MANCHESTER UNITED VS LIVERPOOL - Sun 23rd march  ko 13:30

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:07 pm

Torres 2007 wrote:Can't see beyond a draw in this fixture. They are normally hard to break down. Although Ronaldo normally goes missing in such games.

The big problem Torres and the team had in this fixture at Anfield, was that they kept hoofing the ball up to Torres in the air. Ferdinand and co could easily head it clear. We just panicked a bit and kept hoofing it.
Torres needs it on the deck.

I dont expect Torres to be phased at old trafford, after a san siro visit.

We could sneak this game, possibly, but more likely...
prediction: 1-1.

The reason we were so poor last time was because we lost control of the midfield.  Our CB's were far too deep and Gerrard had to do too much work in the midfield.  Plus our wide players were pretty much useless that day.   I think this time it's going to be different, we can play higher up the pitch because of Skrtel and Alonso will give us more creativity, which we lacked in the first match.  I hope that Babel also plays because he can put pressure on their defense with his pace.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby holylamb2006 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:16 pm

CB's were far too deep and Gerrard had to do too much work in the midfield.  Plus our wide players were pretty much useless that day

And werent we using 4-4-2 then or was i dreaming :D
holylamb2006

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:31 pm

holylamb2006 wrote:
CB's were far too deep and Gerrard had to do too much work in the midfield.  Plus our wide players were pretty much useless that day

And werent we using 4-4-2 then or was i dreaming :D

I don't know what the hell we were using that day, but it wasn't 442.  If I remember correctly I think that Kuyt was all over the place running around like a headless chicken and so was half the team.  If we go with 442 then Crouch should definitely play up front with Torres, I think it would cause them too many problems.
ruskiy playmaker

Postby VamosRafa » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:17 am

I just don't know about this one. We'd come of the back of a great win against Marseille where we looked brilliant and then we lost in a very tame fashion when we played them earlier on in the season. Utd just seem to sit back against us, allow us to attack, and then pick us off. I feel like it's gonna take something special. Stevie hasn't pulled anything out the bag for us against the Mancs since that screamer in 01, and the Utd defence made Torres anonymous last time. I'm desperate for a win against these jammy :censored:, but i don't feel were there yet with only 2 matchwinners on the field.
VamosRafa

Postby LegBarnes » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:26 am

maguskwt wrote:
KennyisGod....still wrote:
maguskwt wrote:I am against playing Hyppia on this one because we're playing against fast players... Mash should mark out rooney... and riise should break ronaldo's legs... Skrtel to mark out tevez and we're more or less settled defensively...

I understand ur hatred, but hope that thats a tongue in cheek comment about Ronaldo. I dont like the guy, but to hope his legs get broke?? This is Liverpool, not some third rate sensation seekin bunch of half wit losers, we dont need that notoriety.

I watch football to be entertained and tho it pains to say it, if the Portugese diver stays on his feet he can entertain.

Just lately they seem to be relyin on him and Tevez as much as we've relied on Torres and Gerrard for goals, and if Derby can keep them quiet, why cant we? Without resortin to 'breakin his legs' .

The way things stand, this is maybe our best chance to do them at OT for years in the league, and  firmly believe it could well happen. Then Everton, then Arsenal. Then Arsenal...... Then Arsenal!!

of course it was tongue-in-cheek mate  :D ... and sensationalism...

I can never honestly wish for someone's leg to be broken... everytime I see accidents like eduardo's and cisse's they make me cringe...

what i really mean is dish out some hard and fair tackles but nothing malicious ones on ronaldo... he tends to get withdrawn from the game that way... sorry english is not really my mother tongue...  :D

yeah dont say break a leg you might give the little git more luck.

2-1 the pool "red tinted glasses"
0-0 "no glasses"
4-3 the pool "red telescope"

I want us to keep same shape but i dont see sami starting as he will be to slow and i dont think man u have much in attack with heading as long as we mark well and control space in front of defence i can see us getting a result.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:02 am

VamosRafa wrote:I just don't know about this one. We'd come of the back of a great win against Marseille where we looked brilliant and then we lost in a very tame fashion when we played them earlier on in the season. Utd just seem to sit back against us, allow us to attack, and then pick us off. I feel like it's gonna take something special. Stevie hasn't pulled anything out the bag for us against the Mancs since that screamer in 01, and the Utd defence made Torres anonymous last time. I'm desperate for a win against these jammy :censored:, but i don't feel were there yet with only 2 matchwinners on the field.

I'm also worried that they will shut everything down, maybe we should try to bombard them with some long range shots from early on, just to unsettle their defense.  We've got some good long range shooters and who knows maybe one will go in.
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Owzat » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:10 am

I think their full backs aren't the best, their CBs are prone to the odd error that too often goes unpunished and if we can negate Rooney and Ronaldo then we should have a good chance. What we don't need is silly errors that got them the three points at Anfield, not closing down the short corner and players stupidly staying on the line instead of pushing up and playing offside. Schoolboy errors both, in fact the Reading goal on Saturday should have been closed down. To allow a free-kick to travel the distance from the edge of the pitch to the 'D' without closing down the shooter is a shooting offence. I mean allowing free shots from the edge of the box is just stupid. You need someone there or thereabouts for any headers out for starters, if it drops at the edge of the box then the attacking side shouldn't be allowed the option of a shot - especially as shots from there into a crowded box can leave the keeper unsighted or take nasty deflections
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:10 am

Owzat wrote:in fact the Reading goal on Saturday should have been closed down. To allow a free-kick to travel the distance from the edge of the pitch to the 'D' without closing down the shooter is a shooting offence.

It certainly wasn't the most alert piece of defending, but there were a couple of mitigating circumstances I thought.

Firstly of course it was never a foul in the first place, Arbeloas tackle was an excellent one and the award of the free kick was a really poor decison by the referee.

Secondly it was a cleverly taken free-kick. they didn't wait till all was set, they took it while there was still a bit of jostling in the centre, and I haven't seen it clearly but there was probably a couple of their blokes screening defenders from getting a clean block on the shot.

Thirdly, although it's true to say it travelled accross the face of our area, it wasn't exactly rolled accross. It was positively skimmed over in the direction of the eventual ball striker, giving very little time to get to him.

Fourthly of course it was a fantastic strike of a football first time.

Sometimes a team does a number on you with a well worked free kick and although you can ask questions, you've just got to take your hat off to them. It was probably a perfect time to try such a routine, given we've been a bit wobbly with the zones over the last few games. Stir it up a bit in the centre, keep 'em guessing and then work the shooting chance for old hot-shot Hamish. It was clever and brilliantly executed.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:55 am

We have conceeded way too many set piece goals this season. Maybe its because we haven't had a set defence this season (although Zonal marking is supposedly ideal for that!) A lot of the goals have been because our defenders seem to have switched off for a few seconds rather than outright bad defending.

I still feel that we play into other teams hands by pulling everyone back to defend setpieces. Other sides know they can afford to flood our box because they no longer need worry about marking our forwards as they are all back defending. I also like to see one of our players taking up a position in and around the "d", as a clearing header can often be hit straight back by an on coming player if there is no one there to challenge.
account deleted by request

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:07 am

Talking of set plays imo i thought Torres goal from a set play was outstanding and clever, If you look at the goal you can see Xabi in an off side position when Gerrard is over the ball. Then Torres strolles back into the area giving Srevie a sneaky look to let him know where he was going.

While the Reading players where concentrating on Xabi , Torres sneaks in round the back and bang not one person picked him up, Brilliant work of a set play for me
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:11 am

NANNY RED wrote:Talking of set plays imo i thought Torres goal from a set play was outstanding and clever, If you look at the goal you can see Xabi in an off side position when Gerrard is over the ball. Then Torres strolles back into the area giving Srevie a sneaky look to let him know where he was going.

While the Reading players where concentrating on Xabi , Torres sneaks in round the back and bang not one person picked him up, Brilliant work of a set play for me

I don't know if you saw it on MOTD Nanny but they highlighted Torres movement for the freekick. He ran the defender marking him into a bunch of players then stole a couple of yards to make the header...... clever boy  :D
account deleted by request

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:17 am

It was genius Saint the way he went round the back brilliantly worked goal ,

Id put that down to Raffas training ground tactics so he needs some credit aswell :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:07 pm

bigmick wrote:Sometimes a team does a number on you with a well worked free kick and although you can ask questions, you've just got to take your hat off to them. It was probably a perfect time to try such a routine, given we've been a bit wobbly with the zones over the last few games. Stir it up a bit in the centre, keep 'em guessing and then work the shooting chance for old hot-shot Hamish. It was clever and brilliantly executed.

my old coach used to say, "you know, the other team practices too"

I think it really only looks bad in the context that it is yet another goal from set piece that we have given up, but they never would have been able to pass it like that from the corner angle, which is what it should have been. One of my main frustrastions with the other set piece goals allowed was the silly fouls that allowed them to be taken, but you can;t say that this time, this was a bad call.
JoeTerp

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:09 pm

s@int wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:Talking of set plays imo i thought Torres goal from a set play was outstanding and clever, If you look at the goal you can see Xabi in an off side position when Gerrard is over the ball. Then Torres strolles back into the area giving Srevie a sneaky look to let him know where he was going.

I don't know if you saw it on MOTD Nanny but they highlighted Torres movement for the freekick. He ran the defender marking him into a bunch of players then stole a couple of yards to make the header...... clever boy  :D

I don't know why more "Pick plays" aren't run on set pieces, I still want to know what Xabi ALonso was doing on the play, maybe he was just a dummy to throw Reading off
JoeTerp

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:35 pm

This is going to be very difficult.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion