MARTIN KELLY - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby OneHotRed » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:17 pm

Remids me of Carra earlier on in his career when he played down the right, in fact he is VERY similar, fully expect him to play a RB for a while then ge moved inside.
OneHotRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:20 pm

aCe' wrote:Defensively, he's proven to be a very solid player indeed... He's got pace and knows when to put a tackle in ..
Going forward however, he's simply not good enough yet...

He's young and improving and all that, but i think if we had a better left wingback then Johnson would have kept him out of the side and rightly so..

If we are to keep playing this formation then im sure Kenny would be expecting much from Kelly offensively especially against the smaller sides. His touch has let him down quite a few times and his final ball is still lacking.. Hopefully all the match experience and confidence that comes with improve him as a player ...

doesnt matter dude. you're a defender, you defend. let the other players do the attacking. thats his topmost priority.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Scottbot » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:23 pm

OneHotRed wrote:Remids me of Carra earlier on in his career when he played down the right, in fact he is VERY similar, fully expect him to play a RB for a while then ge moved inside.

That is pretty much on the money although i'd see a little more natural going forward than the young Carra. Deffo got that old head on young shoulders that you want from your young defenders. It looks like we've got a player for several years  and it's great to see a local lad coming through with Stevie and Carra getting a bit long in the tooth.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:17 am

Octsky wrote:if only Rafa saw what KD saw in Kelly, we would have saved 18m and Kelly wouldnt had wasted 2 yrs playing in the reserve....

On the contrary I think Johnson is a great player. I think on the left wing cutting in could prove to be his best position.

No denying Kelly's rise though. Taking it 1 game at a time but impressing every time. Won't be long before he gets that call from capello.  :glare:
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:28 am

bavlondon wrote:
Octsky wrote:if only Rafa saw what KD saw in Kelly, we would have saved 18m and Kelly wouldnt had wasted 2 yrs playing in the reserve....

On the contrary I think Johnson is a great player. I think on the left wing cutting in could prove to be his best position.

No denying Kelly's rise though. Taking it 1 game at a time but impressing every time. Won't be long before he gets that call from capello.  :glare:

I was reading the other day about Capellos squad for wednesday and how he was struggling for a right back. Nothing at all was mentioned about Kelly. Johnson playing at left back was mentioned but nothing about Kelly. Once he gets in his first game I just cannot see him being moved from there.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby pokster » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:16 am

Gary Neville would never get into the England team until Rob Jones got injured.. Hope Martin Kelly can be as good, if not better than Rob Jones..
pokster

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:42 am

pokster wrote:Gary Neville would never get into the England team until Rob Jones got injured.. Hope Martin Kelly can be as good, if not better than Rob Jones..

Rob Jones was awesome. I remember seeing him that day when my step dad took me to see his debut. Of course, we didnt pay much attention to who was playing at the time, it was a chance ticket as he was working in manchester. At the time all anyone spoke about was Ryan Gigg's pace. We sat there watching Ryan Gigg's pace being outran by a kid called Rob Jones. And everyone from very early on in that match said "christ, he is in his pocket", and of course we were talking about Rob Jones.

Ryan Giggs also commentated on the Rob Jones debut and acknowledged him as a great defender. One of my fondest memories.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:48 am

It's only a matter of time before Kelly gets called to England and even starts in my opinion.  Johnson starts at RB now, but if he keeps playing on the left, why would England continue to play him on the right?  Kelly may nick the job from Johnson within the next couple years.  Johnson may even steal cole's job as cole gets older, tho he tends to be a solid England player.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Octsky » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:35 am

once we got a proper left back, i will like to see Kelly move into CB, in place of Skertel, Johnson as RB. once we got a better CB, Kelly should replace Johnson as RB.
finally we can see a homegrowth player emerging, all due credit to Kenny.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:14 pm

Been out of sorts since he came back from injury
I think hes been rope in the last couple of games and the potential he showed has slowly faded
:(
Thommo's perm

Postby jimmy brighton » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:13 am

He will get it back though. Look at the management he's now under. No brainer for me
joey ate the frogs legs
made the swiss roll
now he's munching gladback
jimmy brighton
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:30 pm

Poor against wolves
Come on Kelly lad, pull your socks up!
Thommo's perm

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:50 am

I think it's time we started moving Kelly into the middle of defense. Skertel has long been a liability & Carra needs to be eased out. I'd ease Carra out with Kelly alongside him to learn from before it's too late for Kelly to learn from and thus miss an influential learning experience from Carra. Pair them up for the majority of games then phase Carra out when Kelly is confident and competent enough to show leadership qualities, then finally plug Carra's gap with Coates and leave Agger as the sub - he's not reliable enough with his injuries.

The center of defense needs to start a serious and consistent transformation IMO and the above process is a way I reckon (my humble opinion) would be better suited for the team.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby MelindamelisaInenda » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:06 pm

edited post
Last edited by supersub on Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MelindamelisaInenda

Postby metalhead » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:07 pm

MelindamelisaInenda wrote:Simon .

SPAM ALERT!
Last edited by supersub on Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion