If the unthinkable happened - We finish outside the top 4

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby fivecups » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:17 am

s@int wrote:
crazyhorse wrote:At the end of this season is the world cup... Does anyone think, as I do very slightly that the purse strings have been held back so that some signings can be made on the back of the tournament?

A bit out there I know, but with the crazy logic of football this kinds of adds up!

Not really mate, I think the money just got pulled as soon as RBS said they wanted a lump sum off our owners.

I think up till then Rafa had (or thought he had) a budget and suddenly found he hadn't got a pot to p!ss in. Which is why there was a lot of talk of us after this player and that player and then ........silence. Of course we still splashed the cash on the greek warrior, but Rafa was supposed to sell a goalkeeper to pay for him...... sadly the deal to PSV couldn't be completed in time.

Agreed. Seems like wishful thinking to me Crazyhorse. I think we just have no money.

Besides, Im not sure that picking the best performers from a tournament is the way to go. Didn't we end up with Diouf and Diao after the world cup? Also, Baros overperformed in the Euros compared to his Liverpool performances. I suppose Arshavin could be used as a counter arguement.
Last edited by fivecups on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:26 am

fivecups wrote:
s@int wrote:
crazyhorse wrote:At the end of this season is the world cup... Does anyone think, as I do very slightly that the purse strings have been held back so that some signings can be made on the back of the tournament?

A bit out there I know, but with the crazy logic of football this kinds of adds up!

Not really mate, I think the money just got pulled as soon as RBS said they wanted a lump sum off our owners.

I think up till then Rafa had (or thought he had) a budget and suddenly found he hadn't got a pot to p!ss in. Which is why there was a lot of talk of us after this player and that player and then ........silence. Of course we still splashed the cash on the greek warrior, but Rafa was supposed to sell a goalkeeper to pay for him...... sadly the deal to PSV couldn't be completed in time.

Agreed. Seems like wishful thinking to me Crazyhorse. I think we just have no money.

Besides, Im not sure that picking the best performers from a tournament is the way to go. Didn't we end up with Diouf and Diao after the world cup? Also, Baros overperformed in the Euros compared to his Liverpool performances. I suppose Arshavin could be used as a counter arguement.

Yeah mate, Phil Babb was another of our World cup wonder buys....... we spent years wondering why we ever bought him  :D
account deleted by request

Postby maguskwt » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:19 pm

s@int wrote:
fivecups wrote:
s@int wrote:

Yeah mate, Phil Babb was another of our World cup wonder buys....... we spent years wondering why we ever bought him  :D

Well some players just seem to perform better on the international stage. It's the team set-up that is a big factor. In case of Baros, he didn't just do well in the Euros, he performed consistently and scored goals consistently whenever he played for Czech Republic...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:35 pm

bigmick wrote:Totally agree Magus on the lack of monetry support, particularly recently. The most frustrating aspect of the whole scenario is that we really do/did look as if we were on the cusp of something. It seems that having spent a stack of money on the team in order to climb a mountain, we are going to risk failing through an unwillingness to stump up for an extra sherpa or two now we're near the summit.

That said, as some have pointed out there isn't an awful lot of spending going on by any of the big four, so providing Aquilani is a decent buy we should still be able to compete OK. Obviously you'd expect Man City will at the very least close the gap (they'd expect it themselves given what they've spent) and it's begining to look like not for the first time Redknapp is doing a good job, so Spurs will compete harder.

The Mancs and Arsenal are both hugely in transfer spend credit this Summer though, and with Chelsea having bought only Zhirkov it would be hard to argue that they're "buying the thing" either.

All that said though, I do share peoples frustration on the seemingly sudden tightening of the purse strings. If we take the required leap of faith to assume aquilani will come near to replacing Alonso, I would have thought the signings of say Carlos Tevez and Mathew Upson would have made us solid title favourites. It remains to be seen whether we can still do it without the financial push which while not quite being "needed", would have been nice.

Truth be told I am quite worried about the threat of Man City and Spurs. They have spent good money on players and now their squads are actually better than ours in terms of strength in depth. They have won all of their games so far together with Chelsea. I can see the Mancs slipping up here and there because their stars are aging and only Wayne Rooney is holding them together. And I can also see the inexperience of Arsenal youngsters undoing themselves. But Man City and Spurs so far look good for the money or the money they spent. This has been my argument when it comes to money. Money doesn't guarantee success but it brings you alot closer to success. If we can't compete with Spurs in terms of spending then we are indeed in dire staits. The league is not actually about who plays the best football if that was the case Arsenal would have won it every single season. To win the league you need to grind out results consistently and to do that you need a big squad and strength in depth. I'm sure everybody knows that already though...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:51 pm

s@int wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
bigmick wrote:Look Lando, in response to one of the things you said in the PM, I'm going to prove you wrong. I'm going to do something for YOU here and now. I'll feck off for a wee while, certainly a few weeks but maybe a bit longer, and in the meantime you can chill out a bit.

I was planning on having a break anyway, and now's as good a time as any.

I meant what I said about moving on though, you should and lifes too short. You take it easy big fella, till next time, Mick.

NB I will still stick me team in the last man standing though, I do like that.

Don't be gone too long - sh*t like this livens the place up. :D

No it doesn't, all it does is prevent the people who WANT to discuss football from discussing it for a while.

It takes two to Tango, Saint.

Don't forget that the next time you're chatting with Mick...

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:54 am

Back on topic. Well, even if we mght make it this season what about the next?

City will continue on the up, so will Spurs. What will we do?
Sell masch and some other for 40 million and buy 2-3 players for 40 million. And then if it goes wrong it is Rafa's fault cause he had loads to spend.... :no

Where will money for transfers come from?
G&H have so far loaned for all players purchases and they can not loan anymore as they have reached the limit. They will never put real money into the club so that is not an option.
There will be a loan to service and another refinancing next summer again. Maybe if we manage to win the league or the CL Rafa might get 10 million to spend. Yay...
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Yossi_Benaloon » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:52 pm

Its too early to worry. We have as good a squad depth wise as any of the other top 4, spurs and citeh. Weren't Man Utd struggling at the start of last season? And Arsenal? And where did this finish.

If the owners sell...so be it. This is Liverpool FC.... that will be an attractive enough proposition for any rich Arab (or non Arab). We are not in the position of the smaller premiership teams who are easily replaceable.
Yossi_Benaloon

Postby Penguins » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:11 pm

I think we should worry I am afraid.

I beg to differ that our squad depth is as good as the other top 3, spurs and City. And what's worse, we have no money to improve it in the future either as our rivals do.

And the owners are dellusional, didn't you know that?
It is not as simple as saying we are LFC, therefore someone out the would put out 500 million for something that was woth 200 million 3 years ago without problem.

Right now we are not an attractive proposition at all with a huge debt and a desperate need for a 4-500 million investment on a new stadium. That means a new owner with the valuation of our ******* owners would have to pay around a billion.

It is this ignorant view that we are above everyone and we could never do a Leeds that will be devastating long-term.
We are just a vulnerable as any other club.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:25 pm

Im afraid that if things don't take a turn for the better soon both on and off the pitch this club will begin tumbling downhill and once that happens it will be a long way back.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:57 pm

The way i feel at the moment im not ar,sed if we finish outside the top four tbh, Maybe it would be a blessing in disguise , it might get rid of them to b,astards
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:05 pm

NANNY RED wrote:The way i feel at the moment im not ar,sed if we finish outside the top four tbh, Maybe it would be a blessing in disguise , it might get rid of them to b,astards

And it might not nanny
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:17 pm

GYBS wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:The way i feel at the moment im not ar,sed if we finish outside the top four tbh, Maybe it would be a blessing in disguise , it might get rid of them to b,astards

And it might not nanny

There is probably more chance of them actually going then not going. Think about it, they would have to come up with 35mil as interest and if they sold a player it would only be downhill from then on so selling players isn't even an option. A cut price sale would be the probably outcome would it not?
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:46 pm

As stubborn as Hicks is I wouldn't bet my mortgage on it...
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:49 pm

Exactly - can see him sticking it out no matter what happens
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:02 pm

I cant if theres no European cup money coming in,
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext