LIVERPOOL vs PORTSMOUTH: 22/12/07 - Build up and Match Discussion

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Seano Kop » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:38 am

We played really well this morning. I'm pretty sure Torres would have earnt man of the match status because of his 2 goals alone. But Mascherano was immense, fantastic, and destructive as always. He's still missing one thing at the club tho, and thats a goal. Hope it comes soon, he deserves one.

Kewell was decent, not his best game since his comeback, but he was decent. I'm still wondering whether he will ever play 90 minutes for Liverpool ever again. He's fit now and raring to go, why not give him a full game? He nearly scored crackers on a few ocassions last night (Aus time), if they had gone in, all of Australia would have gone NUTS
Seano Kop

Postby Ciggy » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:58 am

I want to have Torres's babies how good is this kid seriously  :love: Sol Cambell will be having nightmare facing him again he and the others just couldnt cope he kept shaking his head  :laugh:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:01 am

This just sums it....we have to sign Mash for keeps now.

Gerrard and Mash are our 1st choice CM pairing...
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:33 am

Great result good performance.

Well chuffed with the way we played after Pompey scored their goal, we could of gotten real shaky but we weathered what little storm Pompey threw at us.

Ah how we've missed a striker like Torres, today was a classic example of why we need a striker who at times was pretty quiet during the game. But pops up with two goals to kill the game off, Benayouns goal was very good also. Gerrard was quiet and Kewell didnt have the best of games but we still won pretty comfortably in the end.

The perfect start for the festive season.  :buttrock
66-1112520797

Postby mungi » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:24 am

yeh not a bad game but we still have alot to improve. kewell had some nice touches but is still off playing the full 90. torres looked average yet scored 2 goals. cant believe arsenal got the 3 points.
mungi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:41 am

mungi wrote:yeh not a bad game but we still have alot to improve. kewell had some nice touches but is still off playing the full 90. torres looked average yet scored 2 goals. cant believe arsenal got the 3 points.

Oh well thats the knack we need, our top players werent fireing on all V12 cylinders, yet we still one.

I would like to say and put right that I dont think Kewell had the best of games, but he did have a good first half. Second though he faded and I think that is more down to fitness than anything else.

We need Arsenal to slip up to Pompey on Boxing day, dont know who United have but we could do with them slipping up.

IMHO if we're ever going to win the league this season we HAVE to beat Arsenal at the Emirates and beat United at Old toilet, and at least a draw aginst the Chavs. Tall order and tbh I cant see us doing that, we couldnt even beat ANY of them on our own patch, but there is always that glimmer of hope.
66-1112520797

Postby Owzat » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:38 am

Good result, partly putting to bed all the nonsense that goes around every year about smaller clubs closing the gap on the top four. We are better than recent results suggest, however like spudz we should be able to pull off a win every now and then in big games against our fiercest rivals. I'm sure we will be top four as usual, I'm not sure we'll manage top three or two and that is disappointing and shows a lack of progress. No good adding one or two good players if the results don't improve

And why are there more pages in threads when Liverpool lose? Yes we like a moan, but the fact remains there is little to discuss or debate when we win and play well and more to discuss when we lose and play badly.

How do we win the Premiership from here? Pretty sure I've said somewhere that we need to win say 10 games in a row, pull out maximum points and the others will drop points. We aren't in a position to drop points when rivals do, we've already dropped too many through draws. Let's go on a winning run, put everything into a title push and then when we do have those tough away games then we'll at least be in a better position to then have draws away to the rivals as acceptable results. Win our game in hand and it is only seven points, if we can win 30 points out of 30 then that will put pressure on the rest. Just takes a couple of draws and that's four points dropped, then the gap would be down to three.

The comparitive results from this season compared to last still show Arsenal are only a few points better off than last and the mancs a few worse off. We're still three points better off, not that you'd believe it because we've dropped points at home to brum, away to Reading and in other results we'd have expected better. And those who think we moan too much about everything, we'll we're DISAPPOINTED in the side and that just shows we have higher expectations than the team produces. Whether we're unrealistic in those expectations is an altogether different matter
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:15 pm

My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby holylamb2006 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:29 pm

I want to have Torres's babies how good is this kid seriously

Taking it a bit far there :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

He is really good tho
holylamb2006

Postby stmichael » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:16 pm

Bamaga man wrote:We need Arsenal to slip up to Pompey on Boxing day, dont know who United have but we could do with them slipping up.

united are away at sunderland. they'll walk all over them.

i think arsenal at pompey is an evening game so the pressure will be on arsenal, presuming all the other top teams win.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JoeTerp » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:19 pm

We were unlucky not to gain points this weekend.
JoeTerp

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:22 pm

It's worth noting that Torres is now one goal shy of equalling his tally for Atletico last season (in all comps) and we're not quite at the halfway point of the season yet.  This kid has been a simply phenomenal signing. :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby bigmick » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:27 pm

I probably agree with Owzat here in that what we need to do and sharpish is win ten on the bounce and have a look then. Our next two should be penalty kicks so that's a good start, and then if we can go to Citeh and pick up the three points then obviously we've had a fantastic festive period.

The feeling persists that whatever happens, such is the gap and severity of our run in that it will be beyond our reach, but we must give ourselves every possible chance to have a go.

I must say for my part that I am really encouraged by the current experimentation with fielding a settled team. If we can be sensible Away to Derby and at Home to Wigan, before returning to our very best line-up at Man City and beyond, then we will see the machine finally grind into top gear I would have thought. In some respects it's a wee bit of a shame it's Derby up next, as the manager will certainly rotate there (and I probably would myself TBH). Were he not to though, the benefits of the non-rotationary stance in the last three games would be kicking in if it isn't already. Unlike the delayed gazelle theory, the picking of sensible line-ups with a certain amount of consistency shows fairly immediate benefits.

Anyway, if (and I accept it's always a big "if"), we can keep it sensible and not shoot ourselves in the b0ll0cks every seven or eight games with a rush of blood to the team sheet, we would be a match for anyone I'm certain of it.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:29 pm

JoeTerp wrote:We were unlucky not to gain points this weekend.

Tale of two penalties, if Robbie Keane had scored his, and Ronaldo had missed his........

All we can do is keep winning, I am sure others will soon drop points.

Derby are on a roll with their point away at Newcastle. Newcastle are on a roll too according to Fat Sam,"  we're on a run because we're undefeated."  :laugh:
Last edited by account deleted by request on Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby stmichael » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:30 pm

Bad Bob wrote:It's worth noting that Torres is now one goal shy of equalling his tally for Atletico last season (in all comps) and we're not quite at the halfway point of the season yet.  This kid has been a simply phenomenal signing. :nod

if he'd had his shooting boots on away from home in the league he'd have got 20 goals already. he should have scored 4 against newcastle and 3 against sunderland.

not good enough. get rid. :angry:  :D
Last edited by stmichael on Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion