Brendan Rodgers thread (signs extended contract)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby parchpea » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:06 am

Media will try to unsettle us but naturally the big hitters will be keeping an eye on Rodgers.

I am certain FSG will be looking to offer him one hella contract though and he will sign it surely and if I where him with
an underwriting he has more control over transfers now, he's earned that respect, and they should trust his judgement
and provide the finance to cover it.

No last minute deadline mess ups in Ukraine, get the job done. This is one area we can still improve on.

This guy has done it with the lead pulling tight round his neck yet never judging his employer publicly, magnificent.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Octsky » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:05 am

What we need to take note is not to offer rogers a long term contract, dont get me wrong he is doing great work here but we need to learn from clubs who offered long term contracts to managers who had a wonder season then performed poorly in the next. Alan padrew 6 yrs contract with Newcastle, moyes 6 yrs contract with man u, our own rafa final long term contract with us. I dont want rogers to get a long term contract with us n lose his hunger
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:22 am

I agree with keeping the incentive and hunger within the contract.

Guess these 6-10 year deals are propaganda anyway to give the impression of long term stability but within the
terms there's an easy way out for the club if performance is below a certain level.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:32 am

Octsky » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:05 am wrote:What we need to take note is not to offer rogers a long term contract, dont get me wrong he is doing great work here but we need to learn from clubs who offered long term contracts to managers who had a wonder season then performed poorly in the next. Alan padrew 6 yrs contract with Newcastle, moyes 6 yrs contract with man u, our own rafa final long term contract with us. I dont want rogers to get a long term contract with us n lose his hunger
if you were RoDgers and only got offered a short term extension, what would you think?

Rodgers has a vision and philosophy, that despite a challenging first season, has come through and proven doubters wrongs.

He deserves more than a short term contract, I have full faith that he is no one season wonder. As a supporter I want here off the long term, a long term contract goes a good way to securing that. Bring it on.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Octsky » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:00 am

SouthCoastShankly » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:32 am wrote:
Octsky » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:05 am wrote:What we need to take note is not to offer rogers a long term contract, dont get me wrong he is doing great work here but we need to learn from clubs who offered long term contracts to managers who had a wonder season then performed poorly in the next. Alan padrew 6 yrs contract with Newcastle, moyes 6 yrs contract with man u, our own rafa final long term contract with us. I dont want rogers to get a long term contract with us n lose his hunger
if you were RoDgers and only got offered a short term extension, what would you think?

Rodgers has a vision and philosophy, that despite a challenging first season, has come through and proven doubters wrongs.

He deserves more than a short term contract, I have full faith that he is no one season wonder. As a supporter I want here off the long term, a long term contract goes a good way to securing that. Bring it on.

letting rogers signs a new long term contract does not mean that he will be seeing out that contract.
it only means that whoever it can be man city, PSG or RM to pay us the remaining amount left on the contract.
so signing rogers on a 3 yr deal or a 6 yr deal makes no difference if the manager is easily tempted by "bigger" clubs and we are not a small club either.

whilst the club needs to let the manager knows that his future is secure with us, signing him on a long term contract will only
breed complacency. moyes will be long gone from manu if he was on a shorter contract, now that we are happy that the rot continues.
even wenger, arguably the most successful gonner manager works on a three yr rolling contract. i guess a 4 yrs contract will be fair to rogers and team.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:43 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:53 pm wrote:Time for FSG to get their @rses into gear and put a new contract on the table.

In response to questions at the weekend about his contract BR himself has said

Daily Express online . Sun, March 16, 2014
"It is something I don’t think the club should look at until the end of the season. I am not crying out for anything really. I am happy here.

It is an incredible club and if it (the contract) goes down to the last day, that’s it. My only focus and concentration is trying to get the best out of the players here, to keep Luis Suarez, to keep other players.

We have done a good job and the owners are happy. We will talk. I would never want the club to be distracted by worrying about me. They don’t have to worry.

I look after myself, so I don’t have an agent pumping out stories about me not being happy (to help secure a new contract).”

Sounds like he's happy and isn't going anywhere.

As some have said, other than a statement of intent  "contracts" don't mean all that much. I'd offer BR a four year deal and perhaps more importantly a very significant transfer chest .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby devaney » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:16 am

I think he has done a fantastic job and I'm delighted with his success. Personally I think it is highly unlikely that he is going anywhere. To walk away from the success that he has achieved would be crazy. He wants more than anything to put Liverpool back where we belong and he has only just started. I believe that he is here for the long term. His success will be recognised with a new contract and an extra few quid a week. Who knows we may just start paying him more than Alardyce  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:17 am

woof woof ! » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:20 pm wrote:
SouthCoastShankly » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:33 am wrote:
Thommo's perm » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:02 am wrote:I cant be ar'sed looking, but wasnt there some sort of poll to see where we would finish this season? Im sure most of those who took part stated that we would finish outside of the top 4? Its funny now that people are starting to think that mistakes being made could stop us from winning the league!
Its a funny old game...
:nod

Yeah I was thinking the same.

If I remember correctly in preseason the spectrum of views ranged from -

* optimists - top four finish, no one realistically thought a title challenge would happen though)
* pessimists - Europa league finish at best
* miserable gits (Benny, etc) - didn't rate the manager, didn't offer any chance of this squad doing anything.

I never expected us to be this good but I did think we could confidently push for 4th spot.

60 votes were cast in that poll 31 of them had us in the top 4

The thread "Where will we finish in pl 2013/2014" is currently on page two of the Liverpool FC-General Discussion section .

I was one of the 7 who said we would be champions
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:22 am

He has adapted to Liverpool really well. He is a red through and through. I don't think he'll be going anywhere soon.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:30 am

leeroy74 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:22 am wrote:He has adapted to Liverpool really well. He is a red through and through. I don't think he'll be going anywhere soon.

:nod  yeah, I've got a feeling he'd like to stick around and eventually see himself remembered as one of the great LFC managers.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby lakes10 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:34 am

leeroy74 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:22 am wrote:He has adapted to Liverpool really well. He is a red through and through. I don't think he'll be going anywhere soon.

no, Liverpool adapted to him very well or tings would not of changed the way they have.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:49 am

he only brought back the style we used to play. now he's bringing back the success too.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:16 pm

Personally I'd give him a long term contract, I think he's the type of manager that wants somewhere to hang his hat long term, if Barcelona did make a serious offer for him I think Brendan would be seriously tempted but I also think he's wise enough to take a look at the average tenure of managers at the big 2 Spanish clubs, sometimes even success isn't even enough to keep managers in a job over there, those clubs are so political behind the scene's it's untrue.
I remember reading Bobby Robsons autobiography and he said there are umpteen factions all scrambling for club members votes and all trying to get 'their man' into the managers seat, how the team is doing is often peripheral, they just want their man in the top job to increase their own influence and power.
I don't think a long term contract would dull Rodgers ambition, Brendan's not soft he knows this is a results business and if our results were extremely poor over a sustained period of time he would get the sack, all a long contract would mean is that he would get a big pay off.
I'd give him that long contract as a show of faith in his methods, in this era of mega rich clubs our only hope of competing at the very top is finding a manager who has a vision and philosophy that is so good it can negate the power of the mega-rich clubs money.
I'm not even sure if such a manager even exists but Brendan Rodgers is about as close to that manager as we are ever likely to get. He has performed a minor miracle this year and his team have done it playing such a swashbuckling style that even our biggest rivals fans are doffing their caps in our direction, even if we win f##k all with him in charge at least the football will never be dull, as far as I'm concerned they can give him a 10 year contract.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby laza » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:55 pm

.[/quote]

60 votes were cast in that poll 31 of them had us in the top 4

The thread "Where will we finish in pl 2013/2014" is currently on page two of the Liverpool FC-General Discussion section .[/quote]

I was one of the 7 who said we would be champions
:nod[/quote]

Welcome to a very exclusive and hopefully by May a very smug group   :D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:09 pm

leeroy74 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:49 am wrote:he only brought back the style we used to play. now he's bringing back the success too.

The Best Manager in the PL ,no doubt.
only me
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion