Brendan Rodgers thread (signs extended contract)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:10 am

Stu the Red » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:01 pm wrote:
SouthCoastShankly » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:36 pm wrote:I have always held the view that Mignolet is not a better replacement than Reina, not by a long way. However when you look at his signing fee - £12M. In todays transfer money it really isn't a lot. Most top CL keepers would be £20M plus. I would argue despite his flaws he is worth the money we paid.

It also makes Rodgers signings of Coutinho and Sturridge absolute steals. To think we paid a little over £20M for the two for me outweighs the poor signings he has made in Aspas and Borini.

No-one is questioning the signings of Coutinho and Sturridge. Not even slightly. They were both tremendous signings in terms of value and contribution. I do believe we've paid in the region of what they were worth to their clubs at the time. Coutinho however for me is now worth £25,000,000-£30,000,000 and Sturridge easily £20,000,000 to £25,000,000 if not a bit more. Both have proven to be fantastic signings. (regardless of anyones opinions on valuation).

The other side of the argument is though, if he can sign that level of quality for that price, why are stuck with a goalkeeper who is probably worth £4,000,000 - £6,000,000 at best and we've well over paid for.

As I've said earlier, Mignolet is a flop. Simple as that. Basing it on his ability and his performance alone rather than team performance then there is no other logical label.

Rodgers has to do better in the transfer market, starting this summer. To win the league this season would be tremendous, but for him to truely prove he's upto the job long term, there now would need to be a continuity into next season.

Just to clarify, that doesn't mean I think if we win it this year we MUST win it next year, if we finish second or third and 8 or nine points off top spot after winning it this year, that would still confirm the improvement as something more than a one off good season... but the signings must be good and make an impact this summer. We can't afford any Aspas's, Alberto's, Illori's or Mignolet's this summer.

I'm not Mignolet's biggest fan... In fact I think he is horrendous with the ball at his feet and also quite weak at coming for crosses... But he is a tremendous shot stopper and his reflex saves are top notch... In fact he has saved us on more than a few times... So to label him as a flop is grossly bias and unfair... Can we have a better keeper? Yes, with alot more money... Can we do alot worse? Definitely! In fact Reina in his last season was not stopping much of anything... I've never seen him make saves which would make me say " thank god for Reina... Otherwise we would've lost points"...with mignolet there are more than a few games like that..
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:22 am

red till i die!! » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:03 pm wrote:
maypaxvobiscum » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:55 pm wrote:Coates barely even played to begin with so how can he be compared to a regular like Sakho?
You can't compare Toure and Carra as well because the latter retired, he wasn't sold.

Of course I'm not happy with the bench. It looks horrible. But that's also due to us not being able to secure our primary targets, and the lack of European football. And it's not like the players he sold are lighting up the league with a different team after all. If you want a manager who made horrible signings, look no further than Kenny and Roy.

sakho has played 16 games for the club mate and already he's a regular  :oh: 
coates didnt feature much last season and injury ruled him out of this one, he has played 24 games and scored 2 before that while delivering some decent performances, he has had a few bad moments just like sakho but how one ended up costing 10mil more ill never know. sakho is the most expensive defender in the clubs history and looks nothing like warranting that title.
fair enough carra retired but we replaced him with a player that should have retired as well, last year carra was ever present during the last six months where as now we cringe if toure's name appears anywhere other than the bench.
my point was that we are replacing players with others, who more often than not, turn out to be worse.
if downing was on the bench he would be a better option than aspas, likewise shelvey for alberto.

We needed someone with the experience of winning the title and leadership qualities hence the Toure signing. Even if he doesn't play, he's a great leader and that helps seeing how young our team is. We only cringe is Toure is on the teamsheet because of his two high profile errors. Prior to that, he was immense.

Sakho is someone whom I've been advocating to sign for the past 3 or 4 seasons. He's a fantastic player and it's his first season with us. Coates on the other hand, was a hot prospect for the future but at 23, he should find another club.

Shelvey is not a better option than Alberto, who is so much better. I'll agree with you on Downing over Aspas. I'll also agree with you over why we bought players like Aspas and Alberto to begin with, if they don't play. We could have saved that money and stuck with Borini and Suso. I don't deny that there are players whom should not have been purchased, but it's not as bad as the previous managers who fked up on a much larger scale where transfers are worth and not getting anywhere near where BR has brought us to.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:25 am

maguskwt » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:10 am wrote:
Stu the Red » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:01 pm wrote:
SouthCoastShankly » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:36 pm wrote:I have always held the view that Mignolet is not a better replacement than Reina, not by a long way. However when you look at his signing fee - £12M. In todays transfer money it really isn't a lot. Most top CL keepers would be £20M plus. I would argue despite his flaws he is worth the money we paid.

It also makes Rodgers signings of Coutinho and Sturridge absolute steals. To think we paid a little over £20M for the two for me outweighs the poor signings he has made in Aspas and Borini.

No-one is questioning the signings of Coutinho and Sturridge. Not even slightly. They were both tremendous signings in terms of value and contribution. I do believe we've paid in the region of what they were worth to their clubs at the time. Coutinho however for me is now worth £25,000,000-£30,000,000 and Sturridge easily £20,000,000 to £25,000,000 if not a bit more. Both have proven to be fantastic signings. (regardless of anyones opinions on valuation).

The other side of the argument is though, if he can sign that level of quality for that price, why are stuck with a goalkeeper who is probably worth £4,000,000 - £6,000,000 at best and we've well over paid for.

As I've said earlier, Mignolet is a flop. Simple as that. Basing it on his ability and his performance alone rather than team performance then there is no other logical label.

Rodgers has to do better in the transfer market, starting this summer. To win the league this season would be tremendous, but for him to truely prove he's upto the job long term, there now would need to be a continuity into next season.

Just to clarify, that doesn't mean I think if we win it this year we MUST win it next year, if we finish second or third and 8 or nine points off top spot after winning it this year, that would still confirm the improvement as something more than a one off good season... but the signings must be good and make an impact this summer. We can't afford any Aspas's, Alberto's, Illori's or Mignolet's this summer.

I'm not Mignolet's biggest fan... In fact I think he is horrendous with the ball at his feet and also quite weak at coming for crosses... But he is a tremendous shot stopper and his reflex saves are top notch... In fact he has saved us on more than a few times... So to label him as a flop is grossly bias and unfair... Can we have a better keeper? Yes, with alot more money... Can we do alot worse? Definitely! In fact Reina in his last season was not stopping much of anything... I've never seen him make saves which would make me say " thank god for Reina... Otherwise we would've lost points"...with mignolet there are more than a few games like that..

That is because Mignolet's positioning is shocking and he has to dive around like a cat on steroids, where as Reina use to be in the right position. Mignolet has good reflexes and is agile... unfortunately he lacks in just about every other area.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:27 am

maypaxvobiscum » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:22 am wrote:
red till i die!! » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:03 pm wrote:
maypaxvobiscum » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:55 pm wrote:Coates barely even played to begin with so how can he be compared to a regular like Sakho?
You can't compare Toure and Carra as well because the latter retired, he wasn't sold.

Of course I'm not happy with the bench. It looks horrible. But that's also due to us not being able to secure our primary targets, and the lack of European football. And it's not like the players he sold are lighting up the league with a different team after all. If you want a manager who made horrible signings, look no further than Kenny and Roy.

sakho has played 16 games for the club mate and already he's a regular  :oh: 
coates didnt feature much last season and injury ruled him out of this one, he has played 24 games and scored 2 before that while delivering some decent performances, he has had a few bad moments just like sakho but how one ended up costing 10mil more ill never know. sakho is the most expensive defender in the clubs history and looks nothing like warranting that title.
fair enough carra retired but we replaced him with a player that should have retired as well, last year carra was ever present during the last six months where as now we cringe if toure's name appears anywhere other than the bench.
my point was that we are replacing players with others, who more often than not, turn out to be worse.
if downing was on the bench he would be a better option than aspas, likewise shelvey for alberto.

We needed someone with the experience of winning the title and leadership qualities hence the Toure signing. Even if he doesn't play, he's a great leader and that helps seeing how young our team is. We only cringe is Toure is on the teamsheet because of his two high profile errors. Prior to that, he was immense.

Sakho is someone whom I've been advocating to sign for the past 3 or 4 seasons. He's a fantastic player and it's his first season with us. Coates on the other hand, was a hot prospect for the future but at 23, he should find another club.

Shelvey is not a better option than Alberto, who is so much better. I'll agree with you on Downing over Aspas. I'll also agree with you over why we bought players like Aspas and Alberto to begin with, if they don't play. We could have saved that money and stuck with Borini and Suso. I don't deny that there are players whom should not have been purchased, but it's not as bad as the previous managers who fked up on a much larger scale where transfers are worth and not getting anywhere near where BR has brought us to.

Behave yourself, Alberto better than Shelvey? :laugh:
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:57 pm

Stu the Red » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:25 am wrote:
That is because Mignolet's positioning is shocking and he has to dive around like a cat on steroids, where as Reina use to be in the right position. Mignolet has good reflexes and is agile... unfortunately he lacks in just about every other area.

:laugh:  I knew that argument's gonna come... there were a good fair amount of times Reina had let in goals at his near post...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:13 pm

maguskwt » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:57 pm wrote:
Stu the Red » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:25 am wrote:

:laugh:  I knew that argument's gonna come... there were a good fair amount of times Reina had let in goals at his near post...

Who's mentioned the near post you muppet? ???
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:14 pm

Rodgers got it badly wrong today, naivety at its worst.

Its will be a massive shame if this costs us the title. He needs to learn from this as we may well have blew our best chance in years of winning a league a title.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:19 pm

Stu the Red » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:14 pm wrote:Rodgers got it badly wrong today, naivety at its worst.

Its will be a massive shame if this costs us the title. He needs to learn from this as we may well have blew our best chance in years of winning a league a title.

How do you work that out?
We were comfortably in control until Gerrard made 2 mistakes within about a second of each other. Can't blame the manager for individual errors like that.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:31 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:19 pm wrote:
Stu the Red » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:14 pm wrote:Rodgers got it badly wrong today, naivety at its worst.

We were comfortably in control until Gerrard made 2 mistakes within about a second of each other. Can't blame the manager for individual errors like that.

Are you for real?

Any clueless f*ck wit could have told you how Chelsea would set up... Absolutely anyone.

Away at Chelsea we hardly created anything, they're very solid at the back, we didn't NEED to win today and I thought we were very wreckless in the numbers we were committing forward. We should have set up today not to get beat and gone into the match with a completely different game plan than the one we had. You have to adapt and you have to play the opposition sometimes in big games, its exactly what Mourinho done and thats why they left with three points and we've blown our best chance in 25 years of winning the league.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:33 pm

Yeah. BR was naive. We just needed a draw and we should have been tighter at the back instead of sticking to our usual style. Very disappointing.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby metalhead » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:39 pm

Very good point Stu,

I agree maybe today was better being set up playing for a draw instead of trying to get a win, which completely backfired.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:56 pm

Stu the Red » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:31 pm wrote:

Are you for real?

Any clueless f*ck wit could have told you how Chelsea would set up... Absolutely anyone.

Away at Chelsea we hardly created anything, they're very solid at the back, we didn't NEED to win today and I thought we were very wreckless in the numbers we were committing forward. We should have set up today not to get beat and gone into the match with a completely different game plan than the one we had. You have to adapt and you have to play the opposition sometimes in big games, its exactly what Mourinho done and thats why they left with three points and we've blown our best chance in 25 years of winning the league.

We had Gerrard, Allen and Lucas in midfield, how negative do you want us to be? Out of the 11 players in the starting Line up only 3 of them can be described as attacking and we only had one recognised striker on the pitch.
We weren't going gung ho early on like we usually do, Infact the first 20 minutes were a non event until Gerrard f##ked up
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:57 pm

Stu the Red » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:31 pm wrote:

Are you for real?

STU the master of retrospect...Point us to the pre-game comment where you suggested we play for a draw? We played the Liverpool Way ,we played to our strength and not to our weakness ,playing a defensive game is playing to our weakness ,we are only here in case someone forget is because we score more then we conceed,And today it took a terrible mistake to break us ,Not sure what you envisioned as our backup plan for today.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:22 pm

The players were stumped after the first 20 minutes. We needed to find a way through but Coutinho, Johnson and Lucas in particular didnt help. Suarez had another off day and Gerrard lost concentration for a split second.
Of course if the manager gets the credit he must also get the criticism, but today was more about them strangling the game and getting away with time wasting, which was ironically added on for them to score their goal! The ref should have laid the law down in the first 10 minutes, but he didnt so they kept it up and had the desired effect.
Mourinho is an odious, arrogant, boring cu'nt but he knows how to win football matches. I would rather have Rodgers style any day. Thats not to say we dont need to learn how to break sides down, but we did well enough to score an equaliser. In the end we were our own worst enemy and I will give credit to chelsea for taking advantage of our mistakes. We must learn from this for the future if we want to win titles and European games.
BTW. Its still not over!
:no
Thommo's perm

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:24 pm

Mourinho never even dignified Rodgers with a handshake and disappeared down the tunnel  ,the man is the total antithesis of Rodgers
and I'm so happy we have the latter as our manager because even in his post match interview he exuded humility and class.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion