Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby maguskwt » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:49 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:30 am wrote:Rodgers personality may grate with one or two fans (though I suspect one or two are using that as an excuse because they thought last year was all down to Suarez and now don't want to eat humble pie) but what they can't deny is that in 3 seasons he has built 2 sides that play the most exciting football in the division and have us competing toe to toe with clubs who have the ability to spend £40m+ on one single player.
What's even more impressive is that he has done all that whilst being the same age as Ryan Giggs, we are not talking about a manager who has seen and done it all here, we are talking about a manager who has managed just 3 and a half seasons in the top flight. Like it or not we may have a potential managerial great on our hands.
Yes he may treat one or two players a bit unfairly and yes he has his favourites but which manager doesn't? Look at Ferguson, when he took over at Old Trafford Everton had won more titles than United, do you think United fans give a shyte that he was a cantankerous arl so and so?

Well said...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:52 pm

Aren't we still under-achieving this year? You'd think we'd won the league and the CL with all this humble pie talk. We crashed out of the CL really early, the Europa at our first appearance. We're out of the league cup. Recently the team has played well in the league but there's still away to go before we can be certain we made up for ground lost earlier in the season.
Some fans may think good league form is enough to sway the doubters but I'd say that was narrow minded. We're all pleased to see the team improving but there's been too many false dawns. Why are people imposing their belief that good league form is all that matters onto those that expect more? Wait until we win the league, or challenge in the CL, or win the FA Cup, then you'd have more right to dish the humble pie out.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Thommo's perm » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:22 pm

The_Rock » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:03 am wrote:Ok.....gotta do this to keep our run going.

I don't like Rodgers because he looks like Mayor Quimby (especially before he became slimmer). He sounds like Quimby too when talking to the press and cheating on his wife. So.......Rodgers out.

Hope we beat Blackburn.

Its posts like this which restore my faith in humanity
:Oo:
Thommo's perm

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:48 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:30 am wrote:Rodgers personality may grate with one or two fans (though I suspect one or two are using that as an excuse because they thought last year was all down to Suarez and now don't want to eat humble pie) but what they can't deny is that in 3 seasons he has built 2 sides that play the most exciting football in the division and have us competing toe to toe with clubs who have the ability to spend £40m+ on one single player.
What's even more impressive is that he has done all that whilst being the same age as Ryan Giggs, we are not talking about a manager who has seen and done it all here, we are talking about a manager who has managed just 3 and a half seasons in the top flight. Like it or not we may have a potential managerial great on our hands.
Yes he may treat one or two players a bit unfairly and yes he has his favourites but which manager doesn't? Look at Ferguson, when he took over at Old Trafford Everton had won more titles than United, do you think United fans give a shyte that he was a cantankerous arl so and so?

You're  a clever poster Yakka ,but maybe you should just simply accept that some of us, as you indeed suggested simply don't like the man ! As for the humble pie remark
I've never been one to turn my nose up at a slice or two if its inclusive and essential to the menu ...Lets face facts here mate we've both been supporting this team for a
long time ,perhaps you should quell the attempts to suggest not liking him is simply a smoke screen ,I think you know better than that ,at least I hope you do.

The simple fact is I'm honest enough to praise his contribution when its apparent its having a marked effect ,but that same candidness has to apply when commenting
on the fact my trust in the fella has dissipated culminating in our two feeble attempts at Europe and his' perpetual' sound bites regarding players and perpetuating the
myths exclusively that certain players are lazy ....The Kop aren't dense mate ,if the lad wasn't working for the team we would let him know.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:33 pm

RedAnt » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:52 am wrote:Aren't we still under-achieving this year? You'd think we'd won the league and the CL with all this humble pie talk. We crashed out of the CL really early, the Europa at our first appearance. We're out of the league cup. Recently the team has played well in the league but there's still away to go before we can be certain we made up for ground lost earlier in the season.
Some fans may think good league form is enough to sway the doubters but I'd say that was narrow minded. We're all pleased to see the team improving but there's been too many false dawns. Why are people imposing their belief that good league form is all that matters onto those that expect more? Wait until we win the league, or challenge in the CL, or win the FA Cup, then you'd have more right to dish the humble pie out.

I don't think we are under achieving. Yes we had a slow start but I think we have more than made up for that now.
After losing Suarez and seeing the likes of Chelsea, United and Arsenal all recruit players of the quality of Alexis Sanchez, Cesc Fabregas, Angel DiMaria, Falcao, Diego Costa, Philipe Luis, Marcos Rojo, Daley Blind, Luke Shaw etc etc I think the fact that we are not only right in the mix challenging for a top 4 spot but arguably look the best side in the country right now demonstrates that we are back on track.
That's without mentioning how well we have done in the domestic cup competitions as well.
Granted the CL/EL campaigns were wash out's but realistically this young team isn't experienced enough to compete in those tournaments yet, experience and know how plays a big part in doing well in Europe.
Our time will come though.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedAnt » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:56 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:33 pm wrote:
RedAnt » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:52 am wrote:Aren't we still under-achieving this year? You'd think we'd won the league and the CL with all this humble pie talk. We crashed out of the CL really early, the Europa at our first appearance. We're out of the league cup. Recently the team has played well in the league but there's still away to go before we can be certain we made up for ground lost earlier in the season.

I don't think we are under achieving. Yes we had a slow start but I think we have more than made up for that now.
After losing Suarez and seeing the likes of Chelsea, United and Arsenal all recruit players of the quality of Alexis Sanchez, Cesc Fabregas, Angel DiMaria, Falcao, Diego Costa, Philipe Luis, Marcos Rojo, Daley Blind, Luke Shaw etc etc I think the fact that we are not only right in the mix challenging for a top 4 spot but arguably look the best side in the country right now demonstrates that we are back on track.
That's without mentioning how well we have done in the domestic cup competitions as well.
Granted the CL/EL campaigns were wash out's but realistically this young team isn't experienced enough to compete in those tournaments yet, experience and know how plays a big part in doing well in Europe.
Our time will come though.

Our league form has definitely been encouraging, and I'll hold my hands up and say that I'm surprised. After we went out of the CL I honestly thought we'd plummet, but Rodgers has steadied the ship and well done to him. But we've had steady times and better under Rodgers and some awful times too, very recently, so I'd not be so quick to play the 'humble pie' card because it could easily come back at you, couldn't it?
Yes our league form has improved but it also coincided with having less matches to play due to failures elsewhere. Those that think we've turned a corner and that believe Rodgers to be world class are, in my opinion, being too hasty. Rodgers may turn out to be world class, and he may have learned enough this year to tighten up the screws for next year (perform on several fronts, improvements in the transfer market, better use of squad and press etc) and next year we might eat some humble pie. But maybe not. And this years performances, though encouraging of late, aren't enough to convince me yet. As of yet this season I think we've underachieved. We may hit our target, but we might not too. Would fourth, third or second and maybe the FA Cup be an over achievement? I don't know. We'd be well happy, of course. But taking Europe into account, and last seasons over achievements then I can understand peoples doubts.
RedAnt

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:37 pm

We drew-
Rodgers out!
:buttrock
Thommo's perm

Postby radun5 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:47 pm

RedAnt » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:56 pm wrote:Yes our league form has improved but it also coincided with having less matches to play due to failures elsewhere.

I won't comment on the rest but this argument is flawed.  So far we played as many matches as anyone with the single exception of the league cup final.  It is true we will play less in the run in due to being out of Europe, but this is the only failure that makes us play fewer games.

I will also add that the rhythm of two games a week has not affected us that much as seen last week.
radun5

Postby RedAnt » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:03 pm

radun5 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:47 pm wrote:
RedAnt » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:56 pm wrote:Yes our league form has improved but it also coincided with having less matches to play due to failures elsewhere.

I won't comment on the rest but this argument is flawed.  So far we played as many matches as anyone with the single exception of the league cup final.  It is true we will play less in the run in due to being out of Europe, but this is the only failure that makes us play fewer games.

I will also add that the rhythm of two games a week has not affected us that much as seen last week.

Well, you're overlooking a bit. Being out of Europe means less planning, less travelling, less rotation, less stress etc. It's not simply an extra game here and there.
RedAnt

Postby maguskwt » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:36 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:48 pm wrote:

You're  a clever poster Yakka ,but maybe you should just simply accept that some of us, as you indeed suggested simply don't like the man ! As for the humble pie remark
I've never been one to turn my nose up at a slice or two if its inclusive and essential to the menu ...Lets face facts here mate we've both been supporting this team for a
long time ,perhaps you should quell the attempts to suggest not liking him is simply a smoke screen ,I think you know better than that ,at least I hope you do.

The simple fact is I'm honest enough to praise his contribution when its apparent its having a marked effect ,but that same candidness has to apply when commenting
on the fact my trust in the fella has dissipated culminating in our two feeble attempts at Europe and his' perpetual' sound bites regarding players and perpetuating the
myths exclusively that certain players are lazy ....The Kop aren't dense mate ,if the lad wasn't working for the team we would let him know.

Mario Balotelli a 'waste of time' for Liverpool, says Mark Lawrenson

Former Liverpool defender Mark Lawrenson has told Brendan Rodgers to ditch Mario Balotelli, calling the striker a "waste of time."

Balotelli endured a difficult start to life at Liverpool following a 16 million-pound move from AC Milan last summer but seemed to have turned a corner when scoring winning goals against Tottenham Hotspur and Besiktas last month

The Italy international came on for the final 32 minutes of Livepool's 0-0 draw at home to Blackburn Rovers in the FA Cup quarterfinals -- and Lawrenson pulled no punches in his postmatch analysis for the BBC.

"Forget about Mario Balotelli. He is an absolute waste of time," he said. "He shouldn't be anywhere near this team.

"I can see why Brendan Rodgers threw him on today as he might just create something, but 99 times out of 100 he will let you down."

Lawrenson did praise Blackburn, who have earned a lucrative replay at Ewood Park on either April 7 or 8, with a Wembley semifinal on the weekend of April 18 at stake.

"Congratulations to Blackburn Rovers on an absolutely magnificent display -- they were never desperate at any time," he added.

"They have looked at how Liverpool have played recently and the tactics were spot on. Goalkeeper Simon Eastwood hasn't really had to make a real top class save."

I actually thought Balotelli was quite decent against Blackburn...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby radun5 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:46 pm

RedAnt » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:03 pm wrote:
radun5 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:47 pm wrote:

Well, you're overlooking a bit. Being out of Europe means less planning, less travelling, less rotation, less stress etc. It's not simply an extra game here and there.

I am not overlooking anything, I am simply saying that until now we have not yet benefitted of our exit from Europe. The trip to Istanbul, if anything, was more tiring than most potential 8th of finals in the Champions League, and the next round has not yet been played. Therefore, up to now, our results have not improved because of less matches, because we have not played less matches.
radun5

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:00 pm

maguskwt » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:36 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:48 pm wrote:

Mario Balotelli a 'waste of time' for Liverpool, says Mark Lawrenson

Former Liverpool defender Mark Lawrenson has told Brendan Rodgers to ditch Mario Balotelli, calling the striker a "waste of time."

Balotelli endured a difficult start to life at Liverpool following a 16 million-pound move from AC Milan last summer but seemed to have turned a corner when scoring winning goals against Tottenham Hotspur and Besiktas last month

The Italy international came on for the final 32 minutes of Livepool's 0-0 draw at home to Blackburn Rovers in the FA Cup quarterfinals -- and Lawrenson pulled no punches in his postmatch analysis for the BBC.

"Forget about Mario Balotelli. He is an absolute waste of time," he said. "He shouldn't be anywhere near this team.

"I can see why Brendan Rodgers threw him on today as he might just create something, but 99 times out of 100 he will let you down."

Lawrenson did praise Blackburn, who have earned a lucrative replay at Ewood Park on either April 7 or 8, with a Wembley semifinal on the weekend of April 18 at stake.

"Congratulations to Blackburn Rovers on an absolutely magnificent display -- they were never desperate at any time," he added.

"They have looked at how Liverpool have played recently and the tactics were spot on. Goalkeeper Simon Eastwood hasn't really had to make a real top class save."

I actually thought Balotelli was quite decent against Blackburn...

So did I  :nod

That lawrenson is a grade A Fooking knob anyway  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:20 pm

red till i die!! » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:00 pm wrote:

So did I  :nod

That lawrenson is a grade A Fooking knob anyway  :nod

Great defender and part of the most perfect CB pairing I've seen in a reds shirt ,but sadly I fully concur with the above
along with Steve Nicol he's the complete blurt when it comes to expressing his thoughts.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:24 pm

48% of people on this forum thought Rodgers should be sacked.

those people should come forward and be asked to leave.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:27 pm

Communists Leon, bl.oody communists the lot of them.   :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion