Bellamy and pennant. - Risk?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:10 pm

bigmick wrote:Throw new personalities into a group of people, be they photocopier manufacturers, town planners or footballers and you alter the dynamic. Different leaders emerge, different factions and sub groups are formed and different people will feel marginalised.
Bellamy and Pennant are no different in this regard from Palletta, Aurelio and Gonzalez. The team ethic will change, it's as simple as that. It is the job of the management and senior players to ensure the transition bares a positive fruit.
My own feeling is that a little well channelled feistiness on a football pitch is no bad thing. The Manchester United team of the late nineties in it's pomp was a snarling and powerfully motivated bunch of footballers, willing to engage in either a football match or trench warfare whichever you preferred. Similarly the best Liverpool teams weren't short of men who were willing to grasp the moment, to take the game by the scruff of the neck to coin an old chestnut. This can take the form of a 35 yard blockbuster Steven Gerrard style, or it can take the form of a hotly disputed decision, a crunching tackle or a clenched fist appeal to the fans to up the noise.
Sheer force of will can change football matches. Players such as Roy Keane and Graham Souness made a career out of not saying "it's not our day today" and simply refusing to be beaten. Witness Pennants full-blooded booting of the water bottle in frustration when in a team being beaten 7-0 in the FA Cup or Bellamy's one man crusade against the World when on the losing team. Disruptive? Irresponsible on occasions? Probably but such players can be invaluable if the aggression is pointed in the right direction.
FWIW I think Bellamy will prove to be a brilliant signing. He had the look last season of a player who had finally got it. He now understands the game and his role within it and crucially how he can positively effect the outcome. Pennant has more to prove in my view, but with good players and strong characters around him he may also prove to be a bargain.
I have this image of when when we played Chelsea at Stamford Bridge last season. I felt we were much the better team for the first twenty minutes or so, then conceded a really poor goal to william Gallas from a set-piece. From then on, save for a few sporadic moments we seemed to almost accept defeat as inevitable to me. Even when Crespo scored the second there was still 25 minutes to go but the game was over at that point. My hope and belief is that we are bringing in players who fight to the death, using every ounce of their ability and knowhow to change the tide of the match.
Such players, winners as they are commonly known are born not made. Sometimes they need nurturing by quality managers to bring out the best in them. We have the quality manager, and we may just have found a couple of players.

:buttrock

Great observation Mick . I've not been a fan of Bellamy or Pennant but can only agree with your summary. Football skill aside their "fire" can only benefit LFC . I think you've converted me  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Billy_5_Times » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:22 pm

GOAT wrote:

So you saw enough of zenden last year to make your mind up that he is useless? Thats funny since he missed the majority of the season through injury...

And you say we have enough left wingers to get rid of zenden yet it is well known zenden is going to be used in a central midfield role this season.

Krompkamp is off and about time too? What? He's only been here 7 months..

Your comments about kewell and garcia are over the top too.[/quote]
Zenden may of been out for the majority of the season but you can make your mind up on a player after his 1st couple of games and my mind is made up about poor old Bolo, he's useless.

Kromkamp he may of been here for a short time but again I have made my mind up on him. Nothing special.

Kewell and Garcia are a discgrace. Wearing 2 of our most famous numbers, 7 and 10. Think of our number 7s then compare to them Kewell. Do the same for our number 10s and compare them to Garcia. Still think my views are over the top?
"I'd kick my own brother if necessary, that's what football is about" Steve McMahon
Billy_5_Times

Postby GOAT » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:34 pm

Billy_5_Times wrote:
GOAT wrote:

So you saw enough of zenden last year to make your mind up that he is useless? Thats funny since he missed the majority of the season through injury...

And you say we have enough left wingers to get rid of zenden yet it is well known zenden is going to be used in a central midfield role this season.

Your comments about kewell and garcia are over the top too.

Zenden may of been out for the majority of the season but you can make your mind up on a player after his 1st couple of games and my mind is made up about poor old Bolo, he's useless.

Kromkamp he may of been here for a short time but again I have made my mind up on him. Nothing special.

Kewell and Garcia are a discgrace. Wearing 2 of our most famous numbers, 7 and 10. Think of our number 7s then compare to them Kewell. Do the same for our number 10s and compare them to Garcia. Still think my views are over the top?[/quote]
Yes. Ridiculous.
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby weringo » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:15 pm

Billy_5_Times wrote:I seen enough of Zenden last year to make my mind up on him. He is useless. Kewell has 1 good game in every 5 and that is simply not good enough. Luis Garcia I can't wait to see the back of. Kromkamp is off and about time to. Traore overstayed his welcome on his debut. I can't see Dudek staying too much longer.

I want Pongolle to stay. He gives us a different option up front.

With all these people I want out of the club there is to many I want to bring in. I think we can afford to lose Harry and Bolo because we have a number of left backs who can play left mid if Speedy Gonzalez gets injured. When Garcia plays we play with a man down so we don't need a replacement for him.

What a load of :censored: in that post. Kewell was one of our best performers last year and to be able to say you have Harry Kewell on the bench as backup for Gonzales is what you need to have to be contending for the Premiership.

How can you slate Garcia? Last season he was mostly played out of position on the right wing, only for the reason that we had no natural right winger last season. When he is played in his best position just off the main striker he plays very well. He is also a big game player as we saw in the Champions League scoring against Juventus and Chelsea and also in the FA Cup last season against Chelsea. He is one of our key players in the knockout competitions

Kromkamp was also played out of position last season on the right wing so he cannot be judged on those performances. In the couple of times we saw him play right-back which is clearly where he prefers to play he seemed to be very capable.
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:38 pm

Bellamy at Blackburn
Pennant at Birmingham
Big fish at little ponds

Bellamy and Pennant at Liverpool
Little fish in the biggest pond there is

Players will grow up quickly when they know they're at a club where their name isn't the first on the team sheet every week. Bellamy has impressed me greatly so far with his comments on the pitch and his application on it, and I back Pennant to do similarly.
ivor_the_injun

Postby LFCFan4Life » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:00 am

Billy_5_Times wrote:
GOAT wrote:

Your comments about kewell and garcia are over the top too.

Kewell and Garcia are a discgrace. Wearing 2 of our most famous numbers, 7 and 10. Think of our number 7s then compare to them Kewell. Do the same for our number 10s and compare them to Garcia. Still think my views are over the top?[/quote]
Where the f#ck is Stu, when you need him.

"Get a clue lad"

:laugh:  :laugh:
You'll Never Walk Alone drummerphil
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby Kev Huyton 2006 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:19 am

GOAT wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:I seen enough of Zenden last year to make my mind up on him. He is useless. Kewell has 1 good game in every 5 and that is simply not good enough. Luis Garcia I can't wait to see the back of. Kromkamp is off and about time to. Traore overstayed his welcome on his debut. I can't see Dudek staying too much longer.

I want Pongolle to stay. He gives us a different option up front.

With all these people I want out of the club there is to many I want to bring in. I think we can afford to lose Harry and Bolo because we have a number of left backs who can play left mid if Speedy Gonzalez gets injured. When Garcia plays we play with a man down so we don't need a replacement for him.

Your talking a lot of sh.it there

I think you are talking sense actually.

Zenden is not that imperssive, and is virtually a brand new signing as we saw NOTHING o him last trm, he has it all to prove.

The Kewell thing, one good game in five is about accurate.

He is one dimensonal also, and Risse and others are more effective.
Kev Huyton 2006

Postby Des » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:19 am

If thats his opinion brother, thats his opinion! What if Hes right ? What he says about some of the individuals of today, against the quality of days of yore... But its a team game now, where individuals dont matter as much, so youre right too . :nod
In another life ? Everyone will be equal :;):
IGNORANCE IS BLISS
Des

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:29 am

I wish I hadn't started this now, it's riddled with p.ricks talking about Zenden which has nothing to do with whether Pennant or Bellamy are a risk to Liverpool reputation.
48-1119859832

Postby Des » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:42 am

0asis wrote:I wish I hadn't started this now, it's riddled with p.ricks talking about Zenden which has nothing to do with whether Pennant or Bellamy are a risk to Liverpool reputation.

Thats a nice way of describing your fellow fans and forum friends....
Im gonna geeya a bit of advice here..Lift it up  :;):

Try a little tenderness,itll make ya feel better brother.

My opinion of the risk involving these 2 , is its nothing to worry about. When a grenade is in the right hands it only explodes when its supposed to.
IGNORANCE IS BLISS
Des

Postby El Nino_#9 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:43 am

there's always a risk in signing any kind of player.
i was impressed with pennant when he came on the pitch today. assist for a goal.
and bellamy, 2 goals in 2 games.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:44 am

Well what does Zenden and Kewell "not being good enough" to play for Liverpool got to do with whether Pennant or Bellamy are risks to Liverpool?
48-1119859832

Postby El Nino_#9 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:47 am

sometimes you've got to take a risk to be a success!

:buttrock  :D
Last edited by El Nino_#9 on Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:50 am

funny i was just thinking as i watched the game... why dont we play sissoko/gerrard/alonso and garcia/pennant and bellamy in out first 11... looks like the best 11 to me ! gonzales is good but with aurelio or riise going forward we can cover that left flank pretty well ...with garcia helping as a second striker! i mean.. gerrard/sissoko/alonso have to start in centre midfield because thats the reason liverpool are so commanding in midfield !
Bellamy isnt quite target man material but even so, our fast game would suit the starting 11 imo !
:D  ... doesnt have to do much with bellamy and pennant...sorry....
Well...They'r both good and bellamy can be huge if he can find the target often in the strt of the season.... i dont see why everyone is so excited about pennant crossing 500 crosses last season...last time i checked....crouch coudnt head that ball into the net fot sh!t ! hope he has improved since ! mmm....pennant would be great in dribbling and taking on oppositions along the sidelines tho...would open up spaces for the 3 center midfielders to distribute balls and try long shots so......yea....plenty of options... and for all it's worth...i dont think either of the two would get in trouble now that they'v signed for liverpool..
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:12 am

0asis wrote:I wish I hadn't started this now, it's riddled with p.ricks talking about Zenden which has nothing to do with whether Pennant or Bellamy are a risk to Liverpool reputation.

Nice to know what you really think of me...  :(  :sniffle  :D
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion