Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Mascherano or lucas...

Mascherano
77%
Lucas
23%

Total votes : 43

Postby Sabre » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Fo Dne wrote:You're drawing at home to an average side. You've got these two in midfield. Mascherano playing at 80% of what he's capable of and looking like he could step it up, Lucas playing at 100% of what he's capable of.

You need a winner and you have to take one of them off, who do you change? And why? (Which player do you bring off?)

I'd bring off Lucas, because even if theoretically Mascherano won't give me an edge to score a goal from range shot or appearance in the box, he'll give the freedom and confidence the likes of Gerrard and ALonso need to go upper.

That said, I think our two midfielders seemed a bit anxious when choosing the options in the last third of the pitch.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lewerty » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:38 pm

why would u play lucas from the start anyway ??
lewerty

Postby Emerald Red » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:17 pm

Sabre wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:You're drawing at home to an average side. You've got these two in midfield. Mascherano playing at 80% of what he's capable of and looking like he could step it up, Lucas playing at 100% of what he's capable of.

You need a winner and you have to take one of them off, who do you change? And why? (Which player do you bring off?)

I'd bring off Lucas, because even if theoretically Mascherano won't give me an edge to score a goal from range shot or appearance in the box, he'll give the freedom and confidence the likes of Gerrard and ALonso need to go upper.

That said, I think our two midfielders seemed a bit anxious when choosing the options in the last third of the pitch.

I understand your thinking, Sabre, but i the context of his game, their midfield was virtually non existent anyway. They really carried  no real threat to us on the break for us to worry. It's just a completely stupid and moot point that this poll as been made up for just so some insecure people can feel better about their so called "opinion" over the manager's decision making.
Last edited by Emerald Red on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:26 pm

I just don't rate Lucas at all and don't see him ever being 100% of the player he was in the Brazilian league for Liverpool.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:37 pm

JBG wrote:I just don't rate Lucas at all and don't see him ever being 100% of the player he was in the Brazilian league for Liverpool.

Is there a Liverpool in the Brazilian LEague ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:50 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
JBG wrote:I just don't rate Lucas at all and don't see him ever being 100% of the player he was in the Brazilian league for Liverpool.

did you fail your english or did i miss the sarcasm?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:01 pm

account deleted by request

Postby Emerald Red » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:26 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:

Ironic that the post is basically neither bad English or sarcastic. It's more of a direct question if you look at it again.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:28 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:

Ironic that the post is basically neither bad English or sarcastic. It's more of a direct question if you look at it again.

what JBG meant was that he doesnt see Lucas playing for Liverpool the way he played in Brazil when he won the awards.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Zidane » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:52 pm

I didn't even read the actual poll I just hit Masch hahaha
Zidane

Postby bigmick » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:11 pm

Not on my screen he doesn't. The mini telly thing just goes black with the circle thing going round and round and then nothing happens. Shame really as I was about to claim that it was skill such as that which initially led me to rate him.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:26 pm

bigmick wrote:

Not on my screen he doesn't. The mini telly thing just goes black with the circle thing going round and round and then nothing happens. Shame really as I was about to claim that it was skill such as that which initially led me to rate him.

Sorry Mick it works fine for me mate. Shows Lucas ACTUALLY running with the ball, making good passes and cracking in a few goals. It did surprise me when I thought of how he plays for us. He never runs with the ball for us, but you can see why there were comparisons to Gerrard from those clips.
account deleted by request

Postby Owzat » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:56 am

I can't surely be the only one who thinks its complete stupidity to take of Mascherano ahead of Lucas. I'd be interested to here what everyone thinks and why.

What does Mascherano offer from an attacking point of view? The only stupid thing about Rafa taking Mascherano off a few games ago was bringing Lucas on for him - and to wait so long to do it! I would take off Mascherano as in that situation you want as many attacking options as possible and Lucas may be an inferior player, but I'd fancy his chances of scoring or setting up a goal over Mascherano's - especially if Mascherano isn't even on top of his game. You'd look a right plank if there was no attacking threat and said average side were just soaking up pressure to see out the last 20-30 mins, we've so little creativity in midfield it is embarrassing and to keep a DM on because Lucas is not a great player simply makes a draw more likely. There was little danger of Mascherano coming on against West Ham.

Any hints as to who is available to come on in this scenario?

And of course it could/would depend on who else is playing and how well or badly they're playing. Subbing a midfielder if the striker(s) or winger(s) or Gerrard (if playing) are also having a stinker would be as pointless as taking off the keeper.

I know it probably wasn't your intention, but I suspect a lot of people would never pick Lucas over Mascherano so what you are trying to prove/demonstrate/establish is doomed to fail. Lucas is the new Voronin, never likely to get a vote in any poll regardless of scenarios.

lewerty - that is an excellent question, if you're playing an average side at home and have to play that pairing and are drawing then maybe you're screwed any which way! Whether those two are playing well or badly, if you're drawing at home against an average side then the rest can't be doing much either.

I wouldn't start with Mascherano against an average side unless Gerrard and/or Alonso weren't available, why the theory needs to include a holding midfielder against a side that we shouldn't need one against I don't know. I think we've proved last two games that the best players available are fully capable of looking average themselves
Last edited by Owzat on Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:10 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:

what JBG meant was that he doesnt see Lucas playing for Liverpool the way he played in Brazil when he won the awards.

No your all wrong. What I imagine Leon meant was a reference to the club - Liverpool FC based in Montevideo, Uruguay.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby we all dream... » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:08 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:

No your all wrong. What I imagine Leon meant was a reference to the club - Liverpool FC based in Montevideo, Uruguay.

I just don't rate Lucas at all and don't see him ever being 100% of the player he was in the Brazilian league, for Liverpool.

All this needed was a comma... I think:lookaround great debate tho lads haha  :D
we all dream...
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion