DERBY COUNTY vs LIVERPOOL: 26/12/07 - Build up and Match Discussion

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:27 pm

I think there is a bit of confusion here with people saying "leaving Torres out is nonsense" etc etc. I think most people who have advocated such a move are really saying that IF WE MUST rotate, you'll never actually get a better chance than when you're playing the weakest team in the league.

All that said, FFS if we can't beat this lot without Torres and/or Gerrard, we might as well give over. There is a lot to be said though for the fact that in three out of the last four matches (and three out of the last three if like me you don't really rate the Carling Cup) we have kept exactly the same team, and by now we will be seeing the benefits of doing that. If Rafa keeps the guts of the team, making no more than two changes (say a full-back and Crouch for Kuyt) I would expect us to absolutely hammer these 3 or 4 nil. Given the importance of goal differnce if we ever do get to a point where we challenge, this might be the way to go, but as always we'll see.
Last edited by bigmick on Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:50 pm

Yes, to put it simply, yesteryear we'd expect beating Derby or Sunderland without Torres, and so we have to this year. I think than in a week that there are 3 games it makes sense to rest a key player in one of the 3 games, while putting a competitive team in the pitch.

BTW, there's something I don't get about the premiership. How come we're going to face Derby again or Portsmouth, where as we haven't faced Manchester city yet? strange calendar, not that it's bad necessarily, but it's strange.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:03 pm

This is the sort of game where we can afford to rotate a couple players, but that’s not to say we should go crazy and play our reserve goalkeeper and change our formation to accommodate all our second string.

Reina picks himself, Arbeloa is the only fit right back we have, Agger isn’t fit and Hobbs isn’t ready to play Premier League football so Carragher and Hyypia should be at centre back, Aurelio is working his way back to full strength so should be given another start.

Benayoun is the only right sided midfielder we have and has been playing well, Alonso is working his way back to full fitness so should start, Sissoko has pushed himself further down below Lucas after his outburst. I would be very interested to see Lucas play in a more dominant role, so far he has played second fiddle to the more attacking Gerrard or has been restricted by the less disciplined Sissoko, if Alonso plays deep then it would be very interesting to see Lucas play as the more attacking central midfield, which is apparently his best role. I wouldn’t mind seeing Riise at left wing because Benayoun cuts in so it would be nice to have some width down the other side.

Crouch is suspended and if we are going to protect Torres these are the sorts of games we should do it in, so Voronin and Kuyt should start.

Torres, Babel and Gerrard are huge impact players off the bench so even if this team were losing with 30 minutes to go (which I’m confident they wouldn’t be) I would still think we would have enough on the bench to turn things round comfortably.

Reina

Arbeloa     Carragher     Hyypia     Aurelio

Benayoun    Lucas        Alonso       Riise

Voronin     Kuyt

Subs

Torres
Babel
Gerrard
Sissoko
Itandje

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lio » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:05 am

We should go for the same starting line as the last three, so what it is Derby?  :(

Okay, if we base on moving average of 3 and if Rafa felt Kuyt (as an example, dont crucify me pls :D ) is not up to expectation, a chance for Babel to start then. Why Babel? Because he came in as sub in the last 3 games and have shown a renew vigor in his run at defenders.

Xabi (for Gerard needed a break?) or Hobbs (for Hyypia tired legs?) both must first not to start. Only and perhaps when we have ‘finish the game off’ by half time (which we can surely be) will then Xabi and Hobbs to come into the game as subs in the 2nd half for some mileages and observations.

This is an example to my call for:
No to ‘Rotations’*
Yes to ‘Substitutions’

(*ofcourse baring players’ suspensions, injuries or out of form)
lio

Postby skatesy » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:05 am

bigmick wrote:I think there is a bit of confusion here with people saying "leaving Torres out is nonsense" etc etc. I think most people who have advocated such a move are really saying that IF WE MUST rotate, you'll never actually get a better chance than when you're playing the weakest team in the league.

All that said, FFS if we can't beat this lot without Torres and/or Gerrard, we might as well give over. There is a lot to be said though for the fact that in three out of the last four matches (and three out of the last three if like me you don't really rate the Carling Cup) we have kept exactly the same team, and by now we will be seeing the benefits of doing that. If Rafa keeps the guts of the team, making no more than two changes (say a full-back and Crouch for Kuyt) I would expect us to absolutely hammer these 3 or 4 nil. Given the importance of goal differnce if we ever do get to a point where we challenge, this might be the way to go, but as always we'll see.

I completely agree.

To think that we need Torres and/or Gerrard to beat a team that could not even compete for the Championship right now is absurd. I think Babel with Crouch/Voronin or maybe even Kuyt up front is fine and put Alonso in the middle with Lucas or Sissoko. I think this match is a good opporunity to give Alonso a run.

Let Gerrard and Torres stay home and enjoy Boxing Day ;)
skatesy

Postby whylongball? » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:14 am

Cool Hand Luke wrote:This is the sort of game where we can afford to rotate a couple players, but that’s not to say we should go crazy and play our reserve goalkeeper and change our formation to accommodate all our second string.

yup that is the point...dont just throw sissoko in and play the stupid 433 with no pace  :angry:
I would rest Hyppia and play Hobb.
If the team cant win, then they can really forget about the title
whylongball?

Postby The_Rock » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:12 am

Rafa has to play a strong side with balance.....we need to gain momentum so as to go on a winning run.

Thus.....i would play torres, gerrard, kewell and carra (the players who bring balance to the team)....

The rest of the players..leave to rafa.

BTW.....merry xmas to all.  :cool:
Last edited by The_Rock on Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:14 am

Cool Hand Luke wrote:Voronin and Kuyt should start.

that would just be stupid regardless of the opposition. we tried it away at besiktas and it failed miserably.

neither of them get in the penalty area enough.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby El Nino_#9 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:16 am

reina
arbeloa
carra
hobbs
riise
benayoun
lucas
alonso
kewell
voronin
torres

do it.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:34 am

Same team that beat Portsmouth, take our best players off when we are 3-0 up.

No stupid rotations with whole sale changes of 7 players or something, and please Rafa dont start Voronin and Kuyt upfront.

Torres must play just play our strongest 11.

The Reading game should  have brought the message home there are no easy games in this league.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby skatesy » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:54 am

passmeistro_#14 wrote:reina
arbeloa
carra
hobbs
riise
benayoun
lucas
alonso
kewell
voronin
torres

do it.

I have a feeling that Reina will not start.
skatesy

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:03 pm

Boxing Day is my Crimbo Day all the footie, the racing all sports in one day exellent.
I cant get the match today cause of my gammy knees still wrapped up but im expecting nothing but 3 points.

Would like to see Xabi given a run out today and get match fitness under his belt, im not gonna second guess Rafa team but personaly what ever team he puts out today we should be equiped with enough class in our squad to beat these.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:52 pm

Ciggy wrote:Same team that beat Portsmouth, take our best players off when we are 3-0 up.

No stupid rotations with whole sale changes of 7 players or something, and please Rafa dont start Voronin and Kuyt upfront.

Torres must play just play our strongest 11.

The Reading game should  have brought the message home there are no easy games in this league.

Agreed.  If we start with a strong team - ie Torres and Gerrard in it - we will be a couple up at half time most likely and we can take them off.

I have a feeling however that Rafa will not oblige.

I'd go with:

Reina

Arbeloa        Carragher             Hyypia         Riise

Benayoun     Alonso                  Gerrard        Kewell

Torres                Babel

I'd stick with most of the side that has played 3 out of the last 4 games.  Against Derby I'd give Babel a chance up front from the start (as Kuyt is well out of form and Crouch suspended), I'd give Alonso a chance to get himself match fit (as at Anfield he and Gerrard would be my preferred combination) and I'd leave the rest of the team well alone.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:17 pm

Well I'm going to the match today, so I'll tell you all what it's like at Pride Park. (Although I'm sure Leon, Murphy, etc, will all be there, too.)

Obviously I'd like to see us batter them, but a flukey 1-0 will do for me.
I expect many changes from Rafa, with this being the possible line-up:

Reina

Arbeloa            Carragher      Hobbs             Aurelio

Benayoun                 Alonso           Lucas                Riise

Voronin                 Kuyt.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:21 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:Well I'm going to the match today, so I'll tell you all what it's like at Pride Park. (Although I'm sure Leon, Murphy, etc, will all be there, too.)

Obviously I'd like to see us batter them, but a flukey 1-0 will do for me.
I expect many changes from Rafa, with this being the possible line-up:

Reina

Arbeloa            Carragher      Hobbs             Aurelio

Benayoun                 Alonso           Lucas                Riise

Voronin                 Kuyt.

:censored: Hell Lando lad thats some changes :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion