Rafael benitez

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:39 am

Folks, if we don't win the CL this year, we finish a season without silverware. Simply not good enough, and don't count yer chickens etc...
It's far from a done deal that we'll win the CL to begin with. Great that we're in the semi-final but take those rose-tinted glasses off for another few weeks if ye don't mind...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby maguskwt » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:45 am

bunglemark2 wrote:Folks, if we don't win the CL this year, we finish a season without silverware. Simply not good enough, and don't count yer chickens etc...
It's far from a done deal that we'll win the CL to begin with. Great that we're in the semi-final but take those rose-tinted glasses off for another few weeks if ye don't mind...

people on here just enjoying the win... nothing wrong with that... I'm sure we'll get serious again next week...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:28 am

Nanny I'm gonna shock you, I'm happy again, I think this is a record, three times in a week :D . What a win, what a match, what a team.................but what a weird formation from Rafa, come on before Sami scored how many of you were really worried that it was all going to go wrong in this match becuase I know I was.
Do you guys think it was the switch to 4-4-2 that won us that game becuase I think without it it would have been a much easier game for us, I just couldn't work out the logic of it, but at least Rafa didn't bring on that striking legend that is Voronin :p

Having said all that I have to praise Rafa for the continuing European success, when it comes to Europe he is one lucky manager but also normally a very good one, but I think he got it wrong last night tactically but was saved by the players.
heimdall

Postby LittleHobo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:41 am

so lets get down to the nitty gritty now

has rafa brought himself another few years as manager?

if we finish 4th and not win the champs league should he stay?

i think yes, give him money, let him hopefully bring in wingers and a top class support striker like augeuro etc
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:43 am

heimdall wrote:Nanny I'm gonna shock you, I'm happy again, I think this is a record, three times in a week :D . What a win, what a match, what a team.................but what a weird formation from Rafa, come on before Sami scored how many of you were really worried that it was all going to go wrong in this match becuase I know I was.
Do you guys think it was the switch to 4-4-2 that won us that game becuase I think without it it would have been a much easier game for us, I just couldn't work out the logic of it, but at least Rafa didn't bring on that striking legend that is Voronin :p

Having said all that I have to praise Rafa for the continuing European success, when it comes to Europe he is one lucky manager but also normally a very good one, but I think he got it wrong last night tactically but was saved by the players.

Listen i know i said i loved even you last night in the match thread but today is another day Im made up your happy though :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:51 am

LittleHobo wrote:so lets get down to the nitty gritty now

has rafa brought himself another few years as manager?

if we finish 4th and not win the champs league should he stay?

i think yes, give him money, let him hopefully bring in wingers and a top class support striker like augeuro etc

If he promises to stop the silly over rotation cr@p then he can have one more season but if not then I want someone else, but still retaining rafa as a special consultant for European games  :D
heimdall

Postby stmichael » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:54 am

As for the discrepancy between league and CL form, there's a good debate to be had there. Most of it has been done, with the salient points already mentioned in this thread.

My view is that Rafa is up against one of the best ever managers in Fergie (much as I don't like him, this is true), who presides over a very rich and powerful club. He has been there over 20 years. That's hard to overturn overnight, though you can bet there are aspects of Rafa's record which rankle Fergie, not least his European record.

Rafa is also up against a financially doped, unprecedented situation down at Stamford Bridge.

Finally, he is up against another top manager who has had well over a decade to develop his project and footballing vision at his club.

In my view Rafa has taken a huge step to the good this past season or so, both in terms of system and signings. 4-2-3-1 seems to really suit our players, and since we've come into this things have taken a big upturn. Signings have also been encouraging. Torres, Mashcerano, Skrtel - three first teamers there. Babel and Lucas are there or thereabouts, but they clearly have futures at the club and we wait to see how good they will become. If Rafa keeps up with this sort of transfer strategy then we'll be in the mix for the league before too long.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:53 pm

three semi finals in the european cup is a great achievement no matter how many years it takes, but to do it within four years is fantastic. The arguements about the league form are there for all to see, but right now lets just be happy that the european cup is on it's way again. (fingers crossed)
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby LittleHobo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:54 pm

you say skertl is first teamer but when agger is back who plays at centre back in your opinion?
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:08 pm

Rafa signed Agger too though, so his point is the same

Also say what you will about Kuyt's quality, I know I usually do, but Rafa is getting his money's worth (or at least nearly enough) out him. HE plays all the time now and is a key member of the starting XI.  SInce the Jan window in 2006 (when we got Agger) his signing record has been really stellar, (and before that he brought in Reina, Alonso, Garcia). The only "flops" being Bellamy (who he sold immediately for profit), Pennant (who had an excellent 2nd half of his first season, and hasn't really recovered from being injured for that long spell at the beginning of this year and on top of it he doesn't fit in the 4-2-3-1), and Aurelio might have just been a bit below expectations but is still coming along nicely.
JoeTerp

Postby Espionage » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:59 pm

^ Also Aurelio was a free
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:03 pm

Great Manager - we'll be challenging for the league next season !

Where's big sam yeh !!! ???
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Seano Kop » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:09 pm

LittleHobo wrote:you say skertl is first teamer but when agger is back who plays at centre back in your opinion?

It's a good problem to have isnt it? Carragher, Agger, Skrtl and Hyypia fighting for two spots (maybe 3)..

No idea who I would pick. I'd hate to be selecting the side.
Seano Kop

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:51 pm

I've just been thinking...why is it "Benitez has lead us to 3 semi finals in four years" but "the players lost to Barnsley" Isn't it the same set of players and same manager?
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:02 am

:kungfu:
LFC2007

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion