Reds fan brown to liverpool? - Manure defender in january window?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:18 am

judge wrote:aye, thats right, but where's your full page novel, i didnt manage to get the liverpool echo this morn? :D  lol

:D Wana see it Alan :laugh:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:20 am

Sir Alex Ferguson broke the habit of a lifetime by criticising one of his own players last night as it emerged that Manchester United would reluctantly put Wes Brown up for sale in the January transfer window.
The 24-year-old England defender has turned down a new contract and will be a free agent next summer, leaving the club little choice but to seek a cut-price deal rather than risk losing him for nothing.

Although Ferguson has not given up hope of persuading Brown to change his mind, the defender has indicated he will leave unless the club significantly improve their offer. He is one of the lowest-paid players at Old Trafford, earning a weekly salary of £15,000, and his representatives have asked for a three-fold increase.

United's directors have refused to meet his requirements, mainly because of concerns about his susceptibility to injury. The two sides are described as being "poles apart" and Ferguson is bracing himself to lose the player he regards as "the best natural defender in the country". Newcastle United, searching for a replacement for Jonathan Woodgate, would be the favourites to prise Brown away.

"We've made the boy an offer and he's turned it down," said Ferguson. "It's his decision. He can please himself - there are no more talks planned that I'm aware of. We'd like to avoid the situation where he leaves on a free transfer. If he wants to stay we would love that. But if he wants to look elsewhere that's up to him - there's nothing you can do with modern-day footballers."

To Ferguson's irritation, Brown is no longer represented by Michael Kennedy, who has close links with the United hierarchy. Instead he has been recruited by Paul Martin of SFX, the same company that negotiated David Beckham's departure from Old Trafford.

"He has changed his agent - I don't know why," said Ferguson. "He's got an agent that has given him advice that I do not understand. I think the problem is with the agent, not the player."

The prospect of losing any player on a free transfer will appal Ferguson given that Sir Roy Gardner, the chairman of United's plc, has already informed him that by spending £27m on Wayne Rooney he has used his entire transfer budget until January 2006.

The United manager is also concerned that the club could lose Roy Carroll without getting a penny in return when his contract expires at the end of the season. Carroll is acutely aware that Ferguson does not regard him as a first-team player in the longer term and has rejected a new contract.

:D There ya go Alan just for you :laugh:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 106-1093504160 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:48 am

cheers lyndsay, i was news starved for the moment :D
106-1093504160

Postby squirrel » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:01 pm

adayinthelife wrote:
L-type wrote:how is rejecting a perfectly good player a winning mentality? I don't care if benitez is pulling these players out of his a$$ as long as they pull their weight and make Liverpool a better team.

We don't sign scum.

Never have never will.

You're the type of fan no club needs. Yep, rivalry is healthy, and the Manchester rivalry has always kept us on our toes. However, to label someone scum because they play a rival is bloody immature and is something we can do without.
squirrel

Postby Paul C » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:12 pm

Hmmm, I think you need to talk to man u fans as I've them say worst about LFC!!!! :angry:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:52 am

squirrel wrote:You're the type of fan no club needs. Yep, rivalry is healthy, and the Manchester rivalry has always kept us on our toes. However, to label someone scum because they play a rival is bloody immature and is something we can do without.

Whilst I refrain from using derogatory and offensive remarks when describing rivals, your evaluation of Man U and your willingness to buy a player from that club demonstrates a lack of understanding as to the feeling between these 2 cities.

As Greenred has ably informed us on another thread (Albeit via google) Liverpool DID once sign a  Man U player early on during his tenure as LFC Manager........ which goes to show even GREAT men make the occasional mistake.

:D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bRy » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:43 am

Yeh, I bet all those United fans are still seething about signing Cantona...
bRy

Postby Redrider » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:26 pm

Keone, would make a good stop-gap for the remainder of the season. He would give a ' bark & bite' to the back line. :p
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Redprof » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:06 pm

Keone would be a disaster. He would slow down an even slower defence. Whats needed is some speed and vision in defence, Wes Brown would be a better buy :)
Redprof

Postby Redrider » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:19 pm

Nice one Prof', always admired Keones tenacity, there are few Premiership forwards who would not relish playing against him if were to go to Pompey as the romours have it.
A few the die-hards here have a problem with signing ex Manu' players and it might cause a bit of 'domestic friction'. However, I fear his geatest weakness might be his ability to remain off the injury list.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:32 pm

Personally I think Wes Brown is hugely overated and I would not welcome him at Anfield.

My bet is that he will be at Newcastle in January.
Last edited by Cool Hand Luke on Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:40 pm

wes brown is probably the most overated defender in the country, im sure he wouldnt have those england caps if he played for another team, he's very average and we can do better
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:35 pm

Has wrote:Personally I think Wes Brown is hugely overated and I would not welcome him at Anfield.

My bet is that he will be at Newcastle in January.

Good Bet !
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion