Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:00 pm

Shanks Forever » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:35 pm wrote:I need a computer like this to run.my life, where do I.get one!!! ;)

If you get a doctorate in astro-physics or whatever it was like that fella on our committee you can write your own program  :D
I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to these things and to me football is a sport not a science but to be fair with every week that passes the committee's signings (bar Lovren) look better and better
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:37 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:47 pm wrote:But the point is Rodgers has to deal with a level of beaurocracy (including a computer program that has the power of veto not just over the manager but everyone) that Rafa never had here, Rafa might have attracted some good players but what would have happened if the computer would have knocked them back? By all accounts the computer knocked back Costa (who Brendan apparently wanted) so for all we know it might have put the kibosh on the likes of Alonso and Torres too.
If you look at Costa's entire career it's only the last couple of years that he's become prolific so I suppose it's not really a surprise that the computer knocked him back. Just because a player is good doesn't mean his numbers stack up in terms of what FSG are looking for.
The computer did pick the likes of Markovic and Can though who are starting to look the part so FSG could be right.

You can't seriously believe that a computer program is actually picking the players to sign ? or that FSG are picking them themselves ?.
All of this stuff that has been leaked to the media is nothing concrete, just spin to confuse everyone on who is to blame. Even when this was put to him back in may he went on record saying he has the 1st and last say on players.

Bottom line yakka is that he didn't want to work under van gaal who would be signing the players for him and there is no way he would do a full 360 on that especially in favor of a piece of software or interference from the owners.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:20 pm

red till i die!! » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:37 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:47 pm wrote:But the point is Rodgers has to deal with a level of beaurocracy (including a computer program that has the power of veto not just over the manager but everyone) that Rafa never had here, Rafa might have attracted some good players but what would have happened if the computer would have knocked them back? By all accounts the computer knocked back Costa (who Brendan apparently wanted) so for all we know it might have put the kibosh on the likes of Alonso and Torres too.
If you look at Costa's entire career it's only the last couple of years that he's become prolific so I suppose it's not really a surprise that the computer knocked him back. Just because a player is good doesn't mean his numbers stack up in terms of what FSG are looking for.
The computer did pick the likes of Markovic and Can though who are starting to look the part so FSG could be right.

You can't seriously believe that a computer program is actually picking the players to sign ? or that FSG are picking them themselves ?.
All of this stuff that has been leaked to the media is nothing concrete, just spin to confuse everyone on who is to blame. Even when this was put to him back in may he went on record saying he has the 1st and last say on players.

Bottom line yakka is that he didn't want to work under van gaal who would be signing the players for him and there is no way he would do a full 360 on that especially in favor of a piece of software or interference from the owners.

Wasn't it James Pearce who said that mate, the Echo's Liverpool correspondent?
Anyway I'm actually in favour of the committee and it's computer, I think the likes of Can, Markovic and Moreno will be top players and certainly better than the ones Brendan reportedly wanted like Bertrand, Davies and Bony. I was just making the point that the days when managers had total autonomy over who came in and out of the club have long gone, they will have an input, of course they will, but their word will no longer be law. Like every other business on the planet football clubs these days will be looking at the bigger picture and working to a financial model.
I quite like the set up we have, I think Brendan is at his best when he's on the training pitch putting together teams that play attractive, attacking football and I like the fact that our transfer committee is prepared to look beyond Swansea (and Chelsea's reserves) when recruiting new players.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:55 pm

Agree with that Yakka.

After a 6 month settling in period I think it's a reasonable time to assess the summer signings.

For me, Markovic and Can look like they will more than justify the money paid.  Lallana looks a good signing too - the price is questionable but you always pay a premium for English players and we need a certain quantity of them in our squad.  All three have had injuries which hasn't helped them settle quickly.

Moreno hasn't entirely convinced me, defensively he still looks vulnerable but he is getting better and at 20 he has time to improve.  There have been flashes of quality going forward.  He may yet justify his price.

Manquillo looks average to me but he's a loan so it can hardly be called a bad signing.

Lambert has been played more often than Rodgers probably planned due to our striker problems this season.  He wouldn't have expected Sturridge to miss so many games or Balotelli to be so poor.  If Lambert was used more like he was today - an impact player used at the right time in the right games then more people might have considered him a good buy.  As it is he's been used in the wrong games a lot of the time.

Balotelli has been underwhelming.  He has all the physical attributes to be brilliant but unfortunately the lad has no football brain.  If he can be coached to play on the defenders' shoulder more or at least run the channels to make space for others instead of coming short EVERY time, he might still have a chance.  But I doubt it and time is running out.  Most likely he'll be sold in the summer but we won't lose a lot on him.  There will be a team that offers upwards of 10mil still I reckon.

Lovren has simply been garbage.  A surprise to some, but I'm going to be 'that told you so person'.  I raised concerns at the time based on how bad he was when we won 3-0 at St Marys last season (incidentally Lallana gave us the runaround the first half that day).  Southampton are showing this season that it was Fonte that was the glue in that defence and not Lovren.  We'll make a big loss on him for sure.

Overall it's looking better than it was a month or two back, when Markovic was looking like a pub player, Can inexplicably couldn't get a game and Lallana was in and out of the team.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:05 pm

JC_81 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:55 pm wrote:Agree with that Yakka.

After a 6 month settling in period I think it's a reasonable time to assess the summer signings.

For me, Markovic and Can look like they will more than justify the money paid.  Lallana looks a good signing too - the price is questionable but you always pay a premium for English players and we need a certain quantity of them in our squad.  All three have had injuries which hasn't helped them settle quickly.

Moreno hasn't entirely convinced me, defensively he still looks vulnerable but he is getting better and at 20 he has time to improve.  There have been flashes of quality going forward.  He may yet justify his price.

Manquillo looks average to me but he's a loan so it can hardly be called a bad signing.

Lambert has been played more often than Rodgers probably planned due to our striker problems this season.  He wouldn't have expected Sturridge to miss so many games or Balotelli to be so poor.  If Lambert was used more like he was today - an impact player used at the right time in the right games then more people might have considered him a good buy.  As it is he's been used in the wrong games a lot of the time.

Balotelli has been underwhelming.  He has all the physical attributes to be brilliant but unfortunately the lad has no football brain.  If he can be coached to play on the defenders' shoulder more or at least run the channels to make space for others instead of coming short EVERY time, he might still have a chance.  But I doubt it and time is running out.  Most likely he'll be sold in the summer but we won't lose a lot on him.  There will be a team that offers upwards of 10mil still I reckon.

Lovren has simply been garbage.  A surprise to some, but I'm going to be 'that told you so person'.  I raised concerns at the time based on how bad he was when we won 3-0 at St Marys last season (incidentally Lallana gave us the runaround the first half that day).  Southampton are showing this season that it was Fonte that was the glue in that defence and not Lovren.  We'll make a big loss on him for sure.

Overall it's looking better than it was a month or two back, when Markovic was looking like a pub player, Can inexplicably couldn't get a game and Lallana was in and out of the team.

Summed up perfectly JC, good post.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:09 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:
red till i die!! » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:37 pm wrote:

Wasn't it James Pearce who said that mate, the Echo's Liverpool correspondent?
Anyway I'm actually in favour of the committee and it's computer, I think the likes of Can, Markovic and Moreno will be top players and certainly better than the ones Brendan reportedly wanted like Bertrand, Davies and Bony. I was just making the point that the days when managers had total autonomy over who came in and out of the club have long gone, they will have an input, of course they will, but their word will no longer be law. Like every other business on the planet football clubs these days will be looking at the bigger picture and working to a financial model.
I quite like the set up we have, I think Brendan is at his best when he's on the training pitch putting together teams that play attractive, attacking football and I like the fact that our transfer committee is prepared to look beyond Swansea (and Chelsea's reserves) when recruiting new players.

It was pearce who came out and said that it was one of the requirements when scouting a player that they be ran through the program. He never said it was the main requirement or the final decision. He also was citing a source inside the club but wouldn't name him. Imo our owners, manager and ayre are all media savvy and have no problems playing them to deflect criticism away from what would have cost most people their jobs. I think rodgers has the final say but could have been out voted by the other committee members as i think was the case with balotelli when he wanted bony. I think his previous transfers had a lot to do with that decision by the committee if true.

I really think most transfers are hit and miss but we have a throw $h!te at the wall and see what sticks approach. We haven't strayed too far from swansea or the chelsea reserve pool either by going to southampton and now possibly west ham and villa. We haven't got one top player from one top club and since FSG took over we have been involved in some comical transfer shenanagans from crappy loans to trials and last chance saloons, we were even announcing players who were not even signed for us. Its embarrassing tbh and now our future looks to be sell to buy and bosmans. I don't blame them for wanting to do things on the cheap and in line with FFP especially seeing as there is value to be had out there. we could have easily got players like bojan, erikson, alderweireld, song and even that lad tadic for a fraction of what we did pay for others. If they really knew anything about football then they never would have allowed such big fees spent on players like lallana, lovren or allen to name a few. Rodgers had a massive part in spunking that money along with ayre.

I agree that its a thing of the past where managers have total control in what goes on and most have a DOF or some sort of committee but rodgers is a manager who does things his way and going by all his interviews when he got the job that he is very much in charge of football matters. Its his job and he wouldn't allow someone else to dictate circumstances to him. Thats the impression I get off him anyway.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:22 pm

JC_81 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:55 pm wrote:Agree with that Yakka.

Hard to disagree with much of that.
Don't think balotelli has been given a fair shot at all, Hes been used more as a scapegoat than a player when it was absolutely clear from the off he would never suit the system. I thought we had a system in mind when signing him but apparently not. hopefully he gets a proper chance alongside sturridge when he returns as i think if sturridge is carrying the weight we will get more from balotelli.

Lambert I thought was a poor choice from the off. Never good enough to play for us and that money should have been put to the balotelli fee and spent elsewhere.

agree though things are much better than a month or 2 back  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:00 pm

Just bit of a bump. Think Brendan should be given credit for the recent upturn in results. Not long ago was taking quite a lot of stick but tonight's performance shows that now that a couple of the new arrivals are beginning to settle, he is getting it right on the pitch. Obviously, he still has improvements to make but credit to Brendan
Doeboy

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:21 pm

Doeboy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:00 pm wrote:Just bit of a bump. Think Brendan should be given credit for the recent upturn in results. Not long ago was taking quite a lot of stick but tonight's performance shows that now that a couple of the new arrivals are beginning to settle, he is getting it right on the pitch. Obviously, he still has improvements to make but credit to Brendan

People forget that Brendan is the same age as Ryan Giggs and at that age of course he's going to make mistakes but he also puts together football teams that play a superb brand of football. IMO we are lucky to have him.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:35 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:21 pm wrote:
Doeboy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:00 pm wrote:Just bit of a bump. Think Brendan should be given credit for the recent upturn in results. Not long ago was taking quite a lot of stick but tonight's performance shows that now that a couple of the new arrivals are beginning to settle, he is getting it right on the pitch. Obviously, he still has improvements to make but credit to Brendan

People forget that Brendan is the same age as Ryan Giggs and at that age of course he's going to make mistakes but he also puts together football teams that play a superb brand of football. IMO we are lucky to have him.

I think the majority of people appreciate he is young for a manager and will make mistakes. Issue for a lot of people was/is more whether you can have someone learn on the job in one of the biggest football managerial jobs around, which is think is fair enough. To be fair, Rodgers has come through that rocky period and will probably help his development. Think the rest of the season has the potential to be quite exciting for us. Signs are there we have turned the corner and a lot of credit should go to Rodgers
Doeboy

Postby kazza » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:37 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:21 pm wrote:

I'd agree
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:44 pm

Doeboy » Jan 20th, '15, 23:00 wrote:Just bit of a bump. Think Brendan should be given credit for the recent upturn in results. Not long ago was taking quite a lot of stick but tonight's performance shows that now that a couple of the new arrivals are beginning to settle, he is getting it right on the pitch. Obviously, he still has improvements to make but credit to Brendan

The players he brought in are more suited to this way of playing, not the way he had them playing for months on end. Everyone could see months ago that his philosophy style wasn't working and should have changed it, he didn't until now. Had he changed things months ago, LFC would be in a better place. He's decided to reintroduce to a certain degree what Bielsa advised on, why, because he knows his job is  on the line. The Owners are undertaking an extensive review  and we will see what the recommendations are soon enough - DOF and Head Coach are likely.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:10 am

We are playing some superb football again and what's more we are doing it without either Suarez or Sturridge.
The manager has proven that our great form last season wasn't just a flash in the pan or just down to Suarez, maybe now he'll start getting some of the respect he obviously deserves.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:30 am

Agreed with most of this, well said lads.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:05 am

eds » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:49 am wrote:
Reg » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:27 pm wrote:St Mick used to do that....   :laugh:  :laugh:

Just when I thought you couldn't get anymore stupid, you are always amazed by how relentless the local village idiots can be.

Tell us more about your sponsorship's conspiracy you clown.  :laugh:

Here you go:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... -news.html

Tin hats on lads, soft lad's about to kick off again!    :veryangry  :help  :veryangry
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion