Being a doomer and gloomer for a mo'.. - What if we fall short this term?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby GYBS » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:24 am

GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:25 am

Nowhere on the thread have I said I want to sack the manager.

Yes, true, you didn't say it. And you even looked moderately optimistic.

But you asked a "what if things go pear shaped" no? Believe it or not I think if things go pear shaped, Rafa will be sácked.

And I have mentioned Toshack because he thinks Dalglish may be the next manager.

I would like to know if things go pear shaped (that's the topic), and Rafa is sácked (I think it's a possibility after 4 years witout titles), what do you LOT think about Dalglish as manager.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:29 am

Sabre wrote:

But you asked a "what if things go pear shaped no"? Believe it or not I think if things go pear shaped, Rafa will be sácked.

And I have mentioned Toshack because he thinks Dalglish may be the next manager.

I would like to know if things go pear shaped (that's the title of the topic), and Rafa is sácked (I think it's a possibility after 4 years witout titles), what do you LOT think about Dalglish as manager.

i cant see Kenny ever managing the club again mate for a number of reasons .

1. The game has moved on a lot in 18 years and dont think Kenny would want or need the pressures that come with it these days - he loves his football and the club and is a massive fan who is loving his involvement he has with the kids and Rafa and is also a massive Rafa fan himself - Im pretty sure Kenny wouldnt want to be in the limelight anymore
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:31 am

Sabre wrote:

But you asked a "what if things go pear shaped" no? Believe it or not I think if things go pear shaped, Rafa will be sácked.

I would like to know if things go pear shaped (that's the title of the topic), and Rafa is sácked (I think it's a possibility after 4 years witout titles), what do you LOT think about Dalglish as manager.

Sabre yours was a sensbile post, and wasn't one I was referring to. I think a lot depends on how we go, as you say season long injuries to Gerrard and Torres would obviously not be the managers fault and would have an effect on our chances.

For me, my parameter is that we genuinely challenge and we don't feck it up through silliness. As long as both of those things come to pass, I'd be happy for Rafa to see out his contract. If we keep doing it right and challenging, we're bound to win it sooner or later.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:35 am

Mick why dont you just come out and say mine wasnt sensible due to that first line instead of skirting round the issue and crying about it and the thread on a daily constant basis ? i thought woof had asked for it all to stop - i posted my thoughts i didnt slag you off nor did i have a go at what you posted nor did i have any dig or bring up any old flame war - so what exactly is the problem this time.

i said yesterday end of discussion about that particular incident and move on yet you keep bringing it up ? why ?
Last edited by GYBS on Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:40 am

Sabre wrote:

I would like to know if things go pear shaped (that's the topic), and Rafa is sácked (I think it's a possibility after 4 years witout titles), what do you LOT think about Dalglish as manager.

if he indeed does come in and doesnt win a title in 4 years he'll be just as good as Rafa was... :lookaround

Just kidding, to be honest im not so sure about it... i mean yes the guy has been fantastic in his day but is he still good enough ? Personally id go for someone whos been around in recent times winning things on a regular basis...

Anyways, dont think Rafa will get sacked or any of that, and this particular hypothetical situation i feel will take this thread down a dark road the thread starter clearly didnt wanna go down as he clearly and repeatedly stated...

so to get things back to the topic a little, ill say that if we do exactly the same way we did last season, we'll win it... if we dont the manager will obviously take some blame for not learning from his mistakes...etc but he'll be given another chance to go for it...

However, this season its very important for us to go one better i think because if we dont, i think it'll be a much harder ask to compete with the other top sides in 2 seasons... if Chelsea fail to win it i can see them spending big to reinforce their squad.. if manutd dont then its pretty much the same, ManCity will be force to be reckoned with by then imo and Arsenal could finally get their balance right by then... so yes it is important for us to go out and give it our best shot this season... and if we dont, then questions will surely be asked about missing not one, but two "golden opportunities"...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:47 am

Could this be Man Citys one big chance this season ? if they dont succeed this season despite  how much money they have do you think other big players will go there ? they have spent a lot of money but imo only really bought one top class player in Tevez the others being decent prem players - if they dont succeed i can see players like Robinho on there way and cant see them getting any other top class players . Arsenal cant spend their money due to both wengers relecutance to buy big and put his faith in his kids and the debt they have now with the lack of sale of the highbury estate . Cant see Chelsea forking out big again due to Abramovich loosing half his fortune with the money market - Man Utd will strengthen of that there is no doubt and they will always be there .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:51 am

GYBS wrote:Mick why dont you just come out and say mine wasnt sensible due to that first line instead of skirting round the issue and crying about it and the thread on a daily constant basis ? i thought woof had asked for it all to stop - i posted my thoughts i didnt slag you off nor did i have a go at what you posted nor did i have any dig or bring up any old flame war - so what exactly is the problem this time.

i said yesterday end of discussion about that particular incident and move on yet you keep bringing it up ? why ?

Gybs you're all over the place now picking fights with pretty much everyone you dont agree with... your footie contribution doesnt amount to 5% of what you post and god dammit fella you post alot ! Its ruining alot of threads now and is getting pretty boring, and no its not Micks fault because hes not the only one you've been arguing tirelessly with in the last few days...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:53 am

Also on the subject of a lack of striker depth in the gossip it says that West ham are looking to bring in both Gudjohnsen and Toni on a season long loan - either one of those could do a job for us for a season .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:54 am

aCe' wrote:
GYBS wrote:Mick why dont you just come out and say mine wasnt sensible due to that first line instead of skirting round the issue and crying about it and the thread on a daily constant basis ? i thought woof had asked for it all to stop - i posted my thoughts i didnt slag you off nor did i have a go at what you posted nor did i have any dig or bring up any old flame war - so what exactly is the problem this time.

Gybs you're all over the place now picking fights with pretty much everyone you dont agree with... your footie contribution doesnt amount to 5% of what you post and god dammit fella you post alot ! Its ruining alot of threads now and is getting pretty boring, and no its not Micks fault because hes not the only one you've been arguing tirelessly with in the last few days...

im trying to stick to the football and the debate and it doesnt help with people constantly having digs and bringing up stuff ok .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:05 am

GYBS wrote:Could this be Man Citys one big chance this season ? if they dont succeed this season despite  how much money they have do you think other big players will go there ? they have spent a lot of money but imo only really bought one top class player in Tevez the others being decent prem players - if they dont succeed i can see players like Robinho on there way and cant see them getting any other top class players . Arsenal cant spend their money due to both wengers relecutance to buy big and put his faith in his kids and the debt they have now with the lack of sale of the highbury estate . Cant see Chelsea forking out big again due to Abramovich loosing half his fortune with the money market - Man Utd will strengthen of that there is no doubt and they will always be there .

Naaa, as long as they have the money they'll keep spending it on good players... Toure, Adebayor, Barry, Given, Tevez, Robinho, and to a lesser extent Micah Richards and Bridge are all players who are good enough to play at the highest level... some of them might not be world class, infact besides Given i dont class any of them to be world class, but they're all good enough to be part of a title winning side... as i said, they all came to the club knowing that its a project in the making.. probably take them atleast 2 or 3 years to get things sorted out and i think theyll just add to what they have next year... so yes i do think theyll be in with a big shout in 2 seasons... Chelsea still have the best squad in the league.. if they do decide to renovate what they have, most of the players they have will probably bring in big money, im sure Abrahamovic wouldnt mind chipping in with a few mill too so money to them, shouldnt be a big worry, i wouldnt think... Arsenal to me, have the best attacking talent in the league... they also have the best youngsters and one of the best managers in the world... get a few quality players in defensive positions like everyone is calling for and theyll be an excellent side...

anyways... sorry to take the thread a little off track but it just goes on to show that other factors that arent so obvious would also come into contention when talking about the issue... We could end up 2nd, one point away from the champions and it could still end up being a massive dissapointment for us in the longer run... as things stand, its an opportunity, a striker missing from 30yards out isnt the same as a striker missing from 6yards out.. sure the end result is the same, but how hard the scoring situation was also comes into consideration when discussing whether hes a success or not...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:09 am

The fact that what pi.sses me off about the owner is that we are seeing the other big 3 hasn't really improved. Our squad is so closed that it is worth investing in this year. With only couple of addition, for sure, we can pull away from the pack. This will only increase the club value. If worse case scenerio, we can always sell next year. But really not much risk investing more for this year squad. YOu can do the math as the 20million standard fund was never found. Rafa only able to buy from the sales of Xabi....I don't know how many times the owner had screwed us around...He had shown he is in it for the money only. They need to feck off... :angry:
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:18 am

On the question of the owners and money, I'm not going too much out on a limb when I say that if we'd bought Tevez, and if we buy Mathew Upson, we'll win the league. I'm fairly certain that is the case, as I think even with shortcomings cover wise in certain areas we'd cope well enough. Tevez would have been able to fill in for either Gerrard or Torres, and would have been comfortable playing wide on either side. Upson would IMHO force his way into our starting eleven, particularly given Aggers injury woes.

Now obviously I'm assuming/hoping that Aquilani doesn't completely flop, but if we give him a 7/10 for his first season, the addition of those two players would have us as strong favourites for the title IMHO. Tevez cost 25 mill, and Upson would be 10-15. To me it looks like value, and I agree with Akumaface that it would add value to the club anyway. Now is definately not the time to be getting all fecking penny pinching, it's time for the opposite.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:19 am

Arsenal are a strnage one Ace as yes they got some great attacking ability but lack any steal or substance to go with it and have lacked since Veira left - now with massive rumours of Fabregas going to barce getting more and more susbstance that leaves arsenal very short and they have a lot of unfulfilled potential there and can see them slipping backwards this season - Chelsea - despite having a great strong squad look at the ages of the players  - all reaching 30 early 30s so the price any of them get will be very low and there isnt much younger talent there and i think that squad has maybe one or two more seasons before they get dismanteled and cant see Abramovich forking out the kind of money required to rebuild it - this is why i think Ancellotti as arrived to get the trophy russian wants - the CL - think its two years or bust for them now - Man City they seem like a sub standard bunch of galacticos to me - yeah some decent players in there but once again no steal or substance - no leader on the pitch and overall i think a lack of any experience but saying all that can see them overtaking Arsenal and be at the head of a  new group of 5 teams behind a new big three of Liverpool,Man Utd and Chelsea. It is going to be an interesting couple of seasons ahead of us and think its a really great chance for us to really push on and win titles - our squad is good enough and young enough to do it .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:26 am

akumaface wrote:The fact that what pi.sses me off about the owner is that we are seeing the other big 3 hasn't really improved. Our squad is so closed that it is worth investing in this year. With only couple of addition, for sure, we can pull away from the pack. This will only increase the club value. If worse case scenerio, we can always sell next year. But really not much risk investing more for this year squad. YOu can do the math as the 20million standard fund was never found. Rafa only able to buy from the sales of Xabi....I don't know how many times the owner had screwed us around...He had shown he is in it for the money only. They need to feck off... :angry:

i guess it all depends on if Rafa buys anyone else before the window closes - we can see that he is after a replacement for Sami and also strong rumours of someone like krancjar being looked at - two players like that would improve the squad and would take our spending past our incomings with them being even at the moment i think .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion