If the unthinkable happened - We finish outside the top 4

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:39 pm

Ok so things don't look so rosey right now. We are leaking silly goals and lost to a team whom we beat 5-0 last season. We have dropped 6 points already and despite showing good spirit against Bolton on the weekend there are still some serious underlying problems. Before anyone starts saying yes but the other teams will drop points, well maybe but you cannot hedge your bets on other teams dropping points. We all sat here last season saying Utd will drop points against this team eventually but the :censored: still manage to pull through in the end.
I look around at the other 'Top 4' teams and even City and Spurs and they all seem to have more strength in depth that us. What would happen if we sustained injuries to some of our key players? Although it's only 3 games in Lucas and Babel have already shown they have not improved 1 iota since last season and Dossena will probably show the same the next time he plays. I have a real fear that if this trend continues we can drop out of the top 4 this season. And it's not like we can rely on winning in Europe to guarantee our CL place next season either.

Would the owners sell some players to make up interest payments? If so they they may well cover the interest but then it really would be a downward spiral from then on in. And if that happened how would we get back into the top 4 without further investment in the team. Once you get into the top 4 you have that big money coming in each year as well as money from Europe so the owners would have to put in a hell of a lot to get us back up. And if they can't give Rafa the extra he needs now how on earth would we expect them to if the worst happened?

It was imperative that we brought in some quality players this summer to build on last year. We have an improvment over Arby with Johnson but there is still a question mark over whether Aquilani is good enough. We were supposed to shift the deadwood and bring in some better ones but we havn't. We are stuck with the same bargain basement bunch of players that would not get into any of the top 4 sides (top 6 if you include City and Spurs).

How on earth do the fans expect us to even challange for the league with this sort of squad? The difference between us and Utd last year was that Utd didn't need their best 11 to win each game where as we did. Come this season and we still don't have anyone outside our best 11 whom I would feel confident in. Add this to the fact that our owners don't seem to be budging on selling club we potentially have quite a situation on our hands. I really feel this year will be Rafas hardest to date in his entire career and we will be walking a tight rope if the players don't step up their performances soon. This probably sounds like a bit of a kneejerk reaction but considering this is pretty much the same side that beat Utd 4-1 away, Madrid 5-0 on aggregate and Villa 5-0 scares me when you look at how we have been playing recently.

Something needs to change otherwise we are bang in trouble.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:50 pm

Bav, Bav, Bav......... can we cut our wrists after christmas rather than on the 1st of September?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:52 pm

Sure I will hold of till then. :D Although if we continue to pick up points the way we have been so far I think xmas would seem a long way off.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:53 pm

No way where not gonna make the top 4 Bav, we might not win the Title but we are too
good to not be in the top four.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:20 pm

4 games in and the talk has gone from not winning the title to not making the top 4 ?! what next - relegation talk this time in two weeks ?

the squad was good enough to challenge last year and is good enough to challenge this season - the players need to step up to the challenge and learn from last season and believe .
Last edited by GYBS on Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:21 pm

besides, there are plenty of other teams we can start supporting if that happens.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:55 pm

andy_g wrote:besides, there are plenty of other teams we can start supporting if that happens.

:laugh:
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:10 pm

We do have problems this season and its true i feel it will be rafas toughest yet. Thing that you mentioned bav about scums winning without there top players is something we will have to do this season. We did do it last season when gerrard and torres were off at few times but then we had alonso in the middle keeping us intact. This season situation is a little different and its like we all are waiting for the messiahs arrival who will hand us the holy grail. Anyhow we are meant to cope without aqua man or torres but shows we lack in depth so could be a problem.

However we have agger/skertel to come back yet so that is a good bonus. Its not too often when two our main centre backs get injured at the same time! Greek playboy and carragher will have to gel in and organise the defense.

Lets give it until nov/dec and then talk more about where we think will finnish! Will have a more clear picture by then!
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:10 pm

I also have those concerns bav, a hell of alot rests on us keeping not just our top 2 or 3 players fit but probably most of our first 11. Imagine if we lost Kuyt, Johnson and Benayoun for a few weeks never mind SG and Torres. Our squad has been left thread bare by the way Benitez is being forced to do bussines (IMO), not even able to spend the money he has brought in, I dont want to dwell to long on this point because we all know some posters see it differently and I dont want to start another owners/money debate here but I think it is clear if you look at Benitez comments early in the window he thought there would be money made availible to him aside from that which was gained though sales, it hasnt been so we havent been able to strengthen the areas that were in much need and have only just managed to put pegs in holes that were created by our departing players, with only one definite improvement (GJ).
Now we all know, and with his level of success or failure in the market aside Rafa has no problem spending money, we also know he isnt a total mug so I think it safe to say something has gone badly wrong for us to be left this short of quality "options", no striker and only just managed to bring in cover at best for CB. My final point on this is speculation but its never stopped me in the past so I`ll just plough on, at the start of the transfer window and considering the new signed contract the manager HAS to be informed what he has to play with to strenghten the areas that need it most and seeing as all we have managed to do is replace departing players I can only conclude the manager has been misled if not down right lied to.
Now the window is shut however we must plough on with what we have and as long as we have a bit of luck with injurys I see no reason why we shouldnt put in a challenge, that said I think a lot rests on Masch sorting his head out or indeed someone putting their foot up his ar$e and reminding him he`s still a liverpool player, at least untill the summer. He is much more of a worry to me than Lucas is, Lucas will always give his all and do a steady enough job for us when he is needed to fill in but if we are going to challenge this season JM is vital especially once he has the much more attack minded Aquilani next to him.
So to sum up it could go either way (theres a supprise), we lost two first teamers and we have without a shadow of doubt improved on one of them so at the moment I think it is more down to poor form and a smattering of poor attitude that is affecting us, even with our current injurys the team is well equipped to defend the odd corner and beat the likes of villa at home but as I have said I see the performances of JM as vital this season and we need him back to his best, even if Rafa assures him he can have his move to a "big club" in the summer, what ever it takes because if he doesnt improve I can see more disruption because I dont think Rafa will be comfortable playing Aquilani next to him unless he is stead fast in his duties and then we will end up with an expensive bench warmer.
So the whole team need to come together and play at a standard we all know they can but thats a given for any side, on the plus side Aurelio could figure in our next game and Aquilani has started training and could be back a few weeks earlier than first thought.
Lets make this our season blip and go on from here because another defeat or a draw or two in our next 3 or 4 games and we`ll be playing for CL qualification.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:14 pm

Part of me wants it to happen so the owners can feck rar off.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:17 pm

Edit sorry.
Last edited by Rush Job on Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:18 pm

Rush Job wrote:
Ciggy wrote:Part of me wants it to happen so the owners can feck rar off.

Wants what to happen cig?

That we finish outside the top 4. No 30 million golden egg to go off next years re-finance.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:20 pm

If we do finish outside the top 4, you can bet that those wyank's will be making their way out of the club (and good riddance). Part of me want's that to happen, but I'd like Arsenal or cheeskifeck to get the EPL if it does.

However, don't forget miracles do happen- oh yes they do. We can go on to win the title after such a long time.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby Rush Job » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:21 pm

Ciggy wrote:
Rush Job wrote:
Ciggy wrote:Part of me wants it to happen so the owners can feck rar off.

Wants what to happen cig?

That we finish outside the top 4. No 30 million golden egg to go off next years re-finance.

Yeah sorry sig I was dreamin thats why I edited, but the buger you are beat me to it. :D
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:29 pm

If we were to finish out side the top four we might not get back in for a while, I know where your coming from though and ive had similar thoughts in the past.
I remember towards the end of the Souness reign thinking keep losing and then you`ll be gone quicker but we didnt have much to lose then, there was no european footy and we were no where near challenging for the league.
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion