Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:44 am

If I was FSG I'd give Brendan a Pardew style 10 year contract, I think he's the best young manager in the game and I'd be moving heaven and earth to make sure clubs like City or Chelsea don't turn his head.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Santa » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:12 am

eds » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:17 am wrote:
woof woof ! » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:31 pm wrote:I voted yes with the caveat that he should be given until the end of this season before any of us start calling for his head.

As things (now) stand if we secure a top four finish, which looks far more of a possibility than it did a few months back, I'll applaud BR, say it's a job well done and be more than happy to see how we continue under his leadership next season.

However, failure to secure a place at footy's top table (champions league) for next season will do nothing to allay my doubts about BR's managerial ability.

Pretty much spot on Wolf.

If BR can get us 4th after such a disastrous start to the season he deserves to stay but massive questions will still remain, particularly on future signings and how we ensure our better players don't leave.

If he stays on he can't afford to make any more mistakes and and needs to beef up our starting XI not our squad! More importantly we need to get the blocks early next season and avoid the same shambles we saw in the CL this season.

I'll agree to the both of you. The criticism he gets wasn't unjustified as he was pretty much clueless but credit where it's due, as he managed to turned out season around and get us play the brand of football that serves us so well last season...but do I still have doubt smoothies ability? Absolutely, which is why he admitted to his fear of getting the sack just a couple of months back. It's good that some fans have faith in BR come what may but just because I don't share the same adoration for BR, don't mean I should be called out or be told I'm lesser of a fan. Geez some guys should get their head out once in a while and smells some fresh air.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:08 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:44 am wrote:If I was FSG I'd give Brendan a Pardew style 10 year contract, I think he's the best young manager in the game and I'd be moving heaven and earth to make sure clubs like City or Chelsea don't turn his head.

A 10 year contract is not a good idea, becomes too comfy and no pressure to perform and if a moneybags club came knocking wouldn't stop them from taking him if he wanted to go.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:14 pm

eds » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:17 am wrote:
woof woof ! » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:31 pm wrote:I voted yes with the caveat that he should be given until the end of this season before any of us start calling for his head.

As things (now) stand if we secure a top four finish, which looks far more of a possibility than it did a few months back, I'll applaud BR, say it's a job well done and be more than happy to see how we continue under his leadership next season.

However, failure to secure a place at footy's top table (champions league) for next season will do nothing to allay my doubts about BR's managerial ability.

Pretty much spot on Wolf.

If BR can get us 4th after such a disastrous start to the season he deserves to stay but massive questions will still remain, particularly on future signings and how we ensure our better players don't leave.

If he stays on he can't afford to make any more mistakes and and needs to beef up our starting XI not our squad! More importantly we need to get the blocks early next season and avoid the same shambles we saw in the CL this season.

If he gets top 4 then he has reached his and the clubs target for the year and deserves to stay in his job. I still don't like the man mostly because of his mouth but I suppose he can say what he wants as long as he has results to back it up.

Next season though  :eyebrow  There is every chance he will pull that side apart in the summer and arrive with another new system. Will he sign better players who are more accomplished or will it be more of the same. Historically his sides go on to play great stuff after christmas which many point out but in fairness if he wasn't tinkering about so much in the summer we might actually start the season in the same vein. It's no good if you only show up for half a season when you pretty much have flopped out of everything and have to go on a record run just to make top 4.

Will he also do any better in europe ?  Due to the absolute shocking campaign this year we have made no ground at all in raising our seeding and a 4th place finish means we could very well end up pulling a besiktas in the qualifiers. For me he learned nothing in the cl this year except that he is a stubborn mule thinking he could predict what way the group would go. The Europa league was another chance where he and the players could have gained experience in but despite a 2 month gap between competitions and a team thats  in form we still flopped at the first hurdle. Even if we qualify for the qualifiers this year there is no guarantee we will even get through it.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:19 pm

Boocity » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:08 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:44 am wrote:If I was FSG I'd give Brendan a Pardew style 10 year contract, I think he's the best young manager in the game and I'd be moving heaven and earth to make sure clubs like City or Chelsea don't turn his head.

A 10 year contract is not a good idea, becomes too comfy and no pressure to perform and if a moneybags club came knocking wouldn't stop them from taking him if he wanted to go.

I don't think he'd become complacent, he know's that it's ultimately a results based business, the ten year contract would be more of a signal of intent from the club that they see him as the long term future of the club.
I think one of the things that may deter Brendan from going to City/Chelsea etc is their high turn over of managers, the likes of Mourinho, Ancelotti, Mancini, AVB, Benitez, Pellegrini and Scolari are all successful, high profile managers who all ended up being shown the door.
I think Brendan wants to work somewhere where he has the chance to implement his ideas over a longer period of time.
To be fair he is an amazing coach, you go onto practically any other prem team's fan forums and I guarantee inbetween the usual sly digs at us there will be at least two or three posts praising our style of football. Even Chelsea fans were doing it after the PSG game ("with the players at our disposal why aren't we playing like Liverpool?" etc)
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:21 pm

To be fair as well I think the straw poll at the top of this thread was taken when we were right in the middle of our awful run, I think frustration definately played a part.
Last edited by ycsatbjywtbiastkamb on Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:22 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:44 am wrote:If I was FSG I'd give Brendan a Pardew style 10 year contract, I think he's the best young manager in the game and I'd be moving heaven and earth to make sure clubs like City or Chelsea don't turn his head.

Seriously yakka  :eyebrow Ten years  ???  Personally I think it wouldn't matter if he was given 20 years because if he though he could advance himself at a bigger club he'd be gone.

There is nothing wrong with the deal he has and if his head is turned a 10 year contract isn't going to stop him just like long player contracts aren't worth a $h!te either.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:42 pm

red till i die!! » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:22 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:44 am wrote:If I was FSG I'd give Brendan a Pardew style 10 year contract, I think he's the best young manager in the game and I'd be moving heaven and earth to make sure clubs like City or Chelsea don't turn his head.

Seriously yakka  :eyebrow Ten years  ???  Personally I think it wouldn't matter if he was given 20 years because if he though he could advance himself at a bigger club he'd be gone.

There is nothing wrong with the deal he has and if his head is turned a 10 year contract isn't going to stop him just like long player contracts aren't worth a $h!te either.

Mate along with Rafa Benitez he is the best thing to happen to this club in years. He has got his faults but so have all managers, one thing he is though is an absolutely fantastic coach.
They showed a clip from the Burnley game on Sky Sports soccer Saturday last weekend to highlight how well we were playing, the likes of Merson and Le Tissier were waxing lyrical about the clip saying it was like watching Barcelona at their best (which it was!) but what they didn't mention was that every player involved in the move was English (Sterling, Lallana, Sturridge etc).
English players are hardly known for their technique (Infact they are more famous for having none) but through sheer coaching ability Brendan is making silk purses out of sows ears.
It's one thing the likes of Barcelona and Bayern Munich putting together great footballing sides when they can go out and buy the likes of Messi, Robben, Suarez, Neymar, Ribery, Lewandowski, Gotze, Alonso etc but Brendan is doing it with relatively scant resources, especially compared to the top clubs here and abroad.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:21 pm

Still don't see how a ten year contract is going to improve any of that. If he is still in the job in another 10 years than he will have earned that through successive contracts which is the way it should be. Our players have to earn theirs so he should be no different. He rightly earned a new deal last summer and he got it but I don't see why he should be given a more lucrative deal a year later.

If he is committed to us it does not matter how long his contract is as he will stay.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:48 pm

red till i die!! » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:21 pm wrote:Still don't see how a ten year contract is going to improve any of that. If he is still in the job in another 10 years than he will have earned that through successive contracts which is the way it should be. Our players have to earn theirs so he should be no different. He rightly earned a new deal last summer and he got it but I don't see why he should be given a more lucrative deal a year later.

If he is committed to us it does not matter how long his contract is as he will stay.

As I said mate I'd move heaven and earth to keep him. I just don't see where we'd go if we lost him, especially now that United are spending as much as City/Chelsea and even Arsenal are spending £40m+ on one player.
Rafa did a phenomenal job but City weren't a force in his day and Arsenal were doing everything on a shoestring back then to pay for their stadium.
Brendan has got us punching above our weight, we are competing toe to toe with at least 4 clubs who have more resources than us and managers that can do that don't grow on tree's. It's not as if our rivals are managed by mugs either, the likes of Mourinho, LVG, Wenger and Pellegrini are amongst the best managers in the world.
One day the penny may drop with our fan base just how good a job Brendan is doing.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:55 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:48 pm wrote:
red till i die!! » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:21 pm wrote:Still don't see how a ten year contract is going to improve any of that. If he is still in the job in another 10 years than he will have earned that through successive contracts which is the way it should be. Our players have to earn theirs so he should be no different. He rightly earned a new deal last summer and he got it but I don't see why he should be given a more lucrative deal a year later.

As I said mate I'd move heaven and earth to keep him. I just don't see where we'd go if we lost him, especially now that United are spending as much as City/Chelsea and even Arsenal are spending £40m+ on one player.
Rafa did a phenomenal job but City weren't a force in his day and Arsenal were doing everything on a shoestring back then to pay for their stadium.
Brendan has got us punching above our weight, we are competing toe to toe with at least 4 clubs who have more resources than us and managers that can do that don't grow on tree's. It's not as if our rivals are managed by mugs either, the likes of Mourinho, LVG, Wenger and Pellegrini are amongst the best managers in the world.
One day the penny may drop with our fan base just how good a job Brendan is doing.

We punched above our weight last season but not this one and even though those clubs might have better resources they are not full of 40 million + players.

Chelsea have only ever crossed that figure once and that was the money they gave us for torres, City with the mega billions also only ever spent 40 million once and that was last summer on mangala. United have only ever crossed that figure once also and that was for di maria last summer. likewise with arsenal who spent on ozil. Thats it and its a far cry from the picture thats being painted.

We claim to have the finances to match them all and were also in the hunt for some of those players them clubs bought, sanchez, costa and willian were the big ones and we lost out, salah and mikhtaryan were another 2 in a slightly lower cost bracket that we failed to get also and the only ones we do seem to get are the ones no one else is looking for. Costa turns us down signs a new deal with athletico and goes to chelsea a year later, Even though we were close to getting him he didn't even give us a sniff when he actually moved. Even after the season we had. It isnt about the money as we have spent 35 mil on andy carroll and were willing to pay same for sanchez, We were also paying suarez 200k a week so obviously we have it to give for that one top player that costs big money.

Our problem is that we spent 35 million on carroll while for an extra 3 city got aguero. We got lallana for 25 and chelsea get fabregas and willian for 5 more. This is the problem and the quality between the players is far more than the price difference.

I agree they are top managers but rodgers also had the opportunity to work with one of them and he snubbed it. He also could have spent that magic number on a player if he didn't have to correct his previous mistakes.

He's either doing an okay job or maybe a great one but it depends on what your expectations are and if you have the rose tinted spec's on or not.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Santa » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:02 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:19 pm wrote:
Boocity » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:08 pm wrote:

I don't think he'd become complacent, he know's that it's ultimately a results based business, the ten year contract would be more of a signal of intent from the club that they see him as the long term future of the club.
I think one of the things that may deter Brendan from going to City/Chelsea etc is their high turn over of managers, the likes of Mourinho, Ancelotti, Mancini, AVB, Benitez, Pellegrini and Scolari are all successful, high profile managers who all ended up being shown the door.
I think Brendan wants to work somewhere where he has the chance to implement his ideas over a longer period of time.
To be fair he is an amazing coach, you go onto practically any other prem team's fan forums and I guarantee inbetween the usual sly digs at us there will be at least two or three posts praising our style of football. Even Chelsea fans were doing it after the PSG game ("with the players at our disposal why aren't we playing like Liverpool?" etc)

You said it right when you say this is a result based business. However you've forgotten that no business owner in his right mind will offer a decade long contract and tie the business down. Not good for motivation, not good for progress and certainly not good for a business in a bigger picture. Yet all these OTT adulation you had on BR will still not stop him from walking out should he choose to, so what is the bloody point in all these? I get it that you like him but I'm also pretty sure that you're not a very good businessman (not meant as a personal attack or criticism but more as a figure of speech for not understanding how the real world operates)  :oh:
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy c legs » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:19 pm

I totally agree with the above.

Next season is Brendan's 4th season in charge and it will be the acid test for him.

He must by now know what system he wants us to play and to adapt to depending on the opponents. We have finished in the top 4 under him but have yet to win a trophy.

I would NOT under any circumstances give him or any manager a 10 year contract. He may lose his huger and become complacent.

Also I'm still not 100% convinced of his transfer dealings - even if he sits on the transfer comittee he must have a large say on who we bring in.

He is also stubborn - he persisted in playing Balo much to the detriment of the team and it took him a while to hold his hand up and addmitt his mistake. If he had dropped Balo sooner we may have 6 or more vital points now.

I do like him though but that does not mean I agree with everything he does,  afterall NO ONE is bigger than OUR club.
[b]I am and always will be in love with them...
andy c legs
LFC Basic Member

Postby RedAnt » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:29 pm

The Balotelli situation is a strange one. Personally I think he should have played more but that he should have been used more appropriately. He's powerful and has an aggression that can be utilised, yet a lot of the time he approaches the game very timidly. That might suggest he's not fitting in with the squad. Many players and managers speak highly of him as a person, so maybe it's the treatment he's received, or the management of him. Or maybe he's just a d*ck.
Either way, we paid £16m for him and I assume he's on a decent wage so not playing Balo might also reflect badly on BR since it's his job to use the squad at his disposal regardless of wether he said yay or nay on the transfer committee.
Assuming though that Balo simply doesn't fit the squad or the 'vision' then why was he brought in in the first place? What are our scouts and transfer committee up to?
Some no doubt will say it's not BR's fault, it's the committee, Balo or whatever, but if Rodgers didnt want the lad and he was brought in anyway, is BR really our manger? Or is he simply a coach after all?
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Boocity » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:54 pm

andy c legs » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:19 am wrote:I totally agree with the above.

Next season is Brendan's 4th season in charge and it will be the acid test for him.

He must by now know what system he wants us to play and to adapt to depending on the opponents. We have finished in the top 4 under him but have yet to win a trophy.

I would NOT under any circumstances give him or any manager a 10 year contract. He may lose his huger and become complacent.

Also I'm still not 100% convinced of his transfer dealings - even if he sits on the transfer comittee he must have a large say on who we bring in.

He is also stubborn - he persisted in playing Balo much to the detriment of the team and it took him a while to hold his hand up and addmitt his mistake. If he had dropped Balo sooner we may have 6 or more vital points now.

I do like him though but that does not mean I agree with everything he does,  afterall NO ONE is bigger than OUR club.

That's ridiculous blaming Mario, it was the system we were playing and also the fact we were playing many players out of position and out of form. Putting the blame on Balotelli is a joke.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion