If the unthinkable happened - We finish outside the top 4

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:06 am

akumaface wrote:I agree with Ciggy that part of me wanted this to happen so that the owners can feck off. But the problem is i these two cu.nt owner will do whatever it takes to squeeze whatever he can before they eventually leave. It is very likely they will even sell Gerrard, Torres and all valuable players to squeeze all the money he wants from us. This is what I'm worried about because it's proven that there isn't a thing these two feckers wouldn't do...

Ok let's assume we do finish 5th and we sell Torres to pay of the interest. Without his goals and an adequate replacement we are unlikley to regain a top 4 finish so we then face the same fate the following season when Mascherano is sold. With all these key players being sold we are hardley going to improve so we would probably find ourselves back in the wilderness and once that happens general revenue would probably go down worldwide. And I doubt we would even have a stadium still in progress by that point so the owners would have no reason to stick around.

I don't want it to come to that as we have some fantastic players now who deserve to lift the league trophey.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:15 am

bavlondon wrote:
bigmick wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:
bigmick wrote:To be honest barring horrific injuries I think we'll make the top four alright. Gerrard and Torres are IMHO two of the best three players in the league (Rooney being the other), and provided they play plenty of matches we'll score enough goals to be in the top three or four I think. We may even do better than that if Aquilani proves to be a top player, but we should be safe for the top four I reckon anyway.

surely Fletcher is the other, not Rooney. Don't you remember it was Fletcher missing out on the CL final that was the main reason behind Barca winning the European Cup  :D

Ah yes that's right Joe silly me  :laugh: See Ferguson called him the "outstanding player on the pitch" in the game against Arsenal. I don't think I've seen such unjustified bigging up of a player in ages, well not for a couple of hours or so anyway :laugh:

Of course you have - Rafa on Lucas in pre season.  :laugh:

If only it had stopped in pre-season.  :down:
heimdall

Postby Owzat » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:19 pm

If we did finish 5th or lower, what makes anyone think the owners would be the ones to go before Rafa?

I can just imagine it happening, we have not really struck two solid seasons together, pointswise we managed 76 (4th in 07/08) and 86 (2nd in 08/09) in consecutive seasons, placeswise we managed 3rd two seasons in a row (05/06 with 82 points and 06/07 with 68 points on GD)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:56 pm

Owzat wrote:If we did finish 5th or lower, what makes anyone think the owners would be the ones to go before Rafa?

I can just imagine it happening, we have not really struck two solid seasons together, pointswise we managed 76 (4th in 07/08) and 86 (2nd in 08/09) in consecutive seasons, placeswise we managed 3rd two seasons in a row (05/06 with 82 points and 06/07 with 68 points on GD)

I can't fathom people wishing for us to come in 5th, is this the same level of genius that wanted us to go into administration pre-season, do I hear the voice of SOS again?  :no
heimdall

Postby loopyliverpool » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:50 pm

Ditto... Your team's your team no matter what. Wishing anything but success is just plain wrong. Anyway failure to qualify for the Chapions League would surely make us a less appealing prospect to any would be suitors than if we were in it.
loopyliverpool

Postby banana » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:00 pm

Bavlondon is spot on here.

Keep up the good work.

Rafa has no chance of winning anything this year. Just admit it. And what's more;

Taking this Liverpool team with no funds into top 4 would be a major achievment. Even bigger than winning the league with Arsenal or Man C.

Alonso was the best player almost every game last season. His vision and intelligence was second to none. As far as I remember 9 players got sent off last season desperately trying to dispossess him and stop him from controlling every game. Only one or two players in world football could have replaced him.

Rafa was unfortunately not given the funds to replace him so he could:

a) buy a lesser player
b) take a major gamble on a player of similar quality with career threathening injuries

If it pays off we could finish 4. If not we are going to finish 6 to 8.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Sir Roger » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:09 pm

Owzat wrote:If we did finish 5th or lower, what makes anyone think the owners would be the ones to go before Rafa?

Rafa is a top 4 manager
Probably top 3
Is he a top 1 manager?
I dont think so, but I have every confidence we will finish in the top 4
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:48 pm

I hope so, but come next summer City will probably have one of the strongest squads in the league (that is assuming they don't go crazy again in the Jan window) so we need to be spending big too. Well I guess that was the objective this summer but that didn't quite happen as we expected it. I think Rafa will be forced out by next summer.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:54 pm

Im kinda glad we aren't spending big tho.. it will make it all the sweeter when we win the league.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:30 am

I havnt seen us play yet so im reserving my rights and saying were gonna win the league :nod
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:35 am

heimdall wrote:

I can't fathom people wishing for us to come in 5th, is this the same level of genius that wanted us to go into administration pre-season, do I hear the voice of SOS again?  :no

Either i am drunk or that is a thinly veiled comment against people that are trying to stand up for this club  ???
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:38 am

banana wrote:Rafa has no chance of winning anything this year. Just admit it. And what's more;

Taking this Liverpool team with no funds into top 4 would be a major achievment. Even bigger than winning the league with Arsenal or Man C.

:laugh:
LFC2007

Postby Owzat » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:49 am

Ben Patrick wrote:
heimdall wrote:

Either i am drunk or that is a thinly veiled comment against people that are trying to stand up for this club  ???

Beats me why he's quoting me, I didn't say I wanted us to finish 5th, I merely observed that the owners might not be the ones to go and that it could happen on the basis we seem inconsistent to say the least under Rafa - or at least have been in the past

Placings : 5th, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 2nd

We've added FIVE £17m+ signings in recent seasons, on top of other players signed for less like Kuyt, Reina, Benayoun, Agger, Skrtel etc, so we shouldn't be playing this poorly or losing at home to the likes of villa for the first time in however many games it was (17?) and only just beating a pointless pompey BOLTON side thanks to an arguably decisive red card.

And what I said about not being happy we spent near £40m on TWO players, there have been a few potentially decent signings around for less and we've been left a spent force in the transfer market - Distin, Kranjcar, Turner, Bent, Sanli to name a few we've been linked with, people on here have mentioned, or in the case of Bent, have had multiple hilarious threads with his name used, but primarily scores goals despite many not giving him much credit. I'd rather have paid spudz £20m for Bent than Keane, he's younger and I reckon a better striker
Last edited by Owzat on Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:10 am

To be honest I'd take finishing outside the top 4 if it meant we could get these two yank ba$tards out of our club.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby DrPepe » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:14 pm

Owzat wrote:Placings : 5th, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 2nd

I would argue that's pretty good evidence of consistency :idea

we've always qualified for the CL , and always got to the competitive stages 

Distin, Kranjcar, Turner, Bent, Sanli

It's all a matter of opinion of course, but how many of those have been snapped up by other big teams? suggests they've found their level ?

I'd rather have our "spent force" squad that have proven season after season that they can compete in the higher echelons of the league and in europe, than that list of mediocrity

and only just beating a pointless pompey side thanks to an arguably decisive red card.

your database is usually so reliable :blush:
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion