Fabio aurelio and the left back slot.... - What would you do?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:20 am

Aurelio is a player I've liked pretty much from the first time I saw him. He was an excellent free transfer acquisition by the manager, and he is IMHO our best left back.

There have been quite a few times though since I first sang his praises, where I kind of wished I hadn't have bothered. His form has been hit and miss on occasions, and the injuries just terrible. When he gets a run of games though, Im like him a lot.

He tucks in and pushes out just about flawlessly, he snaps into the tackle and he obviously has a lovely left peg on him. Just about the one criticism I have of him is that he doesn't seem to be that strong in the air. I think he's a really nice little full-back, really good, and I thought his performance in Madrid was just about as good a display from a left back I've seen in our shirt for a long time.

The problem, if there are any, are the injuries to Aurelio, and the back up. Can we go into next season as Aurelio as our number one left back given his injury record, and if we do, what do we do with Dossena? Is the Italian better than Insua, and if he is what dow e do with the little Argentine? He's one of our young players, the first one really who has come through and looks like he'll make it. He was given a chance because of circumstances and took it.

I'd move Dossena on, and have Insua as number two to Aurelio. It's a gamble given the Brazillians injuries, but the fee we'd get for Dossena must surely be useable elsewhere.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:37 am

bigmick wrote:I'd move Dossena on, and have Insua as number two to Aurelio. It's a gamble given the Brazillians injuries, but the fee we'd get for Dossena must surely be useable elsewhere.

That's what I'd do too.

Took me a while to warm to Aurelio if I'm honest.  But he does look better after a run in the side.  I do fear the injuries will always be a problem though.  Still, he has been an ok free transfer.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:37 am

I don't think you rate Insua that much do you Mick?

I think we have our left back covered, with Insua and Aurelio, with the little argie has more potential than the brazilian.

I agree, shipout Dosenna, Insua and Aurelio are good enough, I'll say that I would give Insua more games as he looks like to be a really good player, though different than Aurelio. I wouldn't be too worried if Aurelio gets injured most of the time because I have confidence that the argentinian would do really well when asked because he looks like a solid player in his 5 or 6 games he played with us this season.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:46 am

No mate I think Insua is a good little prospect. He's not IMHO anywhere near as good as Aurelio yet, but he could make a player. Football changes with fashion, and I think these days fullbacks at toip clubs have to offer a fair bit going forward as well as being solid. Neither of our best two offer that much really, and I think Insua falls into the same category. I expect we'll see Sergio Ramos bombing on from full back in midweek (I don't claim to know much about him but on the occasions I've seen him he does that and looks like an excellent player to me).

We might have to at some point look at getting in a bit more of a bomber into one of the fullback slots, simply because it makes such a difference to your attacing options. I'm sure that was the idea with Dossena, but although he's definately improved, i just can't see him making it TBH.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:47 am

Sell Dossena as you say, we cant afford to spend money on a left back when we have Aurelio and Insua.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:08 pm

I was chuffed when we signed him from Valencia, I could see his quality too, but I couldn't blame the other newkit members of being dissapointed with so many injuries.

Liverpool fans had suffered enough with Kewell's injuries to get a new case.

I think MIck is spot on in the diagnostic that Aurelio is a player who needs continuity. I think aswell that Aurelio being injured so much has been a disgrace for the team, both because he's the best LB, and because he's a better option for LW or LM than Babel is.

So about the diagnostic of the player I agree, he's quality. He's very un-brazilian, he could well be Aureliov from Russia, compossed, hardly he'll lose the plot in a match and tactically disciplined. I just miss his excellent FK more often.

Now, if he keeps healthy and with no injuries he's my first choice. And he'd be my first choice for next year. The problem is that we must hope for the best but be ready for the worst. What happens if Aurelio is injured? Dossena doesn't seem to be the answer, plus, he's not young and he's not the kind of player to accept to be on the bench.

Is Insua mature enough to give him a spell of 3 months?

I'm not sure. I see a promising player, but also a player that has much to learn. I'd be a bit afraid of giving him the responsability of playing many months in a season if we're competing for the title.

Good thread.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:46 pm

bigmick wrote:No mate I think Insua is a good little prospect. He's not IMHO anywhere near as good as Aurelio yet, but he could make a player. Football changes with fashion, and I think these days fullbacks at toip clubs have to offer a fair bit going forward as well as being solid. Neither of our best two offer that much really, and I think Insua falls into the same category. I expect we'll see Sergio Ramos bombing on from full back in midweek (I don't claim to know much about him but on the occasions I've seen him he does that and looks like an excellent player to me).

We might have to at some point look at getting in a bit more of a bomber into one of the fullback slots, simply because it makes such a difference to your attacing options. I'm sure that was the idea with Dossena, but although he's definately improved, i just can't see him making it TBH.

I beg to differ mate, Insua is as good as Aurelio in some departments mate, however, Aurelio has more experience.

I think its time for Insua to get more games, he will definetly f*ck up in some games, thats normal, but he will also show his potential.

Sergio Ramos is an excellent full back mate, going forward and defencively as well, also he has a top header and beats Aurelio in the air almost every time, If I was a manager I would be worried in defending Sergio Ramos at set pieces. Aurelio also bombs forward, more than his fellow teammate Insua, thats why sometimes Rafa prefers him to play at LM because he is an excellent footballer and offers alot on the wings. I like yourself rate the player, but I do think Insua could be a better option.

Sabre, I think Insua has the mentality and the ability to play constantly for 3 or 6 months, if Aurelio gets injured.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:49 pm

Aurelio I must admit has impressed me of late, given his injury record though I'd look to offload him and Dossena too, the Italian looks out of his depth. Buy someone who isnt so injury prone and who can play a bit with the funds made and use Insua as back up.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:09 pm

i like aurelio too and am perfectly happy, for now, with him and insua.

its funny though, the point about having full backs that bomb on. i remember that being exactly what benitez said he wanted for this season and that was the reason he brought in dossena and degen. shame it didn't really work, isn't it...

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:22 pm

Aurelio is a very solid player and I suspect we haven't seen the best of him yet as he certainly seems to improve with every run of games he plays. Unfortunately an injury usually comes along just as he is reaching his peak. For me, Insua is the better bet, he has more potential and a bigger up-side than Aurelio. Aurelio is a very cultured player, good passer, decent crosser, reads the game well, gets forward a bit and offers a threat at set-pieces. Insua has a lot of potential, I like the way him a lot, he loves to get forward, he quick, he's direct and a real live-wire. I'd put him in and see if he can develop. Our wide play has been poor so long now, having a full-back who bombs on, looks to play one-twos and actually has the balls to take a player on makes a MASSIVE difference to this team. Aurelio, for all his qualities, couldn't beat an egg, ditto Arbeloa on the right. Evra, Cole, Bosingwa, Rafael, Clichy and Sagna can all do it. It's about time we had a couple of bookend full-backs that can do the same. I think we might have one...
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:31 pm

andy_g wrote:i like aurelio too and am perfectly happy, for now, with him and insua.

its funny though, the point about having full backs that bomb on. i remember that being exactly what benitez said he wanted for this season and that was the reason he brought in dossena and degen. shame it didn't really work, isn't it...

shame the whole Benitez thing didnt work too... isnt it ?

For now the leftback spot seems to be sorted with Aurelio, Insua , Dossena and Arbeloa also able to play there...

Dossena and Degen should be shown the doorr come end of the season with a new quality rightback being brought in..

We got more pressing concerns than the fullback positions for now though...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:01 pm

I think it's a no brainer to go with Aurelio and Insua with Dosena moving on. I'd still like to see young Darby given a chance at right back though.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:53 pm

I think Insua should be 1st choice and Aurelio backup.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redhayesy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:31 pm

imho i don't rate him as highly as you mick,only for the reason he has been far to injury prone for my liking. however he did improve alot last season, & again when he has played this saeson he has produced SOME good performances, my only opinion & will always remain the same untill he proves me otherwise is his consistancy. but not just as & when he feels like it, his minset etc around when he isn't in the first team etc. i want to read more about what he is doing for himself to prevent so many injury's he seems to pick up on a regular basis etc. he has potential,but i just question his motivation.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:00 pm

Going against the tide here....but if we are ever gonna dominate the premier league and europe (Like the late 70s and 80s)...we need to have better world class players in our team. Auerlio is good..no doubt about it. But is he as good as Cole ? or Evra ? or Clichy ? 

Its quite unbelievable... Our central positions are up there among the best... but our wing players are bring down the average...

We got rid of kewell (who still is the best LW to play under benitez)...i see no issues of getting rid of Auerlio. I haven't even seen him play 5 games on the trot.

We could make a tidy profit on Auerlio.... Then add dossena in the mix and we should have about 10 million pounds to buy a pacy leftback.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion