CHELSEA vs LIVERPOOL: 10/02/08 - 4pm - Build up + Match Discussion here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:42 am

The cheating b@stards are 75 games unbeaten at home  :down:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:42 am

Bamaga man wrote:
RedRoots wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:I'm going for a one nil win for us.

I think Rafa should play the same team as he did Saturady, apart from moving Carra back central with Hyypia bring Finnan back in and oh Riise in for Aurelio.

Reina
                  Finnan    Hyypia    Carra   Riise

Pennant  Gerrard Mascha  Lucas

Crouch Torres

I like the idea of having Lucas on th left, he could make that spot his own. Heard many people bemoan about Rafa playing him there but its better he be there than Gerrard or Benayoun who I think is a little weak in the tackle and doesnt have the instincts defensively.

I'd give Lucas the 'Gerrard license' free to roam. I think he did okay there against Sunderland, but if he's given the time he could become a key player in that role. I think with him floating around out on the left and inbetween Chelseas midfield and defence they might find it harder to pick up Gerrard providing hes going to show up. Its these kind of fixtures IMO that Gerrard tends to go missing in, whether it be at Old Trafford, emirates or the Bridge, it looks as though mentally Gerrard doesnt have the balls to turn on as opposed to when he's infront of the KOP.

With Lucas roaming and Riise pushing up, the Brazillian should have adequate cover too In Mascha, the little Argie has got some electrifing pace and can cover alot of ground in a short amount of time. But Lucas has got to be disciplined and must hold position at times, Riise will need an outlet, although the Norwegein does love to pump it long anyway, Lucas must give him the option and we must keep shape especially when Chelsea are in possesion.

Crouch has to start its a no brainer, with two strikers who can ac tually score we'll pose more of a threat in the final third. Plus Crouch can hold it up much better than Kuyt, and will look to knock it on for Torres. I hope Pennant has a similar if not better game than against Sunderland I thought he  did okay and will give Ashley cole or whoever enough to think about with his jinky little runs, hopefully Pennant can keep their fullback on the back foot.

But make no mistake all eleven players are going to have to perform if they want three points, and its about time we did take something from this fixture.

Lucas was awful in that role against Sunderland, are you mad?

I wouldnt say he was awful, and to be frank he was no worse than Harry Kewell there, or Babel for that matter. Maybe Benayoun would have more of a goal threat than Lucas, but as a midfielder Lucas is more complete, he'll track back, tackle and play the ball. He was known in Brazil to score a few too, so no I dont think I'm mad, not yet anyway. We've tried numerous players out there none of them have warranted the role as "their wn". Lucas has only had ONE game their and I think he can adapt to that role, he appears an intelligent player and has good footballing abilities.

Like I said I'd try him again and persist with him their and give him the license to roam.

Bit similar to Cole at Chelsea really. May take him a couple of games, but I think he could adapt, whether it would be a good idea longer term is a different matter though.

I dont think he has got the tricks to make the position his own longer term, plus I think he is going to be a very good box to box player sooner than you may think.
account deleted by request

Postby RedBlood » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:51 am

well all i know is everytime ive seen pennant on the left hes been betta then any of our other options

i know hes not ideal but like i said we havent got any good options on the left the the mo.....plus id play gerrard rw 4 refusin 2 do what rafa told him & if he shoke his head at me hed be dropped....................still angry with him ova that

:blues:
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby RedBlood » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:52 am

so much 4 the id play anywhere in a liverpool shirt :censored: eh

RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:52 am

s@int wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
RedRoots wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:I'm going for a one nil win for us.

I think Rafa should play the same team as he did Saturady, apart from moving Carra back central with Hyypia bring Finnan back in and oh Riise in for Aurelio.

Reina
                  Finnan    Hyypia    Carra   Riise

Pennant  Gerrard Mascha  Lucas

Crouch Torres

I like the idea of having Lucas on th left, he could make that spot his own. Heard many people bemoan about Rafa playing him there but its better he be there than Gerrard or Benayoun who I think is a little weak in the tackle and doesnt have the instincts defensively.

I'd give Lucas the 'Gerrard license' free to roam. I think he did okay there against Sunderland, but if he's given the time he could become a key player in that role. I think with him floating around out on the left and inbetween Chelseas midfield and defence they might find it harder to pick up Gerrard providing hes going to show up. Its these kind of fixtures IMO that Gerrard tends to go missing in, whether it be at Old Trafford, emirates or the Bridge, it looks as though mentally Gerrard doesnt have the balls to turn on as opposed to when he's infront of the KOP.

With Lucas roaming and Riise pushing up, the Brazillian should have adequate cover too In Mascha, the little Argie has got some electrifing pace and can cover alot of ground in a short amount of time. But Lucas has got to be disciplined and must hold position at times, Riise will need an outlet, although the Norwegein does love to pump it long anyway, Lucas must give him the option and we must keep shape especially when Chelsea are in possesion.

Crouch has to start its a no brainer, with two strikers who can ac tually score we'll pose more of a threat in the final third. Plus Crouch can hold it up much better than Kuyt, and will look to knock it on for Torres. I hope Pennant has a similar if not better game than against Sunderland I thought he  did okay and will give Ashley cole or whoever enough to think about with his jinky little runs, hopefully Pennant can keep their fullback on the back foot.

But make no mistake all eleven players are going to have to perform if they want three points, and its about time we did take something from this fixture.

Lucas was awful in that role against Sunderland, are you mad?

I wouldnt say he was awful, and to be frank he was no worse than Harry Kewell there, or Babel for that matter. Maybe Benayoun would have more of a goal threat than Lucas, but as a midfielder Lucas is more complete, he'll track back, tackle and play the ball. He was known in Brazil to score a few too, so no I dont think I'm mad, not yet anyway. We've tried numerous players out there none of them have warranted the role as "their wn". Lucas has only had ONE game their and I think he can adapt to that role, he appears an intelligent player and has good footballing abilities.

Like I said I'd try him again and persist with him their and give him the license to roam.

Bit similar to Cole at Chelsea really. May take him a couple of games, but I think he could adapt, whether it would be a good idea longer term is a different matter though.

I dont think he has got the tricks to make the position his own longer term, plus I think he is going to be a very good box to box player sooner than you may think.

Maybe he will be a better box to box player, but can you see him really starting ahead of Gerrard and Mascha, I cant.

Instead of sacrificing our best players position to accomodate others it good to see Rafa try it with the likes of Lucas. He is young, and is intelligent enough to play there, lets not forget Gerrards not a "full of tricks" kinda player.

And I see honestly more potential long term there with Lucas than I do with Babel, Riise, Kewell and Aurelio.
66-1112520797

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:53 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
RedBlood wrote:i can c what rafa is thinking playin lucas on the left but 4 me a left winger should get 2 the by-line & cross it & we simple havent got 1 (kewell has let me don big time)

thats why my team would be

Reina

finnan          carragher                hyypia               insua

gerrard         mascherano          alonso                pennant

crouch              torres

subs:

lucas babel skretel kuyt aureilo

oh & 4 the eagle eyed among u who r wonderin why ive picked 2 teams its coz im a twin

:blues:  im paul the 1 who always puts this cool dude symbol down...becoz im cool.............obviously

Pennant wouldnt get to the byline on the left, he'd make in roads and come back on his right foot.

so.....  He has Insua on the left, not sure if this is the right game to throw him in there ( i had picked him to play against sunderland) but he does bomb forward and would provide crosses from wide left.  I think it is an important option to have to play a right footed player on the left, as long as the full back is left footed.  However, normally I would prefer it to be a 5-10 minute temporary switch with a left footed player on the right
JoeTerp

Postby heimdall » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:19 pm

JoeTerp wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
RedBlood wrote:i can c what rafa is thinking playin lucas on the left but 4 me a left winger should get 2 the by-line & cross it & we simple havent got 1 (kewell has let me don big time)

thats why my team would be

Reina

finnan          carragher                hyypia               insua

gerrard         mascherano          alonso                pennant

crouch              torres

subs:

lucas babel skretel kuyt aureilo

oh & 4 the eagle eyed among u who r wonderin why ive picked 2 teams its coz im a twin

:blues:  im paul the 1 who always puts this cool dude symbol down...becoz im cool.............obviously

Pennant wouldnt get to the byline on the left, he'd make in roads and come back on his right foot.

so.....  He has Insua on the left, not sure if this is the right game to throw him in there ( i had picked him to play against sunderland) but he does bomb forward and would provide crosses from wide left.  I think it is an important option to have to play a right footed player on the left, as long as the full back is left footed.  However, normally I would prefer it to be a 5-10 minute temporary switch with a left footed player on the right

I'm actually coming round to the idea of playing Pennant on the left as well, facts are that the lad can't cross anyway but he does have a few tricks and he's quick. He could bring the ball into the 16 yard box and pass it to Torres and or Crouch. I would either play Stevie on the right of midfield or drop him because he is playing far too far back in centre id to be any threat these days, apart from rare occasions when the game is going our way and he gets a bit more daring, but that won't happen against Chelsea. If we win it will be by 1 goal and the game will be very very tight.
heimdall

Postby KRobbo10 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:33 pm

RedBlood wrote:plus id play gerrard rw 4 refusin 2 do what rafa told him & if he shoke his head at me hed be dropped....................still angry with him ova that

Can some explain what gerrard done i missed it at the match.
KRobbo10

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:36 am

Well im going for a win 1-0 and ill be there to celebrate the goal when Sammi scores from a set play. Thats who my moneys going on and thats the bet im doin in a double :nod
Last edited by NANNY RED on Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:44 am

I think Chelsea are more resourceful on the attack.

Looking for openings. Good passing etc...

Whereas we rely on floating balls into the box. Flicks and so forth.

Kuyt starts up front.

They will win.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby oakton » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:53 am

unfortunately we are gonna lose this one.
0-2 I am guessing
oakton

Postby red_guy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:49 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:I think Chelsea are more resourceful on the attack.

Looking for openings. Good passing etc...

Whereas we rely on floating balls into the box. Flicks and so forth.

Kuyt starts up front.

They will win.

I think they'll celebrate if kuyt starts up front.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:57 am

I think it's time to give that mardy c*nt something to moan about and stick him on the right in the following formation:

Reina

Finnan             Carragher      Hyypia            Arbeloa (if fit)

Gerrard                 Mascherano     Alonso                 Kewell

Yossi

Torres.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:11 am

Insua or Riise or whoever plays fullback with have their hands full with Chelseas wingers, Pennant is very right footed. His best asset is running with the ball and whipping in a cross while on the run, Pennant wouldnt do this on the left, so straight away you've nulified any chance of Pennant having an impact on the game. He will cut in more often as would Lucas, but even then it seems as though Pennant doesnt even have the confidence to have a shot. He had a great opportunity against Sunderland and opted to pass, when he should of shot.

With Lucas I think you have more chance of him producing something, whether it be stretching the full back, or coming in and having a pop on goal. I think Lucas would be a better 'roamer' than Pennant, and there is know way in hell I'd pick Pennant on the left wing.
66-1112520797

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:14 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:I think it's time to give that mardy c*nt something to moan about and stick him on the right in the following formation:

Reina

Finnan             Carragher      Hyypia            Arbeloa (if fit)

Gerrard                 Mascherano     Alonso                 Kewell

Yossi

Torres.

Last time Alonso started a game we lost, what has he done to warrant a starting place against Chelsea, he's been sluggish and slow and his passing has been poor, he wouldnt add anything to the center of midfield, our best pairing is Mascha and Gerrard, and I wouldnt want to see that part of the spine broken up to let an underperforming Xabi come back in.

Maybe bring him on as a sub if we're winning, but thats about it for me.

The same thing could be said about Kewell aswell, I dont think he warrants a startung place.

I do like the look of Yossi behind Torres but I'd opt for Crouch I think with Yossi there Chelseas midfiled and defence will make that area of the pitch very conjested, but that is a good option for other matches.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion