In january window - Where do we strengthen?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redhayesy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:05 pm

thanks for your imput scott,some  great shouts their mate. i'd forgotten about anelka, the only thing is he was loaned to us wasn't he? but i totally agree at the time we should have defo signed him on a permanent basis! for me the question remains with players like him- was it down to funds or what? cause he did make a difference to the side at the time.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby rocky29 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:27 pm

Scottbot wrote:
redhayesy wrote:what i would love to know from anyone on here who has any facts or stats etc when was the last time we bought a player in the january window,who actually made a sugnificent impact on the side till the end of that particular season? 

just to throw that in as part of the discussion like?

That's a pretty good question that Haysey, almost warrants it's own thread in fact. Just going on the last 6-7 years (plus no doubt i'm missing some out) but I can remember Mascherano came in and played very well when we signed him in January 4 years (i think) ago. He played a big part in getting us to the European Cup final that year. Fowler's return the season before was a great bit of business by Rafa, and not just because the goals he scored (i think he scored 8-10?) but the way it lifted the team and the crowd for the 2nd half of the season. And going back a bit further Nicholas Anelka springs to mind, i thin he said fairly recently that his 3 months at LFC was some of the best football he had ever played. If ever a decision ever came back to haunt a manager it must be passing up Anelka to sign Spit the Dog.

ru bennies long losts cousin. Do u have to right an essay on every post.
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:06 am

rocky29 wrote:
Scottbot wrote:
redhayesy wrote:what i would love to know from anyone on here who has any facts or stats etc when was the last time we bought a player in the january window,who actually made a sugnificent impact on the side till the end of that particular season? 

That's a pretty good question that Haysey, almost warrants it's own thread in fact. Just going on the last 6-7 years (plus no doubt i'm missing some out) but I can remember Mascherano came in and played very well when we signed him in January 4 years (i think) ago. He played a big part in getting us to the European Cup final that year. Fowler's return the season before was a great bit of business by Rafa, and not just because the goals he scored (i think he scored 8-10?) but the way it lifted the team and the crowd for the 2nd half of the season. And going back a bit further Nicholas Anelka springs to mind, i thin he said fairly recently that his 3 months at LFC was some of the best football he had ever played. If ever a decision ever came back to haunt a manager it must be passing up Anelka to sign Spit the Dog.

People with a brain tend to like to use it.  :;):
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby sixbuster » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:18 am

Bad Bob wrote:
rocky29 wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

People with a brain tend to like to use it.  :;):

:D excellent
Forever a red
sixbuster

Postby aCe' » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:27 am

LFC2007 wrote:David Luiz from Benfica. It may take £20m but I think he'd be worth it.

yep !!!
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:54 am

aCe' wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:David Luiz from Benfica. It may take £20m but I think he'd be worth it.

yep !!!

Yes I like him too. I only saw him play against us, but he was absolutely top drawer both times. I also like that Perea or something like that who plays for Athletico madrid. Got to be one of the quickest centre halves around.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:56 am

rocky29 wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

No Benny (as much as I love him) has a habit of answering posts with a question. And with that in mind you might wanna re-scan your own post. :p
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:55 am

Scottbot wrote:
rocky29 wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

No Benny (as much as I love him) has a habit of answering posts with a question. And with that in mind you might wanna re-scan your own post. :p

When do I ever do that  :glare:
Benny The Noon

Postby Ray Pugh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:40 pm

2 big January signings needed
I reckon Ashley Young would be a great 1st signing (not wanting a new contract at Villa).
2nd signing definately a striker… Dzeko, Aguero, Benzema, Llorente, Suarez or Gomez would be quality.

In summer Affellay and Shaquiri both on a free.

Wingers then sorted for now.. Young (LM), Affellay (RM), Shaquiri (LM), Maxi (RM), Ince (LM), Amoo (RM)….Kuyt and Joe Cole can also cover
Sell…. Babel, Jovanovic, El Zhar

Stikers then sorted…… Torres, (big name striker from January), Kuyt, Pacheco, Eccleston
Sell……..Ngog

Then concentrate on new left back and maybe new strong aerial central defender
Ray Pugh

Postby tubby » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:46 pm

Aguero, Benzema, Llorente, Suarez?

Somehow I don't think Roy would be able to attract such players. If we had an established continental manager maybe.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ray Pugh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:55 pm

bavlondon wrote:Aguero, Benzema, Llorente, Suarez?

Somehow I don't think Roy would be able to attract such players. If we had an established continental manager maybe.

You're probably right about Hodgson but the name of Liverpool still has a lot of pulling power (even in our current predicament)
Ray Pugh

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:46 pm

Bav,
If, as I hope come January, RH is NOT the manager of the club, then I believe he should NOT be the guy tapping up potential new signings. Any player with half a brain will see what he has achieved since he started with LFC (worst start ever ??), and do a runner straight away.
No, I believe KK and other LFC legends should be the ones, alongside NESV, to talk to players about joining LFC and bringing us back to where we should rightfully be.
If I were to be tapped up by KK, I'd place a helluva lot more kudos in what HE has to say than RH.
Leave RH out of this, FFS !!
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:55 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:

Bav,
If, as I hope come January, RH is NOT the manager of the club, then I believe he should NOT be the guy tapping up potential new signings. Any player with half a brain will see what he has achieved since he started with LFC (worst start ever ??), and do a runner straight away.
No, I believe KK and other LFC legends should be the ones, alongside NESV, to talk to players about joining LFC and bringing us back to where we should rightfully be.
If I were to be tapped up by KK, I'd place a helluva lot more kudos in what HE has to say than RH.

er, that's KK's job as technical director.

He's employed to (amongst other things) to meet potential new players and convince them that coming to Liverpool is the right step.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby worcester_red » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:00 pm

7_Kewell wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:

Bav,

He's employed to (amongst other things) to meet potential new players and convince them that coming to Liverpool is the right step.

problem solved then  :D
worcester_red

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:05 pm

7_Kewell wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:

Bav,

And so it should be...

The point being that any suggestion that RH might be used as leverage to lure a player to LFC is absolute nonsense.

IMO it would do the opposite....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion