Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby parchpea » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:18 am

Shanks Forever » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:08 pm wrote:
parchpea » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:17 pm wrote:We wont know if the jobs too big until he's actually got a big job budget and freedom to spend it as he wishes.

Liverpool isn't the biggest job in football and we have a manager in line with our place in the food chain.

In the last 10 years we have averaged a 5th place finish so last season was exceptional and top 4 is a real strain
for us as opponents get ever stronger.

Rodgers wouldn't be at Liverpool if we had Arab money and that is the harsh reality but he's a progressive manager
looking to reach a higher level like many of our players, we are a stepping stone club and have been for a while.

Lol. That is the dumbest post I have ever read, anywhere on an Lfc forum.

Big job budget? He's spent 200million plus????? Tot his signings up you fool!!!

We are a stepping stone club?.

Listen, I suggest you go to the Lfc museum at Anfield mate. There you will see five European cups standing there. You won't find that at Chelsea, Arsenal or Man City's museum.

Some of the posters in here need shooting,  seriously. :(

Reality check that's all and I wouldn't expect any decent Liverpool fan to call another dumb or a fool but given the tone its learning curve
every day for you.

Been a fan nearly 40 years and don't need a reminder of the glory days thank you.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:48 am

Shanks Forever » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:36 am wrote:Some lengthy posts are really amusing here. You all try and "over analyse" every aspect of transfer tactics, football tactics, etc etc.

Football is really simple....
You buy quality, you are successful.
You.buy garbage, you suck.

When Mourhino took over Chelsea 1st time, he bought in a lot of top players, Drogba, Ballack, Essien etc, and guess Wat! They won the league twice in a row.

same goes for Man City.

Until we start signing.big names, then forget it. We won't achieve didn't squat. Either get rid of these silly yank owners, or get a new manager.
Brendan may have transfer targets, but no top players want to come here, and that's a concern.

Why do top players like, Sanchez, Ozil, Podolski, etc, prefer Arsenal over us?
Fabregas,  Costa, etc prefer Chelsea?
Falcao,  De maria,  etc prefer the scum over us?

No one wants to.come here, only fringe/ rejects.

Until that changes, forget it.

Stop over analyse everything, it's a lot simpler, than it seems.

Reasonable comment however not everyone can or wants to buy the league. The alternative is to produce skilled footballers from lower down the food chain and development into a league winning team.

If yhou look at the list of EPL champions since 1992, Man Utd won it through their exceptional babes from teh academy but once their established their superiority, the only clubs to have won teh league are Blackburn, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City.

Blackburn largely bought in with Jack Walker bankrolling them. Chelsea and Man City obviously bought their leagues. Only Arsenal footballed their way to the top.

In all years, Ure were never out of the top 3. That's a lot of guaranteed CL income and stadium redevelopment funds.

So you're right in what you say, currently if you want to win the league you have to buy it whereas the chances of you breaking the current mold and footballing your way to the top is currently (since 1992) 3 chances (Arsenal leagues) out of 22, or approx 7-1 against - assuming you have a squad thats been long enougth to develop into a seriously good footballing side. 

Take Arsenal out of the equation and it's never been done.   :(
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:27 am

maguskwt » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:31 pm wrote:
eds » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:57 am wrote:Our spaghetti noodle friend Mags, although having a higher sense of delusion among the faithful has highlighted the same thing I have been saying for the last few months.

What?? You just copied exactly  what I said and had to write an essay for it? Tsk tsk... I pity you...  :;):

You aren't the sharpest tool in the shed, are you sunshine?
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby eds » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:38 am

Reg » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:48 am wrote:
Shanks Forever » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:36 am wrote:Some lengthy posts are really amusing here. You all try and "over analyse" every aspect of transfer tactics, football tactics, etc etc.

When Mourhino took over Chelsea 1st time, he bought in a lot of top players, Drogba, Ballack, Essien etc, and guess Wat! They won the league twice in a row.

same goes for Man City.

Until we start signing.big names, then forget it. We won't achieve didn't squat. Either get rid of these silly yank owners, or get a new manager.
Brendan may have transfer targets, but no top players want to come here, and that's a concern.

Reasonable comment however not everyone can or wants to buy the league. The alternative is to produce skilled footballers from lower down the food chain and development into a league winning team.

If yhou look at the list of EPL champions since 1992, Man Utd won it through their exceptional babes from teh academy but once their established their superiority, the only clubs to have won teh league are Blackburn, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City.

Blackburn largely bought in with Jack Walker bankrolling them. Chelsea and Man City obviously bought their leagues. Only Arsenal footballed their way to the top.

In all years, Ure were never out of the top 3. That's a lot of guaranteed CL income and stadium redevelopment funds.

So you're right in what you say, currently if you want to win the league you have to buy it whereas the chances of you breaking the current mold and footballing your way to the top is currently (since 1992) 3 chances (Arsenal leagues) out of 22, or approx 7-1 against - assuming you have a squad thats been long enougth to develop into a seriously good footballing side. 

There is too much money involved in football for it to be done these days.

Arsenal were relatively successful in the early Wenger years because they weren't selling their better players and were able to keep stars like Viera, Pires, Henry, etc. Hence why they were able to win a few league titles. Since 2004 they have declined still obviously playing CL because they were able to keep bringing in young talented players into their squad, but they fell off winning trophies as they started selling their better players like Cole, Clichy, Nasri, Fabregas, Van Persie, etc. 

It's the same road which we seem to be taking and until we curve that nonsense we won't going anywhere near the title. I just hope we can keep the likes of Sterling, Coutinho and Sturridge in the next few years or its going to be a depressing decade coming up.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

eds

Postby maguskwt » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:21 pm

eds » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:27 am wrote:
maguskwt » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:31 pm wrote:
eds » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:57 am wrote:Our spaghetti noodle friend Mags, although having a higher sense of delusion among the faithful has highlighted the same thing I have been saying for the last few months.

What?? You just copied exactly  what I said and had to write an essay for it? Tsk tsk... I pity you...  :;):

You aren't the sharpest tool in the shed, are you sunshine?

You have been saying for months? Where? All I know is you just copied what I said and claimed to be your own and wrote an essay... :laugh:
Last edited by maguskwt on Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:27 pm

St Mick used to do that....   :laugh:  :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:47 pm

maguskwt » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:21 pm wrote:
You have been saying for months? Where? All I know is you just copied what I said and claimed to be your own and wrote an essay... :laugh:

Are you seriously that stupid that you think you are entitled to an opinion and if someone shares the same opinion they must be copying you.  :help

How old are you? f*cking 10 years old going onto 3?  I can't be bothered bringing back my posts from November and December where I had stated the same thing.

I noticed you don't post a grinning smiley anymore like you use to at the end of all your comments :D. That hilarious comment made about you being a special person walking around with a s**t grinning smirk on your face all day must have cut deep.

eds

Postby eds » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:49 pm

Reg » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:27 pm wrote:St Mick used to do that....   :laugh:  :laugh:

Just when I thought you couldn't get anymore stupid, you are always amazed by how relentless the local village idiots can be.

Tell us more about your sponsorship's conspiracy you clown.  :laugh:

eds

Postby Reg » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:45 am

The Beast releals himself....... :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Shanks Forever » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:26 pm

Reg » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:48 am wrote:

same goes for Man City.

Too true mate. It's all about quick success these days, overnight, just like winning the lotto or the X factor. People don't want to hang around.

Shame about the academy, we should have the new fowler, Gerrard and Owens in abundance coming through, but where are they. Utd were just lucky at that time to have such a crop of talent come through like theirs.
Shanks Forever
LFC Basic Member

Postby Shanks Forever » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:43 pm

parchpea » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:18 pm wrote:
Shanks Forever » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:08 pm wrote:
parchpea » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:17 pm wrote:We wont know if the jobs too big until he's actually got a big job budget and freedom to spend it as he wishes.

Liverpool isn't the biggest job in football and we have a manager in line with our place in the food chain.

In the last 10 years we have averaged a 5th place finish so last season was exceptional and top 4 is a real strain
for us as opponents get ever stronger.

Rodgers wouldn't be at Liverpool if we had Arab money and that is the harsh reality but he's a progressive manager
looking to reach a higher level like many of our players, we are a stepping stone club and have been for a while.

Lol. That is the dumbest post I have ever read, anywhere on an Lfc forum.

Big job budget? He's spent 200million plus????? Tot his signings up you fool!!!

We are a stepping stone club?.

Listen, I suggest you go to the Lfc museum at Anfield mate. There you will see five European cups standing there. You won't find that at Chelsea, Arsenal or Man City's museum.

Some of the posters in here need shooting,  seriously. :(

Reality check that's all and I wouldn't expect any decent Liverpool fan to call another dumb or a fool but given the tone its learning curve
every day for you.

Been a fan nearly 40 years and don't need a reminder of the glory days thank you.

Ok sorry about the "fool" bit.

We.need a manager who will bring us the world's best talent, hungry and driven, like Shanks.
A lot of proven managers would have spent that 200million more wisely. Rafa would have.got us Costa and Falcao.
You fool!!!!!!!  :)
Shanks Forever
LFC Basic Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:16 pm

Shanks Forever
Rafa would have.got us Costa and Falcao.

Not with FSG in charge he wouldn't.
If you replace Rodgers the next man in will have the exact same issue's, i.e - if the computer doesn't rubber stamp something it doesn't happen.
That's just the way FSG roll and they aren't going to alter their modus operandi for Rafa, Rodgers or for anyone.
They have a belief in statistics and solving problems with a scientific approach and to be fair it has brought them a lot of success in the past. Even here, if you look at the state we were in 5 years ago compared to now then we have made a hell of a lot of progress. Brendan is doing a good job in tough circumstances, okay the start of this season wasn't great but there was always going to be dip in form after essentially losing both Sturridge and Suarez. The important thing is that he found a solution.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Shanks Forever » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:56 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:16 pm wrote:
Shanks Forever
Rafa would have.got us Costa and Falcao.

Not with FSG in charge he wouldn't.
If you replace Rodgers the next man in will have the exact same issue's, i.e - if the computer doesn't rubber stamp something it doesn't happen.
That's just the way FSG roll and they aren't going to alter their modus operandi for Rafa, Rodgers or for anyone.
They have a belief in statistics and solving problems with a scientific approach and to be fair it has brought them a lot of success in the past. Even here, if you look at the state we were in 5 years ago compared to now then we have made a hell of a lot of progress. Brendan is doing a good job in tough circumstances, okay the start of this season wasn't great but there was always going to be dip in form after essentially losing both Sturridge and Suarez. The important thing is that he found a solution.

Don't entirely agree with that. Each manager will have a list of transfer targets and an allowable budget from the.board.
The board don't run/ pick the squad in terms of names,unless you have one of them football director roles, was it at Newcastle wen shearer was in charge, where the people upstairs interfere big time.

Remember there was talk of Rodgers wanting to get Falcao before we got Balotelli,  but Falcao chose man Utd, prob coz of Van Gaal,  who is known across Europe. Unlike BR,  who is relatively unknown, and has little pedigree. The manager has a lot to say in who we attract.

Look at Rafa, and the influx of Spanish we attracted wen he took.over in 2004/5. Torres and Alonso, Reina, Luis Garcia,  Riera,  Nunez,  Pellegrino, the Spanish Armada, only got on.the plane to Lfc coz of Rafa. Agree??

That was the manager, not the board.

Had we kept Suarez, then in.the summer, got Costa, a top class winger, and two solid defenders, thats all we needed from last season, and we would be lifting the league title this season.

No doubt about that.

But look who he has brought in, a load of prospects, and fringes.
Shanks Forever
LFC Basic Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:47 pm

But the point is Rodgers has to deal with a level of beaurocracy (including a computer program that has the power of veto not just over the manager but everyone) that Rafa never had here, Rafa might have attracted some good players but what would have happened if the computer would have knocked them back? By all accounts the computer knocked back Costa (who Brendan apparently wanted) so for all we know it might have put the kibosh on the likes of Alonso and Torres too.
If you look at Costa's entire career it's only the last couple of years that he's become prolific so I suppose it's not really a surprise that the computer knocked him back. Just because a player is good doesn't mean his numbers stack up in terms of what FSG are looking for.
The computer did pick the likes of Markovic and Can though who are starting to look the part so FSG could be right.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Shanks Forever » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:35 pm

I need a computer like this to run.my life, where do I.get one!!! ;)
Shanks Forever
LFC Basic Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion