FABIO AURELIO - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:57 pm

One of the most gifted players we have (imo), but his "fragility" is a major concern. Don't see a long term future for him at any club that demands high performance week in week out.

Having said that I'd take a fit Aurellio over Insua any day of the week.

IMO the left back spot is a festering problem.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:18 pm

Sometimes when the discussions on here become about the manager, I think people don't argue the point from a "pro" point of view with much imagination. Some of the excuses which are thrown up are implausible, but on other occasions such as this one, they don't seem to cotton on to a situation where in my view anyway the manager is being put in a ridiculous situation by the financial outlook at the club.

Aurelio is 30 years old, and an absolutely top class left back. The "back up" for him is an inexperienced kid who at best has some learning to do before he becomes a top player, and at worst is short of top class (I actually think he is and will remain merely decent). Now we know Aurelio has had injuries, in Rafa's words he's been "unlucky", but the nature of his injuries suggest he must have a more than even chance of having a sustained run in the team. By that, I mean it's not a recurring knee injury, or a back injury that just won't clear up. He's had lots of little niggling knocks, and there must be a good chance he'll get some luck soon.

The problem is of course he very likely won't sign a "pay as you play" deal, why should he? If he doesn't, somebody else will offer him a "pay whether or not you play" deal and he'd be crazy to turn it down PARTICULARLY WITH HIS INJURY RECORD. Not only that, but you lose him for nothing. You end up having to shell out for a left back (and I have one word to say on that connundrum-Dossena) needlessly.

Back the manager, offer Aurelio a three year deal with the option of an extension. If he continues to get injuries, sell him on for 3-4 million and get your money back. Simple.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:25 pm

bigmick wrote:Back the manager, offer Aurelio a three year deal with the option of an extension. If he continues to get injuries, sell him on for 3-4 million and get your money back. Simple.

You'll never get a club offering 3-4 million for Aurelio with his injury record and the wrong side of 30, not in a month of sundays mate.

If he won't take the pay-as-you play (which he won't), then I'd offer him a year's extension to his deal.  If he won't take that then fe.ck him.  A good player's only good if he's on the field.  Aurelio rarely is.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:30 pm

I think this highlights the problem with injury prone players. We sign Degan on a free because his old club are hesitant to give a contract to an oft injured player, and now risk losing Aurelio (just as Valencia did) because he is an oft injured player, but one that a number of clubs won't hesitate to sign.

When money is tight it just exacerbates these decisions, but maybe a solution would be a one year rolling contract rather than a three year deal? I think Arsenal and the mancs have a policy of no long term deals for players over 30, but not sure how they deal with injury prone players...... maybe we will find out with Owen   :D
account deleted by request

Postby bigmick » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:30 pm

I don't agree on the transfer valuation John, I really do think he is top quality when fit. Yes he's had his injury problems (and some) but if he was ever present he'd be a 6 or 7 million pound left-back for me. He's different class to the Pascal Chimbonda's, Leighton Baines's and Essou Eccotto's of this World. Might not be an Ashley Cole or an Evra quite, but there aren't that many more who are better than him I don't think.

I can't help thinking as well that he's capable of a good deal better than he's shown so far. I really like him as a footballer and always have.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:34 pm

He's a good player, but 30 and relatively injury prone. That should equal a one year extension in my book (certainly no more than two).
LFC2007

Postby JC_81 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:36 pm

bigmick wrote:I don't agree on the transfer valuation John, I really do think he is top quality when fit. Yes he's had his injury problems (and some) but if he was ever present he'd be a 6 or 7 million pound left-back for me. He's different class to the Pascal Chimbonda's, Leighton Baines's and Essou Eccotto's of this World. Might not be an Ashley Cole or an Evra quite, but there aren't that many more who are better than him I don't think.

I can't help thinking as well that he's capable of a good deal better than he's shown so far. I really like him as a footballer and always have.

I like him as a footballer too mate.  I don't like injury prone players though, don't see the point in having them unless they're absolute top class - like maybe Gerrard and Torres if you class them as injury prone these days (I would).

I'll broaden the debate and say I'd get rid of Agger too.  I also like him as a footballer, but he's rarely fit, and centre back is an area where you need continuity.

I just hope a year down the line I'm not saying the same thing about Aquilani too.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:42 pm

john craig wrote:
bigmick wrote:I don't agree on the transfer valuation John, I really do think he is top quality when fit. Yes he's had his injury problems (and some) but if he was ever present he'd be a 6 or 7 million pound left-back for me. He's different class to the Pascal Chimbonda's, Leighton Baines's and Essou Eccotto's of this World. Might not be an Ashley Cole or an Evra quite, but there aren't that many more who are better than him I don't think.

I like him as a footballer too mate.  I don't like injury prone players though, don't see the point in having them unless they're absolute top class - like maybe Gerrard and Torres if you class them as injury prone these days (I would).

I'll broaden the debate and say I'd get rid of Agger too.  I also like him as a footballer, but he's rarely fit, and centre back is an area where you need continuity.

I just hope a year down the line I'm not saying the same thing about Aquilani too.

Ouch John. Agger ? I understand were you are coming from mate, but I would rather sell Skrtel or Carra than Agger.

I know he is more of a gamble with his fitness than either but he is young has an abundance of talent and presumably we have seen an end to his foot problems ..... if not his back problems. 

Certainly one worth the gamble imo.
account deleted by request

Postby JC_81 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:30 pm

s@int wrote:Ouch John. Agger ? I understand were you are coming from mate, but I would rather sell Skrtel or Carra than Agger.

I know he is more of a gamble with his fitness than either but he is young has an abundance of talent and presumably we have seen an end to his foot problems ..... if not his back problems. 

Certainly one worth the gamble imo.

At the present time mate I'd say Agger is probably our best and most reliable centre back, but how many games has he played this season?  How many games did he play last season?

This back problem is longstanding and still hasn't been sorted.  If he's injury prone in his early 20's then what state is his body going to be in by the time he's late 20's/ early 30's when he should be at his peak as a centre half?  Definitely not worth the gamble imo, and definitely not worth the big contract we've just given him.

Skrtel isn't great and Carra is in decline, but pair either of them with a top class centre half every week and they'd do a decent job.  Agger isn't quite top class and isn't going to play every week.  Personally I'd have sold him to Milan and brought in someone else.  Who?  Not sure.

From now til the end of the season though, how well we do will depend a lot on Agger's fitness, it's no coincidence we've kept consecutive clean sheets with him back in the side.  I'll guarantee you he'll be injured again by Christmas though.

Ultimately though, the defence will need major surgery over the next few years as I don't think the planned successors to Carra/Hyypia (Skrtel/Agger) are going to do.  The left back situation needs looking at too, which brings us back to Aurelio.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rocky29 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:18 pm

over rated should get fabio grosso best left back for years for me
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby leep33 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:33 am

It is a shame he has been injured so often as he is a good player, i cannot see us offering him a new contract.
leep33

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:38 pm

i've noticed on this thread that people say we signed him on a free. We didn't.

We paid 3.5 million to PSG, because he had already agreed to join them from Valencia.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue May 25, 2010 9:46 am

SSN ticker says hes left, wont accept the new terms in his contract, pay as you play.
He was better than Insua but we need someone who is in the side more than out of it.

On the offal now.

Rafael Benitez today hailed the 'fantastic service' offered by Fabio Aurelio over the last four years as he revealed the Brazilian would leave Anfield this summer.

Aurelio's contract expires next week and no new deal has been agreed.

Benitez admitted the left-back - who signed on a free from Valencia in 2006 - would be a big loss next term.

"Fabio's contract is nearly finished and he is going to leave us," said Benitez.

"We had been trying to work something out with regards an extension but it was a pity that we couldn't. He has given us absolutely fantastic service.

"Fabio is a top professional, a great player and a really good lad. I mean every single word I say about him.

"It has been a pleasure having him here and we really will miss him"

Having worked with Benitez during his six years at the Mestalla, Aurelio joined Liverpool on the back of our 2006 FA Cup triumph.

He made his debut as a substitute in the Community Shield victory over Chelsea, though the full-back's season was ended prematurely when he ruptured his Achilles' tendon during a Champions League quarter-final win over PSV.

Such dreadful luck marred Aurelio's first two seasons in England, though it was plain to see when he did feature that here was a technically gifted player capable of achieving great things at Anfield.

It was not until the sustained title charge of 2008-09 that Kopites got to see what their No.12 could do on a regular basis. His free-kick past Edwin van der Sar in a 4-1 triumph at Old Trafford will live long in the memory, while Petr Cech also fell victim to Aurelio's deadly left foot in an ill-fated Champions League quarter-final with Chelsea.

Sadly, injury concerns again reared their head throughout 2009-10.

"The one problem we had with Fabio was that he suffered too many injuries and it was such a pity because he has great quality," said Benitez.

"When he was in the team, we were always able to play the ball out from the back and keep it because he uses possession so well.

"With Fabio being out so much, it meant that we had to use Emiliano Insua more than we would have liked and that was not easy for him.

"You can say things about players. But with Fabio, you are talking about an amazing person who gave 100 per cent all the time. We wish him all the best."
Last edited by Ciggy on Tue May 25, 2010 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Waldo » Tue May 25, 2010 9:49 am

Better off without him. OK, he's a decent enough player but is injured more than he plays..
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Tue May 25, 2010 9:53 am

He will always remain a cult figure for his part in the 4-1 at OT. We need someone who isn't as injury prone though.

All the best Fabio.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion