MARTIN KELLY - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:03 pm

stmichael » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:33 pm wrote:be interesting to see if we shift johnson back to right back again as he's been excellent at left back.

Problem with Johnson at LB is that he's always going to check and cut back onto his right foot.

He's played well at LB but is at least 25% better on the right. My preference at LB would be Enrique (when in form) failing that give I wouldn't object to Downing being given few more run outs in that position.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:12 pm

enrique's demise is really puzzling. he was excellent in his first six months but hasn't been the same at all in 2012. i used to always trust him in a one on one situation but now he gets beat too easily and his decision making is shocking at times. it'll be interesting to see if he starts against west brom because if he does that suggests that he won't start against norwich.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Boxscarf » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:38 pm

Are we ever going to get a complete season out of Martin Kelly? Talk about being made of bone china.
Boxscarf

Postby the return of HAS » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:58 pm

It’s very disappointing that he’ll miss most of the season as he is a really useful player.

Saying that I don’t agree with many fans who think he will end up as one of our first team centre backs. He doesn’t have the awareness or concentration to play there for a good side. I think he will have a long career here as excellent utility player who can play all across the back four, much like John O'Shea did at Man Utd. He won’t be considered as part of the best 11 but he’ll still end starting 25 – 35 games a season.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:05 pm

Rumour is he's rejecting a new contract deal.....with him ling term injured, i hardly think he has a lot of bargaining power....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:18 pm

Very surprising that he's rejected what sounds to be a very generous contract if reports are to be believed £35k a week plus performance incentives.

Considering he seems to be injury prone (may just be growing pains like SG had) but it seems crazy for him to turn it down. Obviously we don't know the whole situation but like bungle mark says he hasn't much bargaining power and with the emergence of Wisdom, the form of Johnson and Flannagan (if he finds his way out of the Bermuda triangle) he could easily find himself jibbed off when he returns.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1990 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:58 pm

Just signed a new contract. Congratulations Martin now get yourself fit

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:18 am

Yep, good to lock in these young lads.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:06 pm

He is off lads....

Liverpool defender Martin Kelly will complete a surprise £1.5m switch to Crystal Palace on Tuesday.

The 24-year-old and his representatives held talks with Palace officials on Monday and wrapped up the deal Tuesday morning.

The Whiston-born full-back has made more than 30 senior appearances for the Reds since breaking into the first-team squad in 2007.

But he has struggled with injury and spent a year on the sidelines after damaging his knee in a Premier League clash against Manchester United at the start of the 2012 season.

Kelly did not start a single game as Brendan Rodgers’ side fought for the title last season.

But he recently spoke of his desire to prove his long-term fitness this season and said: 'I think in terms of confidence and feeling strong I’m definitely 100 per cent, but in longer terms that takes games.

'I've been fit for a season now but I haven't had the games, so the run of games is vital for me this season.'
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:02 pm

Can't say I'm surprised. He's never looked the same since his injury and isn't good enough to warrant a regular spot in the first 11.

Pity, but best for all if he goes.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:41 pm

James Pearce (Liverpool Echo)

Martin Kelly heading for Crystal Palace for initial fee of £1.5m rising to £2m if he passes medical and agrees terms.
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:00 pm

Before the injury against United he had the world at his feet. Despite coming through the ranks as a CB he was athletic enough to reinvent himself as a hard running, marauding full back who's dynamic displays saw him promoted into the England squad. With his height, pace and versatility he looked destined to be a fixture in our back 4 for the next decade but one tackle changed all that.
I wish him all the best at Palace.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:04 pm

its a good move for him and he will do well under pulis at palace. they got him for a snip as well so hopefully there is add ons to come.
looking forward to see how he settles in to being a regular.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby shanks » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:12 pm

did'nt see that coming shame really since the injury he never really played first team football good look Martin hope every thing turns out good for you  :;):
shanks
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:14 pm

All the best to him. Been hampered by injuries.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion