Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby allred79 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:22 am

Rodgers has made some mistakes early in the season but he appears to be learning from them now and he has us playing good football again.
He is a young manager and will make mistakes but I think he has too much upside to be written off.
Be careful what you wish for because I remember when a lot of people were calling for benitezs head we ended up with Roy Hodgson.
allred79
LFC Basic Member

Postby C-R » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:22 am

Some comments from his press conference this morning - january signings not looking promising :(

Rodgers: "It's been another year of progress. Over course of 2014 we've made significant strides forward."

Rodgers: "If you look at points total over course of 2014 only two clubs sit above us."

Rodgers on Sturridge: "He will be back here to finalise rehab in early Jan. He should be back playing mid to late Jan."

Rodgers: "There won't be much if any transfer activity from us during the January transfer window."

Rodgers: "The goal that pleased me most the other night was the second goal. That's us at our best - pressing as a unit."

Rodgers: "We put a lot of thought, a lot of time into this formation. Worked daily on it on training field. They all feel comfortable in it"

Rodgers: "I don't think January is a good time to spend. I'm happy with how the group is progressing after tough start to the season."
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:04 pm

I would have liked to have seen a keeper arrive but apart from that I can't say I'm that bothered about bringing anyone in. We have found a formation that suits this group of players and Brendan is already having to make some tough choices in certain positions.
Does he play Markovic or Moreno? Does he play Gerrard or Hendo next to Lucas? Does he play Hendo or Manquillo out wide? What happens when Sturridge returns? Who's the one that misses out?
Toure played a major role in steadying the ship a few weeks ago but because of the form of Can and Sakho he can't get into the team either.
Unless we are prepared to spend big money on a marquee name I don't see the point in bringing anyone in, whats the use in buying more players just to pad out the squad when we already have players who have done well recently who can't get into the side?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boocity » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:04 pm

The problem is who is to say we can guarantee DS will stay fit for the rest of the season, if he gets injured again we will be in trouble without a decent back up striker, if we don't invest in a decent striker I would like to see him try some of the  academy players rather than buying cheap prospects.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:10 pm

If I were playing footy manager, I'd sell Borini and Balotelli and sign one decent striker as back up for Sturridge. One that will suit our system of course.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:48 pm

Boocity » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:04 pm wrote:The problem is who is to say we can guarantee DS will stay fit for the rest of the season, if he gets injured again we will be in trouble without a decent back up striker, if we don't invest in a decent striker I would like to see him try some of the  academy players rather than buying cheap prospects.

We've scored 10 goals in our last 4 games with Sterling up front, if Sturridge picks up another injury Raheem will lead the line again. I just can't see the club spending big money on a striker in January when A) Sturridge is on the verge of returning and B) Origi is set to arrive in a few months.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:35 pm

LFC will not buy another striker in January. The Club have 7 on the books at a cost of approx £65m, these are    Sturridge, Balotelli, Aspas, Yesil,  Lambert, Borini,  and Origi arriving next Summer. Imo, I don't see any of them making way for yet a new Striker. Besides,  Sterling and Markovic cam play centrally if needed to.  LFC do want to let Balotelli leave, but they are asking to much for him.

Also, one must ask, if FSG are going ahead with replacing the Coach (which they will now in the Summer most likely) unless of course, results go even more haywire, why on earth would they give BR any more money to waste away.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby C-R » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:21 pm

Don't see a managerial change before the summer (sadly), but this current manager has no depth to his skills, he is simply not fit for purpose
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:36 pm

The disappointing thing for me is that I could see at the start of the second half we were going to be in trouble. Sure enough their two goals were sucker punches in the space of two minutes. The team that played on Monday should have started today and we have to accept that Gerrard cannot demand a place automatically. Interesting as well to see how we fell to bits when Lallana came off with Borini doing his usual headless chicken routine.
The manager needs to look at his selections and pick the team on merit, rather than on reputation.
Thommo's perm

Postby The_Rock » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:10 pm

His inability to manage Gerrard will be Rodger's downfall. We don't have gerrard in midfield...and the team performs well (even on occasions we don't win). Then Rodgers goes and puts Gerrard back in midfield and the whole dynamics of the team changes.

I have mentioned this numerous times. If Rodgers had spent half his time trying to play to balotelli's or lambert's strength instead trying to shoe-horn Gerrard into team, we would be in top 4 now (as the quality of the league this season is horrendous to say the least).  I just can't see us going on a winning run when he keeps affecting the dynamics of the team. Yes, he is right to bring in fresh players for today's match....but For F**Ks SAKE play the right players in right position.

Putting Hendo on the right is basically gonna kill his career. And Gerrard in midfield..... I don't have to go in detail with this. I am sure other posters in this forum has articulated why Gerrard should never start in our central midfield.

Manure dropped points. Arsenal were down a goal at half time. We should have ensured that we have gotten the 3 points....but like always Rodgers was not proactive enough to see the gaps in midfield with lucas and gerrard midfield.

Now lets see what new formation Rodgers comes up with and prophesies to the whole world in the coming weeks.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:21 pm

I apologise in advance for submitting Rodgers post match interview ,any one of a fragile nature ,or possibly if you have had to pay to watch that dross earlier today
should refrain from clicking on the below link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30650835
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:33 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Jan 1st, '15, 19:21 wrote:I apologise in advance for submitting Rodgers post match interview ,any one of a fragile nature ,or possibly if you have had to pay to watch that dross earlier today

He knows he's going so couldn't care less   :no  :no  :no . I just couldn't listen to the whole thing post match interview.  FSG will replace him in the summer, they are speaking to various people and will take their time in making sure the right man is found (unlike last time i.e. BR being appointed), DOF and Head Coach.
Last edited by Kash_Mountain on Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby Boocity » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:34 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:21 pm wrote:I apologise in advance for submitting Rodgers post match interview ,any one of a fragile nature ,or possibly if you have had to pay to watch that dross earlier today

Thanks, I feel even worse after watching that, if he had played virtually the same team and we played like that I could understand his reasons for our poor performance but he changed the team and still tried to blame the performance on playing only 3 days ago. However, I will say that it was a shocking decision by the PL to have a team playing on a Monday and Thursday, the Monday game should have been pulled back to Sunday.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:40 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:21 am wrote:I apologise in advance for submitting Rodgers post match interview ,any one of a fragile nature ,or possibly if you have had to pay to watch that dross earlier today

Listening to this clown..... we can be sure of 1 thing. We can never do well in the league & Europe with this Rodgers in charge of us. That's what he is basically implying in his press conference (played on Monday...so the performance today wasn't good).

If FSG wanted him to groom potential young players....then they should have hired him as a u-21 coach or the head of recruitment.
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:43 pm

Kash_Mountain » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:33 am wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Jan 1st, '15, 19:21 wrote:I apologise in advance for submitting Rodgers post match interview ,any one of a fragile nature ,or possibly if you have had to pay to watch that dross earlier today

He knows he's going so couldn't care less   :no  :no  :no . I just couldn't listen to the whole thing post match interview.  FSG will replace him in the summer, they are speaking to various people and will take their time in making sure the right man is found (unlike last time i.e. BR being appointed), DOF and Head Coach.

You sure about this ? Don't get me wrong, I hope you are right. Its just that FSG basically wants a "yes-man" who is good in coaching youth players and is pretty articulate in dealing with the press.

I just hope to god...we get rid of this clown.
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion