Fsg - Major announcement weekend 23rd march

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:33 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:hope it`s not a new stadium, no way i`d go to watch them at a new ground.
knocking down anfield would be cultural vandalism imo

We'd all love nothing better than to be able stay at Anfield but the reality is that old girl is coming to the end of her life span and we need some bigger diggs.
It would be great if FSG have found an economical way to rebuild and expand the ground, but we'll be facing 2-3 years of disruption at best and come the end of it we may only have 55k seats to show for it.

Cultural vandalism it may be but we have to move on.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:00 am

so here we are.... where is the major announcement?
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:16 am

Weekend = saturday and with the time difference its still very much friday morning in NYC and Mr Henry is still snuggled up with Mrs Henry in bed and I wouldn't rush to get out of that situation to make an announcement, would you mate? !
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:39 pm

RUSHIE#9 wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:hope it`s not a new stadium, no way i`d go to watch them at a new ground.
knocking down anfield would be cultural vandalism imo

We'd all love nothing better than to be able stay at Anfield but the reality is that old girl is coming to the end of her life span and we need some bigger diggs.
It would be great if FSG have found an economical way to rebuild and expand the ground, but we'll be facing 2-3 years of disruption at best and come the end of it we may only have 55k seats to show for it.

Cultural vandalism it may be but we have to move on.

what is 2 or 3 years of disruption in the grand scheme of things though mate? this club wouldnt even exist without anfield, it literally is this clubs raison d`etre, unlike in most scenario`s where the club is formed and they then go and aquire a ground john houlding had a ground but no team so he created one, if anfield didnt exist neither would LFC.
anfield is one of only 2 remaining grounds that hosted a game on the first ever saturday of league football (8th september 1888), the other one is preston`s deepdale, competative football had been played at anfield for nearly half a century before even the original wembley was built in 1923, none of the `cathedrals` of football like the maracana or the nou camp or where ever go back anywhere near as far as anfield.
speaking of cathedrals there`s another reason the ground should be preserved and that is because it is not just a mass of iron and concrete it is a working class church, people have been married there and people have chosen anfield as their final resting place, countless people have had their ashes spread onto the pitch because it meant that much to them, including bill shankly.
it`s like when they knocked the original cavern down, any other city in the world could only dream about landmarks like that within their city boundaries but our council just hasnt got a clue sometimes, look how important music and sport are culturally right across the world, what would most cities give to be the home of the beatles and the home of one of the most iconic stadiums in the world? people who live tens of thousands of miles away dream about visiting a unremarkable looking building situated in working class district of a gritty seaport on the irish sea, they get tears in their eyes when they think about it, when you have something as emotive and powerful as that you dont knock it down, you build on it.
you`d think they would have learned after the cavern debacle, they built a new one and dont advertise the fact that its not in the same place as the original but saying that a few years later they nearly knocked the albert dock down to make way for that blue water shopping arcade or whatever it was called, the biggest collection of grade I listed buildings anywhere in the country was nearly flattened, not even in the area around the houses of parliament in london is so many grade I listed buildings in one area, the UN declared it a world heratige site and yet our council nearly sent the bulldozers in.
thank god the city had people like quentin hughes fighting it`s corner back then.
as i said mate to knock something so historic down that has meant so much to so many people over so many years and replace it with a corporate whopperdome who`s raison d`etre will be to shift as many hot dogs, beers, t-shirts and betting slips onto day trippers as possible will be an act of cultural vandalism in my eyes.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:01 pm

I hear you ycaaskjdfiuafa;dif aldshf, but oneof the reasons we are falling behing Man Utd is the fact that they earn so much more moeny thanus on every single match day.

If we did develop Anfield, what is the biggest capacity we could get?  60k?  We need to be up in the 70's for us to be able to compete financially, especially when you consider how far behind them we are at the moment.

I too, hope we stay, but I cannot see how it would be possible.
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:48 pm

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:I hear you ycaaskjdfiuafa;dif aldshf, but oneof the reasons we are falling behing Man Utd is the fact that they earn so much more moeny thanus on every single match day.

If we did develop Anfield, what is the biggest capacity we could get?  60k?  We need to be up in the 70's for us to be able to compete financially, especially when you consider how far behind them we are at the moment.

I too, hope we stay, but I cannot see how it would be possible.

well putting the arguments about the capacity aside for a moment there`s a fine line here that the club has got to tread, the problem with making every decision a purely commercial and business one is that the fans might buy into that concept themselves, where is the value for money for fans in spending 50 quid every other week to watch 22 men kick a bag of wind around a pitch? half the time it`s not even entertainment it`s frustration, who`d actually pay money to be wound up? you`d have to be a mug but we do it.
and how many games a season are truly memorable? not many
£50 is a lot of money and if fans looked at it purely logically and comercially they`d ask themselves why should i spend a fair proportion of my weekly wage to make multi millionaires even richer, that money could be spent on my family. i`m saying £50 but a lot of people have to factor in travel costs, how much do lads from ireland spend to come and watch us and what about those lads that go home and away? did the lads who travelled down to london on wednesday get value for money?
the thing is fans dont see it in 100% business terms because if they did they wouldnt go the game, a famous northern writer wrote something like` if football is just 22 men kicking a bag of wind around a pitch then a van gogh is just a bit of paint and canvas and a stradavarius is just a bit of wood and catgut`
thats how fans see the game, there`s more to it than the sum of it`s parts, and thats how the fans see clubs too, it`s about belonging to something that you feel represents you.
i understand that we need to make money to compete at the top but if you rip out the soul of the club by knocking down anfield then what have you got left?
who or what does it represent? i cant speak for anyone else but i cant see myself supporting a corporate commercial entity that is prepared to trample over everything the club is in pursuit of money. look at that proposal for a 39th game, what a joke that is.
if the powers that be want the game to be all about finance and cold calculated business decisions then fine, the fans can play that game too, much better to put £50 a week into an ISA or something.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:57 pm

did I miss it?
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion