Sevie g - The unthinkable ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:46 pm

Can somebody remind me ,what was the length of his new contract ?
And altough Houllier wasn't my favourite at least he was adamant that under him Gerrard wasn't going anywhere unless they cut his (GH) arms off first.
Don't know about you guys . Whatever fee is offered , Stevie is a symbol of LFC surely we can't sell the heart of our team ? :(
What would that say about us.Liverpool no longer aspire to regain their crown ?
We are a "feeder" club with best players being sold on ?(like West Ham over the last 20 years)
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stevie must stay :angry:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:53 pm

The fact that we have no manager (officially) at present means that stories like this will be given more credence simply because we have no-one in place to refute them.

I've said elsewhere that I'd like it if the club just issue a press statement to announce Benitez's appointment (I do concede that this is un-likely). That said, I'd be very interested to hear what Benitez is making of all this... Ultimately he should have the final say and I can't see him sanctioning the sale of our best player.

In the unlikely event that Stevie Gerrard got back from Euro 2004 and handed in a written transfer request, he should not be sold. If he insists that he wants to leave we should drop him, let him rot at home. He has a contract for the next four years, by the time it's up he'll be 28 and if he hasn't played for anyone in all that time potential new employers would ask Stevie Who??? - It's about time this football club showed that they mean business, if the players wanna play hard ball, fair enough but they need to remember who owns them.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby greenred » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:54 pm

Letting Gerrard go wouldnt make us a selling club.Every player has his price and if the figures being mentioned are true than we should bite Abramovich`s hand off.If Stevie has handed in a transfer request than he should go now.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:00 pm

Agree Greenred, no player is irreplacable and if we got a ridiculous offer from Chelsea then I'd cash in because there is no way Steven Gerrard is worth the prices being bandied around, no player is. If we got, for arguments sake £50mil for Gerrard that would allow us to buy 3 or 4 absolutley top class players, Aimar, Baraja, Van der Vaart and Ayala to name but a few options. If Gerrard was sold it would not mean we are a selling club, it just means we are a club with enough sense to know a good deal when we see it
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:04 pm

greenred wrote:Letting Gerrard go wouldnt make us a selling club.Every player has his price and if the figures being mentioned are true than we should bite Abramovich`s hand off.If Stevie has handed in a transfer request than he should go now.

What part of NO don't you understand ?
If Gerrard has four seasons left on his contract WE KEEP HIM for at least three more seasons and continue to play him. You think he will be worth less then ? Three years from now he will be at his peak,maybe even lifting the CL trophy in an LFC shirt.
Letting him go would signal that for the right price ANY Lfc player can be bought.Let Stevie go this season and we can say goodbye to Owen as well.
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
NON NON NON NON NON NON NON NON NON NON NON NON
NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN

F*CK OFF HE'S NOT FOR SALE  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby greenred » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:11 pm

If Gerrard has handed in a transfer request than he obviously doesnt want to play for Liverpool.We need players who want to play for the club.Dont you agree woof woof?
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:17 pm

If Owen and more importantly Gerrard leaves, it will give a signal to football europe. Liverpool F.C. is not on it`s way up. Why should world class players come to us then? Money? I don`t want that. I want players who want to play for Liverpool, because they want to win trophies at the club. I want them to have the same reasons as Kewell did when he signed.

If Owen and Gerrard leave, I think we can forget about world class players. Ballack is going to Barca, Davids has signed a 4 year contract with Barca. Our only hope then is that Rafa can bring some Valencia players. I think it`ll be max 2 anyway.
If Gerrard leaves, it will be devastating for the club and for the fans....
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:20 pm

greenred wrote:If Gerrard has handed in a transfer request than he obviously doesnt want to play for Liverpool.We need players who want to play for the club.Dont you agree woof woof?

Stevie is man enough to have a transfer request (if in fact one exists) turned down and still do the right thing.
:angry:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby greenred » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:21 pm

I agree with you about Gerrards importance.But do we really need to hang on to unhappy players?Gerrard is the biggest influence on that dressing room and any negativity from him would spread to the rest of the players.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:30 pm

Greenred , so many things are up in the air right now, we don't even know how valid some of this gossip is . But if Stevie said he wanted to leave and we said NO ,ok he might have a bit of a sulk but would then get on with it and if the team progress the way we all want them to he might then get over it.
I take your point on "why keep a player who wants to move away" but even with all the money we might recieve for him we can't just nip down to the shop and buy another one. We have to make every effort to keep him. saying "he doesn't want to play for us ,let him go " isn't good enough.
:(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:34 pm

You know when you worry about something loads and by the end of it all you're always left wondering what you were so worried for? Well after all the worrying we've done this summer over a new manager, club investment, Owen's contract and now Gerrard I'm 100% convinced we're all worrying over nothing and next season we'll land the title. Now, which way to the bookies?  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby greenred » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:38 pm

nice one :D
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:41 pm

stmichael wrote:If Owen and Gerrard leave, I think we can forget about world class players.

If we lose Gerrard and Owen this season we would be knocked back several years. I'm not even sure if we would recover from it.
Don't shake your heads, we have no divine right to remain at the top.Teams as big as us (in their day) have gone down the plughole and it's usually been down to poor management.
Right now we are a ship with no rudder,we need a captain (mgr) to get on, board discipline the crew and steer us back on course.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:43 pm

stmichael wrote:You know when you worry about something loads and by the end of it all you're always left wondering what you were so worried for? Well after all the worrying we've done this summer over a new manager, club investment, Owen's contract and now Gerrard I'm 100% convinced we're all worrying over nothing and next season we'll land the title. Now, which way to the bookies?  :D

Cheers St Mike,
If off to the fridge for another cold one, getting ready for todays action. :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:46 pm

IF - and it's a big IF - gerrard does leave for chelsea, and owen decides that he's also off, what will benitez do, and how will it affect the expectation levels? What should he do in such a situation?

firstly, the liverpool fan base would be absolutely shell-shocked. not many liverpool fans genuinely expect owen to leave this summer - we all think that he will at least sign a new short-term deal, and give us another season to show improvement; particularly since benitez will be the new manager (owen's admiration for rafa having been well documented).

but the departure of gerrard would be the real salt in the wound. for all LFC fans, gerrard IS liverpool football club. brought up in liverpool; liverpool fan through and through; and our best player by some distance. for benitez, this could work two ways. on the one hand, expectations will not be so high, and there are some ready scapegoats for any problems we would have next season. on the other hand, the pressure might be on to make some swift signings to replace them and soften the blow. whilst we might not expect players of an equivalent standard, we'd expect him to do something.

fortunately, rafa has shown he can work with limited playing resources and in difficult circumstances at valencia. i would not have trusted GH to have coped with such problems - gerrard and owen carried GH's teams a lot of the time. benitez, though, has relied on a great team first, and great individual's second at valencia. this suggests that things would not completely fall apart.

despite this however, we MUST keep both of them so that this situation doesn't arise.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion