Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:07 am

I don't know who from within the club is leaking this $h!te to the rags but it isn't going to end well and once again we have become a laughing stock  :down:
Its all a bit convenient now that brendan is being painted as a victim when he clearly isn't   :no
Most seem to believe now that he is a yes man and being bullied by a committee that only came about when he refused to work under a DOF.
Even though he has publicly gone on record numerous times saying stuff like i have the first and last say, The committee is a great help and its the right way to work in the modern game but half of you will still disregard any of that and row in behind some unnamed source stirring $h!te.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:59 am

mart » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:07 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:53 am wrote:
By the sounds of it jacdaniels example isn't a million miles away from how the transfer committee works, apparently Rodgers was dead set against Balotelli signing but he was outvoted on the issue so Mario was brought in against his will.

According to the article RBG posted above, Rodgers managed to stop the proposed transfer of Nastasic so he clearly has some say in the transfers, while jackdaniels made it sound like Rodgers had no influence whatsoever.

And here is a quote from May this year:

Brendan Rodgers has praised the work of Liverpool FC’s transfer committee as the manager reiterated he will have the final say on all signings this summer.

“The principle idea when I first came in was that like any manager you will have the first call on a player and the last call.

“That’s the call on whether he’s good enough to continue to look at and try to organise a deal and the last call to say yes or no.

“We will never bring in a player here who the manager doesn’t want in. That’s a great credit to the owners and the other people at the club.

“We work very closely together – it’s worth stressing that. It’s key that we are very much one club.

Well maybe Rodgers managed to put the kibosh on the Nastasic transfer by convincing other committee members to vote with him or maybe he did have the power of veto back then but has since had it removed.
Whatever happened it seems James Pearce of the echo is now saying that Rodgers does not have the power of veto, Brendan obviously has a say but he does not have the final say.
And let's face it echo reporters from Pearce back to the likes of Barrett, Brian Reade and even Earnest 'Bee' Edwards in the early 1900's (who gave the Spion Kop it's name) have traditionally had the ear of the Liverpool manager.
As I said earlier I like Brendan but this whole affair throws up a lot of questions not least Thiago Ilorri, I think that lad will be a Rolls Royce of a defender and if Brendan has sent him straight on loan to make a political point then that's a complete joke. Especially when our defence has been p1$$ing goals.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:25 pm

Whatever it is, what seems to be obvious is that there seems to be some sort of a power struggle or at least a misalignment happening between the transfer committee and BR which is just fecked up. There are too many cases of players being brought in and not used by BR. Whoever's the victim, this Sh*t has to stop.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:02 pm

Brendan Rodgers insists the spirit in the Liverpool FC camp remains “very strong” as he plays down suggestions of unrest in the squad.

The Reds boss admitted he needed to help his players rediscover their “team ethos” following Sunday’s 3-0 defeat at Old Trafford but was keen to stress that there is no split in the dressing room.

Rodgers has told his players they face a stern test tomorrow night when they face Championship leaders Bournemouth in the quarter-finals of the Capital One Cup but believes they have the strength of character to book a place in the last four.

“Our dressing room is very strong,” Rodgers said.

“We are very fortunate that we have a captain who is a strong leader in the dressing room.

“That’s been very important in my time here - that spirit.

“I hear one or two bits and pieces that have been said about unrest, it’s totally untrue.

“Of course we aren’t happy that we aren’t winning games. “These are competitive players, a lot of them nearly won the league last season.

“They are competitive and won’t be happy with losing but the actual spirit in the group is very strong.

“That’s one of the reasons why I believe that once when we get that confidence back through winning games and performing well then we will go into the second half of the season and be much better.”

Mario Balotelli, who is suffering with a groin problem, has come under-fire from ex-Liverpool midfielder Paul Ince.

Ince believes Rodgers needs to sell the controversial Italian for the good of their season.

But Rodgers said: “There are lots of opinions.

“Paul is someone I respect, he was a wonderful player and he has managed himself so he knows the pressures of it.

“He has given his opinion.

“Mario is here as a Liverpool player and as the coach and the manager I need to work to try to maximise what I can get out of the player.

“But that’s the same with every single player.

“While he’s here, that’s all I will ever concentrate on.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/brendan-rodgers-plays-down-suggestions-8296716?
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mart » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:54 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:59 am wrote:Whatever happened it seems James Pearce of the echo is now saying that Rodgers does not have the power of veto, Brendan obviously has a say but he does not have the final say.
And let's face it echo reporters from Pearce back to the likes of Barrett, Brian Reade and even Earnest 'Bee' Edwards in the early 1900's (who gave the Spion Kop it's name) have traditionally had the ear of the Liverpool manager.

I should have added the link to my previous post but the quote i added was from Pearce. http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/fo ... er-7185770

"“The principle idea when I first came in was that like any manager you will have the first call on a player and the last call.
“That’s the call on whether he’s good enough to continue to look at and try to organise a deal and the last call to say yes or no.
“We will never bring in a player here who the manager doesn’t want in. That’s a great credit to the owners and the other people at the club.

So in may he had final say on any players and praised the way they let him influence transfers and now he suddenly has no say at all in transfers?
I dont believe that Liverpool completely changed the way they handle transfers during this summer, but I do believe that Rodgers needed to share the blame around to take a bit of the heat away from him.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:50 pm

mart » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:54 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:59 am wrote:Whatever happened it seems James Pearce of the echo is now saying that Rodgers does not have the power of veto, Brendan obviously has a say but he does not have the final say.

I should have added the link to my previous post but the quote i added was from Pearce. http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/fo ... er-7185770

"“The principle idea when I first came in was that like any manager you will have the first call on a player and the last call.

So in may he had final say on any players and praised the way they let him influence transfers and now he suddenly has no say at all in transfers?
I dont believe that Liverpool completely changed the way they handle transfers during this summer, but I do believe that Rodgers needed to share the blame around to take a bit of the heat away from him.

Back in May he was probably just sticking to the party line as plenty of journo's like Tony Evans had been questioning the set up for a while, in fact if you remember Evans took quite a bit of stick from our fans half way through last season after he suggested that Sturridge wasn't a Rodgers signing, it's starting to look like he was right.
May was about the time when Brendan said he only wanted to bring in one or two top class players as well and look what happened there.
No one is saying Brendan hasn't made mistakes if that is what you are worried about but even his fiercest critics (like yourself) have got to concede that his job isn't as straightforward as it seems from the outside.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Homebooby » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:55 pm

I am trying not to add too much fuel to the ongoing discussion as it's pretty painful reading at the moment. The way that a lot of people are having a go at the club at the moment, it feels like the G&H days all over. I can't/refuse to believe things are as dire as they were then…..we need to pull together people.

A friend of mine who's a German said rather chillingly when referring to organization politics 'It's very easy to unite people under a common enemy', imagine that in a german accent and you'll find it more scary..

Scary, but insightful

Back in the G&H days, there was a common enemy and we were all united in the struggle against them. In this situation it simply isn't the case as is displayed by the huge number of scapegoats being called out all over this board.

Is it fair to pin all the responsibilities on the manager here just because he's paid handsomely for his job? Personally I don't think so. I think the structure is clearly not right and that needs to be addressed.

Should Rogers be blamed for perhaps leaking some things to the media to change the perception of his tenure which is what some seem to be implying? Isn't that something that Rafa was applauded for during the G&H era, especially at the end? Isn't that what defined Rafa as passionate about the club and fighting for his position? Arguably the same could be placed with Brendan as well.

I can't excuse his team choices, substitutions, tactics etc etc, that does lie with him, but he wouldn't be the first manager leaned on to play a certain way, or with certain people in certain positions and there's more than enough not going well to at least open the possibility that he's influenced for people on high. I might be clutching at straws here, but if we''re accusing the infra of having no clue about football, could that go some way to explaining some of the baffling things that have happened, especially this season. Perhaps Mignolet being dropped wasn't his call….perhaps it was related to an internal argument about needing to bring someone else in in Jan that currently isn't being supported and Brendan needs to show he literally doesn't have the cover that he needs. I still can't believe that Pepe was allowed to leave by the manager due to his own determination that he was too expensive. Anyone who's managed any form of team knows you'll keep as many quality resources until your challenged to reduce costs. Maybe he was given no option, told him had a long term backup and to use him….again we don't know, but it would make a lot more sense than saying he himself has lost it to me

I could make cases across the team in the same way that all of the individual threads that are live across the board make cases against the various people in question.

I supported Rafa to the end, making a lot of similar comments that I thought he was doing a lot in the background that we'd never see and that turned out to be true in many cases….many would have him back here now as well. I'd argue personally that the football under Brendan is way more in line with the Liverpool I fell in love with and it's the first time that I can say that in many many years. Rafa did well for us, but I hated the boring side to side, back to the keeper football, not least the score first and then sit back and defend for 80 mins under pressure approach that he had. We did lose against Man U, but we did show signs of life and some semblance of what we were last season as well when we were all in love with everyone. We have to credit Brendan with that as well. Placing it all to Suarez is cheap and easy, except when it's noted that he was an above standard player who left a gaping hole in the team. Were it not for Brendan, he wouldn't have been there to see us almost win our first premiership title since its' inception…so credit where credit is due.

As we can't align under one common enemy, we should in my opinion unite under the man in charge and show our support for him. That IS the Liverpool way and if we don't, we're on a fast path to a Newcastle conveyor belt. We have more stability than we think we have…don't misinterpret the situation.

Brendan loves the club, loves our history and honors the legends at the club….I don't believe that is just for show. There's no guarantee that we'll find that in anyone else. Some argue that it might well be the biggest job he'll ever get….that has any many pros to it as it does cons.

I'd like to see him given a clear 18 months with no shackles…choose the players, do what you think is right and run the club. Judge him then…not now.

Last thing, don't forget that we're about to lose our last link to the long line of tradition that's run through the team (Gerrard), we need someone who gets it to guide us over that cliff.
Homebooby

Postby C-R » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:10 pm

Just published on the sky sports website

Transfer news: Liverpool to undergo complete review of player recruitment strategy

Liverpool will undergo a complete review of their player recruitment strategy after struggling to implement a host of new signings this season.

The Merseyside club sit 11th in the Premier League and have been knocked out of the Champions League group stages, with two wins from their last 10 games in all competitions.

After Luis Suarez was sold to Barcelona for £75million, the Reds spent over £100m on eight new players last summer, including £16m on Mario Balotelli.

Sky Sports reporter Vinny O’Connor understands a meeting will be held between head of recruitment Dave Fallows, managing director Ian Ayre and manager Brendan Rodgers ahead of the January transfer window.

"There is talk today that Liverpool are going to have a full review their transfer procedure; how their committee decides on transfer targets and how they go about bringing them in," O’Connor said.

"Liverpool missed out on a big target in Alexis Sanchez last summer. His decision to go to Arsenal was a major hindrance in the club's transfer plans.

"They thought there was a deal to be done there, perhaps as part of the Suarez or separately, but it added to the list of recent failed signings along with Yevhen Konoplyanka, the Ukranian winger, and Mohamed Salah, who went to Chelsea."

Speaking ahead of his side’s Capital One Cup quarter-final against Bournemouth, boss Rodgers suggested he would welcome a meeting of this kind.

“Within, we are very analytical of performance and analyse how we’re doing for constant improvement,” he said.

“But my work is very much focused on the players that we do have, on trying to improve them individually and as a team. I think I’ve shown in my career as a coach and a manager that that’s what I get my teeth into.”
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:10 pm

Homebooby » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:55 pm wrote:I am trying not to add too much fuel to the ongoing discussion as it's pretty painful reading at the moment. The way that a lot of people are having a go at the club at the moment, it feels like the G&H days all over. I can't/refuse to believe things are as dire as they were then…..we need to pull together people.

A friend of mine who's a German said rather chillingly when referring to organization politics 'It's very easy to unite people under a common enemy', imagine that in a german accent and you'll find it more scary..

Scary, but insightful

Back in the G&H days, there was a common enemy and we were all united in the struggle against them. In this situation it simply isn't the case as is displayed by the huge number of scapegoats being called out all over this board.

Is it fair to pin all the responsibilities on the manager here just because he's paid handsomely for his job? Personally I don't think so. I think the structure is clearly not right and that needs to be addressed.

Should Rogers be blamed for perhaps leaking some things to the media to change the perception of his tenure which is what some seem to be implying? Isn't that something that Rafa was applauded for during the G&H era, especially at the end? Isn't that what defined Rafa as passionate about the club and fighting for his position? Arguably the same could be placed with Brendan as well.

I can't excuse his team choices, substitutions, tactics etc etc, that does lie with him, but he wouldn't be the first manager leaned on to play a certain way, or with certain people in certain positions and there's more than enough not going well to at least open the possibility that he's influenced for people on high. I might be clutching at straws here, but if we''re accusing the infra of having no clue about football, could that go some way to explaining some of the baffling things that have happened, especially this season. Perhaps Mignolet being dropped wasn't his call….perhaps it was related to an internal argument about needing to bring someone else in in Jan that currently isn't being supported and Brendan needs to show he literally doesn't have the cover that he needs. I still can't believe that Pepe was allowed to leave by the manager due to his own determination that he was too expensive. Anyone who's managed any form of team knows you'll keep as many quality resources until your challenged to reduce costs. Maybe he was given no option, told him had a long term backup and to use him….again we don't know, but it would make a lot more sense than saying he himself has lost it to me

I could make cases across the team in the same way that all of the individual threads that are live across the board make cases against the various people in question.

I supported Rafa to the end, making a lot of similar comments that I thought he was doing a lot in the background that we'd never see and that turned out to be true in many cases….many would have him back here now as well. I'd argue personally that the football under Brendan is way more in line with the Liverpool I fell in love with and it's the first time that I can say that in many many years. Rafa did well for us, but I hated the boring side to side, back to the keeper football, not least the score first and then sit back and defend for 80 mins under pressure approach that he had. We did lose against Man U, but we did show signs of life and some semblance of what we were last season as well when we were all in love with everyone. We have to credit Brendan with that as well. Placing it all to Suarez is cheap and easy, except when it's noted that he was an above standard player who left a gaping hole in the team. Were it not for Brendan, he wouldn't have been there to see us almost win our first premiership title since its' inception…so credit where credit is due.

As we can't align under one common enemy, we should in my opinion unite under the man in charge and show our support for him. That IS the Liverpool way and if we don't, we're on a fast path to a Newcastle conveyor belt. We have more stability than we think we have…don't misinterpret the situation.

Brendan loves the club, loves our history and honors the legends at the club….I don't believe that is just for show. There's no guarantee that we'll find that in anyone else. Some argue that it might well be the biggest job he'll ever get….that has any many pros to it as it does cons.

I'd like to see him given a clear 18 months with no shackles…choose the players, do what you think is right and run the club. Judge him then…not now.

Last thing, don't forget that we're about to lose our last link to the long line of tradition that's run through the team (Gerrard), we need someone who gets it to guide us over that cliff.

Some good points there. But you say to unite under the man in charge yet your post is filled with questions as to who that man is. For myself I don't generally look so deep as the politics behind the team. I look just at the signings, line-ups, tactics, press handling, man-managing, that sort of thing and I find it impossible at the moment to see any positives in BR's level of management on these points. But if he's not in charge of any of these things, what's he there for? Is FSG afraid to appoint a man who wants the standard control of the club he manages?
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:21 pm

cardiff-red » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:10 pm wrote:

“But my work is very much focused on the players that we do have, on trying to improve them individually and as a team. I think I’ve shown in my career as a coach and a manager that that’s what I get my teeth into.”

This is the biggest gripe I have with rodgers  :nod 
For starters his focus isn't on the players he has seen as he won't play half of them  :no  He hasn't even improved any of them either since they came in and especially not the ones he has had more than a year working with. If he did we wouldn't be in the mess we are now.
What he has shown in his time here is that he has failed to improve any of the youth he inherited, shown them the door and replaced them with more players and still got nothing from them.
He has shifted through some amount of players in his time here with very little or nothing to back up those claims he keeps on making.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby sniffy98 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:45 pm

He hasn't improved anyone or developed any of the youth? Is Sterling a mirage? Look I know he has made mistakes but stick to the facts. Flano was excellent before the injury. He has improved Hendo. Done wonders with Sturridge and of course he must get credit for the way Suarez became unplayable (some credit not all).

Win against Bournemouth and then L'***** and we're back in business. I actually expect us to win both. It looked like we got our mojo back against the Mancs so should be able to beat a team from a lower division and then a team who have been as bad as us this year, if not worse, and one we smashed in February.
sniffy98

Postby Boocity » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:01 pm

sniffy98 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:45 pm wrote:He hasn't improved anyone or developed any of the youth? Is Sterling a mirage? Look I know he has made mistakes but stick to the facts. Flano was excellent before the injury. He has improved Hendo. Done wonders with Sturridge and of course he must get credit for the way Suarez became unplayable (some credit not all).

Win against Bournemouth and then L'***** and we're back in business. I actually expect us to win both. It looked like we got our mojo back against the Mancs so should be able to beat a team from a lower division and then a team who have been as bad as us this year, if not worse, and one we smashed in February.

Of course we can we both but not if he persists in his suicidal team selection.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:21 pm

I cannot believe some on here are grasping at anything to deflect criticism from BR, comments like 'not the Liverpool way' is quite patronising and basically accusing those not rallying around a failing manager as not being true supporters. The only reason we tend to rally around the manager is that we have been generally blessed with excellent managers who have won us many trophy so over the past 50 years, however, when we have had a poor one such as Souness and Roy then 'the Liverpool way' goes out of the window and fans want them out, rightly so. BR is failing miserably this season and unless he stops with these comical team selections and shows he can get us back on track he should go. There is no excuse and no valid reason for a manager to put our club at risk by seemingly blacklisting certain players because he may not have had the final say on them.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:42 pm

Boocity » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:21 pm wrote:I cannot believe some on here are grasping at anything to deflect criticism from BR, comments like 'not the Liverpool way' is quite patronising and basically accusing those not rallying around a failing manager as not being true supporters. The only reason we tend to rally around the manager is that we have been generally blessed with excellent managers who have won us many trophy so over the past 50 years, however, when we have had a poor one such as Souness and Roy then 'the Liverpool way' goes out of the window and fans want them out, rightly so. BR is failing miserably this season and unless he stops with these comical team selections and shows he can get us back on track he should go. There is no excuse and no valid reason for a manager to put our club at risk by seemingly blacklisting certain players because he may not have had the final say on them.

Not sure where you get the idea from that Roy Evans was hounded out by the fans, Roy never finished outside of the top 4 and it was his decision and his alone to call time on his long association with the club. In typical Roy Evans fashion he put the interests of the club first and fell on his sword in order to give Gerard Houllier the best chance of succeeding.
Souness got plenty of time too and he wasn't even sacked when he sold his story to the S*n, and that was only 3 or 4 years after Hillsborough.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boocity » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:48 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:42 pm wrote:
Boocity » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:21 pm wrote:I cannot believe some on here are grasping at anything to deflect criticism from BR, comments like 'not the Liverpool way' is quite patronising and basically accusing those not rallying around a failing manager as not being true supporters. The only reason we tend to rally around the manager is that we have been generally blessed with excellent managers who have won us many trophy so over the past 50 years, however, when we have had a poor one such as Souness and Roy then 'the Liverpool way' goes out of the window and fans want them out, rightly so. BR is failing miserably this season and unless he stops with these comical team selections and shows he can get us back on track he should go. There is no excuse and no valid reason for a manager to put our club at risk by seemingly blacklisting certain players because he may not have had the final say on them.

Not sure where you get the idea from that Roy Evans was hounded out by the fans, Roy never finished outside of the top 4 and it was his decision and his alone to call time on his long association with the club. In typical Roy Evans fashion he put the interests of the club first and fell on his sword in order to give Gerard Houllier the best chance of succeeding.
Souness got plenty of time too and he wasn't even sacked when he sold his story to the S*n, and that was only 3 or 4 years after Hillsborough.

Roy Hodgson and yes Souness got plenty of time, too much and what a mistake that was
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion