Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby devaney » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:39 pm

29 POINTS OUT OF 33

BR just keep it going on Sunday. Possibly our biggest game for a while !!!!!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:41 pm

andy c legs » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:37 pm wrote:Well whatever Brendan done at h't it did the trick. I would have given them all a rollicking apart from Mig. Sloppy and un-interested they were for long spells of that half, we could all see that. He tweaked it and gave Sterling more of an attacking licence and it did the trick.

Agreed he's not got everything right in his time here so far but then what manager does? He's made us far more difficult to beat now and still we've got back some of our attacking zest from last season so he can't be such a bad manager. I bet he's thinking in hindsight, that if he could have changed the system earlier in the season, then we could have been fighting not just for 3 champions league places but 4 (and the League title - again)..

I'm guessing he wouldn't be in the minority  in sharing those thoughts.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:42 am

Gotta keep this run going....so here's my rant at Rodgers for this week...

I hope for ours and his sake.....Rodgers does not take the easy way out and put gerrard or Johnson straight back into the team for the match against manure. Also don't give out stupid interviews about challenging for the title or aiming for 2nd. He has to make sure the team is focused 100% for this game. All our hardwork will go up in flames if we lose to that manure team.

1)Keep a strong midfield combo of Hendo & Allen (or Lucas)
2)Keep the 3 CBs trio of Can, Skrtel and Sakho
3)Keep Sterling and Coutinho upfront with Sturridge
4)Markovic and Moreno at wingbacks should give more pace to this team

Rodgers just gotta keep this team on their toes and hopefully we beat manure.

Ok....rant for this week is over. Hope we beat man u.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:49 am

The_Rock » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:42 am wrote:Gotta keep this run going....so here's my rant at Rodgers for this week...

I hope for ours and his sake.....Rodgers does not take the easy way out and put gerrard or Johnson straight back into the team for the match against manure. Also don't give out stupid interviews about challenging for the title or aiming for 2nd. He has to make sure the team is focused 100% for this game. All our hardwork will go up in flames if we lose to that manure team.

Hope your superstitions are right and agree with points 1-3. Only difference, and I suspect there will not be much support on Newkit for this, is I would play Glen Johnson at right back, he's much more of a natural defender than Markovic. Lucas won't start, surely can't be match fit. Stevie to come from the bench after 60 minutes if required.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:22 am

fivecups » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:49 am wrote:
The_Rock » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:42 am wrote:Gotta keep this run going....so here's my rant at Rodgers for this week...

Hope your superstitions are right and agree with points 1-3. Only difference, and I suspect there will not be much support on Newkit for this, is I would play Glen Johnson at right back, he's much more of a natural defender than Markovic. Lucas won't start, surely can't be match fit. Stevie to come from the bench after 60 minutes if required.

Thats the 1 position that I struggled with a well. I expect him to start Sterling at RWB with Lallana playing higher up but personally I'd go for Johnson with Markovic coming on in the 2nd half if we need to add a bit more pace down the flanks. They have Di Maria back and their new style of play sees them put plenty of crosses in so Markovic at RWB is a bit of an unneeded risk imo.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:38 pm

ah well....it was good while it all lasted.

Hopefully Rodgers goes with a balotelli & sturridge strike-force for the remaining games. We need more potency upfront.
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:39 pm

The_Rock » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:38 pm wrote:ah well....it was good while it all lasted.

Hopefully Rodgers goes with a balotelli & sturridge strike-force for the remaining games. We need more potency upfront.

Gerrard's ban could be a blessing in disguise, who knows, perhaps we'll win at Arsenal next week and be back in the mix for the top 4.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:48 pm

7_Kewell » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:39 pm wrote:
The_Rock » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:38 pm wrote:ah well....it was good while it all lasted.

Gerrard's ban could be a blessing in disguise, who knows, perhaps we'll win at Arsenal next week and be back in the mix for the top 4.

Yup agreed.

And we really should ditch this 3-4-3. We don't have the players to optimize this formation. Yes, we have been winning games.... But that coincided with lucas protecting the defence instead of gerrard. And having lallana, sterling and coutinho in the pitch at the same time is overkill. Yes, they will create chances...but if they are presented with one...they tend to miss more often than score.

Hope we go back to a conventional back 4 with lucas protecting. And Sturridge & Balotelli upfront.
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:22 pm

Our undefeated run (in the league at least) is over...so this is the rant.

But I would like to hear (or read about) other member's opinion on this matter. Under Rodgers do we really win the "Big" games when it matters ?

I am not talking about thrashing arsenal at home or manure at old thrashford last season. I am talking about the Besiktas game, Basle, Chelsea home last season. Crystal Palace away last season. Chelsea in the league cup semi-final.

In seems in a very "high pressured" game with lots of significance, Rodgers seems to get out-tacticfied by opposition managers. I know he is young. And I know he is learning.... But is he really a fast learner.

I was really spoiled with houllier and rafa (and even king Kenny) who knew how to win the big games (Semi finals, Cup finals...etc). Rodgers on the other hand.... basically spells his tactics to the whole word....and then starts with the same tactics over and over again (until competent managers sets up their teams to counter our game).

Against Swansea, he was lucky to go into the break goaless and he did well by changing the team tactics. Against manure, he wasn't so lucky. So what know ? Still continue playing this $hit 3-4-3 which only seems to benefit lallana ?
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:30 pm

The_Rock » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:22 pm wrote:Our undefeated run (in the league at least) is over...so this is the rant.

But I would like to hear (or read about) other member's opinion on this matter. Under Rodgers do we really win the "Big" games when it matters ?

I am not talking about thrashing arsenal at home or manure at old thrashford last season. I am talking about the Besiktas game, Basle, Chelsea home last season. Crystal Palace away last season. Chelsea in the league cup semi-final.

In seems in a very "high pressured" game with lots of significance, Rodgers seems to get out-tacticfied by opposition managers. I know he is young. And I know he is learning.... But is he really a fast learner.

I was really spoiled with houllier and rafa (and even king Kenny) who knew how to win the big games (Semi finals, Cup finals...etc). Rodgers on the other hand.... basically spells his tactics to the whole word....and then starts with the same tactics over and over again (until competent managers sets up their teams to counter our game).

Against Swansea, he was lucky to go into the break goaless and he did well by changing the team tactics. Against manure, he wasn't so lucky. So what know ? Still continue playing this $hit 3-4-3 which only seems to benefit lallana ?

Sh*t 3-4-3 which only seems to benefit Lallana? I can't believe the Sh*t that comes out of you sometimes. The 3-4-3 saw us on a 13 game undefeated run with 11 wins. You're just waiting for a defeat to come out with this wisdom... So do you still remember how under Rafa we seem to win the big games and lose so many points against "smaller" clubs?

try harder next time...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:50 pm

Sh*t 3-4-3 which only seems to benefit Lallana? I can't believe the Sh*t that comes out of you sometimes. The 3-4-3 saw us on a 13 game undefeated run with 11 wins. You're just waiting for a defeat to come out with this wisdom... So do you still remember how under Rafa we seem to win the big games and lose so many points against "smaller" clubs?

try harder next time...

Ibe, Markovic and Sterling are not wingbacks. But they had to restrict their natural tendancies to play this role. Balotelli and Lambert cannot get into the team with this formation. Manquilo (who looked our best RB) has been frozen since we moved to this 3-4-3. Can (though he looks quite stable as a CB) was bought as a midfielder.

People keep going on about this 3-4-3..... I have mention this numerous times. We stopped picking gerrard as a DM protecting our defence and bang our results improve. Yes 3-4-3 might have worked for a few matches. But there were loads of matches where we didn't really deserve to win the game...and we only manage to squeeze through by individual brilliance from sterling, hendo and coutinho.

Today's match showed us what winning the midfield battle does to a match. Manure won the midfield battle. They won the match.

We will not win many midfield battle by constantly playing this 3-4-3 when we don't have players who can really excel in this formation. It worked for a while. We scraped through a few results.

But when it comes to the really big matches, can we be confident ? This team suffers from a lack of genuine goalscorers. So why do we persist in playing with 3 CBs ? The logical solution is to play with 2 CB and get a striker in to support sturridge.
Last edited by The_Rock on Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:02 pm

criticising the system after our first league defeat in this calendar year is ridiculous. I wouldn't mind but we didn't even use the system for half the game as we were down to 10 men.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boocity » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:06 pm

I am not going to criticise the system but BR should have been ready for this after the poor first half against Swansea.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:13 pm

The top down review is still ongoing. The Owners won't accept 5th (Europa league etc) after spending a lot of money since they've been here. We'll have to see what happens at the end of the season, but a DOF (and potentially  new Head Coach) is likely. BR should have been ready for this game, but he wasn't.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby The_Rock » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:16 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:02 am wrote:criticising the system after our first league defeat in this calendar year is ridiculous. I wouldn't mind but we didn't even use the system for half the game as we were down to 10 men.

If we won against manure....I wouldn't criticise the system. But we didn't. So maybe now it is the right time to reflect.  We play with 3 Cbs and 2 wingbacks.... and when we do that, we are taking away an attacking midfielder or a striker who can do goals.

And furthermore....recent evidence is proving\that managers have found a way to counter this 3-4-3. So what shall we do ? Persist in playing this formation until it becomes unsustainable (like end of last season or beginning of this season) ? Or tweak it to benefit our other attacking players like markovic, balotelli, lambert and sterling ? (I don't wanna see sterling play as a RWB anymore).
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion