has been made by Masherano's contributon since his protracted arrival and that Liverpool could sell both him AND Sissoko as Juventus, Real, Valencia and Barcelona are alll interested in them.(Sissoko has been linked with Juventus in the English Press)

The Alonso you all praised was a weaker player. Young and naive.  A worse player in many aspects. Less experience. Back then I shut up and read. The mistakes were overlooked.

The Alonso many people and the press criticises is a stronger player, he makes mistakes, as he always did, and others do. I guess it's normal the criticism, because when you're 3 years in a team you have more responsabilities.

Mascherano is receiving a lot of praises now. I too will shut up now and won't say he's world class. But next year when he's criticised I'll defend him.

Why? Because his coming to LFC has been a bless, improves the squad with quality, and will make possible ROTATIONS without LOSING quality.

Pako Aiestaran in another thread that everybody should read defends rotation. It's a bless than when you sit Mascherano, you'll have Alonso and viceversa.

It's a bless that when you have to rest the main midfielders, you don't have to play an away game with Sissoko and Zenden.

So I reckon that's what we needed. Both Gerrard, Mascherano and Alonso will be here, for the good of LFC. Alonso? as long as he stays in the club contributing (and I think he will) I don't care he's a squad player, or a key player. But we NEEDED this kind of depth in this club. It gives you a lot of options.

In a nutshell, Mascherano is a player of the same league of Alonso, lots of quality, and I'm very happy he's here. Reina himself has said 3 days ago that Mascherano's incoming has been good for Alonso. I think he's right. I don't see this as a Mascherano vs Alonso battle, but as a great improving of the squad...

P.S. And about Sissoko, I'd keep him. Depth means having players like him. But I reckon his weight in this team will be smaller than this two years. Same for Alonso, he was the only holding mid (according to Rafa) we had until Mascherano arrived, and now we can rest assured we have a proper answer if he gets injured.
Last edited by Sabre on Thu May 24, 2007 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Vartol » Thu May 24, 2007 10:52 am

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:after all the pre match talk about the best player in the world i think its fitting to mention our man of the match.
mascherano had kaka in his pocket all night.
rafa was faced with hobsons choice when 1 down with 20 minutes to go and probably took javier off because xavi was more likely to unlock their defence but i think we should salute a masterclass in midfield play.
it made scholes and carrick look like knobheads.
javier mascherano - stay forever at anfield and we will build a team around you.

Javier is a very good midfielder...

and yesterday they did a very good match!

He's 22, very young! I hope that in 2 or 3 years he'll can be similiar to Cambiasso.

RIISEEEEEEEE

PS. I'm not Englis, so I don't speak very well your language... sorry :(
Vartol

Postby MASTER » Thu May 24, 2007 11:59 am

Okay Sabre, I think you have a point however I feel that the harmony within LFC will be affected as we have just signed a Brazil under 20 captain for £8m this tells me Rafa thinks a lot of him and  I personally can't see Xabi or Sissoko geting in the team at the start of the season and that it is better to allow at least one of the established order to leave the club and if Juventus or Real Madrid came in for these 2 (Momo or Xabi).

I feel it may be an intelligent thing to sell as I feel already Xabi's transfer value is reducing plus it is not fair on any of the central players or even the wingers that we have so many in this position.

Leiva, Mascherano and Stevie G could be a fearsome combination by themselves next season and netting between £20m and £30m for 2 fringe midfielders could vastly improve our chances of getting Eto'o or David Villa, also I think Liverpool need a more creative player to get the best out Crouch and any new strikers brought, in as Stevie's creative influence is diluted when Alonso and Pennant play because he is cut out of a lot of the attacking play.

Anyway only Rafa knows but he must get it right this year whatever he does and if he brings in more dodgy players it is on HIS head, because he has made it so easy to slag Liverpool this season with odd decisions like Zenden even last night.
MASTER

Postby tubby » Thu May 24, 2007 12:01 pm

Hopefully we will get him signed up on a proper contract not a loan.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu May 24, 2007 12:21 pm

Master, I understand your point about being inteligent to sell. I have a different opinion, but can't say you're wrong.

Okay Sabre, I think you have a point however I feel that the harmony within LFC will be affected as we have just signed a Brazil under 20 captain for £8m this tells me Rafa thinks a lot of him and  I personally can't see Xabi or Sissoko geting in the team at the start of the season and that it is better to allow at least one of the established order to leave the club and if Juventus or Real Madrid came in for these 2 (Momo or Xabi).

However, this reminds me other seasons. Last summer, we were saying that Luis Garcia wouldn't have a place in this team with the new signings. Because Pennant was coming, he was not going to play on the right any more, Fabio Aurelio was coming, Gonzalez was coming... and the season came and Luis Garcia was still playing.

I think that ALonso, in rotations, have a place in this team as much as the next man. About Leiva, I know fúck all about him, but what the people who knows him say (in Spanish forums) is that he's not a holding midfielder but an attacking one, so I don't see direct competition with Mascherano and Xabi.

The more quality players we have the better. Selling shoudn't be a must, when we have new fresh investing money in the pocket.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whylongball? » Thu May 24, 2007 2:29 pm

Yup i agree...why should we sell any of our quality CMs. All are excellent except SG (world class). I would however say we should get another one, a flamboyant attacking midfielder, if Benitez insists on playing 4-5-1 cos SG cant play Aimar's role
whylongball?

Postby Naomi » Thu May 24, 2007 4:52 pm

IMO Mascherano was our player of the night, he was immense and i truly believe that he will go on to become one of Liverpools greatest ever players :buttrock
You can buy all the quality you like, but without desire, passion and the insatiable will to win, it’s nothing.
Naomi

Postby Chrissy » Thu May 24, 2007 5:20 pm

I thought Javier was on a permanent deal?
Chrissy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion