Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Mon May 11, 2015 10:53 am

I like eds points, and how can you argue with anything he's said?

I like BR as a person and I also think he's a very good manager. But his signings have been dross for whatever reason, and I think he'll buy the the exact same calibre of players in the summer (Milner, Ings). If he buys average players, then obviously we're gonna become a average team. What us fans want is to change the cycle. And what
That Means is if we lose a world class player (Gerrard Suarez) then replace them with world class players (Pjanic Cavani) not (Ballotelli Milner).

Someone mentioned after losing out to Depay that they thought BR couldn't attract good players, and unfortunately I think they're right. If we had the 2007 side and BR was manger I think we'd win the league, no offence to Rafa but I thought Rafa was too negative and chopped the side too much against lower sides which ended up costing us the title.

I can't stand to see another year like this when we were so close to bridging the gap between the top 4.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kopite-Jud » Mon May 11, 2015 11:08 am

I'm livid to be quite honest....

Takes Gerrard off to give him a standing ovation at Stamford Bridge.. Which he (Gerrard) and any of us quite frankly don't give a flying F*ck about.  I can bet you all my money that Gerrard wasn't happy with that. He would rather be on helping to get us 3 points.   

He sent Sterling on holiday in December, because he was tired for 2 weeks.  He freezes players out and refuses to drop the outstanding old guard like Glen Johnson who's leaving at the end of the season.  Where are 80% of the players he's signed ? 

Ill tell you where they are

They're sat at home scratching their heads.  What would you be thinking if you were a player frozen out  ?

Lets not forget he was freezing Lucas out at the start of the season and stumbled across how important he is because of a few injuries.

Shoddy tactics, player selection, player motivation, match press conferences and the £215,000,000 he's blown are enough for me. ( We don't have 1 world class player for the 1st time in my lifetime).

Next season is going to be more of the same (or worse).

Give him another 100 million then watch him roll out with the "it takes time for players to settle" line. Its the same thing every week/month/year and he's been saying it since he was the manager of Reading in 2008 (watch ones of his last interviews.... You'd think it was one of our interviews)  its a carbon copy of the same cr@p he chats.

And if you think this is a "blip" then theres something wrong with you.

He's a mid table yes man
Kopite-Jud

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 11, 2015 11:33 am

eds » Mon May 11, 2015 6:06 am wrote:I think the main reason why so many fans have turned on Rodgers, is because of the resounding belief that he simply can't take us forward.

There is an extremely long list of valid reasons why he has failed and should be shown the door, to a name a few:

* His management style of isolating players, choosing favourites and continually relying on formations that haven't worked
* His abysmal transfer failings over the last 3 years
* His naivety when it has come to forward planning
* His abject failure in the CL group stage
* His inability in motivating our players to beating opponents in key games
* His tedious and often predictably stupid interviews

And yet I am still waiting to hear a valid reason from the apologists on why he should stay.

To stop instability at the club?
Because of last season?
Because he is young and will make mistakes?
Because there aren't any "better" managers out there?
None of them carry any water.

And yet there is this arrogance from this group of blind supporters that they somehow know better even though they can't articulate why Rodgers should stay.
They mock other fans on "righting-off" next season before it has started, probably the same fans that knew this season was going to be a struggle BEFORE it started with the army of dross coming through our doors and losing Suarez.
They have subscribed to this "myth" that if we keep changing managers we won't be successful. Funny how City and Chelsea have chopped and changed managers yet still been able to win trophies. Oh but we don't want to be like "them"  :laugh: Ok, who do we want to be like? Arsenal? Who have had the same manager for the last ten years and won f**k all in that time?
And lastly, but surely the worst they think they are the sole custodians of patience and virtue when they neglect the tiny fact that WE ALL haven't seen a domestic title arrive in the last quarter of a century. Something which makes us truly unique in the world of football, as one of the world's MOST patient fans.

It's almost like they haven't moved on from the first stage of grief........denial.  :no

Good post mate.

1. Every manager has their favourites and they often treat some players better than others. Kuyt was undroppable no matter how poorly he played yet on the other hand you had the likes of Benayoun making comments about Rafa trying to break him mentally or something nuts like that.
2. His record in the transfer market hasn't been good but there's more than enough evidence from solid sources (the Echo etc) to suggest that he isn't in full control of who comes in or out. We know the owners have a plan on that score.
3. Not sure what you mean about forward planning, our starting XI has one of the youngest average ages in the entire division but given his recent comments about successful sides having an average age around 30 maybe your right.
4. Yes, we did fail in the CL. He's got to take that on the chin, constantly picking Gerrard at DM and Lovren at the heart of our defence against top sides was incredibly naive.
5. Maybe there are better managers out there but let's face it whoever comes in will end up in the same boat as Rodgers. Our fans attitude is give us miracles or GTFO. Since the turn of the last century we have -

Appeared in 2 CL finals winning 1
Appeared in 1 UEFA cup final winning 1
Appeared in 2 European super cup finals winning 2
Appeared in 3 F.A cup finals winning 2
Appeared in 4 League cup finals winning 3
We have also finished second in the league 3 times and third 3 times.

Most clubs would be proud of that record over their entire 100+ year history but they are 15 'barron' years as far as our fan base is concerned. Our fans have bitched and moaned their way through all of those successes.
Rodgers is doing a decent job, 2nd and 5th isn't bad going, especially when there are 4 clubs in the division with more wealth and resources.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Mon May 11, 2015 1:18 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 11, 2015 10:33 am wrote:
eds » Mon May 11, 2015 6:06 am wrote:I think the main reason why so many fans have turned on Rodgers, is because of the resounding belief that he simply can't take us forward.

There is an extremely long list of valid reasons why he has failed and should be shown the door, to a name a few:

* His management style of isolating players, choosing favourites and continually relying on formations that haven't worked
* His abysmal transfer failings over the last 3 years
* His naivety when it has come to forward planning
* His abject failure in the CL group stage
* His inability in motivating our players to beating opponents in key games
* His tedious and often predictably stupid interviews

And yet I am still waiting to hear a valid reason from the apologists on why he should stay.

To stop instability at the club?
Because of last season?
Because he is young and will make mistakes?
Because there aren't any "better" managers out there?
None of them carry any water.

And yet there is this arrogance from this group of blind supporters that they somehow know better even though they can't articulate why Rodgers should stay.
They mock other fans on "righting-off" next season before it has started, probably the same fans that knew this season was going to be a struggle BEFORE it started with the army of dross coming through our doors and losing Suarez.
They have subscribed to this "myth" that if we keep changing managers we won't be successful. Funny how City and Chelsea have chopped and changed managers yet still been able to win trophies. Oh but we don't want to be like "them"  :laugh: Ok, who do we want to be like? Arsenal? Who have had the same manager for the last ten years and won f**k all in that time?
And lastly, but surely the worst they think they are the sole custodians of patience and virtue when they neglect the tiny fact that WE ALL haven't seen a domestic title arrive in the last quarter of a century. Something which makes us truly unique in the world of football, as one of the world's MOST patient fans.

It's almost like they haven't moved on from the first stage of grief........denial.  :no

Good post mate.

1. Every manager has their favourites and they often treat some players better than others. Kuyt was undroppable no matter how poorly he played yet on the other hand you had the likes of Benayoun making comments about Rafa trying to break him mentally or something nuts like that.
2. His record in the transfer market hasn't been good but there's more than enough evidence from solid sources (the Echo etc) to suggest that he isn't in full control of who comes in or out. We know the owners have a plan on that score.
3. Not sure what you mean about forward planning, our starting XI has one of the youngest average ages in the entire division but given his recent comments about successful sides having an average age around 30 maybe your right.
4. Yes, we did fail in the CL. He's got to take that on the chin, constantly picking Gerrard at DM and Lovren at the heart of our defence against top sides was incredibly naive.
5. Maybe there are better managers out there but let's face it whoever comes in will end up in the same boat as Rodgers. Our fans attitude is give us miracles or GTFO. Since the turn of the last century we have -

Most clubs would be proud of that record over their entire 100+ year history but they are 15 'barron' years as far as our fan base is concerned. Our fans have bitched and moaned their way through all of those successes.
Rodgers is doing a decent job, 2nd and 5th isn't bad going, especially when there are 4 clubs in the division with more wealth and resources.

Yakka answer me one simple question - why didn't he sign ONE quality striker this year? It's as if we were to play the whole season with Brad Jones at goal ,would you have accepted it?

In light of :
A. Suarez Leaving - not a surprise move
B. Daniel injury record - again not a surprise.
C. His effort to dislodge Borini.
D. Signing Lambert - designated from the first place to play as backup.
E. Tons of money at his disposal

Considering the above does it even begin to make sense that we started this pivotal year in LFC history and ended the year with not ONE striker?
Wouldn't that be considered criminal behavior by our manager? a team playing with NO strikers ,while aiming to fight for the EPL title and succeed in the CL !! has their been a bigger gamble this decade with a team chances to succeed?

Just this one simple point warrants his exit due to a gross misunderstanding/misjudgments of the team/players. He can't be trusted. He can't explain this decision other then "i hoped Daniel would stay healthy and i thought i could squeeze Mario to not being Mario" This is garbage and BS ,it's wishful thinking and gambling ,you don't do that with a 100+m budget ,you don't do that to your fans to the owners to the rest of the players. This is LFC not Vegas city.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Mon May 11, 2015 1:55 pm

To answer only me, and I'm not trying to be an "apologist" here...

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a poll when we bought Balotelli, that 80-90% thinks that it was a good purchase. I myself was super excited about Balotelli. He has always been considered one of the young premier talents in europe. When he was at Inter, I wanted so much that he was playing for us. I definitely thought it was a better transfer than Loic Remy. And on this forum, I can't remember anyone voicing out a major objection with regards to Balotelli.

And we also bought Lambert who scored consistently 13-15 league goals for Southampton in the premier league, as a back-up.

Knowing our system/ Rodgers system usually deploys only one out and out striker, remember last season when Suarez and Sturridge was playing, Sturridge always had to play as a wide forward?, I didn't mind that we had Sturridge, Balotelli and Lambert as strikers. We also had sterling to play as a wide forward.

Balotelli was a major disappointment in the end. That's not to say that Rodgers is absolved of all responsibility for the failure of Balotelli but that these kind of mistakes happen to all managers, even great managers like Ferguson, Veron?, and Mourinho, Shevchenko?
Last edited by maguskwt on Mon May 11, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Mon May 11, 2015 2:02 pm

Well, it isn't easy getting a top class striker when you aren't allowed to spend 150 k on any player.(unless you are Suarez who had been here for years scoring 30 goals/season)
And yes, I'll  be majorly surprised if we sign players with that wage.

With Gerrard and Johnson leaving, probably also Balotelli and with Skrtel(1 year left) baulking at the new contract offers, the biggest earner at this club will be Sturridge at 80 k!
But of course you aren't allowed to mention that.
So markovic cost 20 million, bla waste bla bla bla. And oh, his wage is 35 k.
But no, it was all Rodgers 100 % He also really wants to keep the wages low as it is in his own interests... IS IT F****!
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon May 11, 2015 2:53 pm

Penguins » Mon May 11, 2015 2:02 pm wrote:Well, it isn't easy getting a top class striker when you aren't allowed to spend 150 k on any player.(unless you are Suarez who had been here for years scoring 30 goals/season)
And yes, I'll  be majorly surprised if we sign players with that wage.

With Gerrard and Johnson leaving, probably also Balotelli and with Skrtel(1 year left) baulking at the new contract offers, the biggest earner at this club will be Sturridge at 80 k!
But of course you aren't allowed to mention that.
So markovic cost 20 million, bla waste bla bla bla. And oh, his wage is 35 k.
But no, it was all Rodgers 100 % He also really wants to keep the wages low as it is in his own interests... IS IT F****!

Daniel sturridge is the highest earner at the club mate. He signed a new deal worth 150k a week, It is an incentivised deal so due to him not playing and scoring he would prob be getting 130k.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Mon May 11, 2015 3:10 pm

Penguins you talk of £35k a week as it is almost derisery !! It's laughable mate. It's over £1.5m a year for kicking a football. Your average brain surgeon would be lucky to earn a sixth of that !! We are being systomatically programmed into thinking that £35k a week is pathetic and that £80k a week is nothing special. That is over £4m a year. That is more than the CEO of Apple who are currently the largest company in the world. I'm ignoring his performance related share options because footballers live in the envable world where performance doesn't seem to matter.

Oh and in case you forgot Henderson has just signe a contract for £100k a week. £5.2m a year ffs. Falcao an Di Maria are on over £500k a week between them and they have been massively dissapointing. Paying crazy wages doesn't guarantee success. Just look at what City have won and what they have spent. There weekly wage bill is also one of the highest in Europe and just what have they achieved in the CL.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon May 11, 2015 4:57 pm

Dev, I know where you're coming from with the salary comparisons BUT footballers with any degree of skill aren't comparing their wage with that of a brain surgeon (£100k p.a. average in the UK btw), they're looking at what other footballers are earning !

Mad , Crazy, Greedy Undeserving, motherf*ckers that so many of them are  :veryangry

Just seems to be the way of the football world as it stands, and like it or not, in such a world a wage of £35k a week is small beer.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Penguins » Mon May 11, 2015 5:50 pm

devaney » Mon May 11, 2015 2:10 pm wrote:Penguins you talk of £35k a week as it is almost derisery !! It's laughable mate. It's over £1.5m a year for kicking a football. Your average brain surgeon would be lucky to earn a sixth of that !! We are being systomatically programmed into thinking that £35k a week is pathetic and that £80k a week is nothing special. That is over £4m a year. That is more than the CEO of Apple who are currently the largest company in the world. I'm ignoring his performance related share options because footballers live in the envable world where performance doesn't seem to matter.

Oh and in case you forgot Henderson has just signe a contract for £100k a week. £5.2m a year ffs. Falcao an Di Maria are on over £500k a week between them and they have been massively dissapointing. Paying crazy wages doesn't guarantee success. Just look at what City have won and what they have spent. There weekly wage bill is also one of the highest in Europe and just what have they achieved in the CL.

C'mon dev, wake up and smell the footballing world in the 21th century....
We can talk at length about how obscene player wages are but that's a fact and not much you can do about it. Either you join the fray or you fail, simple as.
And please stop with the "money won't bring success". Simple truth is if you don't spend you don't win. Does it guarantee it? No, but if you don't spend it guarantees that you will have no success!
Which teams have won titles lately that aren't among the top spenders in wages??? I know the answer and you know the answer.
It's no longer the 70s and 80s where you could find gems in the lower divisions and where the manager had all the power making all the footballing decisons.
All leagues and scouted out, owners decide much more in what direction a club is heading and the manager is more a coach who has to follow the plans and models the owners set out, not the other way around.

Well, paying 150 k for a injury prone footballer isn't good business, but Sturridge is still and exception.
I ask again how many players will we sign at 150 k? And how many over the age of 28?
0 on both accounts....
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 11, 2015 8:27 pm

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-boss-brendan-rodgers-9233069

“I was so anxious for it to be my turn, for the manager to read the letter from my mum.

“I waited and waited for it. The manager had spoken to the mothers of every player in the team, he’d been reading a message before every game for months and finally my turn had come.

“At first, I didn’t know that the manager would be reading a letter from her, then he mentioned her name and I was really overwhelmed.

“It said she loved me, is proud of me, is always with me and missing me.

“There was more, but those are just the words I needed to hear. It filled me up. The other players were also really moved because every week, regardless of whose mother it was with the message, we were all inspired and emotional.

In all seriousness shouldn't the manager be motivating the players ,is it no longer plausible that wearing that red shirt is inspirational enough ?
Has Rodgers been watching Celebrity Big Brother  ???
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Mon May 11, 2015 8:59 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 11, 2015 7:27 pm wrote:http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-boss-brendan-rodgers-9233069

In all seriousness shouldn't the manager be motivating the players ,is it no longer plausible that wearing that red shirt is inspirational enough ?

He was motivating the players. Coutinho says '“We were getting really strong, powerful words and it pushed us so much.”.

Should wearing the red shirt be inspiration enough? Of course, but lets face it, for most players these days, the sad truth is, it's not.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Mon May 11, 2015 11:21 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 11, 2015 8:27 pm wrote:http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-boss-brendan-rodgers-9233069

“I was so anxious for it to be my turn, for the manager to read the letter from my mum.

“I waited and waited for it. The manager had spoken to the mothers of every player in the team, he’d been reading a message before every game for months and finally my turn had come.

“At first, I didn’t know that the manager would be reading a letter from her, then he mentioned her name and I was really overwhelmed.

“It said she loved me, is proud of me, is always with me and missing me.

“There was more, but those are just the words I needed to hear. It filled me up. The other players were also really moved because every week, regardless of whose mother it was with the message, we were all inspired and emotional.

And there is some on here thinking he is being forced to work with kids  :help
I'm not surprised one bit that he uses ***** like this as the alarm bells were ringing when he brought in steve peters. The man lacks the ability himself to motivate players which is a big problem and the reason why we don't show up in big games.

Treating them as adults would be a good start.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby eds » Tue May 12, 2015 12:34 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 11, 2015 10:33 am wrote:
Good post mate.

Thanks Yakka.

1. There is no denying that managers have favourites, but my point was that Rodgers has done this to the detriment of the team. Benitez constantly played Kuyt as a RM because we had no one better that could play that position. Rodgers on the other hand has continually played Gerrard, Johnson, etc when it hasn't worked but HAD OPTIONS. You simply can't defend that.
2. This is the key point that is driving everyone bonkers. No one knows what is happening with our transfers but even though he may not have complete control you simply can't absolve him as it would be ludicrous to say he has NO involvement whatsoever. Players like Allen and Borini who have had a working relationship in the past with him have obviously been brought in because of this. What's alarming is that they are nowhere near good enough to be at Liverpool yet Rodgers at some point in time thought they were  ??? You have to worry about this kind of mentality mate.
3. Forward planning. As in we had no one come in to replace Suarez when RODGERS KNEW he was leaving. What's worse is that Arsenal and Barcelona made a mockery of him and Ayre with the whole Sanchez debacle. And as RBG has been banging on about NOTHING has been done to replace Gerrard. We need to bring in a quality signing over the summer to boss our midfield. What are the chances we end up with another over priced 20yo as our marquee signing, arriving with ridiculous expectations. The same expectations which have destroyed Markovic's confidence and found Sterling severely wanting.
4. That's my point, we can't have a manager that makes these ridiculous school-boy manager mistakes. Yeah maybe in the lower leagues you can get away with this nonsense but not at Liverpool and not with our reputation on the line in Europe. This is half the reason why he should go.
5. You keep harping on about miracles? What miracles? With the money Rodgers had to spend last summer, I don't think getting 4th place was a miracle. It was a realistic expectation based on the fact we finished 2nd. If we had brought in 2 or 3 very expensive signings, as even you and Reg have mentioned I highly doubt we would not have found ourselves in the mess we are in now. Rather than doing the hard work of establishing networks across Europe, speaking to quality players or their agents and selling them his vision or bringing in a renown DOF to do this, he arrogantly choose to go at it alone and allow a mish mash of over-priced dross. He isn't a good manager because he let this happen UNDER his watch.

I guess we see success differently. Yes, we have won trophies over the last 15 years but the one thing we have failed is winning the domestic title. Our bread and butter. You could swap almost all of those trophies for just one premier league victory. I said almost, because winning the CL in my eyes is just as good. 

As for your comparison with other sides not winning as much in "100 years", why are we even comparing ourselves to minnows? That's the mentality that I will never subscribe to.....mediocrity. The world's best sides win trophies REGULARLY and we SHOULD always strive to be in that top bracket, because the day we stop thinking that way is the day we go the way of Nottingham Forest, Aston Villa, etc.

Rodgers has not done a decent job as none of what you say can convince anyone. We finished 2nd because it is plainly obvious now we had the 3rd best player on the planet carrying us on his shoulders and got carried away by selling him to appease his own self interests and the general football public's. A mistake that history will judge Rodgers, our management and owners very harshly because we simply squandered all the money we had to rebuild this club.  :no
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby devaney » Tue May 12, 2015 7:00 am

Copy and paste !!  NOTHING NEW HERE FROM THE CHAIRMAN OF THE WHINGE COMMITTEE !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext