Sevie g - The unthinkable ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dalglish » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:05 am

Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard could be ready to consider leaving the club in a big-money move to millionaires Chelsea, if reports in the press prove to be correct.

The boyhood Liverpool fan is one of the best midfielders in Europe and showed that last season by dragging The Reds into the UEFA Champions League almost singled handed.

Now, a number of reports in the English press indicate that he could be ready to leave Anfield in search of a better chance of silverware.

Gerrard had always backed former manager Gerard Houllier and it is not known how badly he took the news of the Frenchman's departure.

Liverpool still do not have a new manager, although it is expected to be former Valencia boss Rafael Benitez, and he for one would not want his star player to leave at the start of his reign.

Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich will stop at nothing to get his side to the very top and pairing Gerrard with Frank Lampard in midfield would be for him a major a  coup.

However, Gerrard has always said that he wants to win things with Liverpool, and is hoping that Michael Owen will follow him in signing a new deal at Anfield.

£66 million is around the figure being mooted as the price it would cost Chelsea, but it does seem unlikely that Gerrard would leave the Mereyside outfit while they are on the verge of appointing a new manager.

They could also be set for some fresh investment of their own and Gerrard, as skipper, could be the man to lead them on to better things.

Gerrard looks certain to star in the European Championship over the next few weeks, and his displays may see a number of Europe's top clubs come sniffing around the action-packed midfielder.

There is a strong rumour that SG put ina  transfer request in the last couple of weeks but was turned down.....

And you think England getting beat  was a Disaster !!!!!
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:26 am

66million,where does that figure come from Dalglish? we could build a new stadium with that amount of money.I know stevie is a very special player but i wouldnt turn down that kind of money for anyone.Abramovich is a fukkin idiot and if he wants to blow the debts of a third world nation on a single footballers contract than bring him on.Infact if he can pay 66mil than why not ask for 100mill? People like him seriously p.iss me off.No footballer,not Pele,not Maradona,is worth that kind of money.Stevie Gerrard can and will be replaced,but an idiot like abramovich comes along once in a lifetime.I reckon we should ask 70million plus Duff,Lampard,and Makele. :D
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:48 am

70 mill plus Duff, Lampard and makele ? Now thats just taking Liberties greenred :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:49 am

70 Mill PLUS Duff, Lampard and Makele ? Now thats just taking lberties Greenred :D  Your right though , no player is worth such stupid money but we have been saying that since Trevor Francis cost Forest a cool 1 million !
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 84-1083280474 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:55 am

This story/ Rumour has got to be a wind up. He recently signed a new contract, why is he gonna do that if he's gonna leave??

Not only that, he became a father recently ad you just dont get up and leave do you?

According to newspaper reports, people are saying that he has put in a transfer request because he doesnt like benitez and wanted Alan curbishley as the new boss.
Even tho benitez hasnt even started the job yet

Is that the biggest wind up of the year??
Alan curbishley isnt fit enough to be the boss, and i very much doubt that this is true by a long shot.
bollox
84-1083280474

Postby stapo1000 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:56 am

Dalglish wrote:And you think England getting beat  was a Disaster !!!!!

no, actually, thought that the english arrogane deserved to lose them the match especially in taking off rooney(p.r.i.c.k) and putting on the great man himself, heskey.

anyway, i think stevie's moment of madness could be what keeps him at liverpool next season. i would hate to see him leave and i think every other liverpool fan wants that to.
Nonetheless, if he were to leave whats the harm in having 66million for players.
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:08 am

Fair point Stapo. Obviously we should do everything in our power to keep the very best players we have but no player is unsellable at any price and 66 Million is SOME price. I'd be alittle perturbed to se him join another Prem club though ???

Hopefully its all Paper talk and SG stays and takes us forward but i know how much SG looked on GH as his manager and someone who helped him through a difficult time in his life so it's inevitable he wil have been upset when GH lost his job.

I'm not sure even Gerrard knows what he thinks of Benitez so that IS most probably paper talk ......

As for his moment of madness last night I think most managers of th top clubs will negate that small indiscretion against his monumental abilities in every other area of his game . If he plays tillhe is 100 , he is unlikely to make that pass again !! :p
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:34 am

Gerrard is unsellable, unreplacable. I don't care about 66m, there isn't any pricetag we can put on him right now.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby begintoend » Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:08 am

Abram,
I da afraid that'ta 66million is not'ta enuffa.
Can ya do deet art'a 100million... :p
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:20 am

Dalglish wrote:I'm not sure even Gerrard knows what he thinks of Benitez so that IS most probably paper talk ......

The papers (Daily Mail) said Gerrard is disappointed with the choice of Benitez, he wanted Curbishley !!!! Could that be true ?
I wish these rumours would go away  :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Paul C » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:26 am

Their is all kinds of rumours going round about Stevie at the moment, one I heard yesterday was that he handed in a transfer request  ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:59 pm

Gerrard is probably thinking about the swiss game at the moment and the downside with having one of the hottest midfielders in the game is gonna be rumours.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:14 pm

Radio Merseyside revealed news,at lunch-time today,that Steven Gerrard had a verbal transfer request turned down 3 months ago.He then signed a contract with assurances,that if any "big" club came in with a large offer,then he would be allowed to consider an option to leave.
    Rick Parry said if any player wants to leave,then there is not a lot Liverpool can do.With the Thai deal looking dead in the water and Moores refusal to even contemplate bringing Steve Morgan into the frame,I believe Liverpool will seriously consider excepting a huge fee for Gerrard.This fund will then be made available to the new manager,whoever he may be.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:29 pm

I've just been to seek out a copy of sunday's mail. If you haven't seen it, it's quite funny. The headline was "Gerrard: I'll quit Anfield". This gives the obvious impression that it's a quote and what he actually said. The story then goes on to not have one single quote from anybody. The nearest it gets is saying something about him confiding in close friends to wanting to leave. It doesn't name them, say who told them this or what he is supposed to have said.

To think, this bloke is getting paid to write this cr@p and it made it as their main sport story on a day when England were playing France at Portugal 2004, England were about to win a test match and England's world championship winning rugby team were playing the All Blacks. It basically shows what the press is all about these days. T#ssers to a man.

:angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm

Cant agree more stmike but in their views it sells papers and probably does even though Id never buy the mail.

If the radio rumours are true then we might have to think about selling him although I tend not to pay attention to the papers at this moment in time as they need dross to fill up their column space. I just wish they would announce the manager now to stop these rumours before it does start to unsettle people.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion