Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby leeroy74 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:17 am

If we'd finished 6th for each of his 3 seasons in charge I think he'd of gone this week. However, that 2nd place season has probably gone towards him keeping his job. He was so close to winning that league title, he'd of gone down in Liverpool history had we won it. Kind of excited now though, interested to see what the new system is that they've agreed on. I'm assuming they'll bin off the committee and get him a DOF?
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:26 am

I read that FSG are still insisting he work with the committee. But then I read a lot of things.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:40 am

One thing I admire about Rodgers is that he at least tries to play the right way, obviously it doesn't always come off as our run in last season showed but you at least know that if his plan's all come to fruition then we'd end up with a side that plays great footy.
The likes of Houllier, Hodgson and even Rafa at times were more than happy to get everyone behind the ball, it's not that long ago that you could visibly see Torres and Gerrard walking around with a cob on because they were isolated up the pitch and getting no support, we literally had a 2 man attack.
Yes Brendan has his faults but at least he tries to have a go.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby leeroy74 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:54 pm

I wasn't at that meeting yesterday but I can guess BR has had a shake up and he knows he's come so close to looking for another job. He now needs to return to the 2013/2014 form and to do that he needs to buy a new Suarez.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:59 pm

Lets take bets who will last longer, Rodgers at LFC or Benitez at Madrid
killerp

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:06 pm

killerp » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:59 am wrote:Lets take bets who will last longer, Rodgers at LFC or Benitez at Madrid

:laugh:

Funny, BUT whatever the outcome it would probably say more about the people who run the respective clubs rather than the actual performance of Rafa or Rodgers.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby number 8 ynwa » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:07 pm

I don't think the job is too big for Rodgers.  I think we all have to remember Liverpool isnt set up like it was in the past when we had si much success. 

I often read that we should just go out and buy this world class player or that world class player, but we are not the attractive option we once were.  With the new owners we can afford to buy these players but with the strict wage policy in place a lot of these "worldies" just wont come to us.  Look at Diego Costa last year - he came and spoke to Liverpool but did not accept what we offered him.  The board want to pay low basic wages with large win bonuses.  But the top players just want the big money.

I dont blame FSG for this by the way.  We need to make sure that we do not run the club into massive debt.  Since they have come in they have got rid of the debt, spent money on players (maybe not the right ones) and also started the work on making our ground bigger (to generate more money).  They are doing things in the right way. 

All of the above mean that Brendan Rodgers does have his hands tied behind his back somewhat.

In the past 2 seasons we have lost Luis Suarez (3rd best player in the world?) and Steven Gerrard. You cant just go out and buy players of this calibre.  But what we have bought is a lot of players that in the next season have grown and got better.  We still need 2 or 3 players with experience, for me, a central defender, a central midfielder and an attacker. and at today's prices that is at least £90 million. That would turn our first team into something a bit special.  We have good players throughout the first 11.

We also lost Daniel Sturridge for the whole season. A player who when fit is one of the best in Europe.  Its no wonder we lost 50 goals in last seasons campaign.  I truly believe if we had had Daniel fit and playing we would have got into the top 3. 

I don't care who is in charge, the changes in the squad over the past 2 seasons meant we were always going to be up against it last season.  I am disappointed with 6 but I can see the reasons why that happened and I cant blame Rodgers 100%.  After Suarez left he tried to buy the right type of players but if they dont want to come they dont have too.  There is bigger money elsewhere in all the leagues all over Europe and as much as it hurts to write this, we are just not that much of an attractive proposition anymore to a young footballer who wasnt born when Liverpool were dominating league and cup competitions.

Rodgers has us playing the right way, when it goes right we are excellent, but when it goes wrong its a mess.  But its pointless starting again with another manager.  Rodgers is learning, the players are learning, lets give them a chance and our support.

YNWA - that means everyone!
number 8 ynwa
LFC Basic Member

Postby maguskwt » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:13 pm

So it's been confirmed that BR's gonna keep his job for now. It's about time then to get behind the manager and the team until at least this December and stop the incessant criticising, bitching and moaning. Who knows a new season may bring new fortunes to the team. I was very sceptical after BR's first season, even though he had a good second half of the season. But was presently surprised about the way we played in the 2nd season. So maybe this 4th season could bring some pleasant surprises as well. So now who we gonna sign besides Milner???
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:03 pm

I agree. Can the whingers have at least the summer off so we can have a bit of peace until the new campaign?
Please?
:love:
Thommo's perm

Postby Kash_Mountain » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:53 pm

Kopite-Jud » Jun 3rd, '15, 08:31 wrote:I am in total disbelief that the owners are going to carry on exactly the same as last season.

With the transfer committe and that mug of a manager, I am not looking forward to next season.  I'm normally buzzing for who we're going to sign but i'm not one bit excited.

Imagine if United had kept Moyes ? they addressed that issue and put a stop to it straight away.  Why can't our owners see whats going on here ?

It's only a matter of time before another big club comes in and takes Coutinho off our hands.

I think we had a better squad with Biscan, Traore, Baros and the boys.  (Champions League)

But then again we had a class manager with a record to boot....

Im P!$$ed

VERY VERY P!$$ed

A very sad day for the club. I  a lot fans that 'were' season ticket holders, they've ripped them up. The Owners have actually shown how naive they are and bottled it big time, they are cowards, they have no vision. They've taken a safe passage with this decision instead of making the necessary change, this is massive mistake that will come back to bite them big time. They know he is a failure, yet reward that failure. Now, they know that if it doesn't work, their options to replace him mid season will be severely limited, and the season will be a total waste, again. They have been blind to see that there are much better managers out there (even West Ham interviewed Unai Emery ffs). BR will not last long, because he does not learn, and there is absolutely nothing to admire about him.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby RedAnt » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:02 pm

Thommo's perm » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:03 pm wrote:I agree. Can the whingers have at least the summer off so we can have a bit of peace until the new campaign?
Please?

It's funny because some posters only post to whinge at the Whinge Committee, and they call for a stop to it, not realising that without the Whinge Committee, they'd have nothing to whinge about either :laugh
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Boocity » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:05 pm

maguskwt » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:13 pm wrote:So it's been confirmed that BR's gonna keep his job for now. It's about time then to get behind the manager and the team until at least this December and stop the incessant criticising, bitching and moaning. Who knows a new season may bring new fortunes to the team. I was very sceptical after BR's first season, even though he had a good second half of the season. But was presently surprised about the way we played in the 2nd season. So maybe this 4th season could bring some pleasant surprises as well. So now who we gonna sign besides Milner???

Poo, if we have a bad start to the season I won't be giving him until December
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:59 pm

number 8 ynwa » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:07 pm wrote:I don't think the job is too big for Rodgers.  I think we all have to remember Liverpool isnt set up like it was in the past when we had si much success. 

I often read that we should just go out and buy this world class player or that world class player, but we are not the attractive option we once were.  With the new owners we can afford to buy these players but with the strict wage policy in place a lot of these "worldies" just wont come to us.  Look at Diego Costa last year - he came and spoke to Liverpool but did not accept what we offered him.  The board want to pay low basic wages with large win bonuses.  But the top players just want the big money.

I dont blame FSG for this by the way.  We need to make sure that we do not run the club into massive debt.  Since they have come in they have got rid of the debt, spent money on players (maybe not the right ones) and also started the work on making our ground bigger (to generate more money).  They are doing things in the right way. 

All of the above mean that Brendan Rodgers does have his hands tied behind his back somewhat.

In the past 2 seasons we have lost Luis Suarez (3rd best player in the world?) and Steven Gerrard. You cant just go out and buy players of this calibre.  But what we have bought is a lot of players that in the next season have grown and got better.  We still need 2 or 3 players with experience, for me, a central defender, a central midfielder and an attacker. and at today's prices that is at least £90 million. That would turn our first team into something a bit special.  We have good players throughout the first 11.

We also lost Daniel Sturridge for the whole season. A player who when fit is one of the best in Europe.  Its no wonder we lost 50 goals in last seasons campaign.  I truly believe if we had had Daniel fit and playing we would have got into the top 3. 

I don't care who is in charge, the changes in the squad over the past 2 seasons meant we were always going to be up against it last season.  I am disappointed with 6 but I can see the reasons why that happened and I cant blame Rodgers 100%.  After Suarez left he tried to buy the right type of players but if they dont want to come they dont have too.  There is bigger money elsewhere in all the leagues all over Europe and as much as it hurts to write this, we are just not that much of an attractive proposition anymore to a young footballer who wasnt born when Liverpool were dominating league and cup competitions.

Rodgers has us playing the right way, when it goes right we are excellent, but when it goes wrong its a mess.  But its pointless starting again with another manager.  Rodgers is learning, the players are learning, lets give them a chance and our support.

YNWA - that means everyone!

Good post
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Soupyzrx » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:34 pm

Kash_Mountain » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:53 pm wrote: BR will not last long, because he does not learn, and there is absolutely nothing to admire about him.

Oh come on now, be fair.....  He does have very shiney teeth.
Soupyzrx
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:43 pm

RedAnt wrote:
Thommo's perm » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:03 pm wrote:I agree. Can the whingers have at least the summer off so we can have a bit of peace until the new campaign?
Please?

It's funny because some posters only post to whinge at the Whinge Committee, and they call for a stop to it, not realising that without the Whinge Committee, they'd have nothing to whinge about either :laugh

Are you whinging about me whinging about you whinging?
:upside:
Thommo's perm

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion