I've slagged him off many times, but.... - I'm glad rafael benitez is our manager.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:46 am

Yes that was a strange comment Doc about Arsenals' title winning side. They had Seaman who retired, Campbell who practically has, Keown who has, the right back who's name escapes me who has, Cashley Cole who wanted to leave, Patrick Viera etc etc. My point wasn't really that they'd dismantled the team by choice, but that for whatever reason they had a team today which didn't have a single player in it from the "invincible" line-up. We on the other hand have had the services of Carragher and Gerrard for free throughout Rafa's era, and I can't help thinking our "net spend" would be a wee bit higher if we'd have had to sign Steven Gerrard from anyone.

Whichever way you look at it though, we really ought to be trying to win trophies otherwise what's the point? We're not Birmingham or Everton, we're Liverpool and Liverpool managers are expected to win trophies. There's no question we've improved as a team, but for the last couple of seasons we haven't reached a final nor gone particularly close. If we don't in the not too far away future, at some point the spotlight will turn on the manager. Next season probably is a big one for him.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:06 am

peewee wrote:
aCe' wrote:
DrPepe wrote:
It's all very well people pointing at Wenger and saying "well he hasn't won anything either", (which of course he hasn't in the same period) but he has got a history of winning things in the Premiership with quite good teams. Not only that, but while we maybe have a case for being slightly outspent by Chelsea and the Mancs, we have certainly outspent Arsenal comfortably. This despite the fact that they have dismantled a fantastic football team in its entirity from only four or five seasons ago.

Finances, finances...

Its not really that clean cut that the gooners have spent any less than us.

Remember their wage bill is tens of millions more than ours every year

And you think they deserve credit for f ucking up a title winning side? ("dismantling", as you put it)

:O  :O  :O 

yeah lets get our last title winning side back   :D  and their wage bill is more because they can probably afford it with that spanking new stadium and their higher admission prices, although that said I don't think our players do too badly on the wages front

:p

Actually I wouldn't say "arsenals' wage bill is higher than us EVERY YEAR"...as its only recently they are giving better long term deals to their talented youngsters (and they do have loads of them).

http://www.worldsoccer.com/news....23.html

Top wage bills

Chelsea - £114m
Manchester Utd - £85m
Arsenal - £83m
Liverpool - £69m
Newcastle Utd - £52m
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:11 am

Its been higher for at least 3 years fella, according to the deloitte analysis
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby DrPepe » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:16 am

The point I was trying :D to make mick, is that the gooners have restructured their whole title side into a side that finishes without winning stuff (for 4+ years) , and we've done similar from an inferior position by spending similar money - and our curent team is "better" arguably
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:44 am

He may be a little fast to comment on matters and the media usually blow it out of proportion but he's a class manager who wants the best for the club , he won't leave us in this crisis which you could have bet mourinho , hughes would for their respective clubs , instead rafa does the best he can with what is available to him
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion