Rafael benitez - Contender for manager of the year?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Nando » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:58 pm

over the years the manager of the year simply goes to who won the premiership, i honestly feel rafa benitez should be in the top 3, what he has achieved during this injury ravaged season has been nothing short of phenomenal

we have been ridiculed and ruled out before the matches of olympiakos, the legs against leverkusen and juve last night but we have registered 4 wins scoring 11 conceding 4, he has taken us to the carling cup final in his first season and those snotty nosed £200 million assembled team couldnt score against us and needed an almighty deflection to take us into extra time

he has gotten the best out of players deemed worthless by his predecessor and the football world alike, he has salvaged hamaan and regalvanised biscan, riise, finnan, traore, pongolle and the newest addition seems to be le tallec, his signings have turned out great and only josemi has disappointed but the lad has hardly played the last few weeks due to an injury

in the modern era of managers taking centre stage he has always taken the gentleman route, he has never involved himself in the referee of offside debacle and always kept himself to himself, he hasnt criticised referres outright but might have been bitter about a few decisions like boro away in november or december i think it was

the fans love him as his exploits show in the bar in germany and how down to earth he is rather than mr mourinho, how im glad we got benitez rather than him, coud jose do wat rafa has done wivout resorting to the dirty tactics of porto last season?

i plead with the FA the PFA the LMA the AA whoever it is that decides the manager of the year award, please dont ignore our rafa,
Nando
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolFan00 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:14 pm

Definetly in the top 3 managers. I personally rate him No 1 after all he has had to put up with this seaon. He has done an unbelieveanle job.

However i can't see him being awarded Manager of the Year.
It will definetly much as i hate to say it go to Mourihnio. with Wegner and Ferguson there as well.
Some people think football is a matter of life or death but it's far more important than that. - Bill Shankley

A Well Balanced Soccer Player Has A Beer In Each Hand!
LiverpoolFan00
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:18 pm

Hate to say it but Moyes would get my vote. Just take a moment to look at the B.S teamsheet. It's shocking - How they are up in 4th (only for a few more days mind) is beyond me.

Of course when we win the Champs league Rafa can rightly take the honour :D
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:20 pm

Nando wrote:over the years the manager of the year simply goes to who won the premiership, i honestly feel rafa benitez should be in the top 3, what he has achieved during this injury ravaged season has been nothing short of phenomenal

we have been ridiculed and ruled out before the matches of olympiakos, the legs against leverkusen and juve last night but we have registered 4 wins scoring 11 conceding 4, he has taken us to the carling cup final in his first season and those snotty nosed £200 million assembled team couldnt score against us and needed an almighty deflection to take us into extra time

he has gotten the best out of players deemed worthless by his predecessor and the football world alike, he has salvaged hamaan and regalvanised biscan, riise, finnan, traore, pongolle and the newest addition seems to be le tallec, his signings have turned out great and only josemi has disappointed but the lad has hardly played the last few weeks due to an injury

in the modern era of managers taking centre stage he has always taken the gentleman route, he has never involved himself in the referee of offside debacle and always kept himself to himself, he hasnt criticised referres outright but might have been bitter about a few decisions like boro away in november or december i think it was

the fans love him as his exploits show in the bar in germany and how down to earth he is rather than mr mourinho, how im glad we got benitez rather than him, coud jose do wat rafa has done wivout resorting to the dirty tactics of porto last season?

i plead with the FA the PFA the LMA the AA whoever it is that decides the manager of the year award, please dont ignore our rafa,

of course mourihno will win it, although if you ask me, benitez, moyes, allardyce have done just as well as him if not better. also, if bryan robson keeps west brom up (after they were bottom at christmas) then he deserves it imo.

unfortunately, the southern press will make sure mourihno wins it. the same way they always pick a london based player for the pfa player of the year. :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Woollyback » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:24 pm

I stopped buying newspapers about a year ago and find life more satisfying without them. I can now decide what angle or spin I want to put on a story myself, without a southern-centric interfering, glory-seeking slimeball editor doing it for me :)
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:28 pm

Hate to say it but Moyes would get my vote. Just take a moment to look at the B.S teamsheet. It's shocking - How they are up in 4th (only for a few more days mind) is beyond me.

pains me to say it but i agree.... :glare:

on paper Everton should be 4th from bottom!
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:32 pm

This is a futile discussion anyway, its plainly obvious it'll go to Mourinho and his new media darlings
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:34 pm

Woollyback wrote:This is a futile discussion anyway

ooh look at you with your fancy words :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:41 pm

stmichael wrote:
Woollyback wrote:This is a futile discussion anyway

ooh look at you with your fancy words :D

:laugh:

Forsooth Mr Wool, kindly cease participating in the fluctuation of the afformentioned comment
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:56 pm

Welcome to dictionary corner
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:31 pm

Mourinho is of course a certainty but I side with the previous guys who've highlighted Moyes and Allardyce. Moyes has done unbelieveably well on a shoestring at Everton. Ultimately however I suspect the reluctant sale of Thomas Graveson has done for them and reckon they may end up in a dogfight for a UEFA place.
Allardyce's success at Bolton over the last few years is nothing short of staggering. I know he annoyed us all with his comments before the game on Saturday (though in fairness Rafa uncharacteristically didn't cover himself in glory either) but I for one think he deserves to win the award. Even the 6 million Everton paid for Beattie is way out of Boltons league and despite this, I think they'll be the team who push us all the way for fourth. Anyone who thinks that the body-blow we inflicted upon them on Saturday means they are out of it is sadly mistaken I think.
An incredible performance by Allardyce. I love Rafa and think he's a genius but there's time for him, give him it when we win the Premiership. This year, give it to the butcher boy, he deserves it.
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the return of HAS » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:15 pm

If Crystal Palace surive I think that Ian Dowie must be a contender. Palace's budget is probarbly the lowest in the Premership they still have finacial problems. With the squad that Dowie has at his disposal it is amazing that they are still in with a real shout to stay up.

O.K they do have Johnson and Routledge but he has managed to get the best out of them at a higher level. He imay not be the most fashionable but he is a man who has a lot of dignity and honesty.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:24 pm

.. if we win the CL he'll certainly be in contention.. as others have said the award tends to go the Manager who wins the league.. and is well deserved on that front.. perhaps it's time for another type of award which recognises other forms of managerial acheivements or indeed the miracles perfromed by some managers with small budgets or those simply skint ..

1) Most improved team of the season
2) Cup team of the season
3) Fan's team of the season and...
4) Hunkiest Team of the Season .. lol u know that one was comin ay :D
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:30 pm

if - and i'm finally beginnning to have a little feeling it could be when - we win the CL the manager award cannot go to anyone but our man RB.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:33 pm

Wonder if big fat head Sam thinks hes better than us now :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion