Brendan Rodgers thread (signs extended contract)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby devaney » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:28 pm

Stu the Red » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:04 pm wrote:What I find quite laughable is the fact people still think that Mourinho didn't plan this and we were unlucky.

Chelsea were absolutely superb in what they set out to do. Which was to disrupt Liverpool, neutralise their strengths and expose our glaring weakness. In a game we didn't have to win we went typically gung ho, despite earlier in the season proving we struggled with Chelsea's physicality and organisation. Mourinho knew we would do this, just as we knew he'd set up to do what he did.

We've been exceptional this season, but that doesn't excuse the naivety the other day. Those who deny it was naïve are simply living with their head in the clouds as usual to be quite frank.

We didn't have to chase that game and we didn't have to win to secure a league title. Had that game been the worst 0-0 game ever, then we'd have achieved what we needed... there is a time and place for style... sometimes however, its better to just take what you need and move on. Chelsea did. Had we set out to contain them and not concede we'd have been in the driving seat. Had we mirrored their tactics that would have created space later in the game and maybe even confused Mourinho... We lost, the manager got it wrong, theirs got it right.

Simple as that.

I tell you what I find laughable Stu - YOU! YOU! YOU!

You talk as if getting a draw would have been a relatively simple task against a team that cost a small fortune !! Add to that your somewhat stupid assumption that we will automatically beat Palace and Newcastle leaves me to wonder just what the fk you actually know about the game.

Gerrard's unfortunate mistake cost us the game. SIMPLE AS THAT !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:06 pm

Stu the Red » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:04 pm wrote:What I find quite laughable is the fact people still think that Mourinho didn't plan this and we were unlucky.

Chelsea were absolutely superb in what they set out to do. Which was to disrupt Liverpool, neutralise their strengths and expose our glaring weakness. In a game we didn't have to win we went typically gung ho, despite earlier in the season proving we struggled with Chelsea's physicality and organisation. Mourinho knew we would do this, just as we knew he'd set up to do what he did.

We've been exceptional this season, but that doesn't excuse the naivety the other day. Those who deny it was naïve are simply living with their head in the clouds as usual to be quite frank.

We didn't have to chase that game and we didn't have to win to secure a league title. Had that game been the worst 0-0 game ever, then we'd have achieved what we needed... there is a time and place for style... sometimes however, its better to just take what you need and move on. Chelsea did. Had we set out to contain them and not concede we'd have been in the driving seat. Had we mirrored their tactics that would have created space later in the game and maybe even confused Mourinho... We lost, the manager got it wrong, theirs got it right.

Simple as that.

I think you are wrong Stu. You don't play ten behind the ball if you want to win you play that way because you don't want to lose and more accurately because you don't want to get caned. Imagine had we won 4-0 it would have been devastating to them and more importantly Maureen would probably have got the sack. It was blind luck that Gerrard slipped in injury time which then set them up for the rest of the match but up until that point they were only interested in wasting time. I'd say the only clever thing he did was put Willian in the second half because it was obvious as hell that his speed was going to get another goal, but other than that he was a passenger to luck. The press are funny because they are so reactive and easily manipulated. After Maureen's press conference yesterday when he was on good form all of a sudden the press today are talking about genius  :laugh: 

Blind luck is all it was that won them the match but I agree that Rodgers was naive in persisting with what was not working. Just please don't be like the press and glorify the fact that he has spent millions on attacking talent and all he can do is get them to defend against a team that has a fraction of the resources. I guarantee you Rodgers has learned his lesson.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:08 pm

Simple as that.

Nope...Rodgers didn't get it wrong -- he was out-thought and tactically outwitted on that day which I'm sure will be an eye opening lesson learnt by Rodgers. I am sure Chelsea would have settled for an easy night with no fresh injuries to his expensively assembled "second team". Everyone knew we needed 7 points from 3 games to secure the title and this was the last big hurdle for us. Yes we wanted to blow teams away with our cavalier attacking football but it is pretty clear after the first 20mins that we do not have tools to breach their buses so why not just slow down the game and keep it tight and see if opportunities would come later in the game? It was obvious this is a well rehearsed tactics that was carefully planned to get results against superior teams such as Atletico and us so it was pretty surprise that we don't pay attention to their game against Atletico and work out a Plan B.

I like Rodgers and his approach to the game but it is obvious that he, like the team are still lacking in experience and a couple pieces of final jigsaw to make us a great team. There are time when a different approach is needed to get us the results and the team will need to have the winner mentality rather than just try to blow the other teams apart. Hard it may sound but I think our defeat against Chelsea will be positive to us in the long run. I spit at Maurinho's ugly approach but I recognised it to be a masterful approach to win him the game. At the end of the day, while this is an entertainment business it is also a winning business. I'll ask you who came in second to each of Usain Bolt's world record runs? So yeah Rodgers were schooled on Sunday but it is no great shame considering Maurinho's experience. The Premier League is still meant to be ours as it is written in the star just like in 2005 when so many things just went our way. I firmly believe City will drop points this week and we will just closed off our final two games to bring home #19
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:56 pm

Are you insinuating that Mourinho has a special relationship with SG and they hatched a plan for Stevie G to deliberate slip and allow Ba a free run on goal.....this brings into question SG's own goal in the league cup final against Chelsea back in 2005 ...was this also pre planned by Mourinho....Is Steven Gerrard in cohoots with Josie , surely not
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby mramo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:44 pm

After this loss (and potential title losing game), I am not in awe of Brendan's achievements, but highly impressed this season. He has systematically broken down each team through aggressive counter attack & frightening pace.

Brendan will have learnt a lot from watching the Chelsea match video to identify where Chelsea had exploited our weaknesses and how they had prevented us from explosive attacking options. The team got frustrated however Chelsea relied on our unfortunate misplacement through Gerrard'. Chelsea didnt play any better than us - and the 2nd goal was largely irrelevant. All in all we played very well and deserved a draw.

From studying the video, Rodgers may probably understand by now that a point was needed so rather than a continuation to penetrate a stubborn defence and let Chelsea exploit our defence quite high up, he may wish to focus & consolidate by not conceding - I am sure Chelsea went into the game eager for at least the draw, however all changed as a result of Gerrard slip up.

Brendan will totally learn from this and can now store this experience in his "lessons-log". Well done Brendan - manager of the year 2014 to be!
mramo

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:23 pm

LFC1990 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:14 am wrote:Wow supporting the opposite manager over ours thats a new low even for you stu

We went out and played football , The liverpool way, instead of tactics that were dire and not actually playing football. If we go on to come second or third this season I will be proud of the manager and the players for giving their all in EVERY match and not settling for underhand tactics

In what f*cking way is that possibly supporting the opposite manager you absolute f*ck wit. You've probably never even been to Liverpool in your life and you question my support?

Unlike some of the muppets around, just because I support and love a club doesn't mean I can't accept and see its faults and flaws. You live with your head in the clouds, you keep thinking Rodgers got it right, hopefully Rodgers is man enough and wise enough to realise he royally f*cked up! If he does, we could be on the verge of a very bright future, if he has the attitude of yourself, we're going to face a major amount of dissapointment over the coming years.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC1990 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:44 pm

Firstly I can guarantee you I have been to Anfield more than you,

Secondly Rodgers said in his post match news conference that he stuck by his tactics

And lastly look at how you have been going on all season constantly bad mouthing our players as well as believing we wouldbt finish in the top 4 guess that proved you wrong

Your football knowledge is on par with your golfing ability non existent

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:46 pm

devaney » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:28 pm wrote:

Simple as that.

I tell you what I find laughable Stu - YOU! YOU! YOU!

You talk as if getting a draw would have been a relatively simple task against a team that cost a small fortune !! Add to that your somewhat stupid assumption that we will automatically beat Palace and Newcastle leaves me to wonder just what the fk you actually know about the game.

Gerrard's unfortunate mistake cost us the game. SIMPLE AS THAT !!

Gerrard's slip happened in that area and their was a lack of cover due to the tactics employed. Had we set up more defensively he has two defenders behind him, two full backs not so far ahead of the ball and cover around him. Thats a risk of the system we play, unfortunately, you seem incapable of seeing that.

Had Rodgers set the team up for a 0-0... timewasted, defended deep and got us a point, then Mourinho complained after the game their was only going to be one winner, they were the only team trying to win everyone would have been praising his tactical skill quality and knowledge and we'd have all been laughing at Mourinho, instead, a lot of people, yourself included can't see, thats exactly what just happened to us. We played right into his hands. Sometimes you have to admit you f*cked up, I hope our manager is a lot more mature and wise than most of the people on this board.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:00 pm

Kindly point us to the pre-game thread where you suggested we play defensively as to not fall to Mourinoho's tactic ,we are all waiting...Nobody likes a stubborn smarta$$ which thinks wisdom comes out of his a$$ ,retrospect is the lowest form of analysis which you so kindly embrace...

No system is set to address personal player slip-up or mistakes ,your interpretation of SG error is ridicules.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:10 pm

Absolutely agree on Conn's & Stu on this.

Rodgers was naive, look I love the way we play footballer especially this season but sometimes you have to be flexible enough to change it around in some games. Rodgers didn't against Chelsea and we paid the price, and I think he knows that too.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:18 pm

Santa » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:08 pm wrote:
Rodgers didn't get it wrong -- he was out-thought and tactically outwitted on that day which I'm sure will be an eye opening lesson learnt by Rodgers....................

I like Rodgers and his approach to the game but it is obvious that he, like the team are still lacking in experience and a couple pieces of final jigsaw to make us a great team..............

There are time when a different approach is needed to get us the results and the team will need to have the winner mentality rather than just try to blow the other teams apart................

So yeah Rodgers were schooled on Sunday but it is no great shame considering Maurinho's experience.

On the one hand you say "Rodgers didn't get it wrong" and then follow up with "Rodgers were schooled on Sunday"

Seems like not all of what Stu said was wrong then ?   :D

Stu the Red has been getting a lot of flak for daring to suggest that BR was tactically outwitted against Mourinho. A lot of the flak is imo down to some just taking the opportunity to have a dig at a member they have issues with.

Personally I tend to side with Stu's perception of the match.

We played exactly the type of game Maureen expected i.e. a full on "Charge of the Light Brigade" AND given our propensity for defensive errors/accidents Maureen was more than happy for Chelsea to sit on their a'rse and wait for our inevitable error to occur.

I won't condemn BR for looking to win the game BUT I do question (like Stu) his tactics for this match. It was a game we could afford to draw but certainly NOT one to lose.

In this respect our usual "gung ho" full on frontal assault against Chelsea's prepared position was imo unnecessary and naive.

Some will argue that we were doing ok until Gerrards mistake/slip , they obviously fail to recognise that it was precisely the kind of mistake/slip that Chelsea were expecting and  waiting for (and believe me if Stevie G hadn't made that error/slip somebody else probably would have).

The games over, we're all gutted, some of you may not agree with Stu's (or my) post mortem of the game, fair enough, but can we leave out the personal attacks on our respective integrity or supposed support for the club.

I'm happy that BR's our manager and i'm not calling for his head, but like Stu, I think BR got it wrong the other day.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:30 pm

woof woof ! » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:18 pm wrote:
Rodgers didn't get it wrong -- he was out-thought and tactically outwitted on that day which I'm sure will be an eye opening lesson learnt by Rodgers....................

I like Rodgers and his approach to the game but it is obvious that he, like the team are still lacking in experience and a couple pieces of final jigsaw to make us a great team..............

There are time when a different approach is needed to get us the results and the team will need to have the winner mentality rather than just try to blow the other teams apart................

So yeah Rodgers were schooled on Sunday but it is no great shame considering Maurinho's experience.

On the one hand you say "Rodgers didn't get it wrong" and then follow up with "Rodgers were schooled on Sunday"

Stu the Red has been getting a lot of flak for daring to suggest that BR was tactically outwitted against Mourinho. A lot of the flak is imo down to some just taking the opportunity to have a dig at a member they have issues with.

We played exactly the type of game Maureen expected i.e. a full on "Charge of the Light Brigade" AND given our propensity for defensive errors/accidents Maureen was more than happy for Chelsea to sit on their a'rse and wait for our inevitable error to occur.

I won't condemn BR for looking to win the game BUT I do question (like Stu) his tactics for this match. It was a game we could afford to draw but certainly NOT one to lose.

In this respect our usual "gung ho" full on frontal assault against Chelsea's prepared position was imo unnecessary and naive.

Some will argue that we were doing ok until Gerrards mistake/slip , they obviously fail to recognise that it was precisely the kind of mistake/slip that Chelsea were expecting and  waiting for (and believe me if Stevie G hadn't made that error/slip somebody else probably would have).

The games over, we're all gutted, some of you may not agree with Stu's (or my) post mortem of the game, fair enough, but can we leave out the personal attacks on our respective integrity or supposed support for the club.

I'm happy that BR's our manager and i'm not calling for his head, but like Stu, I think BR got it wrong the other day.

Absolutely  :nod
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:34 pm

Sorry Woof I disagree. I saw the match live and again afterwards. In what way did we have any kind of a serious problem in the first 45 minutes prior to Gerrard's unfortunate mistake. Why do you think a draw would have been good enough? Isn't that taking things slightly for granted. I can just hear the criticism if we had played for a draw and then subsequently drawn with either Palace or Newcastle. Everybody would have been saying we should have played our attacking game against Chelsea and gone for the win.Quite frankly mate it is a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

On the subject of Stu I find his constant criticism of all things Liverpool related tedious. Skrtel and Lucas are just two examples. He's a big boy. He constructed his own oversized pedestal so forgive me if I think it is inevitable that he will fall off it at times. I like a lot of his stuff. It is just a shame that he is totally incapable of realising that like all of us he gets it wrong at times.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:41 pm

BR had an option to play for a win at ANFIELD or play for a win at LONDON ,i think he rightfully preferred we go for it on our home-ground in front of our fans instead of going all out in London.

And you lads keep forgetting Chelsea Won because of an individual mistake and not any tactic ,They didn't produce any substantial threat to our keeper ,so i can't help thinking that it's all shellow retrospect analysis. Bottom line in the lack of catastrophic errors on our part ,the game would have probably ended in a draw ,as you all hoped.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:09 pm

only me » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:41 pm wrote:

BR had an option to play for a win at ANFIELD or play for a win at LONDON ,i think he rightfully preferred we go for it on our home-ground in front of our fans instead of going all out in London.

And you lads keep forgetting Chelsea Won because of an individual mistake and not any tactic ,They didn't produce any substantial threat to our keeper ,so i can't help thinking that it's all shellow retrospect analysis. Bottom line in the lack of catastrophic errors on our part ,the game would have probably ended in a draw ,as you all hoped.

You completely missed Woof's point didn't you
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion