If the unthinkable happened - We finish outside the top 4

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:31 pm

Ciggy wrote:
Rush Job wrote:
Ciggy wrote:Part of me wants it to happen so the owners can feck rar off.

Wants what to happen cig?

That we finish outside the top 4. No 30 million golden egg to go off next years re-finance.

I must confess I have harboured similar thoughts too. But I just think of players like Carra, Stevie and Torres and it kills me to want the team to do badly even if it meant them 2 :censored: off. Even still there is no guarantee they would but then again something like that would change the business model altogether so selling the club would be very likley.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:33 pm

If we fail to reach the CL yes it may help us get rid of the owners but then again it may not there is no guarentee of that but what it would result in is player sales to help repayments and then we may well follow the leeds path in nothing - easily done and still all the while having the owners .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red H » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:45 pm

Rip it up and start again.

If you want to be really radical it could mean years in the wilderness (outside the top 4), and no guarantee of us ever coming back.
It could also make us a more sound investment for a Sugar Daddy, but I'm not sure how much I like that either.
Either way we need a Youth system that continually finds and nurtures the best there is, preferably from home, but if not from further away.  If we could create 1 or 2 first team players every year, buy in one with potential, and one class act, on a consistent basis I have no doubt with Rafa tactical acumen everything would be as it should within five years.  That is how long it would take, and I'm not sure we'd keep hold of our best in the mean time.

I don't know enough to say if there has been genuine development, or if the cracks have just been paperer over.  Financially a new stadium is a must, we will be on the second string of premier league clubs with out it before too long. Money talks, and the Yanks are too silent for my liking.  Do we have time to wait for the world economy to turn around, free up the cash, and make a stadium possible ?

I still can't imagine why anyone would want to support a club other than ours, with the traditions, and history, and fans we have.  However, without success, potential new markets and revenue streams will be eroded, further limiting our potential.  It is a dangerous time for all clubs.  Who wants to support a rich mans plaything, or a corporate brand ?  To become one of these things could be as potentially damaging, as being starved of the oxygen of success in the long run.

I think a glorious, and bloodless revolution would be preferable to the rule of tyrants, but what chance do we really have without a strong man, all we can hope for is a benign dictatorship, and some shrewd investment, on and off the pitch.
Red H

Postby Rush Job » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:47 pm

GYBS wrote:If we fail to reach the CL yes it may help us get rid of the owners but then again it may not there is no guarentee of that but what it would result in is player sales to help repayments and then we may well follow the leeds path in nothing - easily done and still all the while having the owners .

Thats my worry mate.
If we failed to get top four Hicks would still be demanding too much, I think there is more chance we would end up in administration than we would get owners willing splash enough cash to get us challenging again.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:07 pm

havent read through the thread so apologies in advance...
I see the owners mentioned though yet again and the whole maybe if we finish outside the top4 theyll sell..etc etc

If we finish outside the top 4 it'll take us forever to get back to where we are now... it'll take us a long time to get back to being a regular CL side  challenging for anything... new owners or not, unless we get some super rich arabs who are willing to spend the cash like its going out of fashion...

Our best hope is for us to have another good season and improve on the income of the club so that other potential buyers would see the potential of the club and decide to make an acceptable bid....

Missing out on the top4 would simply mean that we'll have to be stuck challenging for a UEFA cup spot year in year out... with sides like ManCity, & Tottenham spending and improving like they are, it'll propably take a good few years and huge amount of cash to get us back from potential administration and the selling of our best players...

Think people are starting to miss out on the main ssue with regards to the whole ownership thing.. End of the day its all about the club, whats best for the club and not whats worse for the owners.. By all means lets try to get rid of them but not at the expense of the clubs future on the pitch going down the drain... not for me anyways..
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:19 pm

bavlondon wrote:Although it's only 3 games in Lucas and Babel have already shown they have not improved 1 iota since last season and Dossena will probably show the same the next time he plays.

Can't we just take that as a given and not bother proving it  ???
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby loopyliverpool » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:43 pm

We'd be up the proverbial creek and lets be honest with Stevie's groin, Torres' hamstring, Aurelio and Agger (continuous maladies) it is more likely than not we are going to have to field players that we wouldn't normally consider 'first teamers'. It may be that Babel will have to come out of the shadows... Im convinced given a run in the team he will prove his worth. It might mean we have to blood some of the youngsters (this seems less likely and not Benitez's way). At the moment we are scraping by. Injuries will only expose our deficent squad and (imo) we will struggle.
loopyliverpool

Postby heimdall » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:13 pm

loopyliverpool wrote:We'd be up the proverbial creek and lets be honest with Stevie's groin, Torres' hamstring, Aurelio and Agger (continuous maladies) it is more likely than not we are going to have to field players that we wouldn't normally consider 'first teamers'. It may be that Babel will have to come out of the shadows... Im convinced given a run in the team he will prove his worth. It might mean we have to blood some of the youngsters (this seems less likely and not Benitez's way). At the moment we are scraping by. Injuries will only expose our deficent squad and (imo) we will struggle.

What convinces you that Babel will emerge from the shadows, is it his super work rate??
heimdall

Postby sully0182 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:37 am

Right, so theres a lot of people sayin we won't make it into the top 4. I don't go along with this for a second. It's gonna be the same top 4 again imo. I've gone through the main contenders for breakin into the top 4 and the reasons why I think they won't do it, enjoy!

1.Spurs won't do it cos they're lookin to Defoe for 20+ goals, its like askin Ronnie to stop the diving, just ain't gonna happen. And we know first hand crouchy and keano won't be gettin that many goals either. Also i don't feel there defence is up to it in the long term, Bassong came from Newcastle so he can't exactly be world class now can he? Ledly King and Woody are very injury prone and they're full backs leave alot to be desired.

2. Man City won't do it either although this one is harder to justify. I just feel they've got the wrong man on the touchline. Mark Hughes has never won anything as a manager and i feel that as soon as they hit a bump in the road, they'll be callin for his head. That kind of disruptiveness can really effect your season. Also i think for all the good signings they've made, letting Richard Dunne go is a huge mistake. For one he's miles better than that plank Toure and on top of that they don't have great squad players in that area of the pitch if they get a few injuries.

3. Villa will have the same problems as last season. They'll start brightly but fade towards the end due to lack of quality squad players.

4. Everton won't do it because they're naff :D
You can't just walk in here with a big banana and expect everything to be peaches...

"We see things they'll never see" - Noel Gallagher, fellow united hater
sully0182

Postby Dazzer » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:18 am

Way I see it liverpool is a great club ruled atm but a couple of tw&t$ I don't think if we went out of top 4 for a season and really put them under pressure to sell it would knock us that much we have great fans and we can always get back into the top 4.But I do feel sometimes to go forward you sometimes have to take a step back.Like all things in life it wouldn't be easy but I feel our fans , players and club could hang on and move forward if this happened.Lets face it worse has happened and we have walked on !!!  :buttrock
Dazzer
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:37 am

To be honest barring horrific injuries I think we'll make the top four alright. Gerrard and Torres are IMHO two of the best three players in the league (Rooney being the other), and provided they play plenty of matches we'll score enough goals to be in the top three or four I think. We may even do better than that if Aquilani proves to be a top player, but we should be safe for the top four I reckon anyway.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:23 am

bigmick wrote:To be honest barring horrific injuries I think we'll make the top four alright. Gerrard and Torres are IMHO two of the best three players in the league (Rooney being the other), and provided they play plenty of matches we'll score enough goals to be in the top three or four I think. We may even do better than that if Aquilani proves to be a top player, but we should be safe for the top four I reckon anyway.

surely Fletcher is the other, not Rooney. Don't you remember it was Fletcher missing out on the CL final that was the main reason behind Barca winning the European Cup  :D
JoeTerp

Postby bigmick » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:46 am

JoeTerp wrote:
bigmick wrote:To be honest barring horrific injuries I think we'll make the top four alright. Gerrard and Torres are IMHO two of the best three players in the league (Rooney being the other), and provided they play plenty of matches we'll score enough goals to be in the top three or four I think. We may even do better than that if Aquilani proves to be a top player, but we should be safe for the top four I reckon anyway.

surely Fletcher is the other, not Rooney. Don't you remember it was Fletcher missing out on the CL final that was the main reason behind Barca winning the European Cup  :D

Ah yes that's right Joe silly me  :laugh: See Ferguson called him the "outstanding player on the pitch" in the game against Arsenal. I don't think I've seen such unjustified bigging up of a player in ages, well not for a couple of hours or so anyway :laugh:
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:39 am

I agree with Ciggy that part of me wanted this to happen so that the owners can feck off. But the problem is i these two cu.nt owner will do whatever it takes to squeeze whatever he can before they eventually leave. It is very likely they will even sell Gerrard, Torres and all valuable players to squeeze all the money he wants from us. This is what I'm worried about because it's proven that there isn't a thing these two feckers wouldn't do...
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:01 am

bigmick wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:

Ah yes that's right Joe silly me  :laugh: See Ferguson called him the "outstanding player on the pitch" in the game against Arsenal. I don't think I've seen such unjustified bigging up of a player in ages, well not for a couple of hours or so anyway :laugh:

Of course you have - Rafa on Lucas in pre season.  :laugh:
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion