MANCHESTER UNITED VS LIVERPOOL - Sun 23rd march  ko 13:30

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:29 pm

s@int wrote:I would like to see Rafa stick to mainly the same side AND formation against the mancs.

Reina

Arbeloa   Carra      Skrtel      Riise

Masch    Xabi

Kuyt              Gerrard              Babel

Torres

I doubt we'll see a 4-4-2 at all again from now until the end of the season. The stats speak for themselves.

Man City A
Wigan H
Boro A
Villa H
West Ham A

We didn't win any of these five games and you could argue that's where it was lost. We played 4-4-2 in four of the five games off the top of my head, Torres started them all and scored once.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Yari7 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:34 pm

stmichael wrote:
s@int wrote:I doubt we'll see a 4-4-2 at all again from now until the end of the season. The stats speak for themselves.

Man City A
Wigan H
Boro A
Villa H
West Ham A

We didn't win any of these five games and you could argue that's where it was lost. We played 4-4-2 in four of the five games off the top of my head, Torres started them all and scored once.

It was this spell that lost us the title.

The Man City draw was a fair result as Man City pretty much contained us in what was a very tough game.

However, the next 3 should have been victories  especially the Reading and Villa games in which we took the lead and thre wit away. Those 3 matches would have gained us an extra 6 points. Had we not conceded in the last minute vs West Ham, that would have been an extra point, so we would ahev been 7 points better off in total.

That would put us on 66 points. Ahead of Chelsea and 1 behind United and Arsenal.
Last edited by Yari7 on Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yari7

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:36 pm

maguskwt wrote:
s@int wrote:I think we can win this one, but I would take a point now.

if you think we can win this one, why take a point now?  :no

Because we can also lose it, and maybe a loss would be more damaging to our confidence, than a win would boost it. A point away at the mancs would be satisfactory in my opinion, especially as we have yet to gain any points there since Rafa came.

So rather than gamble with our confidence before vital games against Arsenal and Everton I would happily settle for a point if offered.
account deleted by request

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:51 pm

stmichael wrote:
s@int wrote:I would like to see Rafa stick to mainly the same side AND formation against the mancs.

Reina

Arbeloa   Carra      Skrtel      Riise

Masch    Xabi

Kuyt              Gerrard              Babel

Torres

I doubt we'll see a 4-4-2 at all again from now until the end of the season. The stats speak for themselves.

Man City A
Wigan H
Boro A
Villa H
West Ham A

I could argue that we have rarely played 4-4-2 this season with Kuyt playing so deep that he has been playing in the new Gerrard role rather than as a second striker in a 4-4-1-1  formation at best and a 4-5-1 at worst. 

So I am quite happy if Rafa continues with the present formation and lets see how it fares against the better sides over the next few weeks.

Postby redsince2001 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:19 pm

win and within five points of them rite .... think positive ! then who knows
:;):
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby redsince2001 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:22 pm

we need a monster performance from torres-carrager -gerrard . and u can count mascherano as well . reina is always solid (fingers crossed ) ....
those 5 are on a different level to the rest of our team . lets hope they turn up in their best avatar
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:26 pm

I think the win against Everton would be much more important to us than to beat the mancs only to lose to Everton. Everton have a slightly easier run in than we have, and if we lost to them I think they would probably be favourite to get 4th place as we also have the added distraction of the CL.

If we beat Everton it takes a lot of the pressure off us and we should have a comfortable run in to at least 4th place.

Postby Owzat » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:26 pm

s@int wrote:I could argue that we have rarely played 4-4-2 this season with Kuyt playing so deep that he has been playing in the new Gerrard role rather than as a second striker in a 4-4-1-1  formation at best and a 4-5-1 at worst. 

So I am quite happy if Rafa continues with the present formation and lets see how it fares against the better sides over the next few weeks.

We've hit on a winning run and I think it would be stupid to bring in changes now

redsince2001 - we can get within five points and them have a game in hand, however we have no control over the results of their other games

Manc run in

Bolton (h) - normally the mancs win this
Liverpool (h) - normally the mancs win this, deservedly or otherwise
Aston Villa (h) - villa have an appalling record against the mancs
Middlesboro (a) - possible upset
Arsenal (h) - didn't they lose home and away last season?
Blackburn (a) - maybe
Chelsea (a) - how many games have Chelski gone unbeaten at home?
West Ham (h) - bit much to hope their double can be repeated
Wigan (a) - I could check but I doubt Wigan have even a point from the mancs

A few loseable games for them, but no more loseable than our's.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:41 pm

imagine this thread a month ago, it would have been shot down in a hail of gloom and criticism of rafa, and anyone who thought we should stand by the manager
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Magz » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:34 pm

1-0 to us, Torres cementing his legendary status by dummying vaglips rio and scoring into the bottom left..
Magz

Postby kazza » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:58 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
kazza wrote:I never said my job is better than anybody's in fact no one here knows what I do for a living.

.                   Competitors in the King's Camel Race, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

To sum up, critisize all you want because it will change nothing except peoples moods.  :no

???

:D

Not quite but you are getting warmer.  :laugh:  I am the one exploiting them.

Hand on heart, that is funny I laughed my @ss off. Nice to know your mod powers show no limits.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:24 pm

kazza wrote:
bigmick wrote:As for Kazza's attack on anybody who has an opinion other than every player in the team is Pele, it seems to be par for the course art the moment which is a shame. Not content with "my job is better than your job" comments, we're now onto the internet gangster stuff. Ah well.

You are full of cr@p mick, my issue with you is this sitting on your high horse about how clever you are about rotation. Everytime we lost there was mick with the I told you so. I was annoyed we lost but you are oversimplifying it when YOU DO NOT HAVE THE FULL FACTS showed your ignorance.

I know we have weak links in the team and I have a good idea who they are but I do not see the need to put them down in order to feel clever. I do not think we have a team of Pele's and critisism is fine as long as it is constructive and not self serving.

The thing about jobs is also inaccurate Mick, I brought that up to remind you that if your football knowledge as as great as you opinion of yourself, it may be what you would be doing for a living right now. If I needed to make a Singapore Sling, I'd ask you and not Raffa as that is NOT what he does for a living (he may know but I will not take his word for it). I never said my job is better than anybody's in fact no one here knows what I do for a living.

To sum up, critisize all you want because it will change nothing except peoples moods.  :no

Ah well, I guess we have to agree to differ which is fine. My opinion is that on an internet forum, set up to discuss Liverpool football club it's kind of the thing to do to voice an opinion. I think it's Ok to do that despite the fact that I haven't personally checked out the fitness of the players down at Melwood this morning. I also think it's Ok to do that despite the fact that I make Singapore Slings for a living (I don't BTW but it makes no odds, it wouldn't matter if I was a diver or a doctor, I'm entitled to an opinion in my view as is everyone else).

I don't do it though to make myself look clever. I equally don't do it (and I agree with you here for once) because I think somebody at the club is going to read my posts and think "feck me we'd better start picking a settled team from now on". I do it because I like talking about football. I'm arrogant enough to think I've got a bit of a clue, and I enjoy discussing football with other Liverpool fans. Doesn't mean we always agree, but I enjoy it anyway. Contrary to what you have posted a few times now, I don't enjoy it when we lose because it makes me "look clever". That's a ridiculous statement to be totally honest, if you knew me you'd know how far away from the truth that is but you don't so it'll have to all be good.

Nobody is right all the time about football, even our manager. I know the standard response is "well he wouldn't tell you how to do his plumbing so don't tell him how to run the club" but i don't say it for that reason, i simply point it out as there are many occasions when I have looked far from clever. I was wrong about Pelligrino, wrong about Robert Earnshaw, wrong about Masherano, wrong about the extent of Sissoko's talent, wrong when I thought Rafa would never see the error of mass rotation and so what? Does it make any difference, does it matter? Does it make me clever, an idiot or some bloke who voices an opinion on an internet site?

Maybe you were right all along, maybe it just makes me full of cr@p. Good one that.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chrisrafman » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:44 pm

We CAN beat them. No reason why not. WE are flying while they are scraping. Torres is on fire while Shrek is quiet. Gerrard is gonna drive us and we will come away from the hell hole with 3 points. I predicted 4-0 against West Ham and 1-0 against Inter. These things come in 3's im saying 2-0 us. Torres brace
The devil on the badge represents the equality of manchester united with satan and his many demoish minions downstairs. just like the many twisted devil worshipers accross the world it means you have to posess the same sick minded mentality to follow that pathetic excuse for a football team.
chrisrafman

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:49 pm

chrisrafman wrote:We CAN beat them. No reason why not. WE are flying while they are scraping. Torres is on fire while Shrek is quiet. Gerrard is gonna drive us and we will come away from the hell hole with 3 points. I predicted 4-0 against West Ham and 1-0 against Inter. These things come in 3's im saying 2-0 us. Torres brace

Hope your prediction is right!
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Torres 2007 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:55 pm

Can't see beyond a draw in this fixture. They are normally hard to break down. Although Ronaldo normally goes missing in such games.

The big problem Torres and the team had in this fixture at Anfield, was that they kept hoofing the ball up to Torres in the air. Ferdinand and co could easily head it clear. We just panicked a bit and kept hoofing it.
Torres needs it on the deck.

I dont expect Torres to be phased at old trafford, after a san siro visit.

We could sneak this game, possibly, but more likely...
prediction: 1-1.
Torres 2007

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion