LIVERPOOL VS WEST HAM UNITED - Wed 5th march 08. k/o 8pm

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:11 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:Now when I don't see Aurellio's name on the team sheet most weeks I'm happy, but after he's just scored, his confidence must be sky high so pick him. This is where Benitez falters IMO he drops/rests/rotates whatever you want to call it, players who are on form.

You've been saying how sh!t you think Aurelio is for a while now (waste of space etc., should never be in the team, one of the worst players ever to play for Liverpool etc.), Rafa doesn't pick him, then you criticise him?

Forgive me for thinking you're off your f.ucking rocker.
LFC2007

Postby Scottbot » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:17 am

peewee wrote:not wanting to sound like a sourpuss

But sounding like one anyway.....

You're not a politician mate. You can still give a bit of credit for an individual performance if it's merited and not have to worry about 'weakening your position' or losing face. It was a good performance and a 4th straight win. Nothing to get too excited about just yet and it won't make up for a very disappointing league BUT, we won the game and i'm a lot happier now than i was when i woke up this morning. You should try it sometime.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:18 am

LFC2007 wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:Now when I don't see Aurellio's name on the team sheet most weeks I'm happy, but after he's just scored, his confidence must be sky high so pick him. This is where Benitez falters IMO he drops/rests/rotates whatever you want to call it, players who are on form.

You've been saying how sh!t you think Aurelio is for a while now (waste of space etc., should never be in the team, one of the worst players ever to play for Liverpool etc.), Rafa doesn't pick him, then you criticise him?

I'm criticsing him for not being picked the game after he's just scored.

If Aurellio hadn't scored against Bolton and still wasn't picked today I'd of been made up. I still think he's useless and to be honest I am happy when he doesn't play. But you don't drop a player when they've just scored. That's everyone's gripe with Crouch, he was getting dropped when he scored to be replaced with Kuyt who wasn't scoring.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:23 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:

If Aurellio hadn't scored against Bolton and still wasn't picked today I'd of been made up. I still think he's useless and to be honest I am happy when he doesn't play. But you don't drop a player when they've just scored. That's everyone's gripe with Crouch, he was getting dropped when he scored to be replaced with Kuyt who wasn't scoring.

Scoring doesn't equate to a good performance. He was decent against Bolton fair enough, but you've been trumpeting the anti-Aurelio bandwagon for a while, so it seems strange to criticise Rafa for not picking him.

I take your point about Crouch, but he's a striker, they tend to thrive on confidence derived from scoring goals.
LFC2007

Postby Scottbot » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:26 am

Double Post
Last edited by Scottbot on Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:28 am

Scottbot wrote:
peewee wrote:i am not complaining about the victory mate, i am happy we won, but i just want to put some perspective on it, it doesn't really matter if we go unbeaten for the rest of the season in the league, we have already blown the league and next season our glorious leader will take us down exactly the same road as his previous four seasons

But that's just it mate, we don't need you put it in perspective. No-one's happy with how this season has gone, no-one. I don't know why you feel you have to keep reminding everyone, it's like you see a post in which the poster is chuffed about the win(s) and feel the need to bring them crashing back down to earth. If we do go onto to win every single game for the rest of the season (i know i'm being ridiculous) are you going to be in every match thread with your big needle bursting bubbles as you are in this one? It's bloody depressing. You're quickly turning into Alistair McGowan's impression of Mark Lawrensen.

LFC won tonight, i'm happy. I'll even go so far as to say Kuyt is playing really well and deserves his place in the side. But that doesn't mean i'm happy with the season and it deffo doesn't mean I want Deadly Dirk playing for the club next season.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:31 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:

Seriously GBJH, wheres your local?

Perfomance or goals? Aurelio should play because he scored a goal? How many games has Carragher played without scoring and yet if hes fit he simply must play ! The mind boggles....
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:15 am

Well, we can finally stop talking about this game in hand! :D

Not a great overall performance for 90 minutes but class showed and we won it comfortably in the end.  What a vital victory as well to get ahead of Everton and to keep the momentum going.

There were some quality performances out there tonight, with Torres' obviously the pick of the bunch.  What a fookin' phenomenon he's become.  It's hard to remember that there were real, honest-to-goodness, legitimate question marks about signing him for that transfer fee this summer, such was his up and down form at Atletico.  In our side he's simply effervescent and if that's what he's like on a stomach bug, I hope he has the wobbly tummy every week! :D

I was really impressed with Skrtel tonight as well.  Aggressive, strong in the tackle, pacey, solid in the air and what a run to get to the edge of the oppo box (too bad about the pass though :D ).  He looks like he'll be a fine addition.

I thought Alonso had another strong game in the middle and, indeed, that the Alonso, Mascherano, Gerrard triangle is really starting to find a groove.  Kuyt put in a good shift and Riise looked well up for it tonight too.

Like Nanny, I still have some questions about Babel--mostly to do with his bottle and his mentality.  He doesn't exactly love a tackle but perhaps he can be forgiven for not wanting to have his leg broken by Lucas Neill.  Mentally, though, he still seems to switch off too often for my tastes.  There were occasions were he was stood still while the move developed around him and there were other moments, when on the ball, where his decision making was erratic to say the least.  Hopefully, with enough game time, he'll get on the same wavelength as everyone else.

Finally, I love Reina but, FFS lad, tone down the kamikaze missions.  I'm not just talking about the strange decisions to charge off into no man's land on occasion (hope he buys Aberloa a drink for that crucial block) but also those moments when he thinks he'll go mountaineering on people to punch clear.  I thought he'd broken his feckin' neck tonight (or his arm, or his clavicle...) when he base jumped off Skrtel and where the fook would we be if he managed to go and get himself injured?  Reign it in Reina, FFS! :no
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby The_Rock » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:22 am

Man.....it looks like the wingless formation ie...  4-3-2-1 :p is the way to go....

We look pretty "stocked" when playing this way.

Anyway...i like what i see....but i still don't like kuyt on the right flank. Hope we get someone like ronaldo there. Other than that....i am ok with this.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:25 am

I don't see how it can be considered a wingless formation?

Four at the back, two deep lying midfielders, Gerrard in the centre at the top of the triangle, Babel on the left, Kuyt on the right and Torres up top.
LFC2007

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:28 am

LFC2007 wrote:I don't see how it can be considered a wingless formation?

Four at the back, two deep lying midfielders, Gerrard in the centre at the top of the triangle, Babel on the left, Kuyt on the right and Torres up top.

maybe the point is neither kuyt or babel are wingers
112-1077774096

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:29 am

peewee wrote:

They assume the role, even if they're not conventional wingers.
LFC2007

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:31 am

I think the fullbacks are meant to provide much of the width in this formation, with the two deep-lying midfielders covering for them in the case of the counter attack.  You could certainly see that Arbeloa and Riise were looking to get forward as much as possible tonight.  The formation suits the spine of our team very well but I think we'd need to upgrade at least one of the fullbacks and one of the inside right/inside left players (Kuyt and Babel) to really make it purr.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:33 am

LFC2007 wrote:
peewee wrote:

if i get in the ring with tyson i am assuming the role of a boxer but i am still going to get a spanking
112-1077774096

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:37 am

peewee wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:
peewee wrote:

if i get in the ring with tyson i am assuming the role of a boxer but i am still going to get a spanking

If I jump into bed with my missus i will get a spanking, I say spanking I mean beating, apparently im cold lately and disturbs her!

As for kuyt, does he know how to cross a ball or what? im liking him in the role he has recently played.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion