Fabio aurelio and the left back slot.... - What would you do?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redhayesy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:44 pm

The_Rock wrote:Going against the tide here....but if we are ever gonna dominate the premier league and europe (Like the late 70s and 80s)...we need to have better world class players in our team. Auerlio is good..no doubt about it. But is he as good as Cole ? or Evra ? or Clichy ? 

Its quite unbelievable... Our central positions are up there among the best... but our wing players are bring down the average...

We got rid of kewell (who still is the best LW to play under benitez)...i see no issues of getting rid of Auerlio. I haven't even seen him play 5 games on the trot.

We could make a tidy profit on Auerlio.... Then add dossena in the mix and we should have about 10 million pounds to buy a pacy leftback.

it's my birthday mate please don't spoil it by mentioning dossena.  :D
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:13 pm

metalhead wrote:Sabre, I think Insua has the mentality and the ability to play constantly for 3 or 6 months, if Aurelio gets injured.

Here I'll take your word as good, because I don't know him well enough. I've seen some mistakes normal in youth, but some of yous have seen playing more in the ressies.

Perhaps it's the time to give him confidence when Aurelio is not available.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:08 am

For me it’s pretty straightforward. Aurelio is a good left back who should be first choice but he is almost guaranteed to miss half the season due to injuries. Insua is a promising young left back who has shown he is not out of his depth in the Premier League but will make some mistakes. He needs to play games to improve.

We can rely on Aurelio and Insua for 20-30 games each a season which works out perfectly. If we really get into a bind we can play Arbeloa at left back.

I think everyone agrees that Dossena should be sold ASAP.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:16 am

The_Rock wrote:Going against the tide here....but if we are ever gonna dominate the premier league and europe (Like the late 70s and 80s)...we need to have better world class players in our team. Auerlio is good..no doubt about it. But is he as good as Cole ? or Evra ? or Clichy ? 

Its quite unbelievable... Our central positions are up there among the best... but our wing players are bring down the average...

We got rid of kewell (who still is the best LW to play under benitez)...i see no issues of getting rid of Auerlio. I haven't even seen him play 5 games on the trot.

We could make a tidy profit on Auerlio.... Then add dossena in the mix and we should have about 10 million pounds to buy a pacy leftback.

Aurelio is certainly a better left back than Clichy and apart from pace and mobility Aurelio is at least equal with Cole in most other departments. Evra is the best left back in the country and was a great buy.

Pace and stamina does not automatically make a full back a good player. Cole has been found out at Chelsea when he was asked to play a more technical, tactical and patient game. His first touch is often poor, his right foot is only for standing on, his passing is average and his crossing inconsistent.

Aurelio is a very good left back who uses the ball well and knows how to defend properly. He can also cross and take freekicks and corners. The only problem is that throughout his career he has had injury problems. I think he would have been one of the top left backs in Europe by now had he been more durable.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:23 am

Cool Hand Luke wrote:Aurelio is certainly a better left back than Clichy and apart from pace and mobility Aurelio is at least equal with Cole in most other departments. ........

My take...if you do a search on the top leftbacks in the world..... more often than not...you will find Clichy, Cole & Evra in the list..but not Auerlio.

But even if he is as good as the above 3....it does not make much impact to our team when he is injured 3 quarters of the time....
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:44 am

The_Rock wrote:I haven't even seen him play 5 games on the trot.

Apart from Gerrard, Reina and Carra, we don't see anyone playing 5 games on the trot under Benitez.  :D
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:58 am

Insua looked good against sunderland
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:06 am

The_Rock wrote:
Cool Hand Luke wrote:Aurelio is certainly a better left back than Clichy and apart from pace and mobility Aurelio is at least equal with Cole in most other departments. ........

My take...if you do a search on the top leftbacks in the world..... more often than not...you will find Clichy, Cole & Evra in the list..but not Auerlio.

But even if he is as good as the above 3....it does not make much impact to our team when he is injured 3 quarters of the time....

Do a search on the top leftbacks in the world? This is not champ manager. You watch a player play and you make a judgement.

I agree on the injury front though and thats why we should be investing in Insua.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion