Brendan Rodgers thread (signs extended contract)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:08 am

Brendan Rodgers is the worst manager weve ever had!
Oh, hang on, we won yesterday
Brendan Rodgers is the greatest manager weve ever had!
:laugh:
Thommo's perm

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:38 pm

killerp » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:19 am wrote:Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers admits his team are back in a period of transition similar to when he first arrived at Anfield.

The departure of striker Luis Suarez, integrating a raft of summer signings and injuries to a number of players have all contributed to a difficult start to the campaign.

The Reds have won just twice in the Premier League and scored only eight times in six matches, while keeping just one clean sheet in nine outings.

Rodgers accepts there will be more pain to come before things pick up again, but he denied he was facing the biggest challenge of his managerial career after expectations were raised following last season's second-place finish.

"Liverpool haven’t become a bad team overnight and sooner or later they just need to get a break, score an early goal and they will be alright. This could be the game."
Paul Merson's prediction for the WBA game
"No, not really. It's an exciting challenge. This is an incredible job and nothing has changed," he said.

"The first six months were difficult here but for 18 months we've been on a magic carpet ride in terms of our performance level and everything improving.

"For me it would have been a case of keeping the squad we had and adding a few bodies to thicken up the squad.

"But that wasn't the case. There was big change here in the summer and we lost a world-class player (when Suarez was sold to Barcelona).

Difficult

"We had to improve the squad and bring in a number of players and unfortunately we've lost a number of our key players to injuries.

"It brings us into a little period of transition again. It's something that was difficult in the first few months when I got here.

"You have to go through some pain along the way. We are in a difficult moment but that's the great challenge for myself and the players."
Brendan Rodgers
"You have to go through some pain along the way. We are in a difficult moment but that's the great challenge for myself and the players.

"We will look at it even harder and analyse it more just to ensure we keep it simple and keep to the values and ethics of this team - hard work, honesty and concentrating on our performance."

Liverpool host West Brom on Saturday, and the Baggies were Rodgers' first opponents when he took over in the summer of 2012.

"There are similarities in that it feels like a new group again," he added.

"I'm not here to whine or complain about injuries. We just need to get on with working hard and go back to core principles which our good performances and wins were all about.

"The job now is similar to then in terms of need to integrate all of that to create winning performances."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... transition
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what happens when you are world classes-less and are expected to perform on multiple fronts with players of questionable quality.Its not rocket science.

I fooking sick of the taking long hard road to success, lifes too short to be waiting around to have your dick teased once every 10 years only to be rejected at the pinacle moment and end up having a W*nk to have some form of reward to keep you going and keep you supporting.

SELL THE FOOKING CLUB TO SOME RICH ARABS AND LETS FOOKING BUY SOME REAL QUALITY PLAYERS ITS THE ONLY FOOKING WAY WE WILL WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:veryangry  :veryangry  :veryangry  :veryangry  :veryangry  :veryangry  :veryangry  :veryangry  :veryangry  :veryangry  :veryangry  :veryangry 

Either stay out of the sun mate ,or just buy a f*cking hat ......Sunstroke is no laughing matter  :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:13 pm

killerp » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:19 am wrote:Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers admits his team are back in a period of transition similar to when he first arrived at Anfield.

The departure of striker Luis Suarez, integrating a raft of summer signings and injuries to a number of players have all contributed to a difficult start to the campaign.

The Reds have won just twice in the Premier League and scored only eight times in six matches, while keeping just one clean sheet in nine outings.

Rodgers accepts there will be more pain to come before things pick up again, but he denied he was facing the biggest challenge of his managerial career after expectations were raised following last season's second-place finish.

"Liverpool haven’t become a bad team overnight and sooner or later they just need to get a break, score an early goal and they will be alright. This could be the game."
Paul Merson's prediction for the WBA game
"No, not really. It's an exciting challenge. This is an incredible job and nothing has changed," he said.

"The first six months were difficult here but for 18 months we've been on a magic carpet ride in terms of our performance level and everything improving.

"For me it would have been a case of keeping the squad we had and adding a few bodies to thicken up the squad.

"But that wasn't the case. There was big change here in the summer and we lost a world-class player (when Suarez was sold to Barcelona).

Difficult

"We had to improve the squad and bring in a number of players and unfortunately we've lost a number of our key players to injuries.

"It brings us into a little period of transition again. It's something that was difficult in the first few months when I got here.

"You have to go through some pain along the way. We are in a difficult moment but that's the great challenge for myself and the players."
Brendan Rodgers
"You have to go through some pain along the way. We are in a difficult moment but that's the great challenge for myself and the players.

"We will look at it even harder and analyse it more just to ensure we keep it simple and keep to the values and ethics of this team - hard work, honesty and concentrating on our performance."

Liverpool host West Brom on Saturday, and the Baggies were Rodgers' first opponents when he took over in the summer of 2012.

"There are similarities in that it feels like a new group again," he added.

"I'm not here to whine or complain about injuries. We just need to get on with working hard and go back to core principles which our good performances and wins were all about.

"The job now is similar to then in terms of need to integrate all of that to create winning performances."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... transition
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what happens when you are world classes-less and are expected to perform on multiple fronts with players of questionable quality.Its not rocket science.

I fooking sick of the taking long hard road to success, lifes too short to be waiting around to have your dick teased once every 10 years only to be rejected at the pinacle moment and end up having a W*nk to have some form of reward to keep you going and keep you supporting.

SELL THE FOOKING CLUB TO SOME RICH ARABS AND LETS FOOKING BUY SOME REAL QUALITY PLAYERS ITS THE ONLY FOOKING WAY WE WILL WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:veryangry  :veryangry  :veryangry  :veryangry  :veryangry  :veryangry  :veryangry  :veryangry  :veryangry  :veryangry  :veryangry  :veryangry 

The plastic fan comes out of the closet
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:20 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:19 am wrote:When you look at the ages of the players that we have brought in we have obviously had one eye on the long term.
The likes of Manquillo, Moreno, Markovic and Can are all around 20 and even Mario and Lovren are only 24. Out of the 8 players that we've bought I'd argue that only Lallana at 26 is near his prime, Adam (theoretically at least) should be just entering the best 3 years of his career, the others are miles off their footballing prime's.
I think as frustrating as this is we all need to remember that we are a work in progress, the club would have no doubt been more competative this year if we would have went out and bought eight 27 year olds but if we went down that road we'd just be staring at another major rebuild 2 or 3 years down the line as as we all know we aren't City, Chelsea or United who can throw money about like drunken sailors.
Unfortunately to compete with those clubs long term we have to be sensible and plan for the future, make no mistake what Brendan is trying to do (compete against stinking rich clubs) is very, very tough, LVG was lauded as some sort of football genius but after trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear he soon went running for the chequebook.

And there in lies the problem Yakka.

How are we expected to compete with achieving a top 4 spot, which is the minimum we require this season to be seen as "successful" with bringing in all these kids from other leagues?

Rodgers knew this, to come back and use the excuse that they "need time to settle" or "we will only see them perform next season, or the season after" is simply unacceptable.

The only reason why we are a "work in progress" is because we (as a club) refuse to move on from this ridiculous mindset, one that has lasted over twenty years.  :no

Getting in one or two more quality, experienced players (in their peak) would have greatly improved out starting XI and our chances of better success this season.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:09 pm

eds » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:20 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:19 am wrote:When you look at the ages of the players that we have brought in we have obviously had one eye on the long term.
The likes of Manquillo, Moreno, Markovic and Can are all around 20 and even Mario and Lovren are only 24. Out of the 8 players that we've bought I'd argue that only Lallana at 26 is near his prime, Adam (theoretically at least) should be just entering the best 3 years of his career, the others are miles off their footballing prime's.
I think as frustrating as this is we all need to remember that we are a work in progress, the club would have no doubt been more competative this year if we would have went out and bought eight 27 year olds but if we went down that road we'd just be staring at another major rebuild 2 or 3 years down the line as as we all know we aren't City, Chelsea or United who can throw money about like drunken sailors.
Unfortunately to compete with those clubs long term we have to be sensible and plan for the future, make no mistake what Brendan is trying to do (compete against stinking rich clubs) is very, very tough, LVG was lauded as some sort of football genius but after trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear he soon went running for the chequebook.

How are we expected to compete with achieving a top 4 spot, which is the minimum we require this season to be seen as "successful" with bringing in all these kids from other leagues?

Rodgers knew this, to come back and use the excuse that they "need time to settle" or "we will only see them perform next season, or the season after" is simply unacceptable.

The only reason why we are a "work in progress" is because we (as a club) refuse to move on from this ridiculous mindset, one that has lasted over twenty years.  :no

Getting in one or two more quality, experienced players (in their peak) would have greatly improved out starting XI and our chances of better success this season.

I agree with your sentiment about signing proven quality, but we simply haven't got the pulling power after 5 years out of the Champions League. Over the summer we enquired about Fabregas, Benzema, Cavani, Reus and a few others...but none of them are interested in coming here. So, we have to build our team with promising youngsters, who cost a fortune.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:16 pm

Do you not think we could have done better with our signings though? The fact we are a selling club is down to not having enough quality players at the same time. We always seem to buy one to replace another rather than adding to what we have... the poor signings often contribute to our best players wanting to leave.

I just wonder what game some of these people watch at times when there are class players out there playing for no mark clubs. How do we end up signing the likes of skrtel, mig no let, sahko and the likes anyway?

Players like begovic an scheiderlin are exactly what we need. Even remy would have been an excellent and astute, aaddition. We always go for dog end average or media hyped rubbish
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby eds » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:14 pm

7_Kewell » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:09 pm wrote:
eds » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:20 am wrote:

I agree with your sentiment about signing proven quality, but we simply haven't got the pulling power after 5 years out of the Champions League. Over the summer we enquired about Fabregas, Benzema, Cavani, Reus and a few others...but none of them are interested in coming here. So, we have to build our team with promising youngsters, who cost a fortune.

Then the obvious questions need to be asked.

Do we have the right owners? The right execs? Or even the right manager to move us forward?

If we failed abysmally in bringing in any recognised talent like the names you mentioned (plus others you haven't Sanchez, Falcao, etc) than we are fundamentally missing something aren't we?

It hurts like hell that Farcelona came along and in one foul swoop took away the 3rd best player on the planet off us for a bargain price and we used the money very, very questionably.

How is it that clubs like Chelsea and Man City came to have the strength in their squads that we don't? Money, pure and simple. And in the process changed the "game" forever.

This "romantic" notion of buying players on the cheap, bringing in kids and building a dynasty ala Manure from the early 90s, does not exist anymore. The money being pumped into the sport just makes it impossible.

In order to bring in these type of quality players (at least 1 or 2 as I have suggested) the cold hard reality is that we need a combination of money, ruthless recruiting execs and a vision of winning everything under the sun to attract them. We had the first over the summer but completely lacked the other two.

Rodgers philosophy of growing these kids into world beaters and trying to get success over the longer term won't attract quality players (in their peak) and at this point in time seems doomed to fail just like the Arsenal model. I might add that Wenger finally appears to have given up on this nonsense.

FSG maybe happy economically to support this model, selling kids at a premium when they move on (regardless on whether they are any good or not) but as a true fan I simply deplore this mentality, it is flawed ideology and will be to the detriment of us having any relative success.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

eds

Postby aCe' » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:25 am

The money isnt the issue, its the strategy; how the money is spent. I have no doubt that Rodgers has a say in this and I equally have no doubt that he is pretty clueless when it comes to making big money transfers. When you look at Chelsea spending 25-30 mill less than we did and bringing in the calibre of players they have, it says it all. We went for quantity and potential when we didnt need to.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:50 am

aCe' » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:25 am wrote:The money isnt the issue, its the strategy; how the money is spent. I have no doubt that Rodgers has a say in this and I equally have no doubt that he is pretty clueless when it comes to making big money transfers. When you look at Chelsea spending 25-30 mill less than we did and bringing in the calibre of players they have, it says it all. We went for quantity and potential when we didnt need to.

Unfortunately Chelsea have a bigger pulling power than we do at this time, with them being at or around the top recently while we have been out of the CL for a few years. They also have Mourinho as manager and say what you like about him, players see him as a winner, also they are a London club and living in or around the capital also has its atraction, (sanchez wife for instance). They also did not require a major strengthening of their squad as we did and only required a couple of quality players. Yes it would have strengthened our 1st team getting Fabragas and Costa but we still would have been in a worse state with a few injuries and the extra games. Anyway Rogers or the committee seem to shy away from signing a top quality midfielder as that would be seen as a direct challenge to SG and they don't seem to want to go down that route at the present time. Hopefully now they have done the squad strengthening then the next big spend will be one or two top quality players, I say hopefully but I wont hold my breath
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:26 am

In short, yes we do have the right owners and the right manager. FSG are expanding Anfield, backing the manager in the transfer market and trying to make the club self sufficient. Few owners in the league do all three of those things. BR also nearly won us the league last year. This seems to have been forgotte too.  :glare:

Posters compare us to Chelsea and Man City and moan about the fact they're attracting the big name players, yet the same posters skip over the fact these teams have been in the CL league for years and won some major honours in that time. What have we won over the past 5 years? Feck all, that's what. Hence the big names aren't so keen to come here any more.

There is another option, which is gamble and pay well over the odds for players to join your team. However, for me, that would be a disaster. I mean, can we really afford to pay Falco £300,000+ a week? What would that do to our wage structure? Surely Sterling would be demanding £200,000 PW instead of the £100,000 PW being bounded around? It would result in the club being bankrupted should we miss out on CL footie and I don't want us doing a Leeds Utd. 

BR is the right man for the job and FSG are the right owners. For sure, we could have spent better, but I'm not prepared to write off our club after just seven games. The players need time to gel and, like last year, we're going to have a slow start.

And as for Suarez, he ALWAYS wanted out and we did the right thing in selling. £75 million is a lot of money for a player who will do something stupid again. Then what? He'll get a 1 or 2 year ban and be returning to the league in his early 30s. We did right to sell.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:09 am

The suits have provided plenty of money for Rodgers to get it right. His signings since he came to the club have been unbelievably poor. The money spent on average players is woeful. His league performances by the end of this season will no doubt prove that our success last season was due to one player, being able to field the same side every match and concentrate on one competition.

If we don't make the champions league this season he needs to leave as three years and two hundred million is more enough to improve a club of this stature
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby eds » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:09 pm

7_Kewell » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:26 am wrote:In short, yes we do have the right owners and the right manager. FSG are expanding Anfield, backing the manager in the transfer market and trying to make the club self sufficient. Few owners in the league do all three of those things. BR also nearly won us the league last year. This seems to have been forgotte too.  :glare:

Everything you have said in one statement, summarises what is wrong with the emerging ideology I was referring to before .

At the end of the day we support Liverpool FC because we want the club to win trophies and have success on the field. Personally I couldn't give a s**t about being financially frugal, "expanding Anfield" and making us self f**king sufficient. This has and never will be the main criteria on why I support this club, granted they are important but they are not the MAIN reasons why I support this club. If that is your criteria for success go buy some shares in any S&P 500 company and go support Coca-Cola or Apple FC  :no

The right owners and right manager will bring us success by winning us trophies, when you lose sight of this underlying objective you lose sight of what you are aiming to achieve in the first place!

7_Kewell » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:26 am wrote:Posters compare us to Chelsea and Man City and moan about the fact they're attracting the big name players, yet the same posters skip over the fact these teams have been in the CL league for years and won some major honours in that time. What have we won over the past 5 years? Feck all, that's what. Hence the big names aren't so keen to come here any more.

It's funny you pick those two clubs. According to your criteria and in your words "FSG are expanding Anfield, backing the manager in the transfer market and trying to make the club self sufficient" then comparing this to those other two clubs they have failed and quiet miserably haven't they?  :glare:  But wait all of sudden the shift now comes back to what football is all about.....winning. That's right we have won f**k all and will continue to win f**k all when we become obsessed with rubbish like self-sustainability and expanding gradually and economically............

7_Kewell » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:26 am wrote:There is another option, which is gamble and pay well over the odds for players to join your team. However, for me, that would be a disaster. I mean, can we really afford to pay Falco £300,000+ a week? What would that do to our wage structure? Surely Sterling would be demanding £200,000 PW instead of the £100,000 PW being bounded around? It would result in the club being bankrupted should we miss out on CL footie and I don't want us doing a Leeds Utd.

Once again you are seeing it from a totally wrong perspective. Wages have and will always be based on what the market is willing to pay for a certain calibre of player. If we are scared of signing players who demand very high figures, then you, FSG and their flawed model simply don't have the balls or financial clout to play with the big boys. I ask them and you to graciously step away from the football club and go apply you scare-mongering somewhere else. Because the reality is when you aren't prepared to pay the premium required to bring in quality players, then you have no ambition or determination to compete with the richest and best clubs in the world. Wrap this crazy concept around your head, how tempting is it going to be when Madrid or Barcelona come knocking for Sterling when he maybe on $100k a week and they are willing to offer him double or more?  :laugh: 

7_Kewell » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:26 am wrote:BR is the right man for the job and FSG are the right owners. For sure, we could have spent better, but I'm not prepared to write off our club after just seven games. The players need time to gel and, like last year, we're going to have a slow start.

I'm not so sure and a lot of fans are also not happy with the players Rodgers has brought in. The key is that Rodgers could have spent A WHOLE LOT better and whether or not the players gel or not is something we can't afford to slip up once we are in the CL. Also if we had the right owners they would have brought in better execs to try and land us better players, not the army of "we almost signed them but..." failures that we have seen over the last few years. We need to improve and dramatically, so far I'm not convinced but I am hoping that Rodgers can pull a rabbit out of the hat and get us into the top 4 again.

7_Kewell » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:26 am wrote:And as for Suarez, he ALWAYS wanted out and we did the right thing in selling. £75 million is a lot of money for a player who will do something stupid again. Then what? He'll get a 1 or 2 year ban and be returning to the league in his early 30s. We did right to sell.

Once again I disagree. In selling Suarez we openly have become a selling club and have no real ambition of winning trophies. He may have wanted to go but selling the 3rd best player on the planet for 75m is f**king outrageous. I don't deal in conjecture so he may have been stupid again and then again he may have not. Either way if we had kept him I'm sure he would have got straight back into form on his return and given us another tilt at the title and a longer run in the CL. This outweighs any other financial benefit or "what if" scenarios. Also we may have had a better chance of bringing in better players to complement what a remarkable talent he really is.
Last edited by eds on Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

eds

Postby eds » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:13 pm

Stu the Red » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:09 am wrote:The suits have provided plenty of money for Rodgers to get it right. His signings since he came to the club have been unbelievably poor. The money spent on average players is woeful. His league performances by the end of this season will no doubt prove that our success last season was due to one player, being able to field the same side every match and concentrate on one competition.

If we don't make the champions league this season he needs to leave as three years and two hundred million is more enough to improve a club of this stature

And yet Stu I'm already anticipating the excuses that will come out by the mindless lemmings on this forum defending everything Rodgers has done.  :no

eds

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:42 pm

eds » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:09 pm wrote:
7_Kewell » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:26 am wrote:In short, yes we do have the right owners and the right manager. FSG are expanding Anfield, backing the manager in the transfer market and trying to make the club self sufficient. Few owners in the league do all three of those things. BR also nearly won us the league last year. This seems to have been forgotte too.  :glare:

Everything you have said in one statement, summarises what is wrong with the emerging ideology I was referring to before .

At the end of the day we support Liverpool FC because we want the club to win trophies and have success on the field. Personally I couldn't give a s**t about being financially frugal, "expanding Anfield" and making us self f**king sufficient. This has and never will be the main criteria on why I support this club, granted they are important but they are not the MAIN reasons why I support this club. If that is your criteria for success go buy some shares in any S&P 500 company and go support Coca-Cola or Apple FC  :no

The right owners and right manager will bring us success by winning us trophies, when you lose sight of this underlying objective you lose sight of what you are aiming to achieve in the first place!

7_Kewell » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:26 am wrote:Posters compare us to Chelsea and Man City and moan about the fact they're attracting the big name players, yet the same posters skip over the fact these teams have been in the CL league for years and won some major honours in that time. What have we won over the past 5 years? Feck all, that's what. Hence the big names aren't so keen to come here any more.

It's funny you pick those two clubs. According to your criteria and in your words "FSG are expanding Anfield, backing the manager in the transfer market and trying to make the club self sufficient" then comparing this to those other two clubs they have failed and quiet miserably haven't they?  :glare:  But wait all of sudden the shift now comes back to what football is all about.....winning. That's right we have won f**k all and will continue to win f**k all when we become obsessed with rubbish like self-sustainability and expanding gradually and economically............

7_Kewell » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:26 am wrote:There is another option, which is gamble and pay well over the odds for players to join your team. However, for me, that would be a disaster. I mean, can we really afford to pay Falco £300,000+ a week? What would that do to our wage structure? Surely Sterling would be demanding £200,000 PW instead of the £100,000 PW being bounded around? It would result in the club being bankrupted should we miss out on CL footie and I don't want us doing a Leeds Utd.

Once again you are seeing it from a totally wrong perspective. Wages have and will always be based on what the market is willing to pay for a certain calibre of player. If we are scared of signing players who demand very high figures, then you, FSG and their flawed model simply don't have the balls or financial clout to play with the big boys. I ask them and you to graciously step away from the football club and go apply you scare-mongering somewhere else. Because the reality is when you aren't prepared to pay the premium required to bring in quality players, then you have no ambition or determination to compete with the richest and best clubs in the world. Wrap this crazy concept around your head, how tempting is it going to be when Madrid or Barcelona come knocking for Sterling when he maybe on $100k a week and they are willing to offer him double or more?  :laugh: 

7_Kewell » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:26 am wrote:BR is the right man for the job and FSG are the right owners. For sure, we could have spent better, but I'm not prepared to write off our club after just seven games. The players need time to gel and, like last year, we're going to have a slow start.

I'm not so sure and a lot of fans are also not happy with the players Rodgers has brought in. The key is that Rodgers could have spent A WHOLE LOT better and whether or not the players gel or not is something we can't afford to slip up once we are in the CL. Also if we had the right owners they would have brought in better execs to try and land us better players, not the army of "we almost signed them but..." failures that we have seen over the last few years. We need to improve and dramatically, so far I'm not convinced but I am hoping that Rodgers can pull a rabbit out of the hat and get us into the top 4 again.

7_Kewell » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:26 am wrote:And as for Suarez, he ALWAYS wanted out and we did the right thing in selling. £75 million is a lot of money for a player who will do something stupid again. Then what? He'll get a 1 or 2 year ban and be returning to the league in his early 30s. We did right to sell.

Once again I disagree. In selling Suarez we openly have become a selling club and have no real ambition of winning trophies. He may have wanted to go but selling the 3rd best player on the planet for 75m is f**king outrageous. I don't deal in conjecture so he may have been stupid again and then again he may have not. Either way if we had kept him I'm sure he would have got straight back into form on his return and given us another tilt at the title and a longer run in the CL. This outweighs any other financial benefit or "what if" scenarios. Also we may have had a better chance of bringing in better players to complement what a remarkable talent he really is.

Ok, so let me get this right, five years after we nearly went bankrupt, you want the club to forget about being spending within its means and start spending cash we don’t have? And who are these “right owners”? You say you don’t deal conjecture, yet you claim someone else will run our club right?  :laugh:

Regardless of what you say, self-sustainability is a ‘fact’ (as Rafa would say) and it’s not going away. You’re right about Man City not doing well, hence they got penalised under the FFP rules.
I also find it baffling that you make no mention of last season. If BR was so awful, why did he nearly win the league? I don’t believe it was just Suarez, as one player doesn’t make a team and I stand by what I said. Suarez had to go. There was no way back after he took a bite out of that Italian player and he WILL do something daft again. That’s not conjecture, that’s an accurate prediction based on his previous. I guarantee it.

However, your criticisms of BR are separate from the ethos of running the club. Has BR spent wisely? Who knows, only time will tell and we’ll all have to wait until the end of the season for that. But the doom mongering after just 7 games are a bit too premature.
We’ll finish in the top 4 this year and also reach the knock out stages of the CL. As for the rest, I don’t know. But calling for new owners and a new manager at this stage is sheer madness.
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:44 pm

eds » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:13 pm wrote:
Stu the Red » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:09 am wrote:The suits have provided plenty of money for Rodgers to get it right. His signings since he came to the club have been unbelievably poor. The money spent on average players is woeful. His league performances by the end of this season will no doubt prove that our success last season was due to one player, being able to field the same side every match and concentrate on one competition.

And yet Stu I'm already anticipating the excuses that will come out by the mindless lemmings on this forum defending everything Rodgers has done.  :no

:nod  ,  Gerrard  will no doubt be held responsible for any failures we experience, "he just isn't good enough to carry out the managers tactical master plan"   :glare:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion