Interview with fabio aurelio - Q&a

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:34 am

this insight into Fabio Aurelio conducted over the weekend with 'champions' league magazine:  One of our players who little has been seen/spoken of enough to gain any full assumptions yet. When he has played he looks to have had some difficulties settling in, that will obviously need ironing out, but nonetheless understandable.  In any event its nice to catch up with some of his opinions, perhaps the article raises some of your thoughts about the lad.  in my own opinion, from what ive seen of him over in spain, he certainly reflects a piece of shrewd business, given his age/ability in todays inflated market....how he eventually fares at Anfield and the english game in general, will remain to be seen. though it will be a challenge for him to cement a regular place in the side. (whats new there!)  Still, here are some of his thoughts on early life at Liverpool.

Aurélio accepts Anfield task

There are few greater football names than Brazil or Liverpool FC. And this summer the two were finally united when Fábio Aurélio became the first Brazilian to sign for the Anfield club, reunited with his former Valencia CF coach Rafael Benítez. Although injury has restricted his role in their UEFA Champions League campaign, the 27-year-old São Paulo FC product has plenty of experience to bring, not least from winning the UEFA Cup and two Spanish titles. But, as he reveals in the latest edition of Champions magazine, he is relishing adapting to the English game.

.........................................................................................

How are you enjoying the Premiership?

The atmosphere seems unbelievable at big matches in England, especially in such harsh weather conditions. I was really pleased that it was quite warm when I first arrived in Liverpool. I know a Brazilian journalist who once lived here and he keeps telling me, with an evil laugh, "Wait until the end of the year, Fábio!"

Which part of your game would you most like to improve in England?

I am looking forward to improving my defensive duties. Being a Brazilian full-back, I'm keen on bombing forward, but I am aware that if I want to succeed in the Premiership it will be important to defend consistently well too. Besides, more and more nowadays football is demanding all-round players, which is why I think the opportunity to play in England will help my game a lot.

Have you ever watched a player and tried to copy what they did?

Leonardo was the player I observed closest when I was growing up at São Paulo FC and I tried to emulate him as best I could. He is a perfect example of both a professional and a person in my opinion. He's got a [FIFA] World Cup winner's medal and has been part of some amazing charity projects. As a youngster I used to talk a lot to him and he gave me important advice about moving abroad. He was the ideal person to talk to because he also played for Valencia ... and he was a left-back as well.

What's the most distinctive aspect of your game?

I would say my crosses and free-kicks, probably. I'd also like to think I am pretty adaptable. I am lucky to be able to play both as a left-back and as a left midfielder, and that was something that Rafa Benítez varied quite a lot during his time with me when he was in charge at Valencia. He has shown a lot of faith in me by bringing me to Anfield so it's a big challenge, but I am really up for it, which is why it's frustrating to pick up niggly injuries and then not be available for a few games.

How do you think playing in the UEFA Champions League has changed, if at all?

Things are getting more and more tactical and physical, that's for sure. I'd say [FC] Barcelona are perhaps the only club team who still don't depend too much on fighting spirit and small details like dead-ball situations to win a match. But even a great side like Barcelona cannot take their eye off the ball these days because teams are so well organised. We simply cannot give up on the aim of trying to win football matches with beauty and style. It's almost a dogma for us Brazilians, you know!

What's the best piece of advice you've received?

My father has had a huge influence on my career. I vividly remember him telling me this when I was a youngster: "Be humble and avoid showing off. He who speaks less, makes less mistakes." That's a piece of advice I've always hung on to

Who has been your hardest opponent?

I have always found Luís Figo to be a nightmare opponent. Unfortunately I had to try and mark the guy in my first game for Valencia, which was a serious test, to say the least. Thankfully we won 2-1 and I arguably had the better of him that day. But the guy was one of the best players I have ever seen on the pitch. He was top quality.

Which player do you most admire in your position?

It's hard to pick just one. Off the top of my head, I'd say my team-mate John Arne Riise, and Serginho and Ashley Cole are left-sided defenders who I rate very highly. But I admire every player who puts in a lot of effort. That's important to me. In his prime, Roberto Carlos was a joy to watch, he showed such enthusiasm as well as great skill.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:29 am

He sounds like quite a humble guy thats nice to see in a footballer these days, and in general his acceptance towards the English game and the fact he has acknowledged he has to do more defensively is a good thing. TBH I havent been convinced when watching him play earlier on in the season, but he should be given the benefit of the doubt for settling in. He seems a neat and tidy player on the ball, but I'd agree with him he needs to focus more in training on his defending. I hope he becomes another Benitez " Gem" but only time will tell.
66-1112520797

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion