I've slagged him off many times, but.... - I'm glad rafael benitez is our manager.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:31 am

Not because he's stopped the syling although it obviously helps. It's not even because we resorted to a brand of football in the second half of the season which was the most attractive I had seen Liverpool play for 20 years. Ultimately, it's not anything to do with football really, although Rafa is obviously a good manager.

No, the reason why I'm glad that Rafa is the manager is because broadly speaking I trust him. I do think he's more than capable of fecking things up, and I also think he's capable of signing the odd sh!t player. Ultimately though, I think he has the best interests of the club at heart. I think he is a decent man (certainly compared to the yanks, mind you so is Peter Sutcliffe).

The press are speculating whether he'll say "enough" and walk away, but I am 100% confident that no matter what happens he won't do that. In a situation which is dominated by vagabonds and thieves, he is reassuringly normal. I'm glad he's our manager.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:37 am

Makes me another aswel.. I had lost faith in him during the keane fiasco and some odd decisions at times. His input faith within the fans and we firmly believe we are going on the right lane. For once the realistic fans feel this could be our time.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:52 am

I'm not even talking from a football point of view though Maxie, although obviously he has got us going in the right direction now well and truly. I'm more about his trustworthiness, honesty and stubborness. He strikes me as the kind of bloke who lives down your street who you don't see much of, but then when the council plan to build a shopping centre at the end of your road launches a one man campaign to get it turned over. You know the thing, letters galore, notices in the paper, sandwich boards with "feck off council" on them, that sort of thing.   

He's definately one of them blokes who's better on the inside of the tent p!ssing out I reckon than vice-versa. Though I will be before too long no doubt thoroughly slagging him off for some inane football reason or another, I'm glad we've got someone managing the team who you can at least look in the eye and know he's not just a lying c...  In this sense of course he is very different from Hicks and Gillete.
Last edited by bigmick on Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:55 am

bigmick wrote:I'm glad we've got someone managing the team who you can at least look in the eye and know he's not just a lying c...  In this sense of course he is very different from Hicks and Gillete.

well mick he is very liberal with the truth when it suits him, telling us he did not want to sell keane was a whopper that only the most foolish would believe
112-1077774096

Postby bigmick » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:05 am

Yes I know mate but they all do that. I think even in that circumstance he was telling a little porkie in order to give himself a chance of getting more for the player. As you say, nobody believed him anyway but at least he appeared to be doing what he did for the good of the club. As it is, we still lost 8 million quid on the whole episode but at least he tried his best to minimise the losses if nothing else.

He is by no means perfect, the advising Kuyt not to sign a contract until he'd renegotiated his own left a bad taste in the mouth, but I'd trust him more than I'd trust Gillett and Hicks anyday.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:07 am

Well said and totally get your point. Rafa work in a complete unique way which is different of coure to people like hicks and gillete. Seems like those to really don't give a flying feck and would love to get out of the mess they are in. Rafa is the type of guy who tends to shoot out an issue irregardless of who the individual is. His ability to change situations is another great quality of his. At times rafa mesmerizes us all and we think if only he had been since evans. Anyhow rafa is a top bloke one that i respect.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:13 am

Its was great to read the recent Sammy Lee interview (of which I cant find now) where he states just how happy he is that Rafa is our manager.

Rafa is an honest, loyal manager who has brought us moderate success. He could become one of our great managers if he brings us a title or three in the next five years or so. Despite the dim outlook on our financial status, there is still optimism. Lets hope that he gets us those titles.
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:26 am

bigmick wrote:Yes I know mate but they all do that. I think even in that circumstance he was telling a little porkie in order to give himself a chance of getting more for the player. As you say, nobody believed him anyway but at least he appeared to be doing what he did for the good of the club. As it is, we still lost 8 million quid on the whole episode but at least he tried his best to minimise the losses if nothing else.

He is by no means perfect, the advising Kuyt not to sign a contract until he'd renegotiated his own left a bad taste in the mouth, but I'd trust him more than I'd trust Gillett and Hicks anyday.

He also managed to keep a straight face when he said "kuyt is always likely to score you goals"

:D
112-1077774096

Postby ConnO'var » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:40 am

I disagree Mick.

I'm sure he's a nice bloke and all that.
But being a manager of a football club is not about being a nice bloke. It's about bringing the club forward, doing well performance wise, securing the future of the club through development of youngsters etc etc. All the time conducting oneself with dignity and not bringing the club into disrepute by dragging our going ons through the press.

Once upon a time I was very happy when we signed him..... but I have since lost faith in his methodsand more importantly in the man himself. In my opinion, he's improved us as far as he can..... and the time is ripe for a change. Unfortunately, as a club, we cannot afford it, in both time and finances.
ConnO'var

Postby bigmick » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:08 am

From a football point of view Conn, I've got much sympathy with your point of view. I do think though that finally, belatedly, after five long seasons we've finally got the hang of the two main areas we were letting ourselves majorly down in and as scuh I am more confident going forward. That we hopefully won't be making 75 changes to the team in the first fifteen matches next season, nor trying to convince ourselves that a draw at Home with Hull is a decent result makes me more confident that we can at last beging to realise our potential from a footballing viewpoint.

As I say though, I'm glad he's our manager precisely because he's a nice enough bloke. there is a bit of a lack of those around Anfield at the moment.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:39 am

:laugh:
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:43 am

kazza wrote: :laugh:

Dear oh dear. Sensible post by your standards though, nice one.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:49 am

Good post.

Just be a little patient next time... nah i'm just kidding :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby teamleader1 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:14 am

bigmick wrote:Not because he's stopped the syling although it obviously helps. It's not even because we resorted to a brand of football in the second half of the season which was the most attractive I had seen Liverpool play for 20 years. Ultimately, it's not anything to do with football really, although Rafa is obviously a good manager.

No, the reason why I'm glad that Rafa is the manager is because broadly speaking I trust him. I do think he's more than capable of fecking things up, and I also think he's capable of signing the odd sh!t player. Ultimately though, I think he has the best interests of the club at heart. I think he is a decent man (certainly compared to the yanks, mind you so is Peter Sutcliffe).

The press are speculating whether he'll say "enough" and walk away, but I am 100% confident that no matter what happens he won't do that. In a situation which is dominated by vagabonds and thieves, he is reassuringly normal. I'm glad he's our manager.

Sums me up as well

No doubt he will continue to drive me around the fkn bend with his crazy line ups a few times a season  :p
And I will over react in the heat of the moment  :veryangry

But in the cold light of day when the red mist has cleared I think about what state would we be in if Rafa had walked?

These pair of c**** would have destroyed our club, so we have a lot to thank Rafa for and lets hope he can sail the ship through the latest storm and lift the title next season  :D
teamleader1

Postby DrPepe » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:35 am

You have to respect the fella , because if he was a lesser man we would have jurgen klinsman as our coach right now :laugh:
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion