Brendan Rodgers thread (signs extended contract)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:23 pm

TRANSFERS IN
Fabio Borini - 10.5m
Joe Allen - 15m
Oussama Assaidi - 2.4m
Samed Yesil - 1m
Daniel Sturridge - 12m
Phillipe Coutinho - 8.6m
Luis Alberto - 6.8m
Iago Aspas - 7m
Simon Mignolet - 10m
Mamadou Sakho - 15m
Tiago Ilori - 7m
Kolo Toure - Free
Joao Carlos - 0.8m

TRANSFERS OUT
Fabio Aurelio - Free
David Amoo - Free
Stephen Darby - Free
Dirk Kuyt - 0.8m
Maxi Rodriguez - Free
Alberto Aquilani - Undisclosed
Craig Bellamy - Free
Andy Carroll - 15.5m
Jay Spearing - 2m
Charlie Adam - 5m
Nathan Eccleston - Undisclosed
Joe Cole - Free
Alexander Doni - Free
Jonjo Shelvey - 6m
Stewart Downing - 6m
Dani Pacheco - Free
Adam Morgan - Free
Danny Wilson - Free
Peter Gulasci - Free

As you can see, BR has improved the squad significantly as the players we have now are better compared to the ones who have left. None of the players that has been sold would make it into our team this season, except maybe Maxi Rod.

However, there are too many dodgy transfers that seem pointless - Aspas, Alberto, Borini and Assaidi. Really baffled by why Alberto doesn't start more often seeing that he does very well each time he makes a cameo. As much as I would like Borini to succeed here, I wouldn't have an issue if he gets sold.

Only Sturridge, Coutinho, Sakho, Allen and Toure have been good purchases. Yesil, lori and Joao Carlos are great prospects for the future. When I say that Allen has been a good purchase above, I meant that he contributes to the team. We did pay too much for him, but he does his job. In fact, I feel he does more than Lucas. The only fault with his signing is that it cost double what it should have been.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:39 pm

maypaxvobiscum » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:23 pm wrote:TRANSFERS IN
Fabio Borini - 10.5m
Joe Allen - 15m
Oussama Assaidi - 2.4m
Samed Yesil - 1m
Daniel Sturridge - 12m
Phillipe Coutinho - 8.6m
Luis Alberto - 6.8m
Iago Aspas - 7m
Simon Mignolet - 10m
Mamadou Sakho - 15m
Tiago Ilori - 7m
Kolo Toure - Free
Joao Carlos - 0.8m

TRANSFERS OUT
Fabio Aurelio - Free
David Amoo - Free
Stephen Darby - Free
Dirk Kuyt - 0.8m
Maxi Rodriguez - Free
Alberto Aquilani - Undisclosed
Craig Bellamy - Free
Andy Carroll - 15.5m
Jay Spearing - 2m
Charlie Adam - 5m
Nathan Eccleston - Undisclosed
Joe Cole - Free
Alexander Doni - Free
Jonjo Shelvey - 6m
Stewart Downing - 6m
Dani Pacheco - Free
Adam Morgan - Free
Danny Wilson - Free
Peter Gulasci - Free

As you can see, BR has improved the squad significantly as the players we have now are better compared to the ones who have left.

However, there are too many dodgy transfers that seem pointless - Aspas, Alberto, Borini and Assaidi. Really baffled by why Alberto doesn't start more often seeing that he does very well each time he makes a cameo. As much as I would like Borini to succeed here, I wouldn't have an issue if he gets sold.

Only Sturridge, Coutinho, Sakho, Allen and Toure have been good purchases. Yesil, lori and Joao Carlos are great prospects for the future.

again it comes down to opinion max
you cant say mingy is an improvement on reina.
for me sakho barely looks an improvement over coates.
downing is ten times the player aspas is.
toure is no improvement on carra and he replaced shelvey with alberto where as he would have played the former during the season.
teixeira was bought by kenny not brendan.
if you look at our bench and especially the situation we find ourselves in when sturridge and hendo are missing, it baffles me why people claim that he has improved the squad significantly.
i agree brendan has done many wonderful things with the club but the transfer market isnt one of them
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:54 pm

red till i die!! » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:39 pm wrote:if you look at our bench and especially the situation we find ourselves in when sturridge and hendo are missing, it baffles me why people claim that he has improved the squad significantly.
i agree brendan has done many wonderful things with the club but the transfer market isnt one of them

Absolutely spot on and well said.

Hopefully this summer is when he starts to put this right.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:55 pm

Coates barely even played to begin with so how can he be compared to a regular like Sakho?
You can't compare Toure and Carra as well because the latter retired, he wasn't sold.

Of course I'm not happy with the bench. It looks horrible. But that's also due to us not being able to secure our primary targets, and the lack of European football. And it's not like the players he sold are lighting up the league with a different team after all. If you want a manager who made horrible signings, look no further than Kenny and Roy.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:13 pm

maypaxvobiscum » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:55 pm wrote:Coates barely even played to begin with so how can he be compared to a regular like Sakho?
You can't compare Toure and Carra as well because the latter retired, he wasn't sold.

Of course I'm not happy with the bench. It looks horrible. But that's also due to us not being able to secure our primary targets, and the lack of European football. And it's not like the players he sold are lighting up the league with a different team after all. If you want a manager who made horrible signings, look no further than Kenny and Roy.

So because the Spaniard, Hodgson and Kenny wasted money that means its ok for Rodgers too?

???

Rodgers is doing very well so far, next season and this summer will be a major test for him. He has to get the transfers right, anyone can sign a duff player, anyone can make an error in judgement, however, for it to keep happening is unacceptable. Rodgers needs to rectify his mistakes in the market and improve dramatically. End of.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:26 pm

Stu the Red » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:13 pm wrote:
maypaxvobiscum » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:55 pm wrote:Coates barely even played to begin with so how can he be compared to a regular like Sakho?

So because the Spaniard, Hodgson and Kenny wasted money that means its ok for Rodgers too?

???

Rodgers is doing very well so far, next season and this summer will be a major test for him. He has to get the transfers right, anyone can sign a duff player, anyone can make an error in judgement, however, for it to keep happening is unacceptable. Rodgers needs to rectify his mistakes in the market and improve dramatically. End of.

FFS Stu you are pathetic ,Rodgers by far is the best Manager this Year and we will be lucky to keep him for the next 5 years ,he doesn't have to improve "Dramatically" he needs the directors to get their Shiite together and support him. You have no understanding whatsoever of the game.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:36 pm

I have always held the view that Mignolet is not a better replacement than Reina, not by a long way. However when you look at his signing fee - £12M. In todays transfer money it really isn't a lot. Most top CL keepers would be £20M plus. I would argue despite his flaws he is worth the money we paid.

It also makes Rodgers signings of Coutinho and Sturridge absolute steals. To think we paid a little over £20M for the two for me outweighs the poor signings he has made in Aspas and Borini.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:39 pm

only me » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:26 pm wrote:
Stu the Red » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:13 pm wrote:

???

FFS Stu you are pathetic ,Rodgers by far is the best Manager this Year and we will be lucky to keep him for the next 5 years ,he doesn't have to improve "Dramatically" he needs the directors to get their Shiite together and support him. You have no understanding whatsoever of the game.

You may want to learn to grasp the english language first...

Read it again! :laugh:
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:01 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:36 pm wrote:I have always held the view that Mignolet is not a better replacement than Reina, not by a long way. However when you look at his signing fee - £12M. In todays transfer money it really isn't a lot. Most top CL keepers would be £20M plus. I would argue despite his flaws he is worth the money we paid.

It also makes Rodgers signings of Coutinho and Sturridge absolute steals. To think we paid a little over £20M for the two for me outweighs the poor signings he has made in Aspas and Borini.

No-one is questioning the signings of Coutinho and Sturridge. Not even slightly. They were both tremendous signings in terms of value and contribution. I do believe we've paid in the region of what they were worth to their clubs at the time. Coutinho however for me is now worth £25,000,000-£30,000,000 and Sturridge easily £20,000,000 to £25,000,000 if not a bit more. Both have proven to be fantastic signings. (regardless of anyones opinions on valuation).

The other side of the argument is though, if he can sign that level of quality for that price, why are stuck with a goalkeeper who is probably worth £4,000,000 - £6,000,000 at best and we've well over paid for.

As I've said earlier, Mignolet is a flop. Simple as that. Basing it on his ability and his performance alone rather than team performance then there is no other logical label.

Rodgers has to do better in the transfer market, starting this summer. To win the league this season would be tremendous, but for him to truely prove he's upto the job long term, there now would need to be a continuity into next season.

Just to clarify, that doesn't mean I think if we win it this year we MUST win it next year, if we finish second or third and 8 or nine points off top spot after winning it this year, that would still confirm the improvement as something more than a one off good season... but the signings must be good and make an impact this summer. We can't afford any Aspas's, Alberto's, Illori's or Mignolet's this summer.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:03 pm

sakho has played 16 games for the club mate and already he's a regular  :oh: 
coates didnt feature much last season and injury ruled him out of this one, he has played 24 games and scored 2 before that while delivering some decent performances, he has had a few bad moments just like sakho but how one ended up costing 10mil more ill never know. sakho is the most expensive defender in the clubs history and looks nothing like warranting that title.
fair enough carra retired but we replaced him with a player that should have retired as well, last year carra was ever present during the last six months where as now we cringe if toure's name appears anywhere other than the bench.
my point was that we are replacing players with others, who more often than not, turn out to be worse.
if downing was on the bench he would be a better option than aspas, likewise shelvey for alberto.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:13 pm

red till i die!! » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:03 pm wrote:

sakho has played 16 games for the club mate and already he's a regular  :oh: 
coates didnt feature much last season and injury ruled him out of this one, he has played 24 games and scored 2 before that while delivering some decent performances, he has had a few bad moments just like sakho but how one ended up costing 10mil more ill never know. sakho is the most expensive defender in the clubs history and looks nothing like warranting that title.
fair enough carra retired but we replaced him with a player that should have retired as well, last year carra was ever present during the last six months where as now we cringe if toure's name appears anywhere other than the bench.
my point was that we are replacing players with others, who more often than not, turn out to be worse.
if downing was on the bench he would be a better option than aspas, likewise shelvey for alberto.

To be honest, you should know this manager is now perfect.

How dare we praise his efforts but question his transfer policy?  :eyebrow
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:26 pm

Moyes in!
Thommo's perm

Postby LFC1990 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:56 pm

Firstly Brendan wanted to bring in Konoplyanka but the people above him ***** that deal, We will never know if he would have improved our season or not,

Secondly we spent 46 million in transfers this season and sold 26 million worth of players giving us a net spend of around 20 million.

United spent 70 million and sold players for 1 million giving them a total cost of 68 million.

Arsenal 45 out 11 in total 34

Chelsea 112 out 67 in total 45

Man citeh 102 out 10 in total 92

Aspas may have been a 9 million flop but Fellaini was nearly 30 million worth of flop.

We have made mistakes in the transfer windows but compared to the football fees nowadays they arent exactly costly ones.

Especially as most of the players brought in arent in their peak of their careers so can still improve or have a sell on value,

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:44 pm

Not interested in what other teams have wasted money on and its no  excuse for us wasting the millions we have. It must stop and it must stop now. Simple as that. The net spend arguement is complete dog *****... We need to spend what we have properly and not fritter it away on Sh*t
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:29 am

Jesus ladies...I didn't say ALL his signings were muck, but some deffo have been. And we don't have oil money to play with.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion