Brendan Rodgers thread (signs extended contract)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:35 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:24 pm wrote:Mourinho never even dignified Rodgers with a handshake and disappeared down the tunnel  ,the man is the total antithesis of Rodgers
and I'm so happy we have the latter as our manager because even in his post match interview he exuded humility and class.

He is a disrespectful dog and English football gains nothing from the cu'nt being here.
Chelsea winning the league or the CL will make me vomit, because they are everything I hate about football: the players, the manager and the fans are all absolutely disgusting and vile. Fu'ck them!
In B-Rod we trust!
:buttrock
Thommo's perm

Postby Boocity » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:43 pm

Thommo's perm » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:35 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:24 pm wrote:Mourinho never even dignified Rodgers with a handshake and disappeared down the tunnel  ,the man is the total antithesis of Rodgers
and I'm so happy we have the latter as our manager because even in his post match interview he exuded humility and class.

He is a disrespectful dog and English football gains nothing from the cu'nt being here.
Chelsea winning the league or the CL will make me vomit, because they are everything I hate about football: the players, the manager and the fans are all absolutely disgusting and vile. Fu'ck them!
In B-Rod we trust!
:buttrock

They won't win either, today was their cup final
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:45 pm

Stu the Red » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:14 pm wrote:Rodgers got it badly wrong today, naivety at its worst.

Its will be a massive shame if this costs us the title. He needs to learn from this as we may well have blew our best chance in years of winning a league a title.

I disagree. If they had done us on the break when we had numbers forward then maybe, but they didn't. We lost because of a poor error by the skipper that could have happened at any moment in any game. I'm absolutely heartbroken for him.

I guess the alternative way to have approached the game would have been to sit back ourselves and tried to sucker them on the break but I suspect that would not have worked.

Really tough loss, toughest I have known in I don't know how long. To have the title in our own hands with just 3 to play and then to have to rely on others to help us out is demoralising.

It's not the time to be pointing fingers at players or the manager.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:51 pm

"We cant afford to slip up" then he goes and slips up
The football gods are cruel and heartless
:down:
:laugh:
Thommo's perm

Postby kazza » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:59 pm

I think that had Rodgers set up the team for the draw and defended deep we still would have lost and everyone would have said he bottled it. We played the right way in the circumstances but needed a moment of brilliance from someone or luck but it never came. They were there to kill creativity and sadly it worked.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:18 pm

we just should have went out not to get beat and parked our own bus  :D  played that cretinous man at his own game.
anyway its done and we did gift them a goal which was always going to make it harder to score and especially as we are what you see and from the bench very limited. we went at it like mourinho knew we would (phonecall from victor  :eyebrow ) and set up accordingly. his tactics where anti-football imo and they got lucky.
having another option that can change how we play is something rodgers needs to look at over the summer as its not worth moaning about now with 2 games to go  :laugh:
its out of our hands now and all we can do is make sure that city have to rely on their G.D.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Red Focus » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:14 am

Mou was being practical in this game. He knew that if he went out with an all out attack, he could be given the same treatments as Spurs, Everton and Arsenal. So he crowded out Suarez and took advantage of us without a fully fit Sturridge. He was lucky in that everything pan out for him to the letter. Brendan said he would never play the way Chelsea did, well I dare to disagree. The objective is to get the 3 points, we are not making a Hollywood movie about a football game that is entertaining to watch. There is no point playing them off the park and lose at the end of the day. Brendan should take a lesson from here and try to park a bus against certain opponents at times when needed and not be too predictable.
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby ConnO'var » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:28 am

Scottbot » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:45 pm wrote:
Stu the Red » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:14 pm wrote:Rodgers got it badly wrong today, naivety at its worst.

Its will be a massive shame if this costs us the title. He needs to learn from this as we may well have blew our best chance in years of winning a league a title.

I disagree. If they had done us on the break when we had numbers forward then maybe, but they didn't. We lost because of a poor error by the skipper that could have happened at any moment in any game. I'm absolutely heartbroken for him.

I guess the alternative way to have approached the game would have been to sit back ourselves and tried to sucker them on the break but I suspect that would not have worked.

Really tough loss, toughest I have known in I don't know how long. To have the title in our own hands with just 3 to play and then to have to rely on others to help us out is demoralising.

I agree scott.... its not the time to be pointing fingers at anyone even remotely associated with the club.
But I disagree that it was not naive of BR. Obviously it is easy to say after the fact as hindsight is always 20/20..... but BR did make a bad error here. I am 100% sure that he will learn from it and only become better because of it.

When it became clear that Chelsea had been setup to defend.... and 2 walls of 4 who hardly ventured over the half way line, is as clear a signal as it can possibly be....... we should have taken a long hard look and realized that a draw would be the best case result here. Extremely unlikely we would have broken that formation down especially knowing full well that is what Mourinho specializes at.

We should have sat back as well and let the stalemate draw out. Instead of us getting frustrated, we may have very well frustrated them instead... If they then start pushing for a result, we could have open up their defense with the speed available down the flanks and the incisiveness of coutinho. Our guys up front simply could not cope with the complete lack of space playing our usual game.

If we had taken the decision to accept a draw, we would have put Man city under greater pressure and be guaranteed at least 2nd place as there is no way Chelsea would be able to overcome a 5 point deficit with only 2 games remaining. Plus, we would not now have to worry about geeing up the team after such a bitter dissapointment. But we chose to live by the sword and i hope that we don't die by it.

Definitely a mistake but one I can understand. So yes, I agree with Stu that it was naive of BR. Such is life. But isn't everything clearer when you are the visionary on monday morning and after the fact? Because if you had asked me before the match, I would have told you to just go for it. But that's because I am a fan and I let my heart overule my head. But BR is the manager.... he should have been better equipped to make the call and have a back-up plan as the game unfolded the way it did. So yes.... a little naive.

But he has done wonders this season already and has my full and utter support... and i am NOT prepared to throw in the towel yet. If arsenal lose today, the bitters will still have all to play for.... and hopefully, they can hold Citeh.
ConnO'var

Postby damjan193 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:10 am

ConnO'var » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:28 am wrote:

I agree scott.... its not the time to be pointing fingers at anyone even remotely associated with the club.
But I disagree that it was not naive of BR. Obviously it is easy to say after the fact as hindsight is always 20/20..... but BR did make a bad error here. I am 100% sure that he will learn from it and only become better because of it.

When it became clear that Chelsea had been setup to defend.... and 2 walls of 4 who hardly ventured over the half way line, is as clear a signal as it can possibly be....... we should have taken a long hard look and realized that a draw would be the best case result here. Extremely unlikely we would have broken that formation down especially knowing full well that is what Mourinho specializes at.

We should have sat back as well and let the stalemate draw out. Instead of us getting frustrated, we may have very well frustrated them instead... If they then start pushing for a result, we could have open up their defense with the speed available down the flanks and the incisiveness of coutinho. Our guys up front simply could not cope with the complete lack of space playing our usual game.

If we had taken the decision to accept a draw, we would have put Man city under greater pressure and be guaranteed at least 2nd place as there is no way Chelsea would be able to overcome a 5 point deficit with only 2 games remaining. Plus, we would not now have to worry about geeing up the team after such a bitter dissapointment. But we chose to live by the sword and i hope that we don't die by it.

Definitely a mistake but one I can understand. So yes, I agree with Stu that it was naive of BR. Such is life. But isn't everything clearer when you are the visionary on monday morning and after the fact? Because if you had asked me before the match, I would have told you to just go for it. But that's because I am a fan and I let my heart overule my head. But BR is the manager.... he should have been better equipped to make the call and have a back-up plan as the game unfolded the way it did. So yes.... a little naive.

But he has done wonders this season already and has my full and utter support... and i am NOT prepared to throw in the towel yet. If arsenal lose today, the bitters will still have all to play for.... and hopefully, they can hold Citeh.

I agree, good post.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:45 am

Mourino is a bullshi'tting hypocrite who criticised others for using the tactics he used yesterday.
I would rather our manager have said that chelsea did what others couldnt do, but that we will learn and adapt our play in the future should teams set up like that against us again. Not fussy on the "two buses" comment as it admits he got it wrong and tw@tty got it right.
Much better to be magnanimous in defeat, no matter how much it hurts
By the way, this is the last time I will be mentioning that portugese pr'ick.
:glare:
Thommo's perm

Postby metalhead » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:17 pm

ConnO'var » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:28 am wrote:

Top post conn, 100%
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:40 pm

Why is everyone ignoring the fact that we conceded a goal due to a brain freeze moment by our captain? This whole talk of tactics and naivety is irrelevant it all boils up to a personal non-football related mistake by Gerrard. It could have happened whether we defended attacked or both. We didn't lose because we insisted on attacking we lost because of a gross MISTAKE of a player.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:21 pm

I just wonder what people would be saying had we sat back and still got beat ( let's face it they are better at that and have the personel for it)
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:59 pm

only me » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:40 am wrote:Why is everyone ignoring the fact that we conceded a goal due to a brain freeze moment by our captain? This whole talk of tactics and naivety is irrelevant it all boils up to a personal non-football related mistake by Gerrard. It could have happened whether we defended attacked or both. We didn't lose because we insisted on attacking we lost because of a gross MISTAKE of a player.

In a way it's lucky it was someone of the stature of Gerrard who made that mistake because imagine the meltdown if it was someone like Lucas or Johnson? They would have been absolutely pilloried and a mistake of that magnitude probably would have finished their Liverpool career (a la John Arne Riise).
I bet there was a few players in our squad who thought to themselves when they got home last night I'm f##king glad it was Stevie doing that and not me.
As I said in another thread though even after Gerrard made the mistake there was still an hour left to salvage something out of the game, it wasn't as if Gerrard did that in the 89th minute, there was loads of time left but we didn't even manage create a single clear cut chance, it's pointless blaming one player when as a team we just didn't turn up on the day.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:20 pm

they where never ever, ever, ever going to come and make a game of it  :no  not in a million years. they where well schooled and had been practicing that all week. they were at it from the get go.
gerrard might have made a howler but we still had plenty of time to get back in to it, but all we could collectively muster was a limp. the tripe they served up is so hard to play against and polar a opposite to what we have been accustomed to all season. we dont play that way and im happy with that but also understand that sometimes you have to do it and if anything proves that we need an alternative style.
not having a big squad and a poor bench meant we have pretty much flogged the same horse all season and still were on the verge of a 12 game winning streak, we have blitzed some good sides with a bunch of kids and tore up the scoring charts while making anfield feared again. we have our main objective which was C.L and the sweetner was that it was automatic. we still have an outside shot of lifting the title if we can win our next 2 so as disappointing as yesterday was im still happy enough with the season we've had and feel we have loads to be proud of.
the players have given it all this season and some look shattered, after the manner of that defeat rodgers will have his work cut out picking them up and its important he does. we need to avoid a meltdown
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion