Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby only me » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:05 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:31 pm wrote:
only me » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:36 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:48 pm wrote:What makes me laugh about all this is that you will all be hailing him as a great manager again in a couple of months time when we are firing on all cylinders.
You watch what happens when we sign Begovic and get Sturridge back.

??? What are you about YAka? Season is a failure already ,out of the CL ,our best hope is maybe scratching at the 4th spot and we have barely reached midterm, huge loss of transfer funds...failed on all fronts no idea what your expectations were...

The season is only halfway through mate so I don't know how you can declare it a failure already, okay we are out of the CL but we still have a chance of winning the FA cup, Europa League and League cup.
Arsenal (the bookies favourites to finish 4th) are only 5 points ahead of us and we just played them off the park a couple of days ago. Given our upturn in form and run of fixtures it wouldn't surprise me if we catch them by the end of January never mind next May.
Has this season been great? No it certainly has not but it's not yet a total write off either.

Theoretically you are correct but be real with-yourself ,the general expectations was to see another step forward and not this state of limbo and chaos we are currently at ,Yes our best player left but a SERIOUS organization a SERIOUS and PROFESSIONAL manager would have prepared well ahead for this and would have made sure our ROI (return on investment) is at least acceptable and not the abysmal state we are currently at ,and it doesn't stop their ,it's his tactics ,his line-ups ,his utilization of current work force it's all a farce and it's been unbearable to watch (except a few). We can't afford this "team building" approach which and other seem to embrace ,after last year we needed a few changes ,the bulk (but one) of the squad remained ,our weakness were all to see ,why is this 180 degrees shift in form? This is unacceptable in my book sorry mate.

So while it's not a total write off ,Yet ,it's heading their ,you can write off 2 objectives already - progressing in the CL and competing at least till the last stages over the PL title ,and maybe the most important for us fans having an entertaining team to watch ,which plays with commitment and desire to win....
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:33 pm

I know this video is old...... But this is a classic example of words coming back to bite you.

A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:49 pm

The_Rock » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:33 pm wrote:I know this video is old...... But this is a classic example of words coming back to bite you.

It don't matter if you produce every piece of waffle the man has spouted there will always be a few on here who will refuse to acknowledge any of it  :nod
Hated listening to Hodgson but i gave up listening to that muppet long ago. I fecking cringe when i see him giving an interview.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:23 pm

The_Rock » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:33 pm wrote:I know this video is old...... But this is a classic example of words coming back to bite you.

+

"We will not do a Tottenham..."

"Liverpool will categorically NOT sign Mario Baleotelli.."

Its sad that when we approach a transfer window these days I dread it knowing how Rodgers + Transfer committee will end up blowing our transfer funds on rubbish.

I would not give Rodgers any additional funds to spend on new players. Live or die by the amount already spent.
killerp

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:33 pm

To be fair there hasn't been a manager born that hasn't said something that has come back to bite him on the backside. It wasn't that long ago that fans were having a go at Kenny for a perceived lack of media skills and now probably the same ones are having a go at Brendan for being too slick in front of the camera's.
All that type of stuff is peripheral anyway, who talked more rubbish and contradicted himself more than Alex Ferguson but did that bother the United fans one jot? Ferguson would often fly off the handle or walk out of press conferences after being asked the most mundane of questions, he didn't speak to the BBC for a decade, often banned journalists from Old Trafford and on more than one occassion stuck his oar into other clubs business (usually if they'd sacked one of his mates), he was also famous for his sly digs at other managers that the press would laugh off as mind games.
Brendan's press conferences and faux pas are tame by comparison.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boocity » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:46 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:33 pm wrote:To be fair there hasn't been a manager born that hasn't said something that has come back to bite him on the backside. It wasn't that long ago that fans were having a go at Kenny for a perceived lack of media skills and now probably the same ones are having a go at Brendan for being too slick in front of the camera's.
All that type of stuff is peripheral anyway, who talked more rubbish and contradicted himself more than Alex Ferguson but did that bother the United fans one jot? Ferguson would often fly off the handle or walk out of press conferences after being asked the most mundane of questions, he didn't speak to the BBC for a decade, often banned journalists from Old Trafford and on more than one occassion stuck his oar into other clubs business (usually if they'd sacked one of his mates), he was also famous for his sly digs at other managers that the press would laugh off as mind games.

You're clutching at straws there Yakka, pretty sad when you are trying to use a legend who didn't give a sh1t about the media and his only concern was LFC to justify BR's embarrassing statements to the media.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:31 pm

Boocity » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:46 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:33 pm wrote:To be fair there hasn't been a manager born that hasn't said something that has come back to bite him on the backside. It wasn't that long ago that fans were having a go at Kenny for a perceived lack of media skills and now probably the same ones are having a go at Brendan for being too slick in front of the camera's.

You're clutching at straws there Yakka, pretty sad when you are trying to use a legend who didn't give a sh1t about the media and his only concern was LFC to justify BR's embarrassing statements to the media.

How is that clutching at straws? Yakka is dead right that all this is peripheral. Who the feck cares what the manager says in the media. What matters is the performance of the team on the pitch. Would you lot be focussing on what BR says when we're winning? No. Just because we are losing, every single thing that comes out of BR's mouth is being scrutinized and made fun of, which is honestly really pathetic...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:34 pm

Don't think you can really compare whisky face to be honest mate . Because of his success, he was able to get away with a lot because he backed it up with results and was respected because of that.

As a young manager trying to make his mark with no real record of success in terms of honours behind him, BR has to be much more vary of what he comes out with in the media especially in such a high profile job, as it could leave him with egg on his face
Doeboy

Postby Boocity » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:43 pm

maguskwt » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:31 pm wrote:
Boocity » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:46 pm wrote:

How is that clutching at straws? Yakka is dead right that all this is peripheral. Who the feck cares what the manager says in the media. What matters is the performance of the team on the pitch. Would you lot be focussing on what BR says when we're winning? No. Just because we are losing, every single thing that comes out of BR's mouth is being scrutinized and made fun of, which is honestly really pathetic...

The remark clutching at straws was in answer to Yakka trying to defend his comment in the above video. You may say now that you don't give a feck what the manager says but I will bet you were lapping it up and agreeing with him when he made those quotes about Spurs but now he's done the same thing it's peripheral
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:21 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:33 pm wrote:To be fair there hasn't been a manager born that hasn't said something that has come back to bite him on the backside. It wasn't that long ago that fans were having a go at Kenny for a perceived lack of media skills and now probably the same ones are having a go at Brendan for being too slick in front of the camera's.

Ferguson never pandered to the media parasites like he does. Rodgers elaborates on everything he is asked and even more so on the stuff he isn't. He just keeps spewing it out like recently with mingolet, resting sterling and the other day with balotelli. The man just loves listening to himself waffle on and on and on and on and it isn't like he hasn't stuck it into other clubs either. Saints lacking ambition, vincent tan and claiming he wouldn't do a spurs by wasting a $h!t load of money.

If you were to add up the minutes he has spent in press conferences I'd bet he would put Harry Redknapp to shame and that takes some doing.

Every single LFC fan I speak to is sick of listening to him at this stage, even the pro ones had enough of it. I totally know which side of the fence you are on but for some reason you feel you need to defend him, even in situations where he threw himself into the hole that his mouth dug for him.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:42 am

I just don't see the point in dragging up old press conferences just to have a go at the manager. It's like having a go at him for getting his teeth done, it's petty.
it just comes across like your having a go at the man more than his managerial skills
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:13 am

Every manager makes mistakes and if we are going to re-run those nobody is up to the task.

We took on a manager with potential working under a regime that does not allow him free reign on signings and whilst we have
spent a decent amount of money its on a lot of players because of wage restraints.

Its one thing saying just buy 3 players at £40m each but guys at that level require a weekly wage of £200m + so like Spurs we are
not in that position and end up buying potential with wages we can afford.

Rodgers is big enough for the club because the reality is no world class proven manager would take it at the moment and don't give
me Benitez who wouldn't last 6 months with FSG and is not an elite manager away otherwise he wouldn't be at Napoli.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:20 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:42 am wrote:I just don't see the point in dragging up old press conferences just to have a go at the manager. It's like having a go at him for getting his teeth done, it's petty.
it just comes across like your having a go at the man more than his managerial skills

I admit...I have been going overboard with these comments in this forum (in the short-time i was back). I have posted comments about his personal life which i admit is "under the belt".

I haven't been this brutal to someone...so fast. Even Hodgson. I did not attack his personal $hit that much. The thing is i tried to force myself to like Rodgers every time he does well with this team. (especially last season). But then he loses all credibility by just opening his gap. The talks of Chihuahua, giving the press permission to write him us being challengers....etc. Someone who has no experienced managing a title challenging team harping more pressure on the team...and guess what ? we choked in the last minute.

Compare that with pellegrini (Whom i think should be the manager we should be aiming for. You see how he is dealing with a bunch of primma-donnas at man city ? Once he gets rids of Yaya toure and Nasri {who screw up all the team dynamics behind the scene}, and replace them with his players...Man city will really be unstoppable) & mourinho who basically didn't want to put pressure on their more seasoned players.

So experienced managers didn't want their players to feel the heat of the title run in. And Rodgers did the opposite.....

So yes, i admit it. i just don't like Rodgers. I hated it when he was whoring himself to the press by saying we LFC will play "Swansea" way when he 1st came in.. Just imagine. The biggest team in England and one of the 10 biggest teams in the world who last were in the champions league final in 2007 and who were 2nd in the league in 2008 (just 4 years before Rodgers was hired) had to play the Swansea way ? A club who 99.9999% of the world haven't heard about ? And we were supposed to mimic them ?

Rodgers started in my bad books....He is doing nothing to change that. And so yeah....sometimes when i am pi$$ed off, i tend to attack him personally.  :D But all jokes aside...i am trying by very best to like him. But every press conference  i see him in....   :censored:

Maybe one of my new year resolutions should be to stop watching his pre/post press conference. Hopefully i will cut him less slack this way.

Anyway...sorry for the rant. Hope we win today. Happy boxing day to all.  :buttrock
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:30 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:42 am wrote:I just don't see the point in dragging up old press conferences just to have a go at the manager. It's like having a go at him for getting his teeth done, it's petty.

I have never had a go at him over his teeth or his bird or anything personal, I couldn't give a toss what he does in his private life as that's his business.
He provides plenty of ammo in the form of his supposed managerial skills without having to resort to cheap shots at his personal life.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:46 pm

red till i die!! » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:30 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:42 am wrote:I just don't see the point in dragging up old press conferences just to have a go at the manager. It's like having a go at him for getting his teeth done, it's petty.

I have never had a go at him over his teeth or his bird or anything personal, I couldn't give a toss what he does in his private life as that's his business.
He provides plenty of ammo in the form of his supposed managerial skills without having to resort to cheap shots at his personal life.

That wasn't directed at you mate (or anyone else in particular), it's just that I've seen the odd comment thrown in here and there and IMO there's no real need for it.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion