Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:48 pm

number 8 ynwa » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:07 pm wrote:I don't think the job is too big for Rodgers.  I think we all have to remember Liverpool isnt set up like it was in the past when we had si much success. 

I often read that we should just go out and buy this world class player or that world class player, but we are not the attractive option we once were.  With the new owners we can afford to buy these players but with the strict wage policy in place a lot of these "worldies" just wont come to us.  Look at Diego Costa last year - he came and spoke to Liverpool but did not accept what we offered him.  The board want to pay low basic wages with large win bonuses.  But the top players just want the big money.

I dont blame FSG for this by the way.  We need to make sure that we do not run the club into massive debt.  Since they have come in they have got rid of the debt, spent money on players (maybe not the right ones) and also started the work on making our ground bigger (to generate more money).  They are doing things in the right way. 

All of the above mean that Brendan Rodgers does have his hands tied behind his back somewhat.

In the past 2 seasons we have lost Luis Suarez (3rd best player in the world?) and Steven Gerrard. You cant just go out and buy players of this calibre.  But what we have bought is a lot of players that in the next season have grown and got better.  We still need 2 or 3 players with experience, for me, a central defender, a central midfielder and an attacker. and at today's prices that is at least £90 million. That would turn our first team into something a bit special.  We have good players throughout the first 11.

We also lost Daniel Sturridge for the whole season. A player who when fit is one of the best in Europe.  Its no wonder we lost 50 goals in last seasons campaign.  I truly believe if we had had Daniel fit and playing we would have got into the top 3. 

I don't care who is in charge, the changes in the squad over the past 2 seasons meant we were always going to be up against it last season.  I am disappointed with 6 but I can see the reasons why that happened and I cant blame Rodgers 100%.  After Suarez left he tried to buy the right type of players but if they dont want to come they dont have too.  There is bigger money elsewhere in all the leagues all over Europe and as much as it hurts to write this, we are just not that much of an attractive proposition anymore to a young footballer who wasnt born when Liverpool were dominating league and cup competitions.

Rodgers has us playing the right way, when it goes right we are excellent, but when it goes wrong its a mess.  But its pointless starting again with another manager.  Rodgers is learning, the players are learning, lets give them a chance and our support.

YNWA - that means everyone!

This pretty much sums up the situation in a nutshell, good post.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedAnt » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:05 pm

Thommo's perm » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:43 pm wrote:
RedAnt wrote:
Thommo's perm » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:03 pm wrote:I agree. Can the whingers have at least the summer off so we can have a bit of peace until the new campaign?
Please?
:love:

It's funny because some posters only post to whinge at the Whinge Committee, and they call for a stop to it, not realising that without the Whinge Committee, they'd have nothing to whinge about either :laugh

Are you whinging about me whinging about you whinging?
:upside:

Yes! But I'm on the whinge committee and you ain't
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:26 pm

So who so I complain to about that??!!
Thommo's perm

Postby RedAnt » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:48 pm

Well I think you qualify, Thommo. Or maybe found a whinge committee to whinge about the whinge committee. Committee's rool! I wonder what wonders Rodgers and the transfer committee will whip up for us. It doesn't seem we've found many good players under Rodgers and whatever transfer policies we've had. This next window, if rumours be true, doesn't look promising either. We either have an awful transfer system, or are really good at making players not very good.
RedAnt

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:23 pm

RedAnt » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:48 pm wrote:Well I think you qualify, Thommo. Or maybe found a whinge committee to whinge about the whinge committee. Committee's rool! I wonder what wonders Rodgers and the transfer committee will whip up for us. It doesn't seem we've found many good players under Rodgers and whatever transfer policies we've had. This next window, if rumours be true, doesn't look promising either. We either have an awful transfer system, or are really good at making players not very good.

Seriously mate, have a rest...
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby taff » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:33 am

Well he's here for another season so debate over till were a few games in and I hope it goes great for him.  I hope he hasnt stayed against his principles and that he thinks we can have a good season.

Good luck Brendan here's to a great season

Ynwa
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:01 am

He sounded like he'd realized the season was a disaster and he was quite willing to leave should the club ask him to. They've had a meeting and he's got the chance to stay so he's taking it. He sounds like he was putting the club first to me.

Hope it all works out.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby andy c legs » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:31 pm

I think he just about deserves another crack at the whip.

To me it all depends on whether he or the transfer com. sign the right players this summer. If they don't and we start the season as badly as we ended this one then it will have been a mistake to have kept Rodgers on. I don't think we will see the likes of the stuff he had us playing in 13/14 again because Luis was in that side. He should have us playing more like when we went on that un-beaten run this season - at least fairly solidly and backed-up up front with a 20-25 goal man. If we can do that then WE will be heading in the right direction.
[b]I am and always will be in love with them...
andy c legs
LFC Basic Member

Postby C-R » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:33 am

Mike Marsh has been made the scape goat and sacked from the managment team
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:46 am

Why are you expecting things to change? We continue under the same regime making the same mistakes?  :laugh:

Rodgers stays in his role, none of the committee members have been fired and the owners remain at the helm.

We already know what type of players they will bring in........MORE DROSS

Milner is done.
Ings will arrive shortly.
Other than that we might get Benteke, if FSG allow the stupid money for his purchase.

When Sterling leaves we will spunk the 40m on another 2 or 3 kids and you will have the same idiotic lemmings spouting the same "but there is potential there" rubbish......

Rodgers will be fired either during (or at then end of next season) while I can't see Coutinho staying beyond 2016.

I haven't been supporting this club as most of you here, but in the 20 years that I have this is the f**king bleakest it has ever looked.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby eds » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:51 am

C-R » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:33 am wrote:Mike Marsh has been made the scape goat and sacked from the managment team

Oh wow MASSIVE structural changes.

We aren't renewing this guy's contract.   :laugh:
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Boocity » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:27 am

eds » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:51 am wrote:
C-R » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:33 am wrote:Mike Marsh has been made the scape goat and sacked from the managment team

Oh wow MASSIVE structural changes.

We aren't renewing this guy's contract.   :laugh:

Pascoe needs to go as he is an utterly useless no 2
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:59 am

eds » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:46 am wrote:Why are you expecting things to change? We continue under the same regime making the same mistakes?  :laugh:

Rodgers stays in his role, none of the committee members have been fired and the owners remain at the helm.

We already know what type of players they will bring in........MORE DROSS

Milner is done.
Ings will arrive shortly.
Other than that we might get Benteke, if FSG allow the stupid money for his purchase.

When Sterling leaves we will spunk the 40m on another 2 or 3 kids and you will have the same idiotic lemmings spouting the same "but there is potential there" rubbish......

Rodgers will be fired either during (or at then end of next season) while I can't see Coutinho staying beyond 2016.

I haven't been supporting this club as most of you here, but in the 20 years that I have this is the f**king bleakest it has ever looked.

Totally agree. I've never been so disheartened about the teams future. We shop at Sunderland, Burnley, Villa, Southampton, buying players the top teams don't want. It fits the theme. Look at Brendan's cv. Brentford!! And some of our fans are happy with this. We saw the effects of such an approach last season. This season we won't have Gerrard, and likely not Sterling. We're done for.
RedAnt

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:36 am

Can't see getting rid of the assistant coach making much difference. Probably moved him out to make room for a bigger name to try and placate the fans, doubt Carragher would leave Sky so it will be someone like Fowler probably.
As you say sacking the number 3 is a way of being seen to be doing something without actually doing anything, scapegoat is the right word.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby C-R » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:41 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:36 am wrote:

Can't see getting rid of the assistant coach making much difference. Probably moved him out to make room for a bigger name to try and placate the fans, doubt Carragher would leave Sky so it will be someone like Fowler probably.
As you say sacking the number 3 is a way of being seen to be doing something without actually doing anything, scapegoat is the right word.

Apparently it wasn't a sacking as such, just decided not to renew his contract.  Same thing imo, but yes defo been made the scapegoat

There has been talk on social media that Pascoe and Achterberg (GK coach) will also get the chop, but nothing to back this up atm
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion