Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby Reg » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:18 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:44 pm wrote:If I was FSG I'd give Brendan a Pardew style 10 year contract, I think he's the best young manager in the game and I'd be moving heaven and earth to make sure clubs like City or Chelsea don't turn his head.

BR's position is a conundrum. He's a Top 5 manager, he's the youngest of those 5 and he's the most successful young manager. Regardless of whether you like him, he's in a strong negotiating position.

If you google EPL top paid managers, you see BR is paid 3.5 million pound, Pellirini 3.5, Wenger 7, Van Gaal 7 and Maureen 8.7 million. Yes I was surprised by Pellegrini. The point is 3 of those clubs are in the market for a long term replacement: Arsenal, City and possibly Ure.

If one of those clubs offered Brendan a 2 million pay rise..... to what would still 'only' be 5.5 million a year, would he go? And if he went could you blame him?

The downside is if we lost him now, it would set our revival plans back another 3 years. In truth after recent traumas within the club, I don't know whether the energy exists to pick it up yet again and start over. We can't afford to lose BR at this critical stage.

In short, and I hate to say it, but BR isn't paid enough and I expect this will be addressed at the end of the season if we want him to commit 10+ years (via one contract or 3, that 's what we need him to do).
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy c legs » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:08 pm

Boocity » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:54 pm wrote:
andy c legs » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:19 am wrote:I totally agree with the above.

Next season is Brendan's 4th season in charge and it will be the acid test for him.

He must by now know what system he wants us to play and to adapt to depending on the opponents. We have finished in the top 4 under him but have yet to win a trophy.

I would NOT under any circumstances give him or any manager a 10 year contract. He may lose his huger and become complacent.

Also I'm still not 100% convinced of his transfer dealings - even if he sits on the transfer comittee he must have a large say on who we bring in.

He is also stubborn - he persisted in playing Balo much to the detriment of the team and it took him a while to hold his hand up and addmitt his mistake. If he had dropped Balo sooner we may have 6 or more vital points now.

I do like him though but that does not mean I agree with everything he does,  afterall NO ONE is bigger than OUR club.

That's ridiculous blaming Mario, it was the system we were playing and also the fact we were playing many players out of position and out of form. Putting the blame on Balotelli is a joke.[/quote

I don't doubt Balo's ability and talent and would love to see him utilise it more often in a red shirt - like Spurs home/Palace a in the cup but our form improved when BR began to play Sterling up front as a lone striker and then fitted the other players into a system which he thought would suit them best. It's no coincidence that our form improved. I have to say that when we signed Balo I was really excited at the prospect of him lining-up for us and again in his defence he played really well v Spurs A in a front 3. I'd love him to prove his worth and prove me wrong. All I care about is the team and the club at the end of the day - like us all.]
[b]I am and always will be in love with them...
andy c legs
LFC Basic Member

Postby maguskwt » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:58 pm

andy c legs » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:08 am wrote:
Boocity » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:54 pm wrote:
andy c legs » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:19 am wrote:I totally agree with the above.

Next season is Brendan's 4th season in charge and it will be the acid test for him.

He must by now know what system he wants us to play and to adapt to depending on the opponents. We have finished in the top 4 under him but have yet to win a trophy.

I would NOT under any circumstances give him or any manager a 10 year contract. He may lose his huger and become complacent.

Also I'm still not 100% convinced of his transfer dealings - even if he sits on the transfer comittee he must have a large say on who we bring in.

He is also stubborn - he persisted in playing Balo much to the detriment of the team and it took him a while to hold his hand up and addmitt his mistake. If he had dropped Balo sooner we may have 6 or more vital points now.

I do like him though but that does not mean I agree with everything he does,  afterall NO ONE is bigger than OUR club.

That's ridiculous blaming Mario, it was the system we were playing and also the fact we were playing many players out of position and out of form. Putting the blame on Balotelli is a joke.[/quote

I don't doubt Balo's ability and talent and would love to see him utilise it more often in a red shirt - like Spurs home/Palace a in the cup but our form improved when BR began to play Sterling up front as a lone striker and then fitted the other players into a system which he thought would suit them best. It's no coincidence that our form improved. I have to say that when we signed Balo I was really excited at the prospect of him lining-up for us and again in his defence he played really well v Spurs A in a front 3. I'd love him to prove his worth and prove me wrong. All I care about is the team and the club at the end of the day - like us all.]

Agreed... I have the same sentiments. At the end of the day balotelli hasn't shown enough. I was also excited when we signed balotelli. I thought we'd have a controversial player but who would turn out to serve us well, similar to Suarez. But so far Balotelli has shown zero football intelligence. He has alot of movement but all his movements are useless. He waits for the ball to be passed to him which slows down our play. If his movements were intelligent and purposeful, a player of coutinho's ability will be finding him all the time. It's ludicrous to blame BR for balotelli. It's once bitten twice shy for br when it comes to balotelli.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:22 pm

Guys I am not saying Balotelli has been great for us, I agree he could and should have done much much more, however my point was that the poor form of the team earlier this season cannot be placed squarely on his shoulders
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy c legs » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:13 pm

Boocity » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:22 pm wrote:Guys I am not saying Balotelli has been great for us, I agree he could and should have done much much more, however my point was that the poor form of the team earlier this season cannot be placed squarely on his shoulders

Now that I totally agree with mate. :;):

I said it all last summer, we needed a top notch goalscorer to replace Luis with. Everyone knew that - even my cat!!  :cool:  We all knew that we were linked with this striker, that stiker, Cavani etc and the longer the summer went on the more worried I was getting - I imagine you were too?? Then we got Balo in - he was worth a gamble at £16 mill, we had nothing to lose. Then we lost Sturridge. Bang - that was 50 goals plus gone at a stroke. Nearly any club would struggle after that. But it was the fact we did not buy that 20+ striker in the first place that was a double whammy for us.

Then it was clear that Balo did struggle playing on his own up front. He lacks pace and movement but not SKILL. Our game slowed. Also it was difficult for Rodgers to try and integrate all the new players into a system that worked. To my mind we have only picked results up when Sterling went up front and the system changed and Balo was dropped. It's been clear for all to see that we now have movement and skill on the ball and chances are being more easily created with the new players now in the side.

I'd love nothing better than for Balo to turn around, the next time he comes on and bangs in an hat-trick as though to say, 'Have some of that you buggers who had a go at me!!'. It might never happen but I'm hoping that he will at least WANT to show that sort of passion and desire and hunger whilst playing for us. Then BR can take the credit and say ' I told you so', smiling as he does it. Just look at Ibe - BR can take enormous credit for bringing  him on and giving him an opportunity - he's about the same dap as Balo and young Ibe frigthens the ***** out of opposition defences - now surely Balo could do the same, then we'd have a fab player on our hands. :;):
andy c legs
LFC Basic Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:39 pm

Boocity » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:22 pm wrote:Guys I am not saying Balotelli has been great for us, I agree he could and should have done much much more, however my point was that the poor form of the team earlier this season cannot be placed squarely on his shoulders

No, it cannot. Surely nobody has been insinuating this?

He hasn't made the impact I thought, or hoped he would.

But I do believe he has been putting in the effort when he has played - forgetting the fact he's a bit fick when it comes to in-game intelligence and decision making, I believe he's put in the effort that many in the past have derided him for.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:56 pm

Is this the Balotelli thread  or the BR thread?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:26 pm

Reg » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:56 pm wrote:Is this the Balotelli thread  or the BR thread?

It's a discussion about Rodgers' use of Balotelli, which is fair game isn't it?
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Reg » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:03 pm

More about Balo than BR I would have thought but hey-ho.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:12 pm

Reg » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:03 pm wrote:More about Balo than BR I would have thought but hey-ho.

Well, folk complain when we have a pop at the manager, so we're going indirect, through Balo instead.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby The_Rock » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:25 pm

Best young manager ? 10 year contract ? Lets just relax a little shall we.....

Rodgers has not won anything in his career. He has shown no competency whatsoever in European games.  He hasn't been successful so far in cup games. He hasn't proved that he can manage/coach a team challenging on multiple fronts (domestic league/cups & Europe). So how exactly is he worth a 10 year contract ?

Rafa won the champions league and FA cup in his 1st 2 seasons.
The King won the league cup (and lost the final of the FA cup to the eventual champions league winners) in his 1st full season (his 2nd coming)
Houllier won the treble in his 2nd season (after taking full charge of the team)

And Rodgers has done what ? Came in 2nd last season ...when it was our best chance to win the league. (especially with Chelsea, manure and man city changing managers). Rodgers should have shored the defence much earlier. Instead he kept playing kamikaze football with gerrard as a DM and look what happened ? He probably thinks football is a zero sum game where if you fix your defence, your attack will suffer....

Anyway my rant for this week is over. Hope we beat Swansea.  :D
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:06 am

and we did ...  well done Brendan, showed his colours when he tweaked the system at half time. We suddenly looked more like Liverpool.

Long may he continue
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:07 pm

* crickets chirping*
*chirp*
*chirp*
*chirp*

... What... We won?  :oops:

Ah I see...

*chirp*
*chirp*
*chirp*

:rasp
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy c legs » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:37 pm

Well whatever Brendan done at h't it did the trick. I would have given them all a rollicking apart from Mig. Sloppy and un-interested they were for long spells of that half, we could all see that. He tweaked it and gave Sterling more of an attacking licence and it did the trick.

Agreed he's not got everything right in his time here so far but then what manager does? He's made us far more difficult to beat now and still we've got back some of our attacking zest from last season so he can't be such a bad manager. I bet he's thinking in hindsight, that if he could have changed the system earlier in the season, then we could have been fighting not just for 3 champions league places but 4 (and the League title - again)..
andy c legs
LFC Basic Member

Postby andy c legs » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:37 pm

Well whatever Brendan done at h't it did the trick. I would have given them all a rollicking apart from Mig. Sloppy and un-interested they were for long spells of that half, we could all see that. He tweaked it and gave Sterling more of an attacking licence and it did the trick.

Agreed he's not got everything right in his time here so far but then what manager does? He's made us far more difficult to beat now and still we've got back some of our attacking zest from last season so he can't be such a bad manager. I bet he's thinking in hindsight, that if he could have changed the system earlier in the season, then we could have been fighting not just for 3 champions league places but 4 (and the League title - again)..
andy c legs
LFC Basic Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion